Morrissey - a live nod to U2 at Glastonbury?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is however, a big difference between being mean versus immature and ignorant.

We are not in Britain or Australia...

Ignorant? Who? Us?

Dude if I'm wrong, if Moz so much as mentions Bono, U2, Edge, Flood, Dublin, the Zoo, kneeling, soul, Gavin Friday, hell, even the word Friday, I'll buy you a gift certificate to your favorite retail outlet or restaurant (Applebees?) and I will compose a haiku in your honor, detailing how perceptive you are while at the same time admitting how dramatic, juvenile and just plain wrong I am/was.

:cute: Aww. For a scumbo that's a real nice thing to say.

Morrissey bought a house in Dublin at one point. I don't think he's ever been a U2 fan, however.

I think redhill still thinks Satellite of Love is a U2 song, or a song people associate with U2.

Why would you assume that?

Don't most fans who are familiar with Zoo TV associate that song with U2 from that tour (without incorrectly thinking it is a U2 song?)

Morrissey bought a house in Dublin at one point. I don't think he's ever been a U2 fan, however.

He did call them sexy and he is also aware that Clayton was born in England which seems like something someone less familiar with the band might not know...

I wonder what gift certificate I'll pick ;]

He did call them sexy and he is also aware that Clayton was born in England which seems like something someone less familiar with the band might not know...

I wonder what gift certificate I'll pick ;]

Co-incidentally, I've spent the entire evening doing nothing but reading Morrissey interviews. Then I log on here, and see this thread.

When he lived in Dublin, he may have run into them at awards ceremonies and the like. I just never got the impression he knew them well or had strong views on their music one way or the other. It's not the type of music he tends to like, as a rule. His tastes tend to be more offbeat. On the other hand, he said he wanted the Smiths to be as big as Queen, but you can never tell how serious he is being with comments like that.

Don't most fans who are familiar with Zoo TV associate that song with U2 from that tour (without incorrectly thinking it is a U2 song?)

Maybe. Personally, and I suspect I'm not alone in this, I had never heard of the song before U2 covered it. But the point is being made - with unnecessary and snide rudeness, by a few of the children on here, so I'll try and be more civil - that there's no particular reason to assume Morrissey is giving a nod to U2 by covering that song. Much more likely is that he is simply paying homage to Lou Reed, who he has spoken of approvingly in interviews in the past.

But the point is being made - with unnecessary and snide rudeness, by a few of the children on here, so I'll try and be more civil

Ignoring the hypocrisy NSW noted and edited because he gives no shit, your ideal Interference would be dull as fuck, a series of incompetently-phrased or illogical questions answered politely.

"Why is yellow?"

"That is not exactly a question, as such."

"Oh, OK. Bye!"

No thanks.

Ignoring the hypocrisy NSW noted and edited because he gives no shit, your ideal Interference would be dull as fuck, a series of incompetently-phrased or illogical questions answered politely.

"Why is yellow?"

"Oh, OK. Bye!"

No thanks.
i picture it as being like one of those old-timey gentlemen's clubs....the kind with hard, uncomfortable leather seats, entire walls as bookshelves full of legal journals and the scent of aged scotch and everyone looks more or less like winston churchill.

i picture it as being like one of those old-timey gentlemen's clubs....the kind with hard, uncomfortable leather seats, entire walls as bookshelves full of legal journals and the scent of aged scotch and everyone looks more or less like winston churchill.

Ye Olde Interferencee: where everyone knows thine insanity full well and discusses it innocuously.

Ha, I get it, assume. Nice one. Brilliant. Although there's no "E" on the end, because we're not in Britain or Australia, so it would be "assum."

And no. Just as I don't associate Helter Skelter with U2 just because I saw Rattle & Hum.

"Why is yellow?"

"Oh, OK. Bye!"

No thanks.

Look, maybe the dude genuinely didn't realise Satellite is not a U2 song. I don't know. It's possible. Lou Reed, after all, is not Elvis. He's a musician who had pretty limited popular success in his youth, but has since become somewhat well-known - partially because of the homage paid to his work by the likes of the likes of Bono, Morrissey and other people of that generation, the one that succeeded Reed's. There's the old cliche that only around 100 people bought the Velvet Underground's albums, but everyone who did immediately went off and started their own band.

Heavens, I've seen worse sins committed against musical knowledge & taste on here than not realising Satellite of Love was a Lou Reed song. We've had threads about Bon Jovi and Coldplay.

We are not in Britain or Australia...

Shit, I didn't realise that I had to go through passport control before logging onto Interference. Am I now an illegal Internet immigrant?

As for the original question, it is scarcely less ridiculous than somebody in 1972 wondering "hey, is the release of this Satellite Of Love song a nod to the formation of an Irish band in four years' time?"

I think this is an excellent vision.

financeguy said:
Look, maybe the dude genuinely didn't realise Satellite is not a U2 song. I don't know. It's possible. Lou Reed, after all, is not Elvis. He's a musician who had pretty limited popular success in his youth, but has since become somewhat well-known - partially because of the homage paid to his word by the likes of the likes of Bono, Morrissey and other people of that generation, the one that succeeded Reed's. There's the old cliche that only around 100 people bought the Velvet Underground's albums, but everyone who did immediately went off and started their own band.

Heavens, I've seen worse sins committed against musical knowledge & taste on here than not realising Satellite of Love was a Lou Reed song. We've had threads about Bon Jovi and Coldplay.

But even if Morrissey had played The Fly, how could that possibly be construed as a nod to U2 saying they'd play more 90s hits at Glastonbury? Why would Morrissey even give a remote fuck?

The earth does not revolve around U2.

Shit, I didn't realise that I had to go through passport control before logging onto Interference. Am I now an illegal Internet immigrant?

As for the original question, it is scarcely less ridiculous than somebody in 1972 wondering "hey, is the release of this Satellite Of Love song a nod to the formation of an Irish band in four years' time?"
I don't think you understand: the Internet is in America.

Heavens, I've seen worse sins committed against musical knowledge & taste on here than not realising Satellite of Love was a Lou Reed song.

But, as far as I can tell (he never plead ignorance), he does realize that Satellite of Love is a Lou Reed song. He just thinks the world revolves around U2 to such a degree that Morrissey playing one of Lou Reed's most popular songs to honor U2 and their hit b-side version is a possibility.

Count that as my one considered response to this thread. Any and all contributions I make from here on out will be as immature and ignorant as my others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom