More Europe dates in 2011, album out in late 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They'll take their time and carefully consider a worthy album to be released to be "back in the game."

Well I think that worthy album is about to be recorded :)

And I think they were happy with the new album (in my opinion it's their second best album - first one is of course AB). A great album isn't necessarily a huge seller (if that's the proper word to use in this context).

Most U2 fans I know love the new album. And with the average album sells these days No Line did quite well I'd say.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I have a feeling that to chase a hit-single would, in fact, be a self-defeating objective. Only die-hard fans would buy the single AND the album. Singles otherwise tend to be bought by people with less interest in owning an album of the artist's material. Hit singles also tend to be disposable, fashionable, of the moment pieces - something U2 aren't really known for.

The only way I see them having a massive hit SINGLE would be if it were to be released with the clear understanding that it would not be appearing on an album.

Selfishly I hope they concentrate on producing quality music from their hearts rather than trying to bottle something teenagers will gulp down and forget. I hope they don't "try" to hard.

And I think they were happy with the new album (in my opinion it's their second best album - first one is of course AB). A great album isn't necessarily a huge seller (if that's the proper word to use in this context).

Most U2 fans I know love the new album. And with the average album sells these days No Line did quite well I'd say.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Don't get me wrong, I like the album alot. And I'm sure Bono and the others do as well, otherwise they wouldn't have released it. What bothers them though is that the album wasn't a "hit" in broad terms, the single didn't hit #1, the album didn't do as well as the others, and so on. What we fans think of the album here is another topic. I don't wanna sound provocative and start a new debate, but to put it in simple terms: U2 thinks mass first, then fans (just like a stadium concert setlist). The album needs to be a big hit in order to sell.

I'm sure NLOTH not reaching its goal was a bit of a kick in the stomache to them. I believe them when they say that something like "Songs of Ascents" was on the papers, but that was at a time when they thought NLOTH would be a big hit and they could release an experimental album right after just for the hell of it (=us fans?). With NLOTH not reaching its standards though, I think plans for a "just for the hell of it" album have definitely been scrapped. They'll be in the studio producing 11 singles (I'm exaggerating a bit here obviously, but you get the point) until they're absolutely sure that the next album they'll put out will be a massive hit.

"Two crap albums and you're out". :) Bono has stated this many many times. I'm sure, he'll wait until he's absolutely sure the next album will hit everyone's nerve...in a good way.

I apologize. Word vomit.:reject:

I meant to say that they've cross-crossed Europe twice. Is there enough demand to warrant more European shows (especially in yet-to-be-U2-rocked places like Romania)? Have those Split rumors from long ago ever been confirmed?

Well they've never been to Romania, so I guess there would be enough animo there. And consider that their biggest european markets have been ignored in 2010, the UK, Ireland and Holland. They can easily sell out 2-3 shows here, plus 2-3 shows in Dublin. And weren't there rumours about Belfast at some point? They haven't played there in years.
I do reckon the French and German markets are pretty much sated, judging from this year's ticket sales. So perhaps a smaller tour through countries they didn't do in 2010 would work.

Well I think that worthy album is about to be recorded :)

Quick note on that, because it hasn't been brought up in your discussion and it sounds like maybe you hadn't heard.

Paul McG had made comments that made it sound like it was already recorded (this was a few months ago, I think).

Also, Cee Lo Green, in discussing whether or not he'd work with Danger Mouse again this year, said that DM was wrapping up the U2 project. That was right around the first of the year.

And consider that their biggest european markets have been ignored in 2010, the UK, Ireland and Holland. They can easily sell out 2-3 shows here, plus 2-3 shows in Dublin.

If what you say is true, then I'd love for them to play at Wembley again. I've always wanted to see a concert at that stadium. Shows at Wembely are known to be historical. And I've been dying to visit London.:drool:

Whether or not I'll be able to afford such a jaunt after my U2011 itinerary (see sig) is questionable, though.:(

Don't worry, Wembley isn't the best concert venue anyway (in my opinion, I was there in Sept and the sound was rubbish :( )

DM was wrapping up the

oh my heart almost stopped... I just got up and still half asleep read this part of the post and thought jeez a new Depeche Mode album is coming out?? haha.

yeah actually it's quite likely that the new album (I mean, the U2 one :) ) is already recorded and they're just doing the finishing touches or something.

this waiting is killing me. to be honest I less and less believe in those UK and Ireland dates :(

I've seen these dates on a Spanish forum. I don't know the source or the reliability. I just hope they are true! I have done a quick check and no other events are scheduled at these venues on these dates. The closest event e.g. at Wembley is a football match 3 days prior. Whether that is sufficient time to cover the pitch and erect the claw I do not know. I am not viewing these with any certainty at all though since the post also stated that these dates had been announced by U2 - which they plainly have not been.

August 25, 2011 - Amsterdam, Netherlands at Amsterdam Arena
September 3, 2011 - Belfast, Northern Ireland at Casement Park
September 6, 2011 - Edinburgh, Scotland at Murrayfield
September 9, 2011 - London, England at Wembley Stadium
September 16, 2011 - Dublin, Ireland at AVIVA Stadium

I've seen these dates on a Spanish forum. I don't know the source or the reliability. I just hope they are true! I have done a quick check and no other events are scheduled at these venues on these dates. The closest event e.g. at Wembley is a football match 3 days prior. Whether that is sufficient time to cover the pitch and erect the claw I do not know. I am not viewing these with any certainty at all though since the post also stated that these dates had been announced by U2 - which they plainly have not been.

gosh I'm having a heart attack

can you please post the link to that Spanish forum?

Seems like a small run with 3 claws, as Belfast-London is too small a window for transport and building time. With 3 Claws it also means Scotland would get solo use of it's claw - a very cost prohibitive way of touring.

Would other possible Euro dates be earlier?

Could Am, LDN or Dub do 3 shows or just 2?

Is Asia/Hawaii now out?

Seems like a small run with 3 claws, as Belfast-London is too small a window for transport and building time. With 3 Claws it also means Scotland would get solo use of it's claw - a very cost prohibitive way of touring.

Is Asia/Hawaii now out?

Earlier would be hard, seeing as the US leg ends in July. They need time to transport the Claw by boat to Europe again. Could take a week or two.

I sure hope these dates are true, but I'll believe it when I see it. They do coincide with earlier rumours we've had about Belfast, UK, Dutch and Irish dates. Though those claimed there were six dates.

Earlier would be hard, seeing as the US leg ends in July. They need time to transport the Claw by boat to Europe again. Could take a week or two.

I sure hope these dates are true, but I'll believe it when I see it. They do coincide with earlier rumours we've had about Belfast, UK, Dutch and Irish dates. Though those claimed there were six dates.

Dublin would be at least 2 shows, I'm sure. Wembley possibly 2 as well. What inspires some confidence in these dates is the fact that they allow sufficient time for the claw to cross the Atlantic and between dates for the transportation of the sound/lighting.

Is Asia/Hawaii now out?

They wouldn't need 3 claws for this - it would be doable with 2 I think. The closest gap for a 2 claw setup being Belfast - London 6 days which may just be workable with say a 2 day takedown, 1 day transport and 3 day setup.

3rd last city in the US is July 20th in NJ. Which gives 25 days to get to Amsterdam.

I would think something in Eastern Europe and maybe one venue in Norway is still possible.

What throws me with the above list is that the Edinburgh Claw would cross the Atlantic for only a single performance. Unless a show can go elsewhere on the 13th/14th.

They wouldn't need 3 claws for this - it would be doable with 2 I think. The closest gap for a 2 claw setup being Belfast - London 6 days which may just be workable with say a 2 day takedown, 1 day transport and 3 day setup.

We know Australia was done with 2 Claws. I think the same with South America.

They are all 9/10 days for overlap transport. Even Melbourne-Sydney which is a relatively short trip by road.

November 25, 2010: Auckland, New Zealand at Mt Smart Stadium
November 26, 2010: Auckland, New Zealand at Mt Smart Stadium
December 01, 2010: Melbourne, Australia at Etihad Stadium
December 03, 2010: Melbourne, Australia at Etihad Stadium
December 08, 2010: Brisbane, Australia at Suncorp Stadium
December 09, 2010: Brisbane, Australia at Suncorp Stadium
December 13, 2010: Sydney, Australia at ANZ Stadium
December 14, 2010: Sydney, Australia at ANZ Stadium
December 18, 2010: Perth, Australia at Subiaco Oval
December 19, 2010: Perth, Australia at Subiaco Oval

March 25, 2011: Santiago, Chile at National Stadium
March 30, 2011: La Plata, Argentina at Unico Stadium
April 02, 2011: La Plata, Argentina at Unico Stadium
April 09, 2011: Sao Paulo, Brazil at Morumbi Stadium
April 10, 2011: Sao Paulo, Brazil at Morumbi Stadium
April 13, 2011: Sao Paulo, Brazil at Morumbi Stadium

We know Australia was done with 2 Claws. I think the same with South America.

They are all 9/10 days for overlap transport. Even Melbourne-Sydney which is a relatively short trip by road.

November 25, 2010: Auckland, New Zealand at Mt Smart Stadium
November 26, 2010: Auckland, New Zealand at Mt Smart Stadium
December 01, 2010: Melbourne, Australia at Etihad Stadium
December 03, 2010: Melbourne, Australia at Etihad Stadium
December 08, 2010: Brisbane, Australia at Suncorp Stadium
December 09, 2010: Brisbane, Australia at Suncorp Stadium
December 13, 2010: Sydney, Australia at ANZ Stadium
December 14, 2010: Sydney, Australia at ANZ Stadium
December 18, 2010: Perth, Australia at Subiaco Oval
December 19, 2010: Perth, Australia at Subiaco Oval

March 25, 2011: Santiago, Chile at National Stadium
March 30, 2011: La Plata, Argentina at Unico Stadium
April 02, 2011: La Plata, Argentina at Unico Stadium
April 09, 2011: Sao Paulo, Brazil at Morumbi Stadium
April 10, 2011: Sao Paulo, Brazil at Morumbi Stadium
April 13, 2011: Sao Paulo, Brazil at Morumbi Stadium

Yeah but Brisbane-Perth is a hell of a long way (a 47 hour non-stop drive according to Google Maps) - and only a 9 day gap. With a double crew for each truck to keep the thing moving you've got to be thinking 3 or 4 days journey time v. the 1 day for Belfast-London which fits in with my 6 day theory.

Of course this could all be complete bollocks, but its a straw I don't mind clutching at!

Yeah but Brisbane-Perth is a hell of a long way (a 47 hour non-stop drive according to Google Maps) - and only a 9 day gap. With a double crew for each truck to keep the thing moving you've got to be thinking 3 or 4 days journey time v. the 1 day for Belfast-London which fits in with my 6 day theory.

2 Days strike down Brisbane
4 days to do 48hours worth of driving. Not sure if they alternate drivers.
3 days set up in Perth
9 days total.

Whereas getting Claw legs from Belfast to London in roughly 24 hours would be far more of a gamble. My point is that if these dates are plausible and they only take 2 claws it could have much better routing.

If they are taking 3 claws I would anticipate additional venues to justify 3 stages.

2 Days strike down Brisbane
4 days to do 48hours worth of driving. Not sure if they alternate drivers.
3 days set up in Perth
9 days total.

Whereas getting Claw legs from Belfast to London in roughly 24 hours would be far more of a gamble. My point is that if these dates are plausible and they only take 2 claws it could have much better routing.

I think the deciding factor in setting the dates for shows is venue availability/ local restrictions. They then have to manage transportation as best they can. Belfast-London in well under 24 hours is no gamble at all - unless there is a huge storm on the Irish Sea and the ferries can't move.

It may well be, if these dates are correct, that there are more venues to come e.g. Eastern Europe etc. and that 3 claws will be used. Alternatively, if McGuinness was serious about the tour ending in Asia then maybe one claw will be off to say Tokyo after the US leg, with 2 coming to Europe?

What I particularly like with these dates so far is how many are weekend nights:

Thursday (presumably to be followed by a Friday show?) August 25, 2011 - Amsterdam, Netherlands at Amsterdam Arena
Saturday September 3, 2011 - Belfast, Northern Ireland at Casement Park
Tuesday September 6, 2011 - Edinburgh, Scotland at Murrayfield
Friday (and Saturday?) September 9, 2011 - London, England at Wembley Stadium
Friday (and Saturday? and more?) September 16, 2011 - Dublin, Ireland at AVIVA Stadium

I think the deciding factor in setting the dates for shows is venue availability/ local restrictions. They then have to manage transportation as best they can. Belfast-London in well under 24 hours is no gamble at all - unless there is a huge storm on the Irish Sea and the ferries can't move.

Would road/ferry travel be in the 12-15 hour range best case scenario?

2 claws would mean that one delayed ferry or a highway pileup could put the London show in jeopardy.

IWhat I particularly like with these dates so far is how many are weekend nights:

Thursday (presumably to be followed by a Friday show?) August 25, 2011 - Amsterdam, Netherlands at Amsterdam Arena
Saturday September 3, 2011 - Belfast, Northern Ireland at Casement Park
Tuesday September 6, 2011 - Edinburgh, Scotland at Murrayfield
Friday (and Saturday?) September 9, 2011 - London, England at Wembley Stadium
Friday (and Saturday? and more?) September 16, 2011 - Dublin, Ireland at AVIVA Stadium

McG and Live Nation know that to make these shows(plus Am/Ldn/Dub additions) sell best to travelling Europeans they have to be as weekend friendly as possible.

Mid-September would work out perfect for my Ireland plans. But I'm going to try not to get too excited about what's only a rumored date.

ZOMG I AM FAILING!!! :panic: :panic: :panic:

Back
Top Bottom