More Europe dates in 2011, album out in late 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If U2 do have a new album out this fall, they'll definitely want to promote it in Europe. I think a possible 3rd European leg could include the following:

Ireland- 2 shows
Belfast
Scotland
Manchester
Sunderland
London- 1/2 shows, depending on the album's success
Amsterdam- 2 shows
Oslo
Stockholm
Prague
Maybe 1 show in Germany??
Paris
1 show somewhere else in France?
Madrid
Udine, Italy- Haven't been that way yet this tour, and Stadio Friuli has a 40,000-ish capacity, so they might sell it out
1 show somewhere Baltic? St. Petersburg, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus?
Budapest
Bucharest
Belgrade
Israel?
Cairo?

I count 24 possibilities there, which is about the right size for a 360 tour leg. Obviously all of these shows won't happen, but I can see a good bit of this happening. By the end of this, I would surely think demand would be absolutely dried up for U2 for a couple years.

You're dreaming out loud there, I think :wink:

My very optimistic guess (if it even happens)

2 shows in Ireland, or Belfast
2 shows in UK
1 show in France
1-2 shows in Holland
1 in Germany
1 in Italy
1 in Spain
1-2 in Scandinavia (probably Sweden, but Copenhagen would rock my world)
1-2 in Eastern Europe

It'll probably be less than that though. I would love to be proved wrong though!

As far as the Uk goes Manchester won't get a show - there's nowhere for them to play! London, Cardiff, Glasgow or Edinburgh thats yer lot unless they throw a curveball in like the Don Valley! I still think if they can play the Don Valley they can play the Alexandra Stadium in Birmingham, its about time the Midlands got a show

As the 2 main stadiums in Manchester are footballs stadiums Man U & Man C then i can't really see them play these unless the tour falls in June. They could however play the Cricket ground as Muse & Oasis have done recently i think it has about 30,000 seats plus a huge field so should be able to get 45,000 in!

andyuk! my brother, you excited for the new Kings of Leon album in October?

should be hearing the lead single sometime fairly soon.

As the 2 main stadiums in Manchester are footballs stadiums Man U & Man C then i can't really see them play these unless the tour falls in June. They could however play the Cricket ground as Muse & Oasis have done recently i think it has about 30,000 seats plus a huge field so should be able to get 45,000 in!

You may be right Andy? I'm guessing they would have played there last year if it was possible. Perhaps its a problem with getting the equipment in rather than capacity of venue?

As Kevin has already said, Manchester wont get a show.

1. United and City no longer allow Music concerts at their grounds
2. The 360 show has been a bit picky as to the venue's they play. Football and baseball stadia seems to be the requirements. On that basis, I doubt they would play old Trafford cricket ground. Obviously gigs in Auz are being played in some cricket grounds.

They will probs play Sheffield or Maybe hull. Midlands is due a show imo.

There wasnt much demand in Scotland this tour so I doubt they will play there again. The gig sold out on the day I believe ( as did many on the tour )

Southampton - St Mary's Stadium - 2 shows
Hull - KC stadium - 1/2 shows.
Bolton - Reebok Stadium - 1 show
Cardiff - Cardiff City Stadium - 1 show.

331,654 was the attendance for the UK leg. They could easily play to 200,000 if they play the right venue's i.e not the big stadiums in the big cities.

:reject:

Has the band popularity really declined that much in the UK?I remember they did 4 nights at the old wembley stadium on Zoo TV in '93.

Amsterdam please :D

Kinda shit if it turns out to be true, went to Germany twice this leg (and I'm still having back problems from that carride) just because I thought there wasn't gonna be a Dutch show in the next ~4 years:D

But oh well HERE WE GO AGAIN!

If U2 do have a new album out this fall, they'll definitely want to promote it in Europe. I think a possible 3rd European leg could include the following:

Ireland- 2 shows
Belfast
Scotland
Manchester
Sunderland
London- 1/2 shows, depending on the album's success
Amsterdam- 2 shows
Oslo
Stockholm
Prague
Maybe 1 show in Germany??
Paris
1 show somewhere else in France?
Madrid
Udine, Italy- Haven't been that way yet this tour, and Stadio Friuli has a 40,000-ish capacity, so they might sell it out
1 show somewhere Baltic? St. Petersburg, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus?
Budapest
Bucharest
Belgrade
Israel?
Cairo?

I count 24 possibilities there, which is about the right size for a 360 tour leg. Obviously all of these shows won't happen, but I can see a good bit of this happening. By the end of this, I would surely think demand would be absolutely dried up for U2 for a couple years.

Won't happen but yes please.

*selfish*

Upon a little more research, I will make a few adjustments to the possibilities list.

Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia do not have stadiums of suitable size.

Prague has Strahov Stadium, which holds 220,000 people. At an endstage concert, the stage can be played on the halfway mark, thus reducing the capacity in half or less, like on Popmart. However, the 360 configuration would mean that all 220,000 seats would be for sale, as well as whatever fits on the massive field. In other words, no.

Supposedly Ullevaal Stadium in Oslo holds 35,000 for concerts. Same as the Horsens venue. Just play it twice to get the desired numbers.

I doubt they play anywhere in Germany, Spain or Italy. Demand has been met in those countries.

As far as the UK goes, it depends on if the new album is a hit or not. If so, I can see them doing 2 shows at Wembley again, and a couple more throughout the country. If not, one show at Wembley and another show in Manchester, perhaps?

Belfast has Casement park? Could that work?

Minsk, Ukraine, Budapest, Bucharest and Belgrade all have suitable stadiums for the 360 tour, and I'd imagine demand is there to mostly fill stadiums in these cities. However, U2 seems to be scared of eastern europe, so we'll see.

Well they went Moscow, that's a step in the right direction.

The country seems to be quite Anti Bono these days.

Sorry, but that's total rubbish.

There's no more anti-Bono feeling here than anywhere else in the world where people are ignorant.

U2 are up against a different market these days - they're trying to compete in an industry that's youth-orientated and it's been that way since punk came onto the scene and obliterated the 'oldies' and 'prog-rockers' that were dominating the scene beforehand.

I'm not making this post all about punk, but if it wasn't for punk then there'd be no U2.

Anyway back to the topic:

A lot of the band's die-hard fans have grown older and most either 'don't want to' or 'have other commitments' that don't allow them to follow the band all over the place.

U2 need the youth of today - the concert/festival goers - to buy their tickets and to keep them current because that's where the money is and without the money then there would be no more U2 tours.

If the band only play 4 dates in the UK then that tells me a few things: that either those 4 dates generate enough money not to play any more shows or that they think that they wouldn't be able to sell out any more dates.

A half-full stadium is a disaster and could result in a loss for the band (imagine all the work that goes into erecting the Claw, rehearsing the show and then playing it only to have more money taken from your pockets!) so it's best to see what the market wants and then to take it from there.

So it's all about £££/$$$/€€€s - it always has been and it always will have to be, but if the band don't play enough dates in the UK then that's because the band know that it wouldn't be financially worthwhile regardless of how much they appreciate us UK fans - and not because people (who don't go to U2 concerts) don't like Bono.

Has the band popularity really declined that much in the UK?I remember they did 4 nights at the old wembley stadium on Zoo TV in '93.

3 and a half - 4th night was only half full...they had to resort to giving free tickets out to unemployed people

Birmingham in the UK deserve a show for sure Villa Park is the biggest venue there but i don't think they allow concerts there to mess up their pitch! i am pretty sure Coventry City Stadiums has concerts though which holds about 30,000

Isnt the Subiaco Oval a cricket ground ? It might be played for ' Football ' sports but its defo a cricket ground in shape.

What a terrible defence.

:lol: i'm not sure if subiaco oval has been used for cricket. i'll admit the stadiums in melbourne and sydney have been used for cricket, but it wasn't their primary function - plus in sydney the retractable seats will be in rectangular mode.

funnily enough, mt smart stadium - rectangle field and all has hosted cricket max.

Isnt the Subiaco Oval a cricket ground ? It might be played for ' Football ' sports but its defo a cricket ground in shape.

What a terrible defence.

Subiaco is used almost entirely for AFL, the cricket ground you speak of is the WACA.

U2place.com talked to members of the crew:

- album due in November/December 2010
- tour likely to end in Europe 2011 (tour crew mentions England, Paris and Belfast being negotiated currently, among other places)
- they're looking for a new location in Ireland outside of Dublin. There were logistical problems during the 2009 Croke Park shows at that location.

coould be really great!! with Dutch dates please!! :)

But it seems weird if 360 crew would know information about a next album

Back
Top Bottom