Many shows = boring or exciting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't want to derail this thread, but I heartily recommend earplugs no matter how many shows you're seeing. I wore them for the first time on Vertigo, and what a difference! Actually easier to understand Bono's rants - er, speeches. And ZERO ringing the next day, which means less damage, if any. :up:

I second this.

I always wear earplugs. Reducing the concert volume by 20dB doesn't affect your enjoyment, and you can keep your hearing for seeing concerts into your golden years.

And BTW, a BIG F-U to the guy at Vertigo Auckland first night that teased me for wearing them.

Back on topic...I would argue that for multiple nights in the same city, the second night is always awesome. For Vertigo I was at first and second nights in: MSG Oct. 05, Vegas 05, and Auckland 06--the second night was even better than the first at each of those.

Mark

Anyone can recommend a good brand of earplugs? I'm not old yet but I'd like to keep my hearing, especially since I need it to play. So I'm considering getting them.

Whenever I put in earplugs, everything gets muffled, and that's no fun.

Does that only happen with the cheapos? If I get pricey ones, does the music still sound good? Or is all muffly and annoying?

Let me get into character here...

:nerd:

As far as individual insertable foam earplug go, there are two types: soft foam and harder foam. The soft foam ones are often neon-ish green or orange. These are often more comfortable, but seem to let a little more sound through. The harder foam are often yellow (AO Safety is a common brand). These are good for people who prefer a snug fit or have bigger ear openings. I prefer these, but I use both.

There also are the "plug" type which look like little plungers or the plastic pour spouts for booze bottles. These work very well, but can be painful to wear for long periods. They tend to block the noise very well.

Mark

What about the sound, though? It's not worth it to me to listen to a concert when the sound quality suffers.

I always bring them just in case, and the only time at a U2 concert in the past that I've felt the need to put them in was during Kings of Leon when I was sitting in a seat. From GA, it was fine, but from the seats in the same arena, the tone of their guitars was painful.

Usually earplugs will act as a filter of extra "noise" (music). The overall sound is of course, lower, but crisper. Umm...instuments come into focus, esp vocals. The only downside for me is singing along at a show, I sound like crap.:lol:

I lost partial hearing during the 1st leg of Vertigo. My own fault, 3 shows in 5 days, no protection. And had been a daily headphone user. I still have some Tinnitus to this day.

Protect yer ears. Enjoy more music!

I saw My Morning Jacket in Austin TX last August. Brought my wife & a friend & was able to get pretty much front row. When they turned the pre-music it was so damn loud. Asked some roadies if they had some ear-plugs, in which they did (very nice of them to give them to me) so I gave them to my wife and my buddy & I split the other set. Thank god because when MMJ hit the stage it was pretty painful. It got so bad I tore a napkin during the show & put that in my ear.

U2 Vertigo was one of the loudest shows I've been to. Houston show was very loud and even the Monterrey Mexico show (stadium) rocked. The 360 might blow the 1st 20 rows of people. Have fun :wave:

I went to both Jersey shows, first leg of Vertigo. Both were awesome! Two days later I went on a whim to MSG, (I'd never been). It was
...meh.

Third leg went to two shows in MSG. Then first night in Boston. Same thing, even though the shows were a week or two apart. And Boston was brilliant during "One". But...meh again. I was GA/Ellipse for MSG, maybe Boston was anti-climatic.

So I'm keeping it at four total, two Dublin & two Jersey

I'm thinking the opening acts will add to the experience this time around. Kaiser Chefs, The Script and Muse.:drool:

blame post #29 for sidetracking this thread :reject:

I'd say go to as many shows as you can, and if you have the opportunity, take in a show by meandering around the floor; this way you get to experience U2 up close and from afar to see more of the stage and video screen. Plus you have a better chance to say hi to us U2 fans during the show :wave:

Earplugs just fall out so I never wear them anymore. In response to the post that started the discussion of how many is too many, I also say screw what others think and go if you can afford it. I've only gone to two shows, both on the last tour and I'm going to two on this tour. If I could afford it I'd go to more in a heartbeat. Whenever friends criticize my concert hopping (no matter the band) I always defend myself with "I always pay my bills on time"

If you can, then why not ;)

BUT the only thing I HATE is when I'm standing next to folks that have gone to multiple shows and start to recite Bono's dialogue alongside Bono. :angry:Seriously, we get it, you've seen them a bunch of times. Let Bono say "take off those fuckin' glasses" ...ALONE

Maybe I'll wear earplugs for Black Eyed Peas. The less of them I hear, the better.

I'd be surprised if a lot of people who have seats will turn up before U2's going to be onstage. :wink: Those poor people in GA..
I recommend ER-20s from Etymotic Research. Check out these threads from back in the day....

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f280/ear-plugs-123229.html
http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f280/how-loud-are-u2-concerts-151892.html

Apologies for hijacking...

Thanks, I'll see what I can find in my country. :) You guys convinced me that I definitely need a pair!

I've thought about this and am a bit worried. I find myself playing down how many concerts im going to see when Im telling others about my trip. Especially when I meet people when I go out, haha.

I saw U2 2 nights in a row in melbourne for vertigo and that was fantastic. I actually cant remember the first night much cos it was just so overwhelming. Whereas the second night i was able to enjoy the show properly. So going to the second night was a great idea.

My friend and I have always talked about going to see u2 in europe to see them in San Siro cos that DVD is just amazing. It started off with 2 concerts, then 3 etc etc and now we are going to the frist 7 shows of the tour...

I have mixed feelings. Im super excited to see the band in all these exotic locations and catch the 2nd show for the first 3 cities. Also making a summer holiday of it by seeing all the art and architecture and hitting the beaches. Not sure if its overkill though... haha

Ill still probably see them down under if they make it on this tour.

Back
Top Bottom