Live Broadcasting the Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
honestly, its kind of silly unless you can rig a edirol/ other bitbox with good mics to capture the signal....not to mention all the cell phone junkies out there actually cause the people who are taping the show with good equipment to get cell phone interference in their recordings (especially in europe)...so you get a recording that sounds like a string attached to 2 tin cans, and you screw up for people actually recording the show.

Better idea, wait a day or two for the high quality torrent to go up and listen to it perfectly...Its a stadium tour, setlist wont change much anyway

But the point is to hear it as it's happening. I'm sure those who are interested will find the torrents after the show.

It was so much fun listening live during the last tour, despite it often sounding like an underwater recording. I'm excited to hear/see what it will be like with new technology.

I may be willing to be a source for a show in my area, but we can obviously figure that out at a later date.

:hyper:

So much more is possible for this tour. Using a Flip Video MinoHD Camcorder which cost around $200.00 and easily fits into your pocket, it would be possible to shoot each show in HD and then watch it (and do whatever else with it) immediately following the show. Each Flip records for a hour, so you would need more than one.

surrogatedad.png

That is the answer.

I love how people are already complaining about this and the tour dates haven't even been announced yet :happy:

The streams were so much fun on the last tour. Even when the audio was lousy, there was something special about being on here and sharing it with everybody as it was happening. After awhile, I stopped keeping up with recordings, since I didn't feel like I needed every single show of the tour, but I always tuned in for the setlist parties and streams when I had time. They've been my favorite part of being a part of this site.

The streams were so much fun on the last tour. Even when the audio was lousy, there was something special about being on here and sharing it with everybody as it was happening.

Exactly. The point of all of this isn't to create a bootleg or anything like that. It's so we can all feel like we're (sort of) at a show :)

Anyhow, I'll start trying to organize this better once the tour dates are announced.

Last time didnt we just have texting? I could easily do that, no problem. I have an iphone but I dont want to jailbreak it lol. Plus, I dont know I feel about having to sit there and hold your phone up for 2 hours to try to get video, instead of just being able to enjoy the show. I personally would not mind texting in the setlist as it happens, or even calling someone to play some audio, but I think any more than that would probably ruin the experience for me.

Singing and jumping around = definitely

Standing still holding a camera or phone = quite unlikely

I guess it depends how many shows you attend but if it's only one then dive in and enjoy it I reckon.

Last time didnt we just have texting?

Nope, we had streaming audio for a lot of the US shows on the 3rd leg :)

Singing and jumping around = definitely

Standing still holding a camera or phone = quite unlikely

I guess it depends how many shows you attend but if it's only one then dive in and enjoy it I reckon.

Yeah, I think there are people that are willing to hold their phone during at least part of the show (as evident by all of the videos on YouTube) -- especially those that have seen multiple shows.

All in all, I don't expect to see live video from the entirety of the show. Something is better than nothing though!

If you were on Interference during the Vertigo tour, you likely remember the live audio streams of many of the shows. Thanks to a mix of mobile phones, Skype, and Shoutcast, we were able to hear shows live for the first time -- albeit, not with the best sound quality in the world. It was a lot of fun and I think made us feel more connected to the tour. I remember saying that for the next tour, however, we should have the technology to kick things up a notch.

I am very happy to report that we do indeed have that technology now. There are now services that will enable us to reliably stream both the audio and video from all of the shows in real-time. The quality of the audio will be immensely better, and the video isn't bad either. The requirements are no higher than they were last time -- a higher end mobile phone (ideally one with 3G). This is possible using services like Qik (Qik | Share Live Video From Your Mobile Phone) and Kyte.tv (Kyte Mobile). They provide the software that runs on your phone and they host the stream for everyone to watch (live) through their Flash-based player. Oh yeah, and it's all free too :)

While the tour is still a couple of months off, I would like to start organizing now. I honestly believe that we can have a live stream of literally every show of the tour. All we need is one or more people with a capable mobile phone (Qik | Supported Devices has a good list) that's willing to hold up their phone during the show. I will help get everything setup, but it should be fairly straightforward. Once the tour dates are announced, we can start figuring out who can commit to what shows. Until then, I urge everyone to become familiar with these services as that will make things smoother going forward.

We have the opportunity to broadcast every U2 show across the globe, live. Let's do it :)

(this may not be the appropriate forum -- feel free to relocate the thread)

Gorman u are a god! :bow: :hyper::applaud:

i so look forward to these broadcasts again..setlist parties rawk!

I streamed a few shows but it wasn't easy to be quiet throughout, never mind the not moving your hand too much to minimize the Bono in a fish bowl sound.

honestly, its kind of silly unless you can rig a edirol/ other bitbox with good mics to capture the signal....not to mention all the cell phone junkies out there actually cause the people who are taping the show with good equipment to get cell phone interference in their recordings (especially in europe)...so you get a recording that sounds like a string attached to 2 tin cans, and you screw up for people actually recording the show.

Welcome "Fun Police"!!!

Show tapers have their handful of sweetspots. Live feeds can be from anywhere in the venue. Plus any interference is inevitable with everyday idiots texting their friends a dozen times in the middle of a show.

For audio only streams you don't need to hold the camera for 2 hours. Shirt pocket of anything above shoulder level will be perfect.

For those worry about the legality perhaps a audio/video sample should be posted. I'm curious of the live video quality. I think only 1-2 streams from last tour was even worth giving a second listen. U2 management won't do anything because they focus on their bagizzilion dollar tour dear and ubermillion dollar record label deal. They may or may not even be aware/care of 100 people on a message board hosting a "setlist party".

Humourously, I was quite agressively kicked off some Zeppelin forums for suggesting a live feed should be available for the Zeppelin O2 show and the technology was easy and had been readily used for 2 years. They chose to believe the earth was still flat.

To the setlist party regulars: "O RLY", "Bork Bork Bork" and "PITNOL"

Back
Top Bottom