Let's Speculate on Tour Schedules / U2 at Croke Next Year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2 will never play the Emirates. With o2 and wembley next door, whats the point ?

Here are some more rumoured dates to ponder.

U2 Tour 2009

U2 Tickets in London, United Kingdom
Date: 04-07-2009 Start: 19.30 Venue: Hyde Park

U2 Tickets in Dublin, Ireland
Date: 01-07-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: Slane Castle

U2 Tickets in Brussels, Belgium
Date: 06-07-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: King Boudewijn Stadium

U2 Tickets in Brussels, Belgium
Date: 07-07-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: King Boudewijn Stadium

U2 Tickets in Rotterdam, Netherlands
Date: 09-07-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: De Kuip

Date: 10-07-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: De Kuip

Date: 11-07-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: De Kuip

U2 Tickets in Paris, France
Date: 16-07-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: Stade de France

Date: 17-07-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: Stade de France

Date: 18-07-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: Stade de France

U2 Tickets in Berlin, Germany
Date: 21-07-2009 Start: 19.00 Venue: Olympia Stadium Berlin

U2 Tickets in Gelsenkirchen, Germany
Date: 23-07-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: Veltins Arena

U2 Tickets in Barcelona, Spain
Date: 27-07-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: Camp Nou Stadium

U2 Tickets in Barcelona, Spain
Date: 28-07-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: Camp Nou Stadium

U2 Tickets in Milan, Italy
Date: 31-07-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: San Siro

U2 Tickets in Milan, Italy
Date: 03-08-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: San Siro

U2 Tickets in Zurich, Switzerland
Date: 04-08-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: Letzigrund Stadium

U2 Tickets in Zurich, Switzerland
Date: 05-08-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: Letzigrund Stadium

U2 Tickets in Vienna, Austria
Date: 07-08-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: Ernst Happel Stadium

U2 Tickets in Vienna, Austria
Date: 08-08-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: Ernst Happel Stadium

U2 Tickets in Prague, Czech Republic
Date: 10-08-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: Na Julisce Stadium

U2 Tickets in Stockholm, Sweden
Date: 20-08-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: Soderstadion

U2 Tickets in Stockholm, Sweden
Date: 21-08-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: Soderstadion

U2 Tickets in Oslo, Norway
Date: 24-08-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: Ulleval

U2 Tickets in Oslo, Norway
Date: 25-08-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: Ulleval

U2 Tickets in Chorzow, Poland
Date: 26-08-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: Slaski Stadion

U2 Tickets in Chorzow, Poland
Date: 27-08-2009 Start: 20.00 Venue: Slaski Stadion

That list of dates looks good but I doubt its authenticity. I mean how could a non-official website get a hold of information like that a year before the tour begins? I think that even at this point a lot of the tour details aren't finalised.

The date on that posting also pre-dates the official announcement of the album delay to 2009 by almost 2 weeks....Of course, there is rampant speculation that the band knew the album wouldn't be out til 09 long before making the announcement, so the point may be moot. But it would have to be ultra ultra insider scoop either way.

well this is pure speculation. everybody can make a list like this...
I doubt whether they play Rotterdam, de Kuip.

Furthermore, 3 days in a row performing...they will never do this. So stupid list

Can I also add that Oasis are playing Slane Castle next year and so it's highly unlikely that anyone else will be playing that particular venue in 2009. (I know that U2 played there twice in 2001 but those were exceptional circumstances, and as far as I know, that's the only incidence of multiple shows at Slane.)

Can I also add that Oasis are playing Slane Castle next year and so it's highly unlikely that anyone else will be playing that particular venue in 2009. (I know that U2 played there twice in 2001 but those were exceptional circumstances, and as far as I know, that's the only incidence of multiple shows at Slane.)

Yup and with only two dates available for Croke Park this year, not many Irish venues for them to play...

I'm really starting to think that this list is rubbish.

I question the validity of any list that states they'll be opening their tour in Europe, when history has shown otherwise.

They haven't opened a major tour outside of the USA since the Lovetown tour which opened in Australia back in 1989 (almost 20 years ago) The Joshua Tree tour before that also opened in the USA. In fact they haven't opened a major tour in Europe since the October Tour which opened in England. So that means its been almost 3 decades since they've started a tour there. Thats a long long time to break away from a pretty successful formula.

The safe bet would be that they open in America once more. I realize that people keep mentioning that the U2 camp could be breaking the pattern of starting outside of Europe, But I just don't see them doing that. The only reason why I think they might would be the strength of the Euro against the Dollar and the shitty US economy. Problem is that the economy is pretty shitty all over the world so who knows what they'll do in the end.

That's what I think. They know they can sell out stadiums in Europe with no problem. I'm not convinced that it would be that easy in the U.S..

In the Northeast it would be as easy as it gets. They'd probably be fine in the Los Angeles area and probably could sell out Chicago too easily. Other markets, I'm not sure about. I do hope for a stadium tour though in the USA.

In the Northeast it would be as easy as it gets. They'd probably be fine in the Los Angeles area and probably could sell out Chicago too easily. Other markets, I'm not sure about. I do hope for a stadium tour though in the USA.

That's the problem though. Selling out some stadiums in the Northeast and West Coast does not a tour make.

In Europe, they can cover a whole country with 1 or 2 shows and guarantee a sell out everytime.

Other issues with that list…
One date in UK, one date in Dublin. Less than 24 hour tear down and rebuild time between dates in Milan and Zurich as well as Oslo and Chorzow. I give
U2's tour manager and roadies major props, but that is a damn tight schedule.

I think its speculative (ergo entirely appropriate for this thread) but not anything anyone should be booking travel based on. And it also doesn’t preclude U2 playing dates in the US at any point during April, May, June to open the tour.

I don't see why they shouldn't start in Europe. They are selling out stadiums here within minutes.

Simple.

Because they can do what they've generally done over the course of the last few tours all the way back to ZooTV (with the exception of Popmart) they can start in small venues to work out the kinks of the music and production, and build excitement by playing some great shows while getting the word out before moving into the bigger stadiums. It makes perfect sense. On top of that, why would they start in smaller venues in Europe when you can go straight to stadiums and make much more cash? Its a tried and true system that has worked for them and will continue to do so.

They learned their lesson during Popmart, hopefully they won't repeat the same mistake again.

U2 will have time for a complete arena tour in the US? With a February/March album release, the tour will start a few weeks later (mid spring: april/may) and a big stadium tour in Europe will start around june.

Vox

Thats just it, the list is probably false. They won't start a tour in Europe in June. They'll probably start a US arena tour during the summer followed by a European outdoor leg in early 2010.

I think what U2 has shown us this year is that just because they've done something one way many times, doesn't mean they won't change.

There is no way U2 will do a "summer" arena tour in the U.S. in 2009.

i still think that they could pull off a late spring kick off of the tour in the US as long as the album releases anytime between january and say april. It's possible. But a start in Europe would be good too.

I think what U2 has shown us this year is that just because they've done something one way many times, doesn't mean they won't change.

Just wondering...what exactly has U2 shown us during this year that points to them doing things any different than they have in the past?

There is no way U2 will do a "summer" arena tour in the U.S. in 2009.

Why? 5 out of their last 6 tours have started in the late Winter/Early Spring (Feb-April) Therefore why is it so out of the realm of possibility that if they release an album in early 2009 (Jan-Mar) that they can't be out on tour by mid to late Summer?

Why? 5 out of their last 6 tours have started in the late Winter/Early Spring (Feb-April) Therefore why is it so out of the realm of possibility that if they release an album in early 2009 (Jan-Mar) that they can't be out on tour by mid to late Summer?

I didn't say they won't tour in the summer, I said they won't tour in the summer in the U.S. They will not waste the summer on the U.S.. Just as you said they have started the last 6 tours in late Winter or Early Spring in the U.S. (not the summer). The summers always belong to Europe.

Just wondering...what exactly has U2 shown us during this year that points to them doing things any different than they have in the past?

Deciding to not release the album for the holidays.

i'd tend to agree with ramblin rose, she is a well informed lady

it wouldnt shock me if u2 didnt make it to north america until 2010, if at all...

It is possible that they will tour US arenas April-June, then Europe stadiums July-Sept, then US arenas again Oct-Dec, and ROW early 2010.

I didn't say they won't tour in the summer, I said they won't tour in the summer in the U.S. They will not waste the summer on the U.S.. Just as you said they have started the last 6 tours in late Winter or Early Spring in the U.S. (not the summer). The summers always belong to Europe.

Deciding to not release the album for the holidays.

If you remember, they also missed the Holiday season with POP. So they've done THAT before.

I guess regarding the whole touring during the summer thing, it revolves around whether or not you believe they'll stick to their pretty stead fast consistent plan of starting major world tours in America (which they've done at the opening of every major world tour since Joshua Tree) If they continue that route, which I think they will then all signs actually point to a US summer tour.

If you are in the other camp, then you would think that it'll be Europe in the summer. But as I said in my prior posts, why would you start a huge stadium tour right out of the box, when you can practice and get your stuff together and build momentum in arenas? They aren't going to play arenas in Europe when they can easily fill stadiums there, and they aren't going to play in half empty stadiums in the US when they can easily fill arenas in major cities instead. THATS my reasoning for a US tour in the Summer.

Thats my take on it. And honestly, going by their touring history of well over 2 decades...I think its a pretty plausible one at that.

i'd tend to agree with ramblin rose, she is a well informed lady

it wouldnt shock me if u2 didnt make it to north america until 2010, if at all...

Well, unless she works with Live Nation or within the U2 camp I don't think she has any more info then any of us to be quite honest. And I say that respectfully, not sarcastically.

I also think that its pretty safe to say that a U2 tour that wouldn't involve North America within its first or second leg is out of the question. I don't see how they couldn't make it to North America in 2010 even if they started a European tour before that. It doesn't seem plausible. Especially since they signed that very lucrative deal with Live Nation....an AMERICAN company.

I guess we'll wait and see. If they don't start here in the spring, we (US) won't see them again until after the summer (hopefully).

Back
Top Bottom