Let's Speculate on Tour Schedules / U2 at Croke Next Year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would make sense for them to play there, but I honestly don't think they'll play this year without the album being released.

Tickets for these shows will be sold out in 10 seconds. :huh:

It would make sense for them to play there, but I honestly don't think they'll play this year without the album being released.

Tickets for these shows will be sold out in 10 seconds. :huh:

I have to agree. It would make more sense to hold the new material back until people can hear the whole album. Plus how long would the band have to practice the new material for a live show? Why would they risk another Las Vegas performance?

Maybe U2 will open for Coldplay... thus technically they would be the first band to play there!:lol:

well, if the O2 event was just a grand opening sort of thing with several acts, and probably mostly for invited guests and dignitaries with few seats available for sale (would be my guess that lots of industry people would be invited as a way to market how "great" this new venue is...) and if they just played a 3-4 songs, 2 old material, and one or two new, as a way to get in front of an audience and work out some kinks without alot of pressure, I can see that happening. plus, if the album drops in Feb or March, its not inconceivable that we would have heard the first single about that time-mid December. what a way to promote it. since they are supposed to be tight with the guy who re-developed this place, it doesn't seem too unrealistic. the boys do tend to be in Dublin around the holidays anyway so nice and convenient as well.

I'll just throw this out there...

Since the album is delayed maybe the Vegas kick off can be put aside. How about they start with a run through the Domes in Japan followed by Hong Kong, Taipei, etc before a string of dates in Australia in April/May (arenas - stadiums would be difficult with the Footy codes starting)? It would take the pressure off if they debut the tour away from the big markets - and thus the show would be rehearsed and rocking from the get go in the US/Canada??? Or maybe do South Africa in late March/early April before heading north? Get the "complicated" areas done first? :applaud:

I'll just throw this out there...

Since the album is delayed maybe the Vegas kick off can be put aside. How about they start with a run through the Domes in Japan followed by Hong Kong, Taipei, etc before a string of dates in Australia in April/May (arenas - stadiums would be difficult with the Footy codes starting)? It would take the pressure off if they debut the tour away from the big markets - and thus the show would be rehearsed and rocking from the get go in the US/Canada??? Or maybe do South Africa in late March/early April before heading north? Get the "complicated" areas done first? :applaud:

You should NEVER start a tour in Japan as the audiences are very reserved. Bono actually said it was a mistake to end ZooTV in Japan. So I would never expect for that to happen.

I'd love to see them play the opening slot for the O2/Point depot. Even if that means opening for Coldplay. Come on, this isn't just their hometown, they made history there!

I'd love to see them play the opening slot for the O2/Point depot. Even if that means opening for Coldplay. Come on, this isn't just their hometown, they made history there!

The band played their several times nearly 20 years ago; other bands have done more than them at the Point and they're not opening it.

There are bands who have played their dozens of times; maybe they should be the ones who get to open it

Dennis Sheehan says they will be touring in spring, so i suggest that means album release March the latest. See Parnelli Awards

for anyone who doesn't want to search for it:

Currently he’s working with the band as they record a new album, and looks forward to going out with them next spring. Of his success he says: “I think people knew I had a sense of responsibility, and always got the job done, regardless. I’m quite pleased to have been a part of [the industry]."

Well this is promising...I think we're gonna start hearing about this album sooner than people expect. :hmm:

The band played their several times nearly 20 years ago; other bands have done more than them at the Point and they're not opening it.

There are bands who have played their dozens of times; maybe they should be the ones who get to open it

That would be Westlife or Boyzone - do you really want that to happen?

since any grand opening show would like not have just one act, i don't see why it couldn't be U2 and other acts. and if you are trying to kick start your revamped venue as the bestest place ever to book your show, why not have one of the biggest acts ever in rock, let alone the biggest act ever from Dublin? but this all seems moot now that the thread on Edge's new boat in EYKIW pointed out that we can anticipate the next tour dates to all be in major seaports and waterways with the yacht as the stage setting. good thing Dublin still qualifies...

album out january/february

1st leg america end of april-end of june
2nd leg europe 10th july-middle of september
3rd leg america 0ctober-december
4th leg South America/Mexico end of january-middle of march
5th leg Asia/Australia april

hopefully:

6th leg europe june-july

At the prices they're charging nowadays, U2 aren't popular enough to fill stadiums in most North American markets. When they hit the road again next year, they probably will include some stadium gigs in about a dozen or so of their largest North American markets. But a full stadium tour won't happen, unless, they a) drastically reduce the stadium capacities or b) don't care if most of the shows don't sell out. But considering what happened with the PopMart tour in 1997-1998, I think they do care and want all shows sold out.

Considering their tour history, my guess:

North America

April/May/June - Arenas & Stadiums

UK/Europe

July/August - Stadiums

North America

September/October/November - Arenas & Stadiums

Each leg will comprise of 30-35 shows. I don't think they'll tour outside of North America or the UK/Europe because they were just in South America in early 2006 and Australia, New Zealand & Japan in late 2006...and they never return to these areas that often.

Tickets will be basically 25% higher than the Vertigo tour's prices and will be tier-priced at, $55, $120 & $200.

And the tour will gross around $375 million. However, if they do tour outside of North America & UK/Europe and hit South America, Australia, New Zealand & Japan, the tour will gross about $475 million...

At the prices they're charging nowadays, U2 aren't popular enough to fill stadiums in most North American markets. When they hit the road again next year, they probably will include some stadium gigs in about a dozen or so of their largest North American markets. But a full stadium tour won't happen, unless, they a) drastically reduce the stadium capacities or b) don't care if most of the shows don't sell out. But considering what happened with the PopMart tour in 1997-1998, I think they do care and want all shows sold out.

I disagree. Tickets for the Vertigo tour sold out within an hour. There's a reason why so many fans are panicking about the beginn of ticket sales. U2 play stadiums here in Europe, still it's very hard to get tickets. They could play stadium shows in the US as well. Instead of playing 3 or 4 arena shows they could easily sell out 1 or 2 stadium shows.

U2 don't charge more for tickets than other bands their league. Concert tickets have become expensive in general, but I guess people are willing to pay for it. It's only the hardcore fans who want to see 20 concerts who complain all the time.

U2 fills the stadiums (at least I'm referring to europe), even when a ticket goes a 100 euro.
Each stadium act in Europe of the vertigo tour was sold out, and the tickets were from 50 to 150 euro

I disagree. Tickets for the Vertigo tour sold out within an hour.

There's a reason why so many fans are panicking about the beginn of ticket sales. U2 play stadiums here in Europe, still it's very hard to get tickets.

Concerts may be listed as officially sold out. But that's not the real story. No concert is EVER technically sold out. Depending on how much you are willing to pay, you can almost always get tickets to any event you want to attend. Scalpers/brokers have access to many of the best seats and hence create an artificially elevated demand. Apart from exceptional seats, scalpers/brokers sell many tix that they bought weeks in advance but can't get rid of at around $30-$40 below face value prices (sometimes more) an hour or less before the show. I have saved over $500 in the past two and a half years doing this and have rarely paid face value prices (including opening night of The Police's 30th Anniversary tour), unless exceptional seats are available and are within my price range.

Promoters calculate demand based on a few main formulas. If promoters thought U2 could've sold out stadiums in all North American markets at the prices they were charging on the Vertigo tour, then all of the dates would've been scheduled in stadiums. But they weren't.

They could play stadium shows in the US as well. Instead of playing 3 or 4 arena shows they could easily sell out 1 or 2 stadium shows.

The only shows that would be sold out, unless prices or capacities were drastically reduced, would be in a dozen or so markets (LA, San Fran/Oakland, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago and maybe Miami) .

U2 don't charge more for tickets than other bands their league.

That's debatable.

Concert tickets have become expensive in general, but I guess people are willing to pay for it. It's only the hardcore fans who want to see 20 concerts who complain all the time.

I disagree.

In Europe, U2 were only playing bigger cities during the last tour. If you asked me, not enough concerts. They could have easily sold out more. In the US, they are playing much more venues. If they found a balance between "playing a couple more shows in Europe" and "playing less shows in the US" I'm sure they will still sell out all of their shows.

And yes, "technically" you can still get tickets for a sold out show, even I got tickets for sold-out shows, but I go to a lot of concerts and I have some experience in that field. With some acts, tickets are just more easily available than with others, and U2 tickets certainly aren't easy to get. Simply because they sell so many in such a short time.

In Europe, U2 were only playing bigger cities during the last tour. If you asked me, not enough concerts. They could have easily sold out more. In the US, they are playing much more venues. If they found a balance between "playing a couple more shows in Europe" and "playing less shows in the US" I'm sure they will still sell out all of their shows.

If promoters want the shows to sell out, they'll sell out. But of course, that depends on a lot of factors. Attendance can be adjusted based on what the ticket prices are set at, in relation to what the gross is. Example:

~ If market A's gross is $1 million and the ticket price is $100. Then 10,000 tickets will be sold

~ If market A's gross is $1 million and the ticket price is $50. Then 20,000 tickets will be sold

~ If market A's gross is $1 million and the ticket price is $25. Then 40,000 tickets will be sold

~ If market A's gross is $1 million and the ticket price is $12.50. Then 80,000 tickets will be sold

Etc, etc, etc,.

That's how the public react to ticket prices. That's how it works.

The average per show gross on the North American legs of the Vertigo tour was around $1.7 million. And when they hit the road next year, their average per show gross on the North American legs will be about $2.1 million. This is because a) they will have sold roughly 10% more albums than the last time they were on the road here in 2005 and b) inflation will have increased a little over 10%. So, at the prices they're charging, there's no way U2 will do a full stadium tour in North America anytime soon, as they would obviously need to at least double their per show average gross here to sell out or fill stadiums from coast to coast...

And yes, "technically" you can still get tickets for a sold out show, even I got tickets for sold-out shows, but I go to a lot of concerts and I have some experience in that field. With some acts, tickets are just more easily available than with others, and U2 tickets certainly aren't easy to get. Simply because they sell so many in such a short time.

In some cases, yes. But U2 are no exception. On the opening night of The Police's 30th Anniversary tour in Vancouver, it was extremely easy to get tix for well below face value. That and their second show grossed more than U2's two Vertigo tour shows did in Vancouver.

This has been grumbled about a bit since the news last week regarding the album delay, but let's really chew into it. Bono says 2009 is "our year." Whatever. But one thing is for sure, they aren't following standard op procedure for the last few drops, leaving the field wild open to anticipate their moves. Here is what we've seen on last few drops:

Fall album drop
Spring North America arena tour (guessing because only NorthAm has enough good sized indoor arenas to support a tour while the weather is unreliable?)
Summer Europe (weather reasons and to be commuting distance to Ez)
Fall North America arena tour (see above speculation)
Spring and late summer of following year some combo of Latin America, Asia, Down Under

So....if album drops in either Feb or March, will they keep specualtive plans to start the tour in NorthAm at end of March and go on tour so soon? Will they start the 1st leg of the tour in the summer in Europe and spend fall and next spring in North Am arenas before doing early summer in LatinAm/Asia etc? Someone already guessed NorthAm stadiums early summer, Europe stadiums late summer, NorthAm arenas in fall, etc.

Let the games begin....

With the financial crises which started in mid-September still going, I wonder if U2 might re-evaluating all of their tour plans. A strong economic downturn could heavily impact the tours ability to sell tickets. U2 these days is in to the highest grossing concert game, which means playing to massive numbers of people at relatively high ticket prices. The economy was still strong for most of 2001 when U2 was on the road that year. It was strong in 2005 and 1997. The last time you could say there may have been some strong weakness was in 1992, but back then tickets all across the industry were much cheaper. The front row in a stadium cost the same as the worst seat at the back of the stadium. Ever since 1994, tickets have been priced based on their real demand based on position within the venue. That plus the realization by the concert industry that fans would be willing to pay more for the most popular artist in the touring industry led to sky rocketing ticket prices since 1994. Tickets are priced very closely to what their true level of demand actually is in the market place.

But with what many consider to be the worst financial crises since the Great Depression, and the economic impact unknown at this time, I'm sure U2 might be looking at many different options.

One option might be to push the album release date all the way to November 2009 and then tour in 2010. There is always the chance that the financial storm and its effects might largely be over by then. Thats the optimistic situation though.

The other option would be to the release the album in early 2009 and tour in 2009 as planned but perhaps sticking to arena shows in North America like they did last time or playing a much smaller number of shows in North America with a few stadiums. Some have said South America, Australia, and Japan are going to be left out on this tour, that it will only be North America and Europe. That may indeed become the case if the financial crises begins to heavily impact the economy.

U2 may have to scale back their original tour plans or even delay the album and tour.

I was wondering the same thing. I think the demand is there for an album and a tour, and that enough people will weather the crisis with some expendable income on "luxury" items like that, but I do think people won't travel in the same way as they have done before. On the last tour I went to three shows in two different US cities and one Latin America show. I was planning for this tour to try to hit as many East Coast shows as I could and a Europe show.

Now, if I can still do Europe, I will probably just do one show in DC. If Europe becomes completely unfeasible (as its looking) I will probably try to do a show here and one in NYC. And I think my scale back is pretty typical-an intent and the money to go to at least one show, just not give them as much money as I have in the past.

So they might just do a more compacted North America and Europe tour and then wait to see how the economy is recovering and maybe add some more shows in 2010 depending on how ticket sales are going. But I think people would form raging, foaming at the mouth mobs at the doors of Principle Management and the Dublin studios calling for blood if things were pushed all the way back to a Nov 09 album and 2010 tour.

Each leg will comprise of 30-35 shows. I don't think they'll tour outside of North America or the UK/Europe because they were just in South America in early 2006 and Australia, New Zealand & Japan in late 2006...and they never return to these areas that often.

Woah there. Our dollar is high, they sold out in minutes last time and they have family here. Let me cling on to my dreams! Correct me if I'm wrong, but they were here for Joshua Tree, for Lovetown, for ZooTV, for Popmart and for Vertigo. So they've only missed us once in recent times - for Elevation. They've seen the error of their ways and will come back to rock out the south in 09, mark my words! Yeah whatever they have families and their older nowadays but by the time they kick off the next tour they will have had over 2 years off. They'll want to rule the world again. :pray:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they were here for Joshua Tree, for Lovetown, for ZooTV, for Popmart and for Vertigo. So they've only missed us once in recent times - for Elevation. :pray:

Actually they did not tour Australia on the Joshua Tree tour. The Lovetown tour was technically the Joshua Tree tour of Australia, New Zealand and Japan, albeit 2 years later, with a few shows in Europe thrown in for the hell of it.

Also, fun fact: U2 was supposed to do a short South American leg in December 1987, but those plans were scratched because of the 12/19-20 Tempe shows for filming Rattle and Hum. I know for a fact they had 2 shows scheduled in Buenos Aires on December 20-21.

I think every sane person in the netherlands will agree as i said before.

But im sure they will choose the safe way because the arena has a roof so no chance of rain. But id rather get soaked in the rain and have a good sound then getting soaked with sweat and wondering what im hearing.

I agree on your last sentence. I think they just don't have a lot to say on this. mojo/livenation has a lot of power. They even brought Bruce Springsteen to this ugly bad sounding soccer stadium...

I remember last year when U2 played "Elevation" I think there was a delay of at least 5 seconds with an echo of more than 20 seconds between the front and back. It was a complete mess.

Why not perform at Paradiso?

. Instead of playing 3 or 4 arena shows they could easily sell out 1 or 2 stadium shows.

U2 can do this in big markets like New York, Boston, Bay Area, Los Angeles, Philly.. But not in places like Texas, Arizona, Ohio, Michigan etc This is the main problem today: they can fill 2-3 stadiums in NY or Boston but maybe they can't fill a single date stadium in Cleveland.

On the other hand, this is a list of cities/state in which U2 can sellout an stadium easily:

-NY/East Rutherford (3 nights)
-Philly
-DC
-Boston (2-3 nights)
-Hartford? (small stadium)
-Buffalo?
-Chicago (2 nights)
-Los Angeles
-SF/Oakland
-Utah?
-Atlanta
-Denver

Plus Vancouver, Toronto (2 nights), Montreal and even Edmonton.

Vox

You could probably add Houston to that list... Texas isn't all rednecks.

In U2ByU2, Edge said that they wanted to make the third-leg a stadium leg, but couldn't because of the fact that some shows originally scheduled to be at the beginning of the first leg were moved to the third because due to the delayed start, and I guess those markets were arena markets. And they didn't want to carry two very different stage setups around North America, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom