Larry's LG Monitor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Setlists were always on paper. WGRYWH was mostly done at the tip of the Ellipse where he didn't have a teleprompter. Which shows did you see?

:lol: I was 2nd row in the ellipse for this show. My favorite show of the whole tour. Those are my popups. Still laugh when I remember that song.

That video was funny and almost cringe worthy! :up: :lol:

The Turin 2001 and Barcelona 2001(Edge's 40th) audience shot videos on youtube answer this question. Both are sharp angles from Adam's side where Bono speaker is show to be a speaker. He's gone a seveal cheat sheets tapes to the floor.

I was surprised to learn that the Anaheim 2005 videos shows a tiny music stand for lyrics and not a teleprompter. That was first leg, so the prompter must have come in by the 2nd or 3rd Vertigo leg.

Interestingly, it was turned off for the U23D filming but still in front of Bono. Small chance it was digitally taken out in post production editing, though that's lots of work for little gain. Other proshot u2 clips hide that camera angle. I think it can be seen scrolling in the WANDERER clip from late 2005.

He had paper sheets on Elevation, then the teleprompter on Vertigo and (presumably) this tour.

Unless he spends the entire show crouched right in front of it, I don't mind.

Larry had a little screen beside his kit in 2001. One of the very few rear stage U2 videos I could find.YouTube - U2 - Antwerp '01 (06/08) - Sunday Bloody Sunday

For those wonder what the click track and autamated count-ins sound like:YouTube - U2 One Tree Hill Saitama 11/29/06 - IEM mix by U2mixer

Couldn't find a youtube clip of a scrolling teleprompter at a U2 show, but here's one from a Springsteen show in June. Several band members have screens(including the drummer) and some have chords since Bruce does genuine audibles nightly.YouTube - BONNAROO 2009

Turin 2001. Rare Stadium show like Slane. Perhaps the only audience shot video with a sharp enough angle to see if Bono has a prompter at Stadium shows. They are usually not visible in clip from Milan or U23D. YouTube - U2 Elevation Torino 21-7-2001

Barcelona 2001. Rare outing of Spanish Eyes on Edge's 40th B-day. Bono making good use of the cheat sheets. YouTube - Rare U2 Live Barcelona Spanish Eyes 2001

New Jersey June 2001. Rare Wild Honey. Edge and Bono can be seen reading lyrics. Can't tell if one of the techs is holding a lyric sheet or if it's taped down at the tip of the heart. YouTube - U2 - Wild Honey (Elevation East Rutherford)

Dallas late 2001. Just showing he had no prompter in 2001, which I always assumed he did. Just a setlis and a couple taped lyric sheets. YouTube - U2 - ELEVATION ***(LiVE)*** DALLAS, TX

Boston June 2001. Bonocam for Elevation. Close glimpse of Bono's rig from his perspective. YouTube - Elevation-U2 Bonocam

LA late 2005. Wanderer during soundcheck for Johnny Cash special. Try to find another glimpse of the teleprompter in a Pro-shot U2 clip. Close ups of Bono are enough to see him look down for this obscure one off. YouTube - U2 - The Wanderer (Johny Cash Tribute 2005) (High Quality)

I somehow understand that Bono needs to have the lyrics for more rare tracks, in particular for special performances like The Wanderer for the Johnny Cash tribute. He's not the only singer who does that. It'd rather him having something to help him with the lyrics than him having total blackouts when singing :lol:

For the recent shows I've been, I didn't notice much reading off the teleprompter, even though I was totally aware the teleprompters were there, I even watched the techs set them up before the show.

TIME FOR A COMPLETE NERD FEST:

I was trying to figure out when Bono started to use his prompter. Actually a harder question to answer than I thought. The answer is somewhere between Anaheim and Chicago in April 2005.

He didn't seem to have any screen or added lyrics for the first few shows on Vertigo. Then he had a mini music stand in Anaheim about a week into the tour.
U2 Fan Concert Review on U2tours.com

Can't find another show with the music stand but Bono may have had the prompter in Vancouver a month into Vertigo. U2 Fan Concert Review on U2tours.com

Chicago May 2005. U2 Fan Concert Review on U2tours.com

First leg shows after Chicago:U2 Fan Concert Review on U2tours.com

Anybody have shots of Europe?

I think the prompter may be removed whenever they film a concert or when a news crew gets a tour of the stage.

I somehow understand that Bono needs to have the lyrics for more rare tracks, in particular for special performances like The Wanderer for the Johnny Cash tribute. He's not the only singer who does that. It'd rather him having something to help him with the lyrics than him having total blackouts when singing :lol:

Couldn't find it, but I've seen a clean photo of Bono at his mic with the lyrics to PRIDE scrolling in front of him. Some artists just a guy running it no matter the song.

Obviously Bono is a fan or REM and Sinatra, both of whom had screens or music stage onstage while they performed.

Well since the prompter appears in so many official photographs, I don't think it's a real problem for Bono or the band if someone sees it. The audience also can see it. Most people don't know what that thing is, anyway :lol:

Well since the prompter appears in so many official photographs, I don't think it's a real problem for Bono or the band if someone sees it. The audience also can see it. Most people don't know what that thing is, anyway :lol:

What official photos? Those are from fan sites.

It's something they downplay but it's there for those who are looking. Sorta like when Bono cues/refers to TERRY in the middle of a concert and 98% of the crowd has no clue.

Yeah, that's true about the Terry thing, I always have to love when I hear him say that because 1. you can hardly understand what he mumbles there and 2. most people have no idea what he's on about.

Btw, I've seen press photos where you can see the whole stage including Bono's teleprompter. Admittedy, I've seen more from the Vertigo tour because the stuff was more visible there. But it's not like they're trying to hide these things.

Really? Why would a click track be cheating or offensive? :scratch:

Because (and this is only my opinion) I believe bands should remember the words, chords, and tempos of their songs.

To have a click track lead you in to almost every song in the show is basically setting up the tempo for you.

I just think it is very odd that the band hears this, but the audience does not.

It is just another level of sponteneity that disappears from a live show knowing the band has a little voice in their ear saying: "One, Two, Three..."

I imagine that when the band does screw up a song it has to do with someone playing something off tempo, thus screwing up what they are hearing in their ears.

I know it is an opinion and a slight technicality, but it has always bothered me to know they are being led into each song by a machine...

It also helps to stay out of the sound delay on stage. A Popmart documentary said they specifically designed those earpieces for the band so they could hear everything without delays on such a big stage.

I personally don't give a damn about the "spontaneity" of a show if it's a good show.

Because (and this is only my opinion) I believe bands should remember the words, chords, and tempos of their songs.

To have a click track lead you in to almost every song in the show is basically setting up the tempo for you.

I just think it is very odd that the band hears this, but the audience does not.

It is just another level of sponteneity that disappears from a live show knowing the band has a little voice in their ear saying: "One, Two, Three..."

I imagine that when the band does screw up a song it has to do with someone playing something off tempo, thus screwing up what they are hearing in their ears.

I know it is an opinion and a slight technicality, but it has always bothered me to know they are being led into each song by a machine...

Well it's only when songs are using backing tracks, otherwise you could never time it correctly. It's not about not knowing the tempo. Any band that uses backing tracks has to do this.

Many of Edge's guitar effect have to synched to a perfect tempo or they sound like shit. That echo thingie is part of u2's "Magic" and why other groups never get it.

U2 have been a band with visual "show" elements tied to tight musical arrangements dating back 20-25 years. They don't mind "style" having similar footage as substance.

Bands that just lay for a couple hours end up having everything sound like DMB, Pearl Jam or Bob Dylan. Bit tough to ask $250. This ain't your local blues jam at the local pub.

I'd rather a band have some setlist variety with a prompter rather than having the same memorized setlist every night.

Ok. Realised that I have a photo from Sheffield that shows Larry has the lyrics to the songs on his LG screen.........puzzle solved.

IMG_0708.jpg

I know it looks like I was sitting on stage where Sam sits to take that photo.................I wish :drool: Just a good zoom camera when Larrys kit was facing the rear of the stage!

Are you a musician? As a musician, I know that when you're performing in front of people you want things to be tight. When you're relying on a guitarist's delay (which is pre-set. Edge's delay relies on Larry to be playing at a certain exact timing.) and backing tracks (like the many required to duplicate U2's wall of sound) you need a click track.

Ok. Realised that I have a photo from Sheffield that shows Larry has the lyrics to the songs on his LG screen.........puzzle solved.

IMG_0708.jpg

interesting...but keep in mind that there could be anything they want on that LG screen, so this doesn't necessarily solve the puzzle...just part of it :)

I thought Larry wasn't interested in the lyrics?

I'm sure that monitor was Bono's idea so that Larry finally sees what U2 songs are about.

I thought Larry wasn't interested in the lyrics?

I'm sure that monitor was Bono's idea so that Larry finally sees what U2 songs are about.

Yes but he does sing alot more on this tour. It must be really hard to drum, listen to click tracks in your ears and remember the words. Lets face it Bono can`t sing and play guitar :lol:

Also maybe it explains why Bono stands behind Larry quite a few times - maybe he`s reading the lyrics too!

Well spotted Pamela thanks.

Was at the front for Cardiff and saw Bono's telemprompter. It's set up by a specific member of the road crew on the lower rim of the stage; he switched it on with a TV remote!

IMG_0708.jpg

Someone mentioned it earlier, but now I'm sure he's reading Interference.... specially converted to a large font for legibility. :D

Back
Top Bottom