Is this tour the begining of the end?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

educh

Babyface
I have not seen a show from this tour yet. I will be going to Tampa on 10/9. But Reading posts and reviews on this and other sites I'm getting the feeling that on this tour the band seems uninspired. When I saw U2 on the POPMART tour I felt that they had spent so much money and time on the spectacle itself that they as a band seems small and uninspired. I hope that U2 hasn't gotten to the point where they are on there way down. As much as I love this band I don't want them to turn into a has been band that doesn't matter anymore.

Thoughts?

haven't you heard? the band has announced their retirement. unfortunately their last show is the one right before Tampa 10/9. luckily, Ticketmaster will refund your ticket due to the cancellation of the show.

I have not seen a show from this tour yet. I will be going to Tampa on 10/9. But reading posts and reviews on this and other sites I'm getting the feeling that on this tour the band seems uninspired. When I saw U2 on the POPMART tour I felt that they had spent so much money and time on the spectacle itself that they as a band seems small and uninspired. During the Elevation and Vertigo tours, U2 seemed rejuvenated, at the top of their game. I have read more lukewarm comments on this tour than any other that I can remember.

I hope that U2 hasn't gotten to the point where they are on there way down. As much as I love this band I don't want them to turn into a has been band that doesn't matter anymore.

The setlist seems pretty dull , and they don't seem to be mixing it up very often. I get the impression of a band that is done experimenting and is getting a little lazy.

I hope I'm wrong!

What the hell is happening on this forum? i have seen more positive reviews about this tour than i had of any of the vertigo tour first leg shows, yet we keep getting posts like this?, imo this could actually be the beggining of the end for this forum :|

What the hell is happening on this forum? i have seen more positive reviews about this tour than i had of any of the vertigo tour first leg shows, yet we keep getting posts like this?, imo this could actually be the beggining of the end for this forum :|

it's the beginning of the end. that's what's happening. D-Day is upon us.

i hope Bono's ok.:sad:

Review by: Dave Thomas

THE UNFORGIVABLE CONFLICT

As a 'mature' music fan, I have been lucky enough to attend a large number of concerts over the years, including many major bands. This has included concerts in the open air, at stadia and in conventional venues.

Last night's concert was one of the best shows I have seen. The set, lighting and visuals were awesome.

Sadly, however, the sound was awful, not only between numbers but also the vocals and even the Desmond Tutu video. Occasional incredible guitar work was matched by other sections of sound which made it difficult to identify some well known numbers.

Even though we were in block 104 and thus diagonal to the stage, surely with the most expensive set ever, the sound should be good all round the stadium.

With todays technology and with the sums involved, this is not good enough. I have no doubt that the Band would be as disappointed as we were at the poor sound detracting from such a superb show.
.......................................................................................................................
i only started liking u2 about 3 or 4 years ago, when i was just 10/11 and last night i went to my very first u2. i'm 14 years old coming up to be 15, and i reckon i was probably on of the youngest people there! but that didnt exactly stop my excitement of actually seeing u2 for the very first time actually live infront of my eyes. and as a first time of seeing them i can honestly say that their performance blew me away from the minute they walked on that stage. i didnt think the song choices were going to be much a success, as starting with one of their new songs 'breathe' on their new album, no line on the horizon, i thought would be a bit hard to start with, especially when all you want to do is amaze the crowd and its kind of saying 'we're back, better than last time' but i was wrong, everything was perfect, the songs were from other various albums being mixed with their newer stuff and the first song certainly did get me off my seat.

my view was fantastic, i could see the stage perfectly which was amazing, because it was so big and quite incredible to see something like that be built in a stadium! they had these massive screens planted around them at the top which were indredible also, so clear to watch as well.
it was so worth seeing them and im so upset that i have to wait another 4 years for them to return, but seeing this concert will mean i'll be happy for a long time, not just because i've actually seen them close up, but because the way they commanded that stage and sang to not just do their job, but to make the hearts of everyone there glow and show their inner love for u2's beautiful sound become one huge sign for everyone to recognise
.......................................................................................................................
Review by: DaveW

This was a superb performance from a band on top of their game. The concern started off superbly and then just became better and better. The phase of the show that was; Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, MLK, Walk On, Where the Streets Have No Name, One, Bad was indeed heady stuff and there is no better band in the world today who can sustain that type of euphoric sound. This was visual and aural assault on the senses and the encores were just beyond belief with With or Without You, and Moment of Surrender sounding wonderful. Last night. these guys were peerless. Sheffield here we come!!

Finally, it may be be a cool thing to say here but what you got as we left was policing with a human face and the good humour of the crowd was extended to these guys who kept order and helped get us away quickly.

You gotta go!!!
Wow,saw U2 yesterday - 15 Aug 2009 at Wembley Stadium. The band were on top form and there was good audience participation as opposed to their first night there on the 14th Aug.
The Set List was ace - couldn't have wanted better,it included Bad,Stay and Until The End Of The World,which were not in the Set List for 14th Aug Wembley show or at the Stade de France,Paris,12 July 2009,where i was also lucky enough to have seen them! I loved the way Bono sang Unforgettable Fire,because i didnt know all the lyrics before and to hear '..don't push me too far'... He sang it with such feeling. Another highlight from this 360 Tour is the dance mix of If I Don't Go Crazy.. - it really gets you going! Yesterday's show proved what a great band they still are! It was a special night.
What a night, what a show! Louder than the previous and an exceptional set list. Bad, UTEOTW were awesome but for me Unknown Caller is becoming an amazing live song. Crowd loved U2 and were jumping, singing and clapping all night long. The dance remix of Crazy if...is brilliant yet funny at the same time and the whole experience was just magic.

On a personal note a big thank you to Bono for coming over to chat with us 20 or so fans who were waiting when they arrived to soundcheck. My 10 year old was amazed that he has shaken hands with the great man and the experience just added to what will go down as one of the best days of my (and hopefully also my sons Harry's) life.

P.S. sorry for the poor quality of picture 2 but I had to share with you the moment when Harry met Bono!
Review by: Craig

the lads were in top spirits tonight. A much more relaxed performance than the night before, with a different set. Played Mysterious Ways and invited a young girl on stage, which seems to be not the norm on this tour...great moment. Nice acoustic version of Stuck in a Moment. The set of Walk On, Where the Streets Have No Name and One was brilliant. Seems to work better this way. Vertigo is still a highlight, it was insane. One of the best stadium tracks you will ever see.
Review by: Thing

Great show!
I went both days in Göteborg and I am still flying as on clowds!
Must add that white flags are a sign to show support to the political issues that U2 is engaged in.
......................................................................................................................
Review by: nickh79

On my way home with train from Gothenburg after attending both shows from Redzone 1. The second show was so much better than the first show on friday. I don't know why but U2 was really on fire. Sometimes it was magical. Still haven't found, Streets, Ultraviolet and Moment of surrender were the best songs and that will live on in my memory forever. Best U2 concert I have ever seen so far with them on saturday night. I was missing Bad that I really hoped for. First concert on friday was good but saturday was pure magic. I give friday nights concert 3/5 stars and the concert on saturday 5/5 stars.
Review by: Michi

Night 2 in Dublin.

I flew in from Miami with high hopes for these 2 shows. Friday was on the pitch & it was fantastic. Today, I was in the stands. On the pitch I was surrounded by people from all over the world. Today everyone around me was Irish...it was amazing. No one left their seats to go get a drink, no one sat, no one moved until the lights came on. Tremendous respect for their home town band. They cheered & sang & showed their love in a way I had never seen before.

Being in the stands I got to see the light show that I didn't see on Friday being up by the outer rail. It was an amazing show.

Seeing the crowd around me go crazy during Sunday Bloody Sunday was very special. There was an older man behind me (I am 41), who was quite the whole show & when that song came on he sang at the top of his voice & cried like I have never seen a grown man cry. It moved me to tears. The woman in front of me told me that song was special here in Croke because of hill 16 & the Bloody Sunday incident of 1916. I thought I could do without hearing SBS again...I was wrong hearing it with all these Irish people screaming the words has made me want to listen to it over & over again.

Streets was amazing. To see the entire stadium lite up & everyone having the time of their life was amazing.

If you go see more than one 360 show, see at least one on the pitch & one in the stands, 2 very different shows. Also don't sit there and analyze the set list before your show. Go and enjoy the moment. You may rediscover an old favorite that you thought you were done with.

My 2 show in Dublin were the best U2 show I have seen. I have been going to U2 shows since 1985 & have now seen 22 shows. These shows were very special. The band was amazing. The sound was great. But the crowd was what made it all the more amazing. Thanks to everyone for making the reality better than the dream I have had for the last 20 years!

Until New York & Tampa!

No, this tour is the end of the end. The beginning of the end was when Bonor sold out to Brian Emo and made The Unforgettable Sellout after their best album, War.

I have not seen a show from this tour yet. I will be going to Tampa on 10/9.

I hope I'm wrong!

Not that I totally disagree with you, (I agree that some songs sound tired -with or without you for example)

However, when you've seen them live, you'll know they're at the top of their game as they've ever been.

I hope you re-post on this thread when you've been to Tampa :)

Reality is that U2 have a new album out soon, a contract that runs until they are almost 60 (i think) with livenation, the fact that U2 on a bad day is still better than any other band hitting top form in the world today. This, on top of the fact that this is one of the most sophisticated, boundary-breaking tours of U2's career so far (which is an impressive feat) when most acts of the same age would be winding up their careers with bog-standard stadium shows, shows that this is not the "end".
Far from it, this is simply a new phase in the ever expanding U2 canon.

Oh, Grow up Mikal! I agree with Educh.....

It seems that if you say anything about U2 that some other people do not like, you get flack on this site :angry:. You have a right to your opinion. I am going to see U2 in Boston and have not been to any of the shows yet; however, as much of a u2 that I am...and I am...I love them. I, too, wish that they would not put on the spectacle with the big stage, etc. My first concert was the PopMart Tour and I hated it. It was too much, uninspired and it took away from their music and their connection with their audience. Now, I know that the band did this 360 stage in order to make the audience the "5th member" of the band, but I prefer the concerts inside, more cozy, more connection, closer to the band. I loved the last few tours.

I, too, wish that they would not put on the spectacle with the big stage, etc. My first concert was the PopMart Tour and I hated it. It was too much, uninspired and it took away from their music and their connection with their audience. Now, I know that the band did this 360 stage in order to make the audience the "5th member" of the band, but I prefer the concerts inside, more cozy, more connection, closer to the band. I loved the last few tours.

...make sure you'll be in the FOS-area... it will be inspiring indeed.... ....also the $30,= seats behind the stage will give you the feeling you're in the sound
If you can't make that and you'll be further up in the GA-area or in the stands, don't worry.. you'll feel connected....

......indoor in small capacity halls can be more intimate, but doesn't necessarily have to be....

I saw three U2360 shows (Amsterdam 1+2 and London 1) and in my humble opinion they are in better shape than Elevation and Vertigo combined...

Have fun at the show you're attending

Every day is the beginning of the end. And every day is also the end of the beginning.

:)

Aw%20Jeez%20Not%20This%20Again.jpg

-dan

I have not seen a show from this tour yet. I will be going to Tampa on 10/9. But Reading posts and reviews on this and other sites I'm getting the feeling that on this tour the band seems uninspired. When I saw U2 on the POPMART tour I felt that they had spent so much money and time on the spectacle itself that they as a band seems small and uninspired. I hope that U2 hasn't gotten to the point where they are on there way down. As much as I love this band I don't want them to turn into a has been band that doesn't matter anymore.

Thoughts?

you haven't seen the show- from what I've seen the band don't look uninspired at all, they seem to be having a great time and the show is full of energy-

I don't see what else you could ask from them- they do a full on 2 and a bit hour show

the visuals don't overpower the music (I do tend to agree about Pop Mart)- and the set list is fine- some of the moaners here haven't even seen the show yet- fair enough if they still don't like it afterwards

It seems that if you say anything about U2 that some other people do not like, you get flack on this site :angry:. You have a right to your opinion. I am going to see U2 in Boston and have not been to any of the shows yet; however, as much of a u2 that I am...and I am...I love them. I, too, wish that they would not put on the spectacle with the big stage, etc. My first concert was the PopMart Tour and I hated it. It was too much, uninspired and it took away from their music and their connection with their audience. Now, I know that the band did this 360 stage in order to make the audience the "5th member" of the band, but I prefer the concerts inside, more cozy, more connection, closer to the band. I loved the last few tours.

i've just grown up. the original post still sucks, but yours sucks even more.

People have been saying this same exact thing since Rattle & Hum.

Not that I totally disagree with you, (I agree that some songs sound tired -with or without you for example)

However, when you've seen them live, you'll know they're at the top of their game as they've ever been.

I have been lucky to have seen U2 many times and I have never been disappointed, except maybe the during Popmart, I never really got into what the band was trying to do in that tour. Ironically, I LOVE the Pop album, I think it has some of U2's best work.

Every time I go to a U2 concert I expect to be wowed be the band. I really don't care about the spectacle, I would be fine with seeing these guys play without all of the technology.

I have been counting the days since the tour was announced!!! My question was based on some negative things that i have read. Yes, most of the things are positive, but i have seen a higher number of negative things said about this tour.

I would be fine with seeing these guys play without all of the technology.

Yeah I think it's fair to say almost 99% of us would to see them in a small club, but then reality sits in at some point.

I have been counting the days since the tour was announced!!! My question was based on some negative things that i have read. Yes, most of the things are positive, but i have seen a higher number of negative things said about this tour.
Where were you for the other tours?

Back
Top Bottom