Interpol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bizkit34

Acrobat
How are they ? Are they worth going early to see or better off tailgateing a little longer? If they are good what are some songs I might want to listen to before the show?...Thanks

I thought they were awful in Montreal.

Much preferred Florence + the Machine in Baltimore, and Muse in 2009. I even preferred Snow Patrol in 2009, actually.

The band weren't bad players, but that lead singer is so monotonous and the songs all sounded the same. I liked them better for Montreal 2 than 1, but still boring!

Wow worst opening act? Worse than BEP?:ohmy: Really interested in seeing them Thurs. I like a couple of their songs but other than those few songs I haven't ventured into much of their material. I will judge them for myself in Philly. Does anyone know if they're playing Obstacle 1 when they open these shows?

I just thought they had no stage presence. There was no interaction with the crowd and everything sounded the same. They came on, played and then said bye and left.

Easily the most critically acclaimed and "hip" band U2's had opening in ages, so I suppose it's no surprise everyone here hates them.

How 'bout that Spiderman?!

God, I'm really starting to get incredibly pissed off at every damn one of you. Interpol were amazing, are amazing, and the idea that a lot of you didn't even give them a chance (based on other reviews I've read) it just infuriating beyond belief.

I agree with the songs sounding exactly the same & them having no interaction with the crowd..
I think it's best to go for the whole show.. I mean you pay all that money.. might as well see the opening act, but that's my opinion.. & the only two songs that are actually good by Interpol is "Evil" & "Slow Hands"!

I like their first two albums a lot (thought their third was dull, and have not heard the latest), but have never seen them live.

Will reserve judgment on how they are as an opening act until I see them in Minneapolis.

Easily the most critically acclaimed and "hip" band U2's had opening in ages, so I suppose it's no surprise everyone here hates them.

They're critically acclaimed and hip, so it must be our poor taste?

I find them bland and generic. Nothing special about them at all. I played with my phone last night when they were on.

Sorry, but I'm with VP on this one.

I listened to some Interpol before the show so I knew what I was listening to and gave them a chance when they were playing. I didn't like them. So sue me.

Teeheehee

God, I'm really starting to get incredibly pissed off at every damn one of you. Interpol were amazing, are amazing, and the idea that a lot of you didn't even give them a chance (based on other reviews I've read) it just infuriating beyond belief.

I've given up on defending them around here. They are easily in the top 5 openers for u2, yet people are judging them on an opening slot, playing in the broad daylight with terrible mixing. But then they bring up snow patrol as being better and I realize how fruitless the arguing is *flush*

They are easily in the top 5 openers for u2, yet people are judging them on an opening slot, playing in the broad daylight with terrible mixing.

But ... what else are they supposed to judge them on as an opening act? I mean, this is the first exposure for some people to the band (obviously). How else should they be judging them?

If I'm not impressed with a band I've never heard before playing as an opening act, and I don't care for what I'm hearing, I'm not going to think "Well, maybe I should see them when it's dark and see if they get a better mix." I'm going to think "I didn't like what I heard, and based on that, I don't care to find out more."

I did see them open in Europe. They were fine, not great, but not Damian Marley bad either. I actually like their music, but have issues with Paul Bank's vocals. I'm just not a fan of his voice.

As far as stage presence, they certainly were better than Kings of Leon who nearly bored me to tears in '05.

you're pissed because I don't like Interpol? strange.

I had little to no exposure to Interpol before hearing them, so I was definitely giving them a chance, especially since I had heard nothing but good things about them.

They had me yawning during their set, and as others said, they had no stage presence. I was in the inner circle on July 9 and felt I was being put to sleep.

But ... what else are they supposed to judge them on as an opening act? I mean, this is the first exposure for some people to the band (obviously). How else should they be judging them?

Exactly. Isn't the purpose of an opening band to put themselves out there to a bigger audience and get more recognition? I recognized boredom.

Teeheehee

I've given up on defending them around here. They are easily in the top 5 openers for u2, yet people are judging them on an opening slot, playing in the broad daylight with terrible mixing. But then they bring up snow patrol as being better and I realize how fruitless the arguing is *flush*

heh.

when I saw Snow Patrol, I had heard nothing but bad things about them prior to seeing them and didn't expect much out of them. Do I think Snow Patrol are good? no. they have a couple of alright songs. Do I think they put on a better show than Interpol? yes, yes i do, at least in my exposure to them as 360 openers. In My Opinion.

First exposure to them live here and I thought they were great. I have more to say, but let me finish quoting first.
you're pissed because I don't like Interpol? strange.

I had little to no exposure to Interpol before hearing them, so I was definitely giving them a chance, especially since I had heard nothing but good things about them.

They had me yawning during their set, and as others said, they had no stage presence. I was in the inner circle on July 9 and felt I was being put to sleep.

No, I don't give a shit if you don't like Interpol as long as you were a polite audience that gave them a chance. If you were too busy talking, playing on your phone, cracking jokes, heckling and what have you, then yes, I am pissed off. Anytime a band gets to take the stage with a band of the caliber of U2, it's a great opportunity for them, they're likely nervous, they're always going to be mixed poorly, because that's just how it goes when you're an opening band (they don't want you taking any presence away from the main act).

If you truly, truly gave them a fair opportunity and you didn't like their performance, FINE, your loss. But if you were a bad audience to a band that did you no wrong and is just trying to make it in the business (and clearly U2 thinks they're worth a shot), that's just poor form on your part. THAT is what pisses me off.

Yeah, I hope the mix is okay in Minneapolis - I would actually like to hear them, rather than a big pile of muddy guitars or something, with a drone on top of it. :wink:

Yeah, I hope the mix is okay in Minneapolis - I would actually like to hear them, rather than a big pile of muddy guitars or something, with a drone on top of it. :wink:

I don't know about seats, but in the pit, he was clear as a bell to me. Sure, they were mixed lower than U2, but I could still understand him..as well as I can on the albums anyways, which I admit is not super well.

I know when I saw Muse in Dallas a lot of people in seats said they sounded like shit, but again, they sounded excellent to me in GA.

I don't understand the terrible mixing thing JT. To be honest they sounded pretty identical in TO to how they sounded in Montreal.

Fwiw, here's why I don't like them: Every song sounds the same, and unnecessarily so. They have what appears to be a relatively talented keyboardist. Why for the love of everything musical do 9 songs out of 10 all start with that dreary four-chord un-effected guitar intro which is really just the same chords rearrangeded over and over? Secondly, as someone pointed out, they may well be a great album band, ie they put out something that sounds great in your headphones or something..but live they just don't come across at all. The lead singer's voice is boring as hell, and he's got no stage presence. Finally, I found many of the songs ended in either a train wreck kindof vibe or just abruptly..way too understated.

I don't like Snow Patrol and knew maybe one or two of their songs. But at least their songs translated fairly well and the lead singer was somewhat engaging/endearing/entertaining. I still didn't like them all that much but they were easily a better opening act than Interpol.

And yes Interpol was far worse than BEP as an opener for U2. BEP got the crowd in earlier, has songs that people wanted to hear and milked the stage setup for all they were probably permitted to.

Fwiw, here's why I don't like them: Every song sounds the same, and unnecessarily so. They have what appears to be a relatively talented keyboardist. Why for the love of everything musical do 9 songs out of 10 all start with that dreary four-chord un-effected guitar intro which is really just the same chords rearrangeded over and over? Secondly, as someone pointed out, they may well be a great album band, ie they put out something that sounds great in your headphones or something..but live they just don't come across at all. The lead singer's voice is boring as hell, and he's got no stage presence. Finally, I found many of the songs ended in either a train wreck kindof vibe or just abruptly..way too understated.

Amen to this.

I don't understand the terrible mixing thing JT. To be honest they sounded pretty identical in TO to how they sounded in Montreal.

I don't doubt that. I'm saying that for whatever reason, their crew hasn't figured out the mixing for the size of the venue. All the other times I've seen them, they've sounded crisp and you could make out all the different instruments. They are too loud all around for some reason here. I'm just annoyed and a little disappointed that people are blowing them off, is all. Especially when they are (or at least were. I'll give you guys the fact that the newer albums arent as good as the older ones) one of the most talented bands opening.

Heres the thing: Know when you meet people who say things like "U2 are shit. They've been shit since after Joshua Tree". And you dont really care, but you're annoyed because you know the only exposure they've gotten to U2 since then has been like, Get On Your Boots and Elevation? That's what I'm feeling right now

Back
Top Bottom