Interpol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was at the Toronto show last night. I thought Interpol did a great job. I am not too familiar with them but they played well and had some catchy tunes. I want to check out their new album after hearing them.

Yes they didn't say too much between songs and they didn't go out of their way to connect with the crowd but its sorta hard for opening bands as they are playing to half empty stadiums and those there for the most part don't care. The sound wasn't great for them either. All the elements are really against the opening band.

I thought Third Eye Blind were really brutal when they opened for U2 in 1997. I'm a big fan of their first 2 albums but Stephan Jenkins cannot sing live to save his life. He sounds great on record but he probably sings his vocals in the studio one line at a time. He really struggled live. Too bad as their former guitar player at that time Kevin Cadogen is a fantastic guitar player and very underated.

Was at the Toronto show last night. I thought Interpol did a great job. I am not too familiar with them but they played well and had some catchy tunes. I want to check out their new album after hearing them.

Do yourself a favor and stick with the first two albums (Turn on the Bright Lights and Antics). The new one isn't anything to write home about.

I saw Interpol in Montreal the 9th and have to agree, they were not good. I saw them an album ago in a theatre setting and they were very good. But after their second album, they have not been much to write home about. They haven't evolved their music like other bands (KOL lets say) have. Just my opinion.

I would love it if U2 went the Springsteen Way and skipped an opener. And then played longer. ..... andalsotryhisGAmethod.

:shifty:

I liked the random method of getting into the inner circle. You get either in or on the outer rail if you arrive early. I don't like the rail....just can't see the whole production as well.

I would love it if U2 went the Springsteen Way and skipped an opener. And then played longer. ..... andalsotryhisGAmethod.

:shifty:

Yeah, agreed. I've seen Springsteen several times in arena settings and never once seen an opening act. He doesn't need one, and neither does U2.

In all fairness to Interpol, their music just didn't strike me as my kind of thing. On the other hand, I've seen an even dozen U2 shows over the past ten years, and these are the opening acts I've seen: Garbage, Kings of Leon, Kanye West, BEP and Snow Patrol. If the job of an opening band is indeed to warm up the crowd to at least some extent, all of these acts did a much better job. I'm personally not a fan of any of them but found the performances (though not necessarily the music itself) much better.

Muse was total shit. WHO THE FUCK IS DEGRADING YOU?

Florence + The Machine = Average (Florence = The Machine - Average?)

With regard to Interpol, I just listened to "Obstacle 1" on YouTube. It appears as though they're moderatly hip and moderatly talented.

I'm sure if U2 wanted, it could've found more talented hipsters to open its shows. Convince Modest Mouse that The Claw isn't way too mainstream, and then put them up there.

Jay-Z did a really good job with a crowd that was largely against him.

YouTube - ‪Jay-Z "Encore" @ U2 360° Concert, ANZ Stadium, Sydney Olympic Park‬‏

Seriously watch that!! The final minute is crazy! I feel desperately sorry for anyone who didn't get to see him, even more those who had to sit through the truly terrible opening acts.

I like how these people have Jay-Z performing literally directly in front of their faces, and there's like 5 people half-heartedly clapping while everyone else stoically stares him down.

I like how these people have Jay-Z performing literally directly in front of their faces, and there's like 5 people half-heartedly clapping while everyone else stoically stares him down.

That was an anomoly.

Check this out:

YouTube - ‪"Empire State of Mind" JAY-Z in Sydney - U2 360* Tour‬‏

and realize where that's being filmed from. The pit, shit, the entire fucking GA is going OFF and the people in the stands are feelin it too. Never mind warming them up, he ignited their asses! And this was in Australia!!

This video just kills me..at first you think it might be just these two wacky girls and then it pans out and it's just crazy how the crowd is reacting. watch the other ones from this show too especially the one shot from the stands for his encore. He owned the Claw and used all the bells and whistles short of dropping the screen. In broad daylight. Just amazing.

You in love with Kate Hudson, just asking? :wink:

I have to concur with cobbler on Jay-z, when I heard Oz was having him as an opener for 360, I did bitch and moan about why again with the hip hop. Kanye on Vertigo didn't really do much for me, though I appreciate he tried to win the crowd over (and thought that by Melbourne II he did manage) but by God, Jay-z!!!! I went in trying not to be biased but he really was good. And at all 4 shows I saw, GA was going off (I was in seats, thank the Lord, cos I'm too old for all this lining up malarkey).

I saw Interpol play a club about 5 or so years ago, and I can appreciate they probably aren't a stadium band. Still, I'd have loved to have seen them open for U2, oh well...

And as I love a good conspiracy theory, I believe support bands are chosen solely to make the headliner look good. They don't want the show to peak before they're even on stage!!! And of course the sound is going to be shit, it's a support band tradition!

And no, U2 fans aren't more generous than other fans: they bottled Spear of Destiny, Billy Bragg, the Ramones AAAAANNDDD REM when they supported U2 at Milton Keynes 1985, which was possibly the last time U2 played an outdoor festival. And those bottles often contained U2 fan urine.... :bleurgh:

Kanye himself was fantastic. But he was doing a mini-Late Orchestration thing, and how they mixed the strings for the stadium? Not so great. That was his main (only?) issue I think. The thinking seemed to be that the way to compensate for what the heavy beat/bass does in a stadium was to simply turn the strings up to eleven, making them really screechy (to use the technical term.) And via talking to friends and reading dozens of 'friends' facebook posts - none of which were from hardcore U2 fans - I heard/read nothing but supremely positive raving about Jay Z.

And of all the other supports on this tour (off the top of my head) I'd take Interpol next after Arcade Fire, if I could choose. Snow Patrol and BEP would be riiiiiight down the bottom of that list.

I could seriously do without opening bands, not only for U2, but for everyone. It's the rare case that I enjoy an opening act. Muse, Snow Patrol and Lenny Kravitz were pleasurable exceptions to this rule on 360.

I've always thought it would be much better if they simply showed the Red Rocks DVD on a huge screen at full volume before they came on. That would take care of all the retread songs (SBS, NYD, IWF) and get the crowd totally pumped up.

We saw the Tokyo Vertigo shows in 2006 with no opening act. It was fantastic. The doors opened at 6pm, U2 came on at 8pm, played for two rockin' hours, and we were out the door at 10:15pm feeling fresh and energetic.

^^This.

U2 are too big for openers now. Especially in a stadium setting. Most those bands are taken out of their element, as I just saw Interpol 2 months ago w/ an audience of maybe 3,000 in Helotes TX. Your telling me 2 months later their playing 50,000+??? Its impossible for a band, especially for a rock band.

Pop/Hip Hop groups have the assistance of booming bass to get a crowd excited. Rock bands need to win a crowd over w/ a performance and its hard for any rock band to have a performance their comfortable w/ in any stadium. Especially the 360 stage!!

I doubt Interpol played to anywhere near 50,000. Maybe 10,000 - 20,000 max. Probably closer to the low end of that number.

Lenny Kravitz is a rock artist as are Muse. Don't seem to have a problem with bass or stadiums.

The biggest stadium shows in history have all been by rock artists, U2 included. They don't have a problem with bass.

Actually one of the hardest genres to bring to a stadium and really make it work is hip hop. Jay-Z's feat was no small one in terms of what hip hop artists have accomplished with mainstream artists in a market that isn't even traditionally huge on rap.

in my humble opinion, U2 did a great job getting BEP, Rage Against the Machine, THE F&CKING PIXIES for pete's sake !!

Kings of Leon, although I thought they sucked when they opened for U2, totally blew up the charts after opening for U2. Even Muse was pretty good.

Interpol just isn't my cup of tea.

That was an anomoly.

Check this out:

and realize where that's being filmed from. The pit, shit, the entire fucking GA is going OFF and the people in the stands are feelin it too. Never mind warming them up, he ignited their asses! And this was in Australia!!

This video just kills me..at first you think it might be just these two wacky girls and then it pans out and it's just crazy how the crowd is reacting. watch the other ones from this show too especially the one shot from the stands for his encore. He owned the Claw and used all the bells and whistles short of dropping the screen. In broad daylight. Just amazing.

that girl in green just rocked "the cabbage patch" dance !!:hyper:

Crowd reaction in Toronto at Interpol, by me. One of the last songs.. Before this I was too busy sleeping.
p1020199b.jpg

I gave their music a chance in the past a few times, and didn't come out very impressed. At least enough to download/buy their albums anyway. But I didn't think they were that bad live at the Chicago show. I've seen a lot worse opening bands at other shows.

God, I'm really starting to get incredibly pissed off at every damn one of you. Interpol were amazing, are amazing, and the idea that a lot of you didn't even give them a chance (based on other reviews I've read) it just infuriating beyond belief.

I'm really sorry mate, but I saw them in Brussels with an open mind, having never heard of them, and just saw them again in Montreal and Toronto.

It was the same total snoozefest, it all sounded like one giant song. The lead singer is just a guitar player/singer, he's no front man at all! All he says is thank you very much, we are interpol, this is *song name*. He has NO feeling for the crowd at all, and his voice is so monotonous it literally made me fall asleep.

It's nice if you like them, but I can totally get where the rest are getting their opinions from. I just do NOT understand why this band is an opener for U2.

That was an anomoly.

Check this out:

Now that is the appropriate reaction to Jay-Z.

Back
Top Bottom