Interpol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2387 said:
Keane 2005=Excellent.

Snow Patrol 2009=Excellent.

Jay-Z would've been awesome, as would Muse or Florence and The Machine.

Lenny Kravitz and The Fray, I've seen and enjoyed both.

One Republic I could see being alright.

Go through U2 history- Steven Van Zandt, Lone Justice, The Pogues, Rage Against The Machine, The Coors, etc, etc.

Interpol just is not good. Sorry

Great, thanks.

Look, I do not like interpol. But many acts struggle with getting the sound in the house right when they're put in as an opener, especially at large venues that they aren't used to playing, and with far less time and access to soundcheck. That is what I meant by most openers will suck.

Many a time I have not been overly impressed with an opener, not just at a u2 show, but end up liking them later on.

Interpol may very well suck, but it ain't easy being an opening act.

The only openers I was REALLY impressed with before U2 were Snow Patrol and the Kaiser Chiefs. The Script was nice, but yeah they didn't really impress much. Bell X1 wasn't bad but not great either. Kasabian was good but they didn't get the crowd like SP and KC did. Massive crowd response and for SP in Amsterdam the entire stadium was filled for the opener! Including 99% of the seats!

But many acts struggle with getting the sound in the house right when they're put in as an opener, especially at large venues that they aren't used to playing, and with far less time and access to soundcheck. That is what I meant by most openers will suck.

I understand this and agree, to a degree, but then how do we explain the other openers who didn't suck? They had the same access to soundcheck as the others, and it's not like they just had the one chance and done...they've been on multiple shows now. So at some level they have to take responsibility for their own sound guy not mixing them properly. :shrug:

But to be honest I don't attribute much of their performance to the sound at all, really..I didn't think it was all THAT bad. I could hear all the parts, the vocals were right out front, etc. Most of my issue with them is with what the musicians were doing, not the technicians. A better soundguy / mix won't fix the fact that all the songs sound similar, that the keyboardist is a non factor, that the singers voice is pretty monotonous, that the guitar is pretty much identical from song to song...I dunno.

gvox said:
I understand this and agree, to a degree, but then how do we explain the other openers who didn't suck? They had the same access to soundcheck as the others, and it's not like they just had the one chance and done...they've been on multiple shows now. So at some level they have to take responsibility for their own sound guy not mixing them properly. :shrug:

But to be honest I don't attribute much of their performance to the sound at all, really..I didn't think it was all THAT bad. I could hear all the parts, the vocals were right out front, etc. Most of my issue with them is with what the musicians were doing, not the technicians. A better soundguy / mix won't fix the fact that all the songs sound similar, that the keyboardist is a non factor, that the singers voice is pretty monotonous, that the guitar is pretty much identical from song to song...I dunno.

More experience and/or better sound guys? I really don't know.

It didn't surprise me that an experienced band like muse sounded great at 360, just as it didn't surprise me that a young kings of leon sounded muddled.

Saw them again in St. Louis last night. Big improvement from Chicago. Their sound was much, much better, and the band looked more relaxed. More importantly, there was a connection with the crowd I didn't see in Chicago. While the crowd probably wasn't blown away, they were definitely into it and having fun, despite the miserable heat and humidity. After the opening song, the crowd gave them a nice round of applause that almost seemed to catch Banks off guard a bit.

Saw them again in St. Louis last night. Big improvement from Chicago. Their sound was much, much better, and the band looked more relaxed. More importantly, there was a connection with the crowd I didn't see in Chicago. While the crowd probably wasn't blown away, they were definitely into it and having fun, despite the miserable heat and humidity. After the opening song, the crowd gave them a nice round of applause that almost seemed to catch Banks off guard a bit.
:hmm: Well that's a nice change. Did the singer actually talk to the crowd this time?

Proof positive: not only does U2 read Interference...

...BUT SO DOES INTERPOL!!!

:wink:

Dun dun dunnnnnnnn

It almost makes it seem like Interference matters somehow in the grand scheme of things. :wink:

I absolutely do NOT believe that you didn't puke repeatedly during BEP!

Not. Physically. Possible.

God, this thread blows. Interpol bitching, hip-hop bitching, rainbow gif bitching...it's like everything good in the world is getting taken to the woodshed. And Snow Patrol is being referred to as excellent, which is the overstatement of the decade.

/opinion I can say freely because everyone else can say theirs

I don't know at which side of the argument to be annoyed at more to be honest.

God, this thread blows. Interpol bitching, hip-hop bitching, rainbow gif bitching...it's like everything good in the world is getting taken to the woodshed. And Snow Patrol is being referred to as excellent, which is the overstatement of the decade.

/opinion I can say freely because everyone else can say theirs

Needs moar LeMel bitching then. :wink: Snow Patrol is awesome!

Why do people say *band name* is *adjective* and not *band name* are *adjective*? :scratch:

Anyway ...

:hmm: Well that's a nice change. Did the singer actually talk to the crowd this time?

Nah, not a whole lot more than Chicago. They did end up playing a shorter set as well. But, like I said, the mix and overall sound quality was a lot better and there was a much better crowd response.

Dont click this GG!

Open Your Eyes makes me want to kill puppies.

god i hate that song. before i moved to nz the only song of theirs i'd ever heard was chasing cars. i did hear them during one of the chicago shows i saw in 09 (got there after they played for the other date) but since i spent the whole time talking to people and generally tuning them out it doesn't count.

but jesus i hated chasing cars. now i see their crap on tv and ian's sister likes them so now i hear them all the fucking time. barf.

Two things on Snow Patrol.

(a) Hahahahahahahahaha... hahahahahahahahahahahaha... haha.

(b) The video clip for the almost equally horrific Open Your Eyes uses part of the short film C'était un Rendezvous - whole thing is awesome - and it annoys me that it used to get so many compliments as just a clip for/and is now for most people attached to, a Snow Patrol song. That is all.

Screw you guys, Snow Patrol were good.

I hated them the first seven times I saw them, though, but gradually grew to enjoy their sets.

Kind of like the unattractive person constantly hitting on you, until finally you just give in and throw them a shag.

Some guys in the front row in Moscow were giving them a hard time, so Gary checks them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5G1XB688yI

Back
Top Bottom