Inner Circle policy from Baja @ U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tell me something for toronto GA on the 17 i got GA13 what does that mean i suspect it means entry from gate 13 which is the back left side of Rogers centre. can i run around then and move to the front? what gives someone help

i got GA20 for my TO1 tix, there is no Gate 20 at Rogers Centre...it's just a number....

what they might do this time is do the lottery scan, and keep a count of those entering, but stop at the trigger point established by the Fire Marshall

I'll be 34 by the time U2 comes to Toronto, so I am kinda hesitant joining the GA line so early. I was 4 feet back of the ellipse last tour, and that was close enough to see the band and also get a good visual of the stage.

any closer this tour and you risk breaking your neck looking up at the 360 degree video wall and stage setup

if they were definitely going with the lottery system (a la Vertigo) they would have said so at this point- given that the message talked about local laws, rules etc I think it will be as last time in Europe- first come first served and restricted by rules about camping out overnight at the venue etc etc

if they were definitely going with the lottery system (a la Vertigo) they would have said so at this point- given that the message talked about local laws, rules etc I think it will be as last time in Europe- first come first served and restricted by rules about camping out overnight at the venue etc etc

Rolling Stone reported about a month ago that the lottery system would indeed be used this tour.

I think it's probably going to be different in the US and Europe.

I tend to agree. Don't think they will do a lottery system anyway, with probably around 15,000 GA tickets the sheer volume of people coming in through the doors will render it impractical.

There was a lady with a bullhorn in the GA line? Was she part of the U2 stadium crew or was it a fan who appointed herself as line boss?

She was not self-appointed. I don't know who employed her, not the venue since I saw her at basically every show I went to. She would come out right before they started scanning, yell a bunch of things into her bullhorn that no one could understand.

She was not self-appointed. I don't know who employed her, not the venue since I saw her at basically every show I went to. She would come out right before they started scanning, yell a bunch of things into her bullhorn that no one could understand.

Ain't that the truth.

She also played favorites and I personally saw her let in people who did not scan VERTIGO.

She yelled at a friend who was waiting to see if I scanned VERTIGO. She kept telling him to move on but he was waiting for me and luckily I scanned VERTIGO so he had the last laugh!

When I saw her at Monterrey I was scared, but they didn't have a lottery there!

I tend to agree. Don't think they will do a lottery system anyway, with probably around 15,000 GA tickets the sheer volume of people coming in through the doors will render it impractical.

Yeah organising so may people would surley be a nightmare for tour staff. :yikes:

:lol: I never understood anything she said either. :wink:

There was a lady with a bullhorn in the GA line? Was she part of the U2 stadium crew or was it a fan who appointed herself as line boss?

She was not self-appointed. I don't know who employed her, not the venue since I saw her at basically every show I went to.

She works/worked for TNA. Not sure about her, but TNA will be on tour again. It's a LiveNation company I believe.

Ain't that the truth.

She also played favorites and I personally saw her let in people who did not scan VERTIGO.

She yelled at a friend who was waiting to see if I scanned VERTIGO. She kept telling him to move on but he was waiting for me and luckily I scanned VERTIGO so he had the last laugh!

I don't doubt that she yelled, I saw her do so also. Then again, I would be yelling to if I had to deal with 8000 "me's" (ie rabid GA fans lol) 110 times over a year or so also. :lol: I'm sure she got sick of seeing me the 20+ times she did. :uhoh:

I don't really feel she played favorites or tried to be mean to people so much as just tried to ensure the efficient flow of human traffic through lines. People get seriously hurt or killed in stampedes, and it's part of her job to keep things flowing. I think towards the beginning of the tour the system had alot of kinks and she did the best she could, then as the tour progressed and they had better ideas of what the ellipse was like with 'n' number of people inside, she was given leeway to let in a few more here and there.

I personally did not scan or get let in on someone else's scan I think about 3 or 4 times. She let me in once and on another occasion (in Miami?) I came by myself between the opening act and U2, scanned and asked her to allow someone else to come in on my scan who was a few minutes behind me. She told me to wait well away from traffic (in other words, go away till they come). I did so, basically made myself invisible and when my party came I waited till she was free and she was happy to help, in fact let 1 other in as well so our group of 3 wouldn't be split up. That's not really wrong, there was buffer built into the ellipse numbers I think to handle such situations. A couple other times I didn't scan and I gave her this begging look and she just laughed and said 'not this time' and I didn't feel bad, it's just part of the game. Sometimes you win, sometimes you...well, you don't really 'lose' at a U2 show...at Portland, the final show, I did not scan, and thought hell, last show, she'll let me in...nope, she didn't (I did get hooked up once in the general GA area, however ;) ) So I don't think she played 'favorites' per se.

They're just people. I had no issues with anything she did. You have to be tough to work in a job like that.

Does anyone else get the feeling that not very many GA tickets were made available? I was lucky enough to be in the Horizon group and bought Chicago GA tickets at exactly 10 am and they were numbered 519 and 520 . . . I kept checking the GA tickets all throughout the Breathe sale because my SIL was in Boots and was planning on buying the rest of the GA's we needed, right before boots went on sale the ticket numbers were up to 887 :confused:. Tried for GA's during the general sale and came up with nothing . . . So did they really only sell maybe 500 GA tickets so far???

I don't really feel she played favorites or tried to be mean to people so much as just tried to ensure the efficient flow of human traffic through lines. People get seriously hurt or killed in stampedes, and it's part of her job to keep things flowing. I think towards the beginning of the tour the system had alot of kinks and she did the best she could, then as the tour progressed and they had better ideas of what the ellipse was like with 'n' number of people inside, she was given leeway to let in a few more here and there.

I personally did not scan or get let in on someone else's scan I think about 3 or 4 times. She let me in once and on another occasion (in Miami?) I came by myself between the opening act and U2, scanned and asked her to allow someone else to come in on my scan who was a few minutes behind me. She told me to wait well away from traffic (in other words, go away till they come). I did so, basically made myself invisible and when my party came I waited till she was free and she was happy to help, in fact let 1 other in as well so our group of 3 wouldn't be split up. That's not really wrong, there was buffer built into the ellipse numbers I think to handle such situations. A couple other times I didn't scan and I gave her this begging look and she just laughed and said 'not this time' and I didn't feel bad, it's just part of the game. Sometimes you win, sometimes you...well, you don't really 'lose' at a U2 show...at Portland, the final show, I did not scan, and thought hell, last show, she'll let me in...nope, she didn't (I did get hooked up once in the general GA area, however ;) ) So I don't think she played 'favorites' per se.

They're just people. I had no issues with anything she did. You have to be tough to work in a job like that.

That's your opinion and I respect it. However, there were not 8,000 people in GA on the floor. And if she is going to yell to get us info, then she needed to make sure we heard her because half the time we didn't.

Don't get me started on the San Diego opener. TNA didn't know what the heck they were doing.

At the opener, my friend scanned but had to wait for me and they kept trying to tell him to move. Paul McGuinness said he could wait. We were split up because they had us seperate into General Sales line vesus fan club tickets line (it was not what they had later on in the tour of whether or not you were a member).

But if she let's people in and they didn't scan. It's wrong. Nobody had scanned in yet since I was up front. If she's going to do it for them, why not more people. Plus, she kept re-scanning the same ticket 3 times and it still didn't scan.

No, she was outright rude to my friend and he was waiting to the side. She told him to go to the floor.

All, I'm saying is that they need to be consistent. Buffer or no buffer. If they let in 4 people on 1 person then the story of everyone has a chance to get "in" is wrong. On one show, they stopped scanning and I never had my ticket scanned.

That's your opinion and I respect it....

(etc)

Ok well how many were there then? It was in the thousands I know that much. My point is multiply that number by the number of shows and you get a rough idea of how many people she had to ferry through those lines over the course of the tour.

Honestly it seems that your experience is based on the opening night. You were right at the front and were one of the first tickets to get run through the new fangled system, so yeah of course they checked tickets a few times to make sure the thing was working ok. I'm sure those people whose tickets they rechecked certainly appreciated that. I don't know what you expected short of mayhem. They had to do their job with no exceptions that night, of course they did. That is the way opening night works, and as I said, as the tour progressed kinks got worked out, numbers got noted and allowances made. From what I've heard from most fans it was pretty consistent once the tour got rolling. :up:

With regards to Mr McGuinness, later into the tour he would sometimes hand out wristbands once the show started to people in the general GA area. Does that mean he 'played favorites'? For every fan that thinks that, another fan thinks holy crap he/she was nice to me and gave me a break. That fan could be you sometime :)

Anyways, I doubt the lottery will be in effect, notwithstanding comments thus far to the contrary. So not much sense worrying about it, as it will either be in effect and in a more refined form than last tour (ie look at how much better the presale was this time) or it will not be in effect. :shrug:

Ok well how many were there then? It was in the thousands I know that much. My point is multiply that number by the number of shows and you get a rough idea of how many people she had to ferry through those lines over the course of the tour.

Honestly it seems that your experience is based on the opening night. You were right at the front and were one of the first tickets to get run through the new fangled system, so yeah of course they checked tickets a few times to make sure the thing was working ok. I'm sure those people whose tickets they rechecked certainly appreciated that. I don't know what you expected short of mayhem. They had to do their job with no exceptions that night, of course they did. That is the way opening night works, and as I said, as the tour progressed kinks got worked out, numbers got noted and allowances made. From what I've heard from most fans it was pretty consistent once the tour got rolling. :up:

With regards to Mr McGuinness, later into the tour he would sometimes hand out wristbands once the show started to people in the general GA area. Does that mean he 'played favorites'? For every fan that thinks that, another fan thinks holy crap he/she was nice to me and gave me a break. That fan could be you sometime :)

Anyways, I doubt the lottery will be in effect, notwithstanding comments thus far to the contrary. So not much sense worrying about it, as it will either be in effect and in a more refined form than last tour (ie look at how much better the presale was this time) or it will not be in effect. :shrug:

2,500 GA tickets on the floor I believe but there are several who don't get scanned when they close up shop. I know about how hard it is to deal with thousands of people. I was in the cow pens in Honolulu.

However, she was not in charge of organizing us. Supervisor of Scanning tickets and giving out wristbands is basically what she did. Every show I was at, we waiting patiently to get scanned and nobody was ever a problem.

Nope, I had mulitple experience in the 1st leg and 3rd leg.

I was lumping up all my experiences so I'm sorry for that.

I wasn't up front for the opener and my ticket was never scanned for the lottery since my friend's scanned and he was waiting for me.

Boston in Dec 2005 was where the mulitple scannings took place and that was at the end of the 3rd leg. So the kinks were not worked out.

I didn't mind them giving out wristbands to people on the floor near the soundboard. That was a nice surprise for the folks. I saw this at Philly. I scanned during Philly 3rd leg and she wasn't nice about it. She was actually kinda mad that I scanned because then my friend came in with me.

Playing favorites is when you let the same people in where you build a relationship with over the tour. These people did not scan in and were given a wristband anyways. If they did it later on, ok whatever but don't do it right in front of people.

What I'm hoping to learn before the show is whether the "center circle" is going to be first come, first served or whether it will be a lottery like Vertigo...and what time they will allow fans to begin lining up for the show. Also would like to know if the field is sectioned off in any way...in some of the diagrams it appears there is a rail of storts about 1/3 of the way back on the field. Is that a break in the crowd, or is that jsut part of the stage diagram?

**So many questions!** :lol: :doh: :D

BTW, I saw Dave Matthews Band at their concert in Central Park about 5 years ago and thought the plan was brilliant. From what I remember, they opened the gates at 3pm and had one entrance along 5th Ave. We all walked/ran to the Great Lawn where the concert was being held and there were "corrals" set up. Once you were in your corral, you were set. There were Porto Potties, etc, and that way we were not
smashed from behind by 100,000 people who showed up at 7pm. That was a GREAT show and very well handled.

Having worked at several sports arenas in my career...EVERY ONE OF THEM will have a different policy for how GA works, how early the doors will open, how many places you can enter from, etc. It's a combo of the legal issues for the arena/stadium/city/state and the policies already in place for the stadium/arena. There is generally a team of full time Operations staff that work M-F 9-5 for the venue to plan these things, and then a slew of event folks who carry the plans out. They will vary state to state, country to country. EVERY area/stadium will be different.

it appears on the u2 tour page that the new dates confirmed this week have an updated stage picture on the venue maps.

tell me something for toronto GA on the 17 i got GA13 what does that mean i suspect it means entry from gate 13 which is the back left side of Rogers centre. can i run around then and move to the front? what gives someone help

Picked up my TO tix last night and it says right on the tickets "GA-ENTER GATE 15" (even though it says GA8)

What if there were 'xxx' amount of pre-sale GA tix thru U2.com, and that = the amount that can get into the 'inner circle' (thus priority)? Not that everyone in pre-sale GA will camp out/wait in line, thus giving general sale people a chance as well :shrug: :reject:

Back
Top Bottom