How will 360 be topped?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
powerhour24 said:
I'm guessing he meant the shift in scope from 360 to the next tour being akin to PopMart-->Elevation.

Well, popmart had mixed success. 360 was universally praised.

I think they'll go back to arenas too, but I wouldn't rule out stadiums. If ever there was a time for a multi venue tour like the stones did, this next one will be it.

If ever there was a time for a multi venue tour like the stones did, this next one will be it.

God it would be good. I'd say the chances are zero, but the conditions are as good as they'll ever be for something like that. There's more than a bit of nostalgia around, Bono has mentioned a couple of times this (never happening) rarities tour idea, and part of that, or separately, they might have a bit of a realisation that as the years go by, as the possible number of future tours dwindle, as the 'must play every night' list grows ever larger... there's a whole lot of great songs there that now stand a real risk of never being played live again. I'm hoping all of that comes up in their figuring out what to do next, and a Stones like tour would be one (great) option. Play U218 in the stadium on night one, play the rarities for the faithful in the theater on night two... amazing.

I've always gotten the impression that Larry really doesn't want to tour that much; I can see him being the one putting the brakes on and wanting to stay home with his kids, while Bono seems to really enjoy it. Listening to the live feed from U2.com the other night, it sounded like Bono was crying a few times, and he usually doesn't seem to do that until the very end of the tour. I thought it was a little strange that he was losing it when there were still six or seven more shows to go.
I´ve never heard Bono crying :( in any situation.

Larry is actually the one that wants to stop this tour lol. Bono wants to keep going.

But yeah, I doubt they'll try to top 360, it'll be either similar or downscaled. But PLEASE continue to play stadiums, at least in Europe. I don't want to have arena's here, they're WAY too frickin' small so it'd be a horror getting tickets.

Bad Larry, I´m gonna beat him :lol:
I´d like a tour in stadiums again too, but just for the fact it´s bigger, and getting tickets is always a horror.

Anytime you have a band that's getting up there in age, you can never be completely sure if it's the last tour or not. We already came very close to the end with bono's back surgery. Just take it all in, savor the moment, and hope for a few more.
Noo, please :sad: ´Cause I want to see them again and also in a next next tour to see them in Europe.
Bono had said they will stop when they are 60.

The tour crew was complaining when they mixed arenas and stadiums in a single leg on JT tour...I don't think they will do a multiple venue tour, nor would they play anything smaller than arenas.

U2girl said:
The tour crew was complaining when they mixed arenas and stadiums in a single leg on JT tour...I don't think they will do a multiple venue tour, nor would they play anything smaller than arenas.

That was like 25 years ago... I believe the touring industry has changed just a bit between the Joshua tree tour and today. Just a hunch.

Steved1998 said:
No but the baseless speculation has!

Only a matter of time before the setlist complainers chime in..

I already hate the next tour. It needs to be more like 360.

:laugh: too true!

Look I think the next tour will be "360 topping" in its own right, because U2 have never really failed us when going on the road.

:laugh: too true!

Look I think the next tour will be "360 topping" in its own right, because U2 have never really failed us when going on the road.

Well, they did fail us in terms of "topping" when they did Popmart...and when they did Vertigo.

Although I titled the thread "How will 360 be topped?", I should have said "How will the next tour be different and good?". I'd say 360 didn't top ZooTv, but also ZooTv didn't top 360. They were both very different and very good. Popmart was very different. Vertigo was additional legs of Elevation. :wink:

I think we will have to wait a few years to find out. and I can't wait for that day to see what they choose to do. Would be cool if they did a fan club theatre show every once in a while. But unless Tubby McGuinness doesn't find a way to make $1BLN on those shows it isn't going to happen.

That was like 25 years ago... I believe the touring industry has changed just a bit between the Joshua tree tour and today. Just a hunch.

Of course touring has changed...but they never repeated anything like that since. (playing arenas first, then stadiums on Zoo TV and arenas in the States/stadiums in Europe on Vertigo isn't really the same. although it's possible the Vertigo tour format will be re-used). I'd expect arenas for a while now.

:shrug:

Anyway, 360 can be topped when the technology advances enough, and/or the Stones can nudge up the competitive side in U2 with a stadium tour of their own.

Of course touring has changed...but they never repeated anything like that since. (playing arenas first, then stadiums on Zoo TV and arenas in the States/stadiums in Europe on Vertigo isn't really the same. although it's possible the Vertigo tour format will be re-used). I'd expect arenas for a while now.

:shrug:

Anyway, 360 can be topped when the technology advances enough, and/or the Stones can nudge up the competitive side in U2 with a stadium tour of their own.

:up: U2 themselves also expressed that they did not enjoy switching back and forth between arena and stadium shows back in 87. Even on Vertigo when they went from arenas in N. America to stadiums in Europe they indicated it was a major adjustment for them. Took a few shows to get into the stadium show again. So I think that is why they most likely wont do a combo tour again. Although I think it is a great idea.

What I can see happening is starting in solely arenas in N. America next tour. Doing stadium shows in Europe. Coming back to N. America and doing a few more arena shows (3rd leg). Then playing abroad (IE S. America/Australia). THEN, if the album they are touring for is doing well and they are enjoying themselves, they might contemplate a stadium tour in the N. America (sort of like they were tentatively planning for Vertigo).

But I think arenas are what is going to happen, at least the first leg, the next time U2 hits the road. Looking forward to it, I prefer arena shows myself.

Has the next tour started yet?
Yes.

Re: the "arenas vs. stadiums" debate: I haven't actually seen U2 in an arena setting yet (360 being my first tour), so I'd like the next tour to be an arena tour if only for comparison's sake. Plus, weren't setlists slightly more flexible on Elevation/Vertigo?

Well, they did fail us in terms of "topping" when they did Popmart...and when they did Vertigo.

Us as in who? PopMart is nowhere near as bad as everyone rags on about. Its fucking brilliant tour when you think about it. Hmm, what was the let down for you about Vertigo?

Although I titled the thread "How will 360 be topped?", I should have said "How will the next tour be different and good?". I'd say 360 didn't top ZooTv, but also ZooTv didn't top 360. They were both very different and very good. Popmart was very different. Vertigo was additional legs of Elevation. :wink:

Wow, I could not disagree more with most of your post. Popmart was a great tour, as good as Zoo, it just did not have the commercial success because POP did not do that well. ZooTV while being a great tour was not this incredible moment of Zen people like to refer back to now. Vertigo was an improvement to Elevation, completely different vibe IMO and better than Elevation overall.

Us as in who? PopMart is nowhere near as bad as everyone rags on about. Its fucking brilliant tour when you think about it. Hmm, what was the let down for you about Vertigo?

I didn't say it was bad, I said it didn't top ZooTv, but I take that back anyway (see below comment). Vertigo was great too, just the same thing as Elevation, IMO.

Popmart technologically speaking WAS an advance over ZooTV.

You may not agree the tour was better, but they certainly did try to top it.

What they could do to be more technologically advanced than 360, I have no idea. But I'd love to see them try

You're right, when I wrote what I wrote, I was referring to the actual show, not the stage/screen set up, which is what this thread is about. In terms of stage/screens, ZooTv and Popmart are equally awesome and different.

Wow, I could not disagree more with most of your post. Popmart was a great tour, as good as Zoo, it just did not have the commercial success because POP did not do that well. ZooTV while being a great tour was not this incredible moment of Zen people like to refer back to now. Vertigo was an improvement to Elevation, completely different vibe IMO and better than Elevation overall.

I agree about ZooTv and Popmart (see above comment).

I completely disagree about Vertigo being an improvement to Elevation. They did have those LED screen curtains during City of Blinding Lights, but besides that I don't see any significant difference between the 2 setups.

I didn't say it was bad, I said it didn't top ZooTv, but I take that back anyway (see below comment). Vertigo was great too, just the same thing as Elevation, IMO.

You're right, when I wrote what I wrote, I was referring to the actual show, not the stage/screen set up, which is what this thread is about. In terms of stage/screens, ZooTv and Popmart are equally awesome and different.

Fair enough. The Vertigo stage was pretty much Elevation Part II in the arena setting, but I think the stadium setup was what the band was really hoping to use on that tour, but I think that had to do with the distractions going on behind the scenes.

Whatever happens, I'm looking forward to the next chapter of U2.

I can't see them doing a tour where they're continually switching between stadiums and arenas on the same leg, let alone in the same city, but the Stones on one tour were touring the MegaShow, and then in some cities, only a handful, were doing very low key, 'last minute' theater gigs on the side. Nothing special in terms of staging or production at all. Just the band on stage. No big deal for the crew. At all.

They could easily do it. Just pick a few major cities and do side show theater gigs. Shorter gigs, just 15 or so songs. Take the time in between each one to tool up on some long not played (or never played) songs, so there's some good rotation. It would be incredible. Even if you stand virtually no chance of getting tickets, it would be beyond great to have a whole collection of lesser-played stuff revisited. We had, what, four or five that would qualify as that on this tour? Imagine getting five or more every few weeks!

(Perhaps the best bit is that the way the ticketing worked, and the 'snap' announcing of these gigs, would almost certainly fuck over the list keeping, week long camping, front-row-center obsessives).

I agree about ZooTv and Popmart (see above comment).

I completely disagree about Vertigo being an improvement to Elevation. They did have those LED screen curtains during City of Blinding Lights, but besides that I don't see any significant difference between the 2 setups.

I agree about the stage, but I guess I was referring more to the setlist and show flow. Vertigo was way better than Elevation in that regard IMO.

The GA lines are getting more and more ridiculous every tour. I remember an early Elevation show, I showed up around 9am the day of the show and was like 16th in line. There wasn't really a list and people actually stayed in line until the show. If you had to go to the bathroom or something you let the people around you know and made it relatively quick.

Now people start lines 3-4 days ahead of time. There are lists to be on lists to be in line. People grab numbers, go home to sleep, take tours of the city, do whatever really instead of be in line, then show up later with their number to get back in line. For the people who know how to work the system this is good for them, but for the average person who doesn't know anything about the numbering systems, and lists to be in line and such, and just show up to get in line (like a normal person), well they get screwed.

Back
Top Bottom