How will 360 be topped?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That was Edge's daughter. Hardly related to the band members' health there.. plus Bono was on heavy medication during the EU leg of the Vertigo tour, also for his back. But they did not cancel the tour or delay it for that.

Maybe not the band member, but it sure affected the first leg of the tour.

Well...he could go by with *just* the medication on that tour. It deteriorated by the time of the next tour...and a slipped disc injury affects you. :shrug:

It affected the tour yes, but the point was that you stated they're getting older and thus health effects will start playing up. Yet this had NOTHING to do with that. It's Edge's daughter being sick. What does that have to do with an aging band?

And yeah, he survived with half a dozen of needles being stuck in his back every day for about a month or two. But I doubt that was very healthy. In a way the whole back thing happening as it did is good, because now he's finally gotten the rest his body needed.

It affected the tour yes, but the point was that you stated they're getting older and thus health effects will start playing up. Yet this had NOTHING to do with that. It's Edge's daughter being sick. What does that have to do with an aging band?

Exactly.

eta:

gay-top.jpg

Although, there are actually two mirrorballs, one above the band and one on the very top of the Claw which does create one of the coolest lighting effects I've ever seen during songs like WOWY & MOS.

It amazes me to read people's statements on Bono's health here as if they were part of his personal medical team. I think that's all pure speculation and most of all a very private issue.

And for the next tour I want arena shows again. There's no way to top the Claw and trying to top it would make the band look ridiculous, especially considering their age. The only way to "top" 360 is to scale down things, get intimate again, don't rely on technology and effects so much. However, knowing U2, I doubt that this will happen.

Who said anything about Hate? I don't mind the Arcade Fire, but the love they cop is a little like Radiohead over here, and I lost intrerest in them a good long time back now. They're a good band

So you recognize that your "EWWW I WOULD RATHER IT GO TO ANYONE EVEN INTERPOL WHO ARE BORING AND SUCK" post was reactionary and ridiculous, yes?

Seriously, the "passing the baton" thing can't work in an era when the playing field has never been more level and few if any bands stand out in any significant way, but if there is a band that merges on-stage passion with socially-conscious lyricism and a desire to create artful, coherent records the way U2 did in their early days, it's Arcade Fire.

This discussion is, of course, rendered moot by the fact that U2 isn't retiring any time soon, although I would wager that they will be laying off the stadiums for a while.

Seriously, the "passing the baton" thing can't work in an era when the playing field has never been more level and few if any bands stand out in any significant way, but if there is a band that merges on-stage passion with socially-conscious lyricism and a desire to create artful, coherent records the way U2 did in their early days, it's Arcade Fire.

Yep. They're the closest thing to ye olde U2 going. In a way, you could say that Coldplay could pull off an All That You Can't Leave Behind, and Muse could pull off a superficially spectacular 360 type stadium show, but Arcade Fire are the ones that are actually in the position to pull off a Joshua Tree. And you mention their artful/coherent records - they come with artful/coherent creative extensions, so I'd say they're the ones best poised to pull off a creatively all encompassing ZooTV type extension.

Before the peanut gallery jumps on that, that's not a direct comparison - Arcade Fire will likely never go as direct/wide appeal as U2 did during that period, and thus not as universally huge, but of all the bands mentioned in here, Arcade Fire are the ones who are right now, in many, many ways (but in their own way), sitting right about where U2 were circa UF. Watch what happens if Arcade Fire's next album is universally agreed upon as near perfect, and on top of that has just one or two songs that are just a bit more direct/wide appeal, and so to some degree truly cross over. And that's certainly not inconceivable, and they're certainly not a band without ambition.

Muse, Coldplay, Kings of Leon, Snow Patrol, Killers (or whoever else in that 'A' grade of size these days) have peaked or are peaking, and in terms of all of career arc, creativity and performance are all in varying ways only very, very, very, very, very, very superficially comparable to where U2 were at or headed. They're all pretenders, comparably. To make the comparisons, you're either missing the essence, or you're only looking at U2's career arc, creativity and performance in very, very, very superficial ways.

And for the next tour I want arena shows again. There's no way to top the Claw and trying to top it would make the band look ridiculous, especially considering their age. The only way to "top" 360 is to scale down things, get intimate again, don't rely on technology and effects so much. However, knowing U2, I doubt that this will happen.

If you live in N. America, I think you are going to get your wish with the arena thing. Everything that has been said officially and unofficially seems to be pointing back to arenas in 2013 for N. America at least. I think technology will still be used though. To what degree and what it will be is what remains to be seen.

If you live in N. America, I think you are going to get your wish with the arena thing. Everything that has been said officially and unofficially seems to be pointing back to arenas in 2013 for N. America at least. I think technology will still be used though. To what degree and what it will be is what remains to be seen.

I'll just be curious to see how many dates they play with arenas. I just can't see a tour schedule like Vertigo North America again.

I'll just be curious to see how many dates they play with arenas. I just can't see a tour schedule like Vertigo North America again.

My "guess" is something like the Elevation tour model, except the Euro shows will be stadium shows and they will probably tack on some stadium shows in S. America and Australia on the end. Most likely on the road for about a year from beginning to end.

It's really hard to think how U2 360 can be topped. In terms of production, I believe 360 beats ZooTv.

But most people will probably agree ZooTv was better because I think they are factoring in a younger, more energetic, riskier, and sexier band.

They can't top this tour stage. I for one would like to see them on a stage with 4 spots. Let's see if they can still make it work without all the bells and whistles. I know they can, the promo show for NLOTH at the Beacon Theater was amazing, I kill to be at a show like that.

Yep. They're the closest thing to ye olde U2 going. In a way, you could say that Coldplay could pull off an All That You Can't Leave Behind, and Muse could pull off a superficially spectacular 360 type stadium show, but Arcade Fire are the ones that are actually in the position to pull off a Joshua Tree. And you mention their artful/coherent records - they come with artful/coherent creative extensions, so I'd say they're the ones best poised to pull off a creatively all encompassing ZooTV type extension.

Before the peanut gallery jumps on that, that's not a direct comparison - Arcade Fire will likely never go as direct/wide appeal as U2 did during that period, and thus not as universally huge, but of all the bands mentioned in here, Arcade Fire are the ones who are right now, in many, many ways (but in their own way), sitting right about where U2 were circa UF. Watch what happens if Arcade Fire's next album is universally agreed upon as near perfect, and on top of that has just one or two songs that are just a bit more direct/wide appeal, and so to some degree truly cross over. And that's certainly not inconceivable, and they're certainly not a band without ambition.

Muse, Coldplay, Kings of Leon, Snow Patrol, Killers (or whoever else in that 'A' grade of size these days) have peaked or are peaking, and in terms of all of career arc, creativity and performance are all in varying ways only very, very, very, very, very, very superficially comparable to where U2 were at or headed. They're all pretenders, comparably. To make the comparisons, you're either missing the essence, or you're only looking at U2's career arc, creativity and performance in very, very, very superficial ways.

Well said Mr. Shavers, especially the last paragraph.

Last edited:
Dare I say....may it possibly be the last tour ever? I dunno. I think this Moncton gig might have a huge reveal. A symbolic passing of the instruments to Arcade Fire.....just like The Police did to U2 many years ago? I hope not. But after watching 6 shows on this leg, I'm starting to think the writing might be on the wall.

You're not the only one worried about this possibility

people.....people.........!!!

geeezzzz :der: they're only 50 for goodness sakes !

Bruce and E St did a smokin' tour in 2009 when he was........

gasp!!!!! :ohmy:

...... 60!

however for bono's pipe's sakes he should cut down on the drinkin' some

and hopefully larry can manage what ever arm/shoulder problems he sometimes has.....

Ads is much better health than when he was for decades

and haven't heard of any real problems for Edge (but then again hegets his medical treatments from the Future!) :wink:

and they have that Live Nation contract, too............

i did post be4 i saw your later posts U2bro!

selfishly .... i love goig back to arenas b/c

MSG is smack dab in the lower mid part of Mid_manhattan and
i can can take (relativly) cheep-o public transit AND
b/c it is where it is in a 24 hr transit city I can stay outside after the show and get to stand outside before the show if not doing GA. but i'll bee aiming for GA agin!

i c like that it could be mixing stadiums, arenas & theaters and even clubs ( oh god a club!!!! :ohmy: :hyper: near :faint: )

:hmm:
i think for club dates -- some could be "secret" in that they call themselves something else related to stuff hard-core fans would know !

It wouldn't top 360! But in my mind it would if they scaled way back and played smaller venues! Of course I also pretended that the inner pit at 360 was all the crowd that was there pretending it was a small show!:reject:

A bit of news from 2 weeks ago that went without much fanfare may at least give a hint as to what live nation may want...

Jim Dolan, president, C.E.O, and all around douchebag of Cablevision has joined Live Nation's board of directors. Cablevision, of course, owns Madison Square Garden, as well as many other smaller venues like the beacon, radio city, the Chicago theater, and many more.

Dolan once spent tens of millions of his own dollars to advertise against building a stadium on Manhattan's west side, effectively scuttling the NYC2012 Olympic bid, simply because he didn't want concert and event competition just down the road from MSG.

He's only one guy, but he has a ton of influence. So I'm guessing Live Nation will push for arenas.

Ultimately it's the band's call of course. But if the next U2 tour kicks off at Madison Square Garden, well, yea...

A bit of news from 2 weeks ago that went without much fanfare may at least give a hint as to what live nation may want...

Jim Dolan, president, C.E.O, and all around douchebag of Cablevision has joined Live Nation's board of directors. Cablevision, of course, owns Madison Square Garden, as well as many other smaller venues like the beacon, radio city, the Chicago theater, and many more.

Dolan once spent tens of millions of his own dollars to advertise against building a stadium on Manhattan's west side, effectively scuttling the NYC2012 Olympic bid, simply because he didn't want concert and event competition just down the road from MSG.

He's only one guy, but he has a ton of influence. So I'm guessing Live Nation will push for arenas.

Ultimately it's the band's call of course. But if the next U2 tour kicks off at Madison Square Garden, well, yea...

The show would be preceded by 2 hours of JD and the Straight Shot.

Please please please do not get me started here.

What if they do a ZOOTV type of stage setup, make it bigger, and add in a circular pit? ZOOTV was known for its 36 video screens, but when I watch the concert DVD, it seems like only 5 or 6 of those screens were significant in size, I don't even notice any other ones. I never went to ZOOTV, so can someone who went kindly clarify? Were all those tiny screens that were on random parts of the stage counted towards the 36?

I was thinking thinking they do something with many different large screens, making for a huge backdrop that would be perhaps larger than the Popmart backdrop. An Elevation/Vertigo/360 type circular stage can be added making the setup a combination of ZOOTV, Popmart and the later era circular stage & pit. Of course, the 360 concept would be killed with this.

Or, maybe they can hang the screens from the 360 claws, which seems silly, but the stage was built to hold twice the mass of the circular screen that is currently being used. Although, I doubt they will ever use the claw again since it would seem lame.

This came to mind last night when I was falling asleep. What do you all think? :)

Back
Top Bottom