How will 360 be topped?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But yeah, I doubt they'll try to top 360, it'll be either similar or downscaled. But PLEASE continue to play stadiums, at least in Europe. I don't want to have arena's here, they're WAY too frickin' small so it'd be a horror getting tickets.

I always just assume when they say "arenas," they still mean stadiums in anywhere that isn't US or Canada because logistically, it's the only option.

Anytime you have a band that's getting up there in age, you can never be completely sure if it's the last tour or not. We already came very close to the end with bono's back surgery. Just take it all in, savor the moment, and hope for a few more.

:up:

That is just absurd.

I'm not even asking you to agree. But believe you me, there are many who also have a deep sinking feeling that there will be some sort of "Dream it up all again speech" in Moncton.

Studio albums yes.....but tours? I dunno.

I hope you are wrong! However, that is part of the reason I saw so many this time, just in case!

I'm not even asking you to agree. But believe you me, there are many who also have a deep sinking feeling that there will be some sort of "Dream it up all again speech" in Moncton.

Studio albums yes.....but tours? I dunno.

Then trust me on this one Brother, don't start feeling down just yet. :)

Guys, there will definitely be another tour. This is the interview with Adam and Edge in case some of you haven't seen, where Adam predicts there will be a debate of stadium vs. arena.

Exclusive: The Edge and Adam Clayton Reveal U2's Future Plans | Rolling Stone Music

"You have the same set of questions: "Do you want to play in a stadium?" "No, we don't want to play in a stadium." "Do you want to play in an arena?" "Yeah, we like playing in arenas." "But if you play in arenas, it will take you this long to get around the world, if you play in stadiums, you can do it over a couple of summers," and the debate will start."

"Obviously, when we release the record, we'll do a tour."

"I don't think we'd want to do another stadium tour, but I don't know. If the record caught fire in a certain way, then we would. So we have to work these things out. I do like arena tours – they're much, much easier."

Hi everyone, I was recently at the Montreal show and like many of you, I was euphoric afterwards for 2 days. It was absolutely amazing, not only because of the bands performance, but because of the phenomenal stage design/screen/lights.

Now I can't help but wonder:

1) How will 360 be topped (by U2 or anyone else), or will it even be topped?
2) Will U2 even try to top it, or will they do the stripped down Elevation type shows for the rest of their career to take a safer route?
3) If/when they play stadiums, will 360 viewing be standard, or will they resort back to the norm of not selling seats behind the stage?

Obviously there are no hard answers on this, even U2 doesn't know. But I want to see what fellow U2 fans think about this. Prior to seeing the 360 tour, in my mind I always thought that intimate shows in arenas > giant stadium shows, and was even disappointed when they announced a stadium tour. But all of that has changed now, and I feel that 360 was even better than Elevation/Vertigo.

I can't imagine in my mind how they would be able to top "the Claw", but then again, I never imagined that happening to ZOOTV.

Now this is silly, but what about other bands? Will the Rolling Stones, Green Day, or anyone else even attempt at doing something as spectacular? IMO 360 blew the Stones' Bigger Bang tour out of the water, and given that the Stones are the only other band besides U2 who spend so much time and money on stage design, I'm curious to see how their next tour will be (it is rumored to happen next year), although I'm not expecting much.

1) It will be, once the technology advances. I read an interview somewhere that the claw can actually support twice the weight of the current setup so...
2) Not for a while, they will stick to arenas. But eventually they will return to stadiums. If not sooner the big mega final goodbye tour.
3) We'll see. Very few bands can do this type of huge stadium worldwide tours. The Stones might very well use 360 viewing.

The stones will attempt to top 360... That I'd say is a given.

What's not a given is that u2 will ever tour again. I certainly imagine they will, many more times over. But these are guys who are getting up there in age. You never know... doesn't have to be something tragic, like the death of clarence clemons... it can simply be health related, like a further injury to bono's back. I can't see u2 being the type of band to carry on without all four members being there like the who out the stones have done.

Don't take these moments for granted and just assume they'll be back in a few years time.

I can't wait for wednesday night...

I have been hearing the U2 are retiring rumor before every album and at the end of every tour since 1989. They have at least another 10 years before it even becomes a possibility IMO.

I remember people saying there is no way they will top Zoo TV in 1993. So they will come up with something, it will be different.

My "guess" is back to arenas in N. America and summer stadium shows in Europe. The 3D hologram has been something Willie has been trying to work out since 1997. I do not think the stage will be anything of the scale of the claw, but it will have something unique and some type of new theme. U2 scaled back after Zoo and Popmart and I thought Elevation and Vertigo were great tours. Its U2 live, that in itself cannot be topped and doesn't need to be. :)

I always just assume when they say "arenas," they still mean stadiums in anywhere that isn't US or Canada because logistically, it's the only option.

Yes, as exciting as the idea sounds... how the fuck would they do it? Aside from doing like five, six shows in the same city each time. I mean they couldn't really promote it as a "rarities" tour could they? That'd be commercial suicide...

I have been hearing the U2 are retiring rumor before every album and at the end of every tour since 1989. They have at least another 10 years before it even becomes a possibility IMO.

I remember people saying there is no way they will top Zoo TV in 1993. So they will come up with something, it will be different.

My "guess" is back to arenas in N. America and summer stadium shows in Europe. The 3D hologram has been something Willie has been trying to work out since 1997. I do not think the stage will be anything of the scale of the claw, but it will have something unique and some type of new theme. U2 scaled back after Zoo and Popmart and I thought Elevation and Vertigo were great tours. Its U2 live, that in itself cannot be topped and doesn't need to be. :)

:up:, :up:, and :up:

I don't foresee the tours ending any time soon, save a major illness or another injury.

As for topping 360... The Claw is impressive, but is perhaps a little underutilized in terms of lighting effects. Despite the amazing technology that has gone into The Claw, I don't really see this stage design & function as topping ZooTV. The Claw is bigger, the lighting of the stage is better, and the screen is crystal clear, but the ZooTV design was more impressive when tied together with the tour itself. So, in my mind, 360 has already been "topped" when it comes to stage setup.

But as Blue Room indicates, topping the stage design isn't what matters. It's the live performance that counts. Elevation, for all its lack of bells & whistles, provided some phenomenal shows. Every tour has. So again, barring poor health of any of the band members, we should be in store for great tours with whatever may come.

I don't foresee a retirement our breakup any time soon...

But to just assume that the regular tour schedule will continue is a little short sided when you consider a) their age, b) each of the last two tours has experienced lengthy delays.

I expect to see many more u2 concerts in the years to come... but I also know that nothing after wednesday's show if a given, so I plan to take it all in, just in case.

I do think there will be a change in how they schedule the tours going forward. Can't have back to back delayed tours and have it not at the very least effect your thought process.

Has there been any talk of U2 reusing the CLAWs? They seem to be such a great basic structures; there are so many ways they could change what they bolt-on and have a different screen set-up. I'd like to see it done.

I'd much prefer stadiums again. I'd also like to see that if they were to reuse the CLAWs, that they put them in the center of the field and really try a 360 type thing.

That said, I agree with Headache, see them while you can and enjoy it. I had an old U2 friend e-mail me before the 360 Tour started. Her medical condition had deteriorated enough that she couldn't go to shows anymore. All she could say was that she's glad she saw as many as she could when she could and that she made as many U2 friends as she had.

Why the hate for Arcade Fire? Even if you don't like their music, they are AMAZING live and their presence will elevate(sorry) U2's performance.

Who said anything about Hate? I don't mind the Arcade Fire, but the love they cop is a little like Radiohead over here, and I lost intrerest in them a good long time back now. They're a good band, but the whole "passing the baton on thing" c'mon, there isn't another U2, Stones, Springsteen, significant other "golden oldie". Music is so disposable these days, we'll just wait for Lady Gaga to release a new song every 2 months.

bono_man2002 said:
Who said anything about Hate? I don't mind the Arcade Fire, but the love they cop is a little like Radiohead over here, and I lost intrerest in them a good long time back now. They're a good band, but the whole "passing the baton on thing" c'mon, there isn't another U2, Stones, Springsteen, significant other "golden oldie".

Too true. And their latest album is perhaps their least interesting, and certainly the least deserving of a Grammy of all else they have. I got bored before I got halfway through. :shifty: I like them and all, but Arcade Fire aren't even close to the same calibre or class of music as U2, so it really is silly to think of U2 passing the baton to them. Arcade Fire are an art house version of Rusted Root (whom I happen to guiltily like). Imagine the Police passing the torch to Rusted Root, and there's a better analogy. There, I said it. :lol:

I agree this "passing the baton" idea is ridiculous, and I personally think they're overrated - I just don't get "it" - but plenty of people like them here and with very good reason!

I don't foresee a retirement our breakup any time soon...

But to just assume that the regular tour schedule will continue is a little short sided when you consider a) their age, b) each of the last two tours has experienced lengthy delays.

I expect to see many more u2 concerts in the years to come... but I also know that nothing after wednesday's show if a given, so I plan to take it all in, just in case.

I do think there will be a change in how they schedule the tours going forward. Can't have back to back delayed tours and have it not at the very least effect your thought process.

I understand what you are saying. Nothing is ever a given. But the fact that recently Adam and Edge have discussed what they are thinking about for the next tour leads me to believe they will indeed tour again and are planning to. Also, they had lengthly delays in one of the last two tours. Only one was due to a band members health and he was back for the very next leg. 360 basically was extended 3 months from its original planned end. Vertigo was a completely different story obviously with completely different circumstances that caused a substantial delay.

My "guess" is that the next tour will follow the Elevation tour model. With the difference being the Euro shows will be stadium shows and they will probably extend it to hit S. America and maybe Australia. So about a year on the road. I do not think it will happen for 3 years though. Then they probably have one more major tour after that. Then I think the road retirement talk could be legit. Who knows though, as long as they are feeling good and enjoying what they are doing they will continue to do it as long as they can IMO.

I doubt they will just go and make albums and not tour as was mentioned earlier. They do not need the money but lets face it, it is a factor. Bands make money touring now, not selling albums.

The 360 tour was very good, but they hit a setlist lull IMO in 2010. Vertigo and Elevation had better setlists overall IMO. The stage was impressive and the shows were very good. But I do not think it was U2's greatest tour. It was one of their great tours along with many others.

cobl04 said:
I agree this "passing the baton" idea is ridiculous, and I personally think they're overrated - I just don't get "it" - but plenty of people like them here and with very good reason!

Oh, I know. My post was probably a bit more disparaging than it needed to be, but partially in jest.

Random story.... I hung out with a pair of Spanish fans in the GA line and on the rail at Philly. they were talking about their distaste for AF and said, "They are a bunch of....eh, what's the word....farmers!" I had to laugh :lol:

I don't think Arcade Fire is big enough in Europe to receive U2's baton.. it'd likelier be Muse or Snow Patrol or something that's at least known on both continents.

I sincerely hope the "baton" is not "passed" to a band that wrote that twilight song, which is more offensive than the entire franchise itself :wink:

Guys, there will definitely be another tour. This is the interview with Adam and Edge in case some of you haven't seen, where Adam predicts there will be a debate of stadium vs. arena.

Exclusive: The Edge and Adam Clayton Reveal U2's Future Plans | Rolling Stone Music

"You have the same set of questions: "Do you want to play in a stadium?" "No, we don't want to play in a stadium." "Do you want to play in an arena?" "Yeah, we like playing in arenas." "But if you play in arenas, it will take you this long to get around the world, if you play in stadiums, you can do it over a couple of summers," and the debate will start."

"Obviously, when we release the record, we'll do a tour."

"I don't think we'd want to do another stadium tour, but I don't know. If the record caught fire in a certain way, then we would. So we have to work these things out. I do like arena tours – they're much, much easier."

Just my 2 cents but I really hope they go back to arenas. To me, baseball or football stadiums seem so distanced from the band. I've seen them in both stadium and arena settings and prefer arenas. Even if you have to get a seat at least in an arena they are not the size of ants on the stage.

I take back what I said. A reliable source told me that spring 2013 will be the next U2 tour....arenas in North America.

Back
Top Bottom