How to handle spouse that DETESTS U2!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're killing me Rose!!!:banghead::banghead::censored::censored:

She has started reading the Me & U2 book but I'm not bringing ir up to keep the peace.
My problem is that I would: Fly home from Chicago thrudsay night, Leave early friday for Tampa, come back sunday morning then fly out sunday night. Not exactly quality time and no the wife absolutely will not go.
Enjoy the gig please and if the gods have ordained that I be at Tampa or not at Tampa for the gig, I'm at peace with it.:crack: No Really...:crack::crack::crack:

Yeah, that's understandable. :)

Although you could fly into Tampa Thursday night, and then head to Miami early Saturday and have all day Saturday and Sunday at home. :mac:

:lol: Just saying.

I'm actually driving from Tampa to Miami on Saturday morning and spending the weekend with my parents.

Last edited:
You're killing me Rose!!!:banghead::censored::

She has started reading the Me & U2 book but I'm not bringing ir up to keep the peace.
My problem is that I would: Fly home from Chicago thrudsay night, Leave early friday for Tampa, come back sunday morning then fly out sunday night. Not exactly quality time and no the wife absolutely will not go.
Enjoy the gig please and if the gods have ordained that I be at Tampa or not at Tampa for the gig, I'm at peace with it.:crack: No Really...:crack::crack::crack:

Yeah, that's understandable.

Although you could fly into Tampa Thursday night, and then head to Miami early Saturday and have all day Saturday and Sunday at home. :mac:

I'm actually driving from Tampa to Miami on Saturday morning and spending the weekend with my parents.

It all sounds so simple eh????:madwife::combust::gah:

You're not trying hard enough.

On Saturday morning for $123 you can fly out of TPA at 8:05 am and be in MIA for 9:15 AM.

Or drop $275 and get on the 6:45 am. You'll be back in bed in Miami before she wakes up.

Alternatively, Southwest TPA to FLL at 7:55 am is $101.

:mac:

:wink:

Anybody found a way to STOP loving U2? Any U2 song that if played over and over could be like detoxing???? The antidote for loving U2??? :help::crazy: ;)

If I were forced to listen to A Man and A Woman over and over again for a day or two, it could possibly end my 5 years and counting love affair with U2.

don't give the man any "plans" to sneak out on the wife
that's worse

just let it chill for a few days... I know everything will be ok :hug:

Yeah, that's understandable. :)

Well after telling my uncle I can't make it, I'm now going to the wedding in Belgium so no Tampa gig for me.:sad:.

My wife felt bad for my uncle as other relatives from the UK won't be making it so I'm now going. My wife agreed and doesn't mind me even spending the next weekend up in Chicago to make up time for work!! Couldn't possibly be a way to keep me from worming my way into going to Tampa now could it?:hmm::hmm:

Explain to her that U2's songs are the only ones out there that can ALMOST capture the feeling of immense love that you feel for her, maybe? :hmm:

Hey it's worth a shot! Good luck man.

Overall from what I can see you seem to be pretty well off, so I think there is a few issues here.

1. It appears to the naked eye that your wife likes to be pampered, she likes going on these trips with you but wants it all to be about her.

2. She seems to like a routine....anything that breaks that routine is not going to be liked. This is very common among people that have no interests to speak of. If they are going to be bored with life they expect you to be bored as well.

I dont anticipate reading any type of book or U2 material will cause things to improve. Hopefully you can work something out but I can say that if somebody told me what my interest could and couldnt be in life they would be invited to leave. I know its different being married but really I dont think this is about U2.

She needs to find some hobbies of her own and let you enjoy your hobbies.

For a certain price, I can direct you to some people that could properly resolve the problem, if you know what I mean.

guys, just taking a shot in the dark here. I am like a lot of U2 fans in that my love for them is all consuming. I don't know what your relationships are like obviously, but I would venture that your spouses don't really hate U2 but hate you loving U2. Am I making sense here? I have experienced the same thing with my loved ones. If you really want to go the show, you have to pretend that U2 doesn't exist when you are around her until your show which is still a good way off. This is especially relevant if you, like me, tend to talk a lot about U2 especially during tour time. And maybe she doesn't like you spending so much time gazing into the blue screen. :wink:

Act like U2 doesn't matter. Remember, by doing that you are driving U2 from her mind as well, which is very important. IF you aren't like me (the constant yapping about U2 and their shows and their songs and their albums), ignore this post. :crack:

guys, just taking a shot in the dark here. I am like a lot of U2 fans in that my love for them is all consuming. I don't know what your relationships are like obviously, but I would venture that your spouses don't really hate U2 but hate you loving U2. Am I making sense here? I have experienced the same thing with my loved ones. If you really want to go the show, you have to pretend that U2 doesn't exist when you are around her until your show which is still a good way off. This is especially relevant if you, like me, tend to talk a lot about U2 especially during tour time. And maybe she doesn't like you spending so much time gazing into the blue screen. :wink:

Act like U2 doesn't matter. Remember, by doing that you are driving U2 from her mind as well, which is very important. IF you aren't like me (the constant yapping about U2 and their shows and their songs and their albums), ignore this post. :crack:

Well i'm definitely putting it on the backburner but not before I HAVE to tell her that I'm going to the Seville and Portugal shows. I didn't buy the tickets on purpose yet and will get them later but I want to book the flights using airmiles and need to go about doing it now so I have to bring it up.

You see, boooking it and THEN explaining it afterwards is part of the problem

She already said "Chicago and Miami will be enough right????" :angel::angel:

Well i'm definitely putting it on the backburner but not before I HAVE to tell her that I'm going to the Seville and Portugal shows. I didn't buy the tickets on purpose yet and will get them later but I want to book the flights using airmiles and need to go about doing it now so I have to bring it up.

I don't know. Do you limit her to two of anything? Try saying two pairs of shoes per shopping trip is enough and see how well that goes over!

I know i don't know you, but reading this it really sounds like she is trying to control you, and not in a good way.

good luck to you

You are really pushing it. There is no way my husband would allow me to travel to anpther country to see concerts if there were concerts near my home town. My hubbie thinks one concert is more than enough. Unfortunately they don't see things they way we do. I know exactly how you feel plucking up the courage to ask her. If you plan to go you will just have to put up with her being totally pissed off. I agree with the other poster though that once these concert are booked don't mention U2 or play their music while she is around as it will make things worse.

Good luck with telling her about these other shows you plan to see.

In situations like this I am actually happy to be single! No one to ask if I CAN go to a U2 concert! Ofcourse I CAN I am my own person and have the right to choose to go to a concert if I so choose to :)

If I were forced to listen to A Man and A Woman over and over again for a day or two, it could possibly end my 5 years and counting love affair with U2.

Ha Ha! I am new to these boards, although i've scanned them for a long time, but couldn't resist responding to this! A Man and a Woman is my most detested U2 song, too... ugh! (there are some others that are up there with it, but it definitely is the one that I forward through the quickest!)

I am not dealing with a spouse who detests U2, but a husband who doesn't put seeing multiple U2 shows on the same tour (and waiting in a GA line) up as high in the priority list as I do. We both made it into the inner circle in DC, and that was good enough for him (and yes, he has been a U2 fan for 25+ years, with all the albums first and then cds- including albums like Wide Awake in America). So, I just took my kids with me to Raleigh to see the show with some college friends in $30 seats, and now I have 2 GAs for Philly and 2 for NY-- we'll see who goes with me (my friends don't quite "get it" either...) I'm ok going alone if need be! (Went to the Obama inauguration concert in front of the Lincoln Memorial alone, and can do this, too...) :shrug:

sorry to drag this up after not posting for a long while but I'm just on my way back from 2 incredible shows at Coimbra Portugal and yes my wife was pissed I came but after the US tour being posponed, feckit I had to come.
The crowd at Coimbra were one of the best crowds I have ever seen with a fantastic atmosphere, on a par with any Dublin or even Cardiff (im welsh!!) crowd. To be there for the premiere of Boy Falls from the sky (which is a great, great song) was a massive bonus Thanks you guys for a truly memorable experience!!!
For Coimbra 1 I got in the pit 25 ft in front of Edge and had the pleasure of Edge's solo just above me for UTEOTW and Bono for Miss Sarajevo, as the bridge is slowly moving away with the light behind him creating a silhouette effect , an experience I will always treasure! The crowds enthusiasm which Bono lives off made the band play fantastic. 'I Will Follow' coming back with much more power and energy was a blast.
For Coimbra 2 I was about 25 yrds behind the pit in front of Edge but the sound was much clearer than Coimbra 1. I really appreciated Stingray (I didn't hear it before these shows to make it more special) and it gets the crowd really psyched much more than Breathe ever did!
For Magnificent, Bono appeared to have a coughing fit and not his back from what I saw. Phil his guitar tech was trying to help him and he drank about 2 bottles of water i think to clear his throat. Ever the showman, he kept trying in obvious pain but he wouldn't give up!!!
As much as I miss some of NLOTH songs especially unknown Caller, you cannot deny these fantastics fans at Coimbra the chance to sing along to seminal songs like ISHFWILF and PRIDE and being my first and probably only 2 shows this year, were STILL incredible for me also, band and audience interaction.

I have tickets for Sydney and discussed it with the wife (no meat cleavers yet!) but she cant spare the time to go, so now I have to see how I can justify it (she doesnt know I got the tickets yet!) . After these 2 blazing shows, I need my crack!!! Don't think I need to explain that to any of you guys :hyper:

so... what's going to happen now?

Well....I will try again and move mountains and get my wife to either agree to come with me or see if I can (without divorce!) make it over there without her.

She's coming with me to see Spiderman in November so If i can get her to love 'Boy Falls from the Sky' as much as I do, I might just be able to persuade her!! :madwife::bono::larry::adam::edge::love::crazy::happydance::loveshower:
(yeah!Right!then I woke up!!!:shrug:)

:lol: Mellow Moog. Glad you had a great time. YOu saw Boy Falls From The Sky. :drool::jealous: If you can afford it maybe offer to take your wife somewhere/to something she has really wanted to go to/see. Good luck with Sydney. :)

I was lucky although my ex boyfriend didn't share my obsession with U2 he was always happy to let me go see them. Even drove me to the airport/train station if he could and picked me up. :shifty::lol:

:lol: Mellow Moog. Glad you had a great time. YOu saw Boy Falls From The Sky. :drool::jealous: If you can afford it maybe offer to take your wife somewhere/to something she has really wanted to go to/see. Good luck with Sydney. :)

I was lucky although my ex boyfriend didn't share my obsession with U2 he was always happy to let me go see them. Even drove me to the airport/train station if he could and picked me up. :shifty::lol:

Seeing 'Boy Falls from the sky' was brilliant. I close my eyes and I'm back there!!!:yes::shocked::cheer:

I have offered to take my wife anywhere on this planet, seriously!!! We're going FIRST class to the UK in May (god bless airmiles) to see my family but she's more worried about not having enough vacation time for visiting relatives who come to us!!!

Someimtes I wish opposites didn't attract:doh::shrug:

Back
Top Bottom