How should I hold a banner/sign in the Inner Circle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hand0lotion

War Child
Hiya,

I plan to make a sign for Adam for the Chicago 2011 show. GA veterans, please tell me about signages in the inner circle.

-Is Chicago expected to be really popular and packed? (ie: should I not bother that my sign will me seen by Adam?)
-Are signs only visible to the band if you're on the rail (right in front of them)? Another rail benefit is that you can drape your sign over the rail while you jump and clap
-Is it possible to hold my sign up and not block GA'ers behind me? For instance, instead of holding it straigh up in front of me, I could use it like a "rain shield" and incline in over my head (so Adam can read it from his raised position)

Basically, my sentiment now is: either camp out super early to guarantee an inner rail spot, or don't bother with making a sign at all.

Sign tips I picked up:
-Use Fabric. It's foldable so it's easier to transport, etc.
-Don't make the sign too big so it's not too tiring to hold
-Go for legibility and clarity so it's readible within 2 seconds

Unless you're on the rail, don't hold up any signs for too long. It blocks the view of the people around you. Maybe hold it up for a couple of seconds during the first song, then put it away.

If you're on the rail, hold it at eye level for a couple of seconds at the start, then maybe attach it to the rail, if security allows it.

People holding up signs, umbrellas, cameras or girlfriends on shoulders for too long become unpopular after awhile :wink:

listen to that man, he's been to more shows than Bono

Hey, Nick, I saw you in the megaphotos of Salt Lake City and Denver. Front and center, where else? :lol:

There was a Chilean flag on the SLC show :D

Unless you're on the rail, don't hold up any signs for too long. It blocks the view of the people around you. Maybe hold it up for a couple of seconds during the first song, then put it away.

If you're on the rail, hold it at eye level for a couple of seconds at the start, then maybe attach it to the rail, if security allows it.

People holding up signs, umbrellas, cameras or girlfriends on shoulders for too long become unpopular after awhile :wink:

Spot on. It's really nasty and selfish to hold a big ass sign over your head the whole time, blocking lots of people's view. So just try to get a railspot and hold it lower.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Hmm, maybe it is more appropriate to say that 4U2play has been to more shows than Adam? That would imply he's been to every single show :lol:

I shall not make a sign then. It is too much time (ballpark: 2 hours of painting + 1 hour of materials hunting), money (ballpark: $30 for farbic paints and cloth) and effort (lugging it thru the GA line and protecting it) for just a few seconds of flashing. I also don't wanna be that GA jerk, it's hard to wave your sign in the pit, cos everyone's the standing at the same level.

I'm sure there're other ways to get Adam's smile. Maybe by being silly...:wink:

You wanna make Adam smile?

It's fairy easy, depending on your gender. :wink: If you're female, jump a couple of times up and down and he'll smile, but not at your face.

:doh::hyper: oh my goodness, Galeongirl! Well, that certainly put some of the rumors floating around youtube (about Adam) to rest!

Yeah, I am female. I made a shirt for Adam that I wear to U2 shows, actually. Too bad it ain't plunging or endowing...

Rumours? What rumours?

It's rather obvious Adam enjoys the female body. :wink: As one of his t-shirts once said, he likes to watch.

:doh::hyper: oh my goodness, Galeongirl! Well, that certainly put some of the rumors floating around youtube (about Adam) to rest!

Yeah, I am female. I made a shirt for Adam that I wear to U2 shows, actually. Too bad it ain't plunging or endowing...

all you have to do is flash 'em and you will get Adam's attention :up:

you want an assignment, you flash all the members of the band the idea is to see who misses their note. your prize the satisfaction of saying you made a band member miss a note.
Special bonus for flashing Rocco or dallas.

Who is Rocco? I only know Dalla, Stuart and Sam (the drum tech). Is Rocco the dallas lookalike who is Bono's tech? *snicker, an oxymoron*

Sheesh, you guys. This started out as an informative thread about banners! In U2 concert footages and stuff, they look like a great way to get the band's attention, but who knew in reality in the inner circle, they are so much of a hassle and crowd-displeaser? :(

If you have grommets in your sign, the ultimate thing to hang it on the rail is pipecleaners. ;)

However, I found that hanging it over the rail didn't get mine noticed as much as just pulling it out and holding it just at chest level when the appropriate lad walks by on the catwalk, they notice it more when you're waving it, no need to lift it up high at your head and piss the fans off behind you, they can see it down there.

PS - Rocco is the stage manager. Phil is Bono's tech's name.

^thanks EdgeFest! So you agree with the consensus that one needs a rail spot for the boys to see your sign?

What was the reaction your lad (hehe! I'm guessing The Edge) when he saw you and your sign? Stories of inspiration, please! :hyper:

Who is Rocco? I only know Dalla, Stuart and Sam (the drum tech). Is Rocco the dallas lookalike who is Bono's tech? *snicker, an oxymoron*

Sheesh, you guys. This started out as an informative thread about banners! In U2 concert footages and stuff, they look like a great way to get the band's attention, but who knew in reality in the inner circle, they are so much of a hassle and crowd-displeaser? :(

Rocko Reedy is the stage manager, who also has his own band. :) Cool guy, usually wearing huge headphones and shorts.
4009622057_17c30d7102.jpg

Phil Docherty is Bono's guitar tech :)
Phil_Docherty_Bono_Guitar_Technician.JPG

But that's ofcourse all irrelevant if you know Dallas. :tongue: he's god.

I am a proponent of fabric signs. Easy to carry (folded in your pocket), easy to smuggle ("what sign? it's my handkerchief"), and, it doesn't block the view of people behind you that much. Of course, don't have it up throughout the entire show. I usually get my sign out, and after it catches Bono's/Edge's/Adam's attention, I put it away. If I get rail, I put my sign on the rail, so it doesn't block anybody. Plus fabric signs are easy to store (put them back in your pocket).

Yes, my sign is actually a flag 2'x3' so relatively small. I hung it over the railing in Winnipeg but Edge only ran by twice (I was in Adam's Red Zone). I had it again in Edgemonton and I was in Edge's Red Zone, my husband thinks Edge saw it but I'm not so sure. I'm going to try another couple of times this year to get a real smile out of him, but I didn't block anyone's view in the attempt ;)

Back
Top Bottom