Holding a place in the GA line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I might hire one of those guys that monopolize the box office line to be my GA placeholder person.

I'll even make him a sign to wear... "GA Placeholder" so there will be no confusion.

:lol: that would be priceless--but those guys have what I call "marginal hygiene," and probably folks around them would complain...and if they leave to shower all hell could break loose :wink:

My personal feeling on line jumpers is that if I see it happening in front of me, they will know very quickly to get their asses in the back of the line. The venue is holding an event with general admission for anyone, meaning first come, first served. Who the hell are these uber-U2 fans who get there first, and then take it upon themselves to issue numbers and decide who is in line where? YOU AREN'T RUNNING THE EVENT AND YOU'RE NOT GOING TO LET YOUR BUDDIES IN FRONT OF PEOPLE WHO PAID AND LEGITIMATELY WAITED IN LINE.

If I get in line at 6 a.m. in the morning, anyone who is not in front of me shouldn't walk into the stadium in front of me when the gates open at 5 p.m. PERIOD. Now it's one thing if someone in front of me who was there BEFORE ME and has waited in line all day wants to leave to take a leak or grab something to eat, b/c that's something everyone usually lets everyone else do. However, if one asshole gets in line at 8 a.m., and then at 4 p.m. one of his buddies who was never in line rolls up and just jumps in b/c the line nazi's say he is number 23 in their little notebook, I'll be getting security very quickly. I called people on it in Pittsburgh during Vertigo. I'll do it again.

I will be at the Sept. 25th NY show, in line early, believe me I will call you on it.

I saw Springsteen in San Jose last week and was in the pit.

The system they used was great and fair and didnt reward just those who lined up at 6am.

They gave out sequentially numbered wristbands from 2:30pm - 5.15pm to as many GA holders as showed up. It ended up being about 975 bands handed out that day.

Once you got your band, you were free to leave.

At 5.15pm, someone from the band tour team picked a random number between 1 and 975 out of a hat. The number picked was 901.

They said that there would be 350 people let into the heart (I mean the pit).

So #s 901 to 975 and 1 to 275 were let in. I was number 200, so I was in luck.

Everyone with a winning band then lined up in order 901 to 975 and 1 to 275 and was banded with a second pit wrist band.

The arena doors opened at 6:30 pm or so and it was a mad dash to the pit but there ended up being lots of space in the pit - which could have easily fit 750 ppl but it was great that it wasnt packed. I was 2 deep on the rail in front of Clarence. Awesome way to see my first Springsteen concert, by the way.

Would this system work for U2? Did they use this on the last tour?

Sorry if this system has been mentioned before.

Springsteen's system does seem to be the most random. If U2 really wanted it to be random they would use it. The problem is it takes a bit of work for their people to organize the whole thing.

I was at the Austin show on Sunday, I was # 279, #146 was picked, I was on the rail in front of Clarence right on that side stage. They lined everyone up single file and checked the numbers again as they let people in. They couldn't have made it anymore organized.

No U2 did not use this system last tour.

Yes. The rail is awful. I advise everyone to stay far, far away. :D

hehe i knew someone would say that! :D

i don't think i'm a rail kind of girl though - i need my space to move and just get cranky when i'm squished haha

I think U2's "people" should be willing to do the work it takes to do it like Bruce does. He started that because he was sick of seeing the same faces all the time, just like they allegedly were/are. Their system still didn't prevent that-due to the cheating of some people and other factors. I'm not in favor of cheating or holding spots. I'm not going to camp out or do anything of the sort-I end up where i end up and that's good enough for me.

I saw Springsteen in San Jose last week and was in the pit.

The system they used was great and fair and didnt reward just those who lined up at 6am.

They gave out sequentially numbered wristbands from 2:30pm - 5.15pm to as many GA holders as showed up. It ended up being about 975 bands handed out that day.

Once you got your band, you were free to leave.

At 5.15pm, someone from the band tour team picked a random number between 1 and 975 out of a hat. The number picked was 901.

They said that there would be 350 people let into the heart (I mean the pit).

So #s 901 to 975 and 1 to 275 were let in. I was number 200, so I was in luck.

Everyone with a winning band then lined up in order 901 to 975 and 1 to 275 and was banded with a second pit wrist band.

The arena doors opened at 6:30 pm or so and it was a mad dash to the pit but there ended up being lots of space in the pit - which could have easily fit 750 ppl but it was great that it wasnt packed. I was 2 deep on the rail in front of Clarence. Awesome way to see my first Springsteen concert, by the way.

Would this system work for U2? Did they use this on the last tour?

Sorry if this system has been mentioned before.

Fair would be a relative term. :cute: If I want to line up, why should I then have to go through a lottery? I hate this system, its used for buying tix too!

Fair would be a relative term. :cute: If I want to line up, why should I then have to go through a lottery? I hate this system, its used for buying tix too!
It depends on the act. If you're Fall Out Boy or My Chemical Romance, your average fan is something like 17 years old. Having those fans take the day off and sit out in front of a venue for hours to "earn" a spot on the rail shows that you reward dedication. If you're Springsteen, your average fan is over 40 and has a job and a spouse and kids, and doesn't want to sit on the sidewalk all day. Bruce is just trying to give the working stiff a fair shot at the rail.

Now the obvious question is: is U2 more like Springsteen or Fall Out Boy? At a top price of $250 per ticket, they're a hell of a lot closer to Bruce nowadays -- it's not 1987 anymore.

:wave:text change for cori! :wave:

It depends on the act. If you're Fall Out Boy or My Chemical Romance, your average fan is something like 17 years old. Having those fans take the day off and sit out in front of a venue for hours to "earn" a spot on the rail shows that you reward dedication. If you're Springsteen, your average fan is over 40 and has a job and a spouse and kids, and doesn't want to sit on the sidewalk all day. Bruce is just trying to give the working stiff a fair shot at the rail.

Now the obvious question is: is U2 more like Springsteen or Fall Out Boy? At a top price of $250 per ticket, they're a hell of a lot closer to Bruce nowadays -- it's not 1987 anymore.
Added to that...U2 tix are very reasonable compared to other so called big acts.

I'm 50 an me and my wife took a week off of work and will buy lawn chairs, sit on our arse, and undergo whatever vigil need be to get a good place on the apron. Our children and a couple of theirs' (thats 3 count em 3 generations of fans!) will be there too! Wev'e beeen there before and are addicted. Besides it is U2, not flop out boy or snoop doggy doo / pp didy :D Maybe you were lookinfg for another band's Forum?

Silence, my friend, you're killing me with the lilac text on the blue background - it's really hard to read.

Good call on the lawn chair plan. :up:

IMO, leaving to shower, grab food or just take a walk around the venue to stretch your legs doesn't and shouldn't bother anyone. The issue is checking in, getting a number and then taking off for most of the night or day only to return a couple of hours before you go in. There were fans who were posting on Interference last tour talking about all the sightseeing and driving around that they'd done while they were supposedly waiting in line (I knew one of these fans and the city they posted about visiting was an hour and half drive one way from the venue). If you want to sight see all day, then either get a seat and show up last minute or just accept where you are when you get there a few hours before show time. As for holding a spot for someone, at the 2nd Oakland Vertigo show the first couple in line were holding a spot for one of their friends and they actually did have a placeholder, it was a goodwill gesture and no one around us had any issue with it. I couldn't line up all day for the first show, so I just got there when they let the line in and was lucky enough to buzz into the ellipse.

I think U2's "people" should be willing to do the work it takes to do it like Bruce does.

I know this is not exactly what you meant, but I agree. Of all the random people they employ, they can't simply hire ONE person to act as a liaison between U2's camp and the venue? It's not just the GA line but other stuff, like cameras. In Auburn Hills I was still walking from the parking lot to the venue when a venue security person ran up to me and told me to get rid of my camera. WTF? It was the same camera I'd already taken to half a dozen shows where I was told that "U2's policy" is point-and-shoots only, no SLR with detatchable lenses or anything professional, and I had a point-and-shoot digital camera. Something similar happened in Hawaii. Halfway through the day the venue decided to announce that there would be NO backpacks or bags inside, not even the purses that have thin shoulder straps. This was after the same bags or bigger had been allowed at every other show and it was so late in the day many people actually had to throw away their bags and stuff.

It seems that the venues don't really care one way or the other, and without any instruction they just kind of make up arbitrary rules. I overheard a friend explain U2's camera policy to local security, after which it was announced that our cameras would be allowed. Why not just have one "official" person in charge of communicating the rules and procedures to the venue? People will do as they are told when they know what to expect.

As for holding places, I know I'm late to this discussion but I agree with what VP said back on page one. Really I think it's up to the fans at the front of the line - whoever holds the notebook and feels like policing the line (or not). In Pittsburgh I was at the front and the self-appointed line person went MIA. I was not in a mood to tell other adults how to behave so I just let anyone write down whoever's name they wanted and get numbers. I think you just have to look out for yourself. In Chicago some clowns tried to cut directly in front of us and we told them to bugger off. The line people are fans just like everyone else and at every show I attended, security made it clear they were not policing the lines and would not get involved.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but during the last tour, this is how it went down for GA.

Someone who attended a bunch of the concerts was usually there at the crack of dawn to start a list. It was unofficial, but everyone went along with it. When you arrive, you put your name down on the list. Then, people could hang out or come and go, and the list would minimize arguments and/or differences of opinion.

What everyone needs to understand is that if you're there for the entire day, you will get good GA spots. Just don't be an asshole because someone saved a spot ahead of you. It doesn't make that big of a difference, so just relax and enjoy the day for what it is.

Have you guys been able to go back to your spot if you need to go to the toilet or something? When I saw them in Vegas (Vertigo second Vegas show) the people behind me saved my spot. We talked for a while before the opening bands and when nature called I asked to please save my spot that I would come back fast. I offered to get them beers if they wanted to so one of them gave me money for his beer and I came back with his beer and my spot was right where I was.

Oh yeah. Each time I've been in line all day I've gone to the bathroom several times or taken an hour to shower. The main thing is that you are THERE to get the number, you put in time, get to know the people around you. You don't send your friends to get a spot and then show up for the first time at 5pm.

i have my doubts about the list thing - what happens with your regular fans who aren't "in the know" and turn up to queue at say around 1pm, have no idea about the "list protocol", wait in line all afternoon, and then at 5pm hundreds of people who happened to be on "a list" suddenly appear out of nowhere and push in in front of them?

man i would be pretty pissed off if that happened to me...

Have you guys been able to go back to your spot if you need to go to the toilet or something? When I saw them in Vegas (Vertigo second Vegas show) the people behind me saved my spot. We talked for a while before the opening bands and when nature called I asked to please save my spot that I would come back fast. I offered to get them beers if they wanted to so one of them gave me money for his beer and I came back with his beer and my spot was right where I was.

Oh yeah. Each time I've been in line all day I've gone to the bathroom several times or taken an hour to shower. The main thing is that you are THERE to get the number, you put in time, get to know the people around you. You don't send your friends to get a spot and then show up for the first time at 5pm.

I think Chino was talking about once the show has started. I would tend to let someone come back to their original spot, or near it, but I myself wouldn't risk it. I'd rather suffer a little dehydration than try to tell 1,000 people that 'no really, I was right up front, I just had to go to the bathroom, s'cuse me'.

I think Chino was talking about once the show has started. I would tend to let someone come back to their original spot, or near it, but I myself wouldn't risk it. I'd rather suffer a little dehydration than try to tell 1,000 people that 'no really, I was right up front, I just had to go to the bathroom, s'cuse me'.

Yeah, me too. I have to plan my liquid intake carefully and be very choosy about my bathroom breaks before the show starts. Once the show starts, I'm not going anywhere because there's no way I'm getting back up there.

I'll leave the line to shower. I may be camping out, but I sure as hell don't want to look like I did. :wink:

I was at the Boston 12/4 show where a group of interferencers got pulled up during One. After they came off stage, some people wouldn't let them get their spots back. :down: I remember squeezing over as much as I could to allow one of them back to their spot.

What everyone needs to understand is that if you're there for the entire day, you will get good GA spots. Just don't be an asshole because someone saved a spot ahead of you. It doesn't make that big of a difference, so just relax and enjoy the day for what it is.

:yes: :up:

I think circumstances have to be taken into account where a person can't get to a venue until evening time, but their friend, partner, spouse, family member, etc., has been waiting all day in line. It would be horrible if said person who arrived in the evening wouldn't be allowed to be with the other half of their party. That's just plain wrong in my eyes.

:yes: :up:

I think circumstances have to be taken into account where a person can't get to a venue until evening time, but their friend, partner, spouse, family member, etc., has been waiting all day in line. It would be horrible if said person who arrived in the evening wouldn't be allowed to be with the other half of their party. They would be allowed to go to the end of the line when their other half arrives! That's just plain wrong in my eyes.

So...if everyone does that, saving line psition for others for hours, how fair is that? :sad:

I still agree with this person's statement. For Vertigo L.A. Staples Center, my best friend and I were #250 or 260 something, and we still got to just 1 or 2 people behind the rail at the tip of the ellipse.

That just the way of General Admission. People are always going to show up later and the line moves back a bit. It's been that way ever since I've been going to concerts since I was a teenager. It's nothing to stress about or let ruin your concert experience.

just something to think about. stadiums have a number of entrances, compared to arenas. maybe u2 will open multiple entrances for ga, like they did for some of the european shows on the last tour. that would severely limit camping out imo. they could also designate specific entrances based on codes on ga tickets

That would suck for people trying to stay with their friends, if you have a group of three and have to go in different entrances or something.

Back
Top Bottom