Holding a place in the GA line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did GA in Vegas and there were fans who organized the line up with numbers on hands and it seemed to be fairly orderly. (props to Amy for having woken us up to alert us to the line up forming :wink:) My sister had a broken ankle and was in a wheelchair so security let us in ahead of the mob and one of the 4 in our group scanned into the elipse but all 4 of us were allowed in. We were one of the first on the floor, it was so awesome. The pushing and shoving and drunken VIPs came later. My sister in the wheelchair and I ended up along the inside of the ramp trying to stay away from being trampled and puked on. :up: No problem tho cuz all 4 of the band walked right by us and we got some great pics :up::up: Bono sang most of SYCMIOYO right in front of us.

I had GA in Hawaii but was with a handicapped group so we showed up mid afternoon and were shown right onto the floor, right up front in front of the stage.

As far as GA goes, I think it really depends on the venue and whether fans or security or a combination of the two work to organize a line up. You'll see a lot of the same faces in the lines and lining the stage, ramps. They have a whole system of how they do it, travelling from show to show. If you've never experienced GA at a U2 show, definitely do it. The experience is one you will never forget and once you've survived GA you'll never want to see U2 (or any other concert for that matter) the same ever again!! :heart:

For alot of Euro stadium shows these days they sell the Gold Circle at the front at a slightly higher price. I like the convenience but it seems to damage the atmosphere - without exception all the gold circles I've had to queue for have been more fun than any I've bought a ticket for.

The tour is suppose to be in the round. Meaning that there will be enough space for everyone especially for a stadium show.

The only person I met before a show was Edge in Boston on 12/5/05 in like 20 degree weather. I have never met Bono before a show only because I see them in Philly and they don't do meet and greets here and they fly in from NYC. The secruity say its because the street is too close, which there is next to no traffic, but its like that in a lot of other places. I still try everytime.

i met them in philly on popmart, and then again in philly on elevation. both times it was at the venue. my boyfriend met them at the venue in philly on vertigo too. :shrug: definatly keep trying!

I tried on Vertigo in Philly. I went to all 4 shows and they didn't stop or they came in at 6:00. I had GA for all the shows.

When I saw U2 on the last tour, I showed up alone and was there as soon as was allowed...but so were lots of other folks, so I still was a little ways back in line (not terribly, but a bit). I had friends further up in line...but there was no way I was going to attempt to join them. I was not going to cut in front of anybody. It's not right. I stood in line by myself all day. I showed up alone, that was my choice/problem. Other people shouldn't have to get knocked back a place in line because of that. I would hope that other people would practice the same common courtesy. If you're with somebody who showed up late...well...go to the back of the line with that person, if you want to be with him or her. That person shouldn't be allowed to cut. I took a day off from work to line up and get my spot. Someone strolling in hours later shouldn't be able to be in front of me.

This makes me sound like I'm so mean. I'm not, I swear. :lol: I just think that the lining up process should be fair. First come, first served. It makes sense.

Last edited:
the only thing that was good about being up in the stands for the cardiff gig 4 (FOUR!! fucking hell that's quite some time) years ago was not having to suffer any lining up and trying to 'get rail'. I imagine it'd be hell on earth, I'm not one to suddenly go 'OI! NO CUTS FUCK OFF TO THE BACK' but it'll leave a really sour taste in my mouth and i'll feel really angry until the line moves in knowing someone just turned up late and thinks because they're friend's in line they can just cut in.

It's like when you're actually in front of the stage and people suddenly start pushing all the way from the back.
"My friend's up there!"
...lucky fucking friend, what a shame you didn't get here on time...what gives anyone to the right to just push to the front?

that said, I read a thread at AtEase about some girl bitching about pushing and cuts in the line at a Radiohead gig last year which was probably one of the funniest things I'd ever read.

I tried on Vertigo in Philly. I went to all 4 shows and they didn't stop or they came in at 6:00. I had GA for all the shows.

I tried for three of the four shows. The best I got was a picture when Bono rolled down the window in his SUV. The only time I left the line the two times I did GA in Philly was to wait for them to arrive. I was so mad at the first October show when I waited for like three hours for them to come and some girl rushed at one of the SUVs. I knew they weren't going to come out for sure then :mad:

I tried for three of the four shows. The best I got was a picture when Bono rolled down the window in his SUV. The only time I left the line the two times I did GA in Philly was to wait for them to arrive. I was so mad at the first October show when I waited for like three hours for them to come and some girl rushed at one of the SUVs. I knew they weren't going to come out for sure then :mad:

I have 2 pictures of when he rolled the window down. It was on the 1st leg and they were running later and I found why they were running late a few days later. Edun was doing something at Saks that day

Any tips on meeting the band post or pre show?

Im gonna try for seats this time cos I cant stand the hustle and bustle of GA. So I'd like to take some time to try meet/see them beforehand. :hyper:

You have to go where they come in when they are in their SUVs. Sometimes they stop and sometimes they don't. Get there early

Yes, San Jose Arena security ran the line there in 2005, it was great.

We showed up at around 12pm, received numbered wristbands from the security staff, and were told to come back and line up one hour before the doors opened. It was flawless, and nobody complained.
it should be like this everywhere!:up:

In St. Louis we got the last two places at the very end of the rail after lining up at 5:00am. Had someone line jumped, we would have been stuck in the second row.

Listen, honestly...second row?? What's so bad about second row? Good grief, second row is first row when the surge happens :lol:

There are going to be two humongous rails: the stage, and the outer. All the people posting in this thread will be within the first 200, I'd wager serious money on that. All of them will get to stand where they want pretty much.

Speaking of shawties..there have been occasions where I've been on the rail and there was a girl who was much shorter than me right behind me. I let her have my spot because whether she is in front of me has zero impact on my ability to see the band, Bono to notice me, etc. So guess what I was then? Second row! :huh:

Anyways, I want to tell a story from last tour:

One night, we were all in line properly etc, a bit chilled and grumpy. I had been trying to get Bono's attention all tour and had been talked to several times by his handler John about how it might happen one night and what I had to do to ensure that. I never seemed to get center position though, so this night I was gunning for it as at that point it was going to be my last show of the tour.

I arrived at the front rail inside the ellipse and there were only a couple of people there. They were popular Interferencers we all know. I hold no bad feelings about this event or these girls in fact can't wait to see them again this tour so if they recognize themselves they either don't mind me retelling it or will just leave it alone. :uhoh: This is just how I remember it.

Anyways, I was happy that I was at the center, as I would finally get my chance to be right in front of Bono. One of them was adamant that I wasn't going to stand where I was, she basically told me that the spot was saved. Both she and I knew that the persons she was trying to save it for were a. behind me in the line and b. not even scanned into the ellipse yet. For a brief moment I was upset about this and let her know I thought what she was doing was wrong. Then I realized it didn't really matter and just slid down further closer to Adam's position. But feeling a bit crestfallen, that my hopes of getting Bono's attention were dashed.

Long story short: That city was Detroit. The night Bono pulled me onstage. Would he have seen me if I was anywhere else? I don't know, because John usually stood off to the side a bit, and he had told me to stand as close to him as possible so Bono would notice me. So if I was in the centre...maybe not?

All I'm saying is..I could have been an sob and argued with these gals, and from the sounds of some of the opinions in this thread, I would have been right...but in the end what difference does it make if your one or two people away or if your dead center or not, when you're up that close? There's more than enough U2 love for everyone in that area and if you've ever been that close you know what I'm talking about - the energy coming off the band is incredible even 20 people back.

Yes, San Jose Arena security ran the line there in 2005, it was great.

We showed up at around 12pm, received numbered wristbands from the security staff, and were told to come back and line up one hour before the doors opened. It was flawless, and nobody complained.
it should be like this everywhere!:up:

It was like that in Boston too.

Listen, honestly...second row?? What's so bad about second row? Good grief, second row is first row when the surge happens :lol:
I wasn't implying that second row was a bad place to be. I've been in the second row before. It's a great place to be. However, first row is a greater place to be, and if I put in 12+ hours in line and someone cuts in front of me, it's going to piss me off. That's all I'm saying.

I really don't care about getting Bono's attention or being "seen" by anyone. I like having the rail to lean against. It's about comfort more than anything else.

None of this is a huge deal. I generally have bigger worries than line politics. I'm going to have a great time regardless of what spot I get. I just don't like when people cut in line.

I hear you on the rail comfort thing. I think being friendly goes along way. I'd have a really hard time turning down a friendly "I'm really tired could I lean on the rail a bit".

I dunno, all bets are off I guess next tour. I better not say much cause maybe I'll be just as grumpy. lol

Anyone in this thread been to the last round of stadium shows? I was theorizing that maybe 1st row wouldn't be the greatest due to the height of the stage and the size of the screens. Seems like a neck strainer. Thoughts?

That was awesome. We got there at like 9 or 10am, got our wristbands, and then walked around and went to lunch and what not. It was totally fine and everyone was ok with it.

I was really upset about this. I have been a fan for 20+ years and have never met the band. We waited for them to come out and sign autographs for like 3 hours. Finally we gave up and ran back to the line because they said they were starting to let people in and that if you werent in your spot you'd be screwed basically. I guess Bono eventually came out. We could have met if I just stayed an extra 15 minutes. :sigh: Oh well. I didnt want to risk my spot in line. I had seen him drive in, I got a couple of pics of that, but that was all I got.

Sicy, you gotta come and hang with me! :wink:

The only person I met before a show was Edge in Boston on 12/5/05 in like 20 degree weather. I have never met Bono before a show only because I see them in Philly and they don't do meet and greets here and they fly in from NYC. The secruity say its because the street is too close, which there is next to no traffic, but its like that in a lot of other places. I still try everytime.

I was there, too!
I couldn't believe Edge was in front of me after all these years of waiting for that moment. The GA system at the Fleet was great. I got there in the early am, with my baby in a stroller, ran through North Station to get my wristband then hopped back on the T to get back to pick up the rest of my crew from preschool. Then didn't have to get back down to the Fleet center til 4pm or so and I think that is when Edge came out. Although it was freezing, the wait outside wasn't too long and was well organized. I only hope Foxboro goes as well!

Going back to the original post - I dont agree with someone showing up at 4pm and being allowed into the front of the line - maybe if they turn up earlier liek 10/11 latest

all it takes is one person to kick up a fuss and you will prob find the second eprson wouldn;t be allowed into the queue anyway

thats in the UK anyway...

Sicy, you gotta come and hang with me! :wink:

Haha. Well now that it's stadiums I'm not even going to try. :crack:

Gabe I didn't know you got pulled up onstage. Why? Did you play an instrument or something? I'm sure it wasn't for your dancing skills. :wink:

JC, the NY show is in our week in September. Meeting Bono is a must that week.

I think it's o.k. U2 fans are pretty respectable towards each other. I mean just say it when you line up. Let the people who come behind you know that you have another person coming and I'm sure it'll be fine. That's how I did it in Vancouver and nobody had an issue with it. There were no wristbands or numbers or anything like that in Vancouver. I just told the peole who came behind me that I had a friend who was coming at 4:00. They were totally cool with that.

If I offend anyone here I'm sorry but if anyone has issues or bitches about somone letting a single friend join them in line than you're kind of an ass to begin with. I mean let's be real. Not every single person in line is gonna suddenly have a freind with them an hour before the show. It's not like the first 100 in the GA line doubles at 4:00pm.

Now if you hold a spot for 8 of your friends be prepared for a major backlash :lol:

Well I am not one of those fans that follows the band everywhere, to their hotels and what not so it will just be a coincidence if I do happen to see them at the venue. It was just unfortunate that the two opportunities I had didnt pan through.

Don't worry, the craziest things can happen and I'm proof of that. I'm also uncomfortable hanging around the hotel, etc. and after 25 years of being a fan, I met Bono three times at my offices between '05 and '06.

Gabe I didn't know you got pulled up onstage. Why? Did you play an instrument or something? I'm sure it wasn't for your dancing skills. :wink:

Ah...I'm known for my awesome dancing skillz cmon!

I did have a sign that said I wanted to play WGRYWH...or was that Redemption Song..I forget...but nah, he wouldn't let me near the guitar...in Bono's words "I don't want you to play or anything, just come stand beside me for a sec.." and then made a joke about me going around fooling people and fathering children using the name "Bono" :lol:

There's a video of it, buried on my harddrive somewhere :reject:

Anyways, I want to tell a story from last tour:

That's an awesome story. Congratulations on being pulled on stage!! I too would like to see that video!

I've never gone GA before. But I have some experience waiting to meet the band. When I was at the unveiling of U2 Way in NYC, I started out at the first row, but because security moved us to a section right in front of the podium, I ended up in second row. There was this really tall guy in front of me (maybe 6' or so) and his wife to his side. I stood behind them, in between him and his wife. His wife is also taller than me (95% people in this country are...). So I just asked them beforehand if they wouldn't mind ducking a couple of times so I could take a picture of the band at the podium. They had no problem with it. He's got a great video of the event, and I got plenty of good pictures.

Now the next night, when I was waiting for Bono to come out of the theater, I had a different experience. We were waiting for the band to finish rehearsal, and the security guy asked us to move behind the barricade. I moved, and got to the edge of the barricade. There were these 2 ladies, one of them went to my left (behind the barricade) and the other one went to my right. There's no more barricade on my right, so this lady proceeded to stand in front of me (and the barricade) to chat with her friend. She's taller than me, and she just stood there like there's nothing wrong. I was too tired to argue with her, so I just asked her the same thing I asked the other guy, if she could possibly duck a couple of times for me to shake Bono's hand or take pictures of him. She didn't answer, and then her friend joked (or did she) that maybe she should just sit on the sidewalk.

I laughed it off, didn't say anything back, and minutes later, just before Larry came out, the security guy told everyone to move behind the barricade. :) So she had to move to my side and was no longer blocking my view.

I got to shake Larry's hand and got my sharpie stolen by Edge who then gave it back because I asked for it. :p And I got to spend minutes with Bono and Adam who took their own sweet time signing every single thing that night. So all in all, I had a wonderful time in the end. I do believe in karma. So I'll be considerate of others as I expect others will. We're all there for the same purpose, to enjoy the rock show!!

BTW, how early are people lining up?

^ That is what happened to me. Duh, you were standing next to me when we were in the front and then they moved us, but I wound up being in between the 2 people in front of me.

Back
Top Bottom