Have the feeling 360 is the last tour - anyone else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LenaMac

Babyface
I managed to catch the last song of the 1st Auckland show on YouTube (I think) and instead of signing off with the usual "It won't be long before we're back again" type comment that Bono usually makes at the end of the show (as far as I know from the shows I've seen down through the years), he said "Don't forget about us." This struck me as strange. It made me wonder if they might split up at the end of the tour.

Does anyone else get the same feeling?

I'm a bit out of the loop with the minutae of U2 these days. Have there been things said or not said in the press over the past, say, year that would indicate this might be a final tour or any other indications that band members might be setting up for a life post-U2? I know there's an album due out early next year so I'm imagining, if I'm right, they'll announce the split sometime around the time it goes on sale.

What do you true believers think and more to the point, how would you feel?

I've been thinking this for a while. I'd be content if they didn't tour so long as they still released albums.

I wouldn't really worry about it at this point in time.

Ditto. Every band that's been around awhile has their fans go through this discussion too after major tours, so I'll only worry about it when the band actually announces something in regards to it (i.e., a break-up, no tour for a new album, etc.)

Maybe the last one of this scope. They're getting into Dethklok territory with the claw stage. Not sure how much bigger they can go, tour-wise.

Yeah, probably the last tour of this kind, but not the end of U2 or touring, nothing they are doing right now would lead anyone to think that...

Maybe I've been feeling it could be possible - which is why I've gone to eight shows so far this tour, plus another four coming up next year.

I think it could be the last "major" tour, but they'll probably continue to play arenas or smaller shows for a long while.

I don't know if I'd count myself as a true believer, but I don't think this will be their last tour. In 2008 U2 signed a 12-year contract with their current concert promoter Live Nation - which means that when the U2 360° Tour is over, sometime next year unless they make more extensions, they will still have another 9 years or so left on that contract.

Live Nation agrees to 12-year pact with U2 | Reuters

Jeez, you guys. Lay off!

Like she's supposed to know how many pages back to scroll before it's deemed acceptable to determine if the question hadn't been asked before?

Couldnt imagine not being able to see them live anymore though, not for a good while yet anyway.

Jeez, you guys. Lay off!

Like she's supposed to know how many pages back to scroll before it's deemed acceptable to determine if the question hadn't been asked before?

Seriously.

Although, search is pretty easy to use. I did try to search and didnt find a similar thread recently.

360 won't be the last tour. We'd definitely know by now if that were true, especially considering that they are hitting many markets on 2 legs this time and may possibly run into issues getting 100% legit sold out.

I'd say they have at least 12-15 years of touring left assuming everyone stays healthy.

I see it going one of two ways.

1.)They feel like they've revolutionized touring so much with this set up that they keep some variation of it and keep doing stadiums. The current schedule, few shows w/ many more in attendance and much more time between dates allows them to rest, spend time with their families, fly to a home somewhere between gigs, etc.

All band members, but especially Bono, seem to like this.

2.)As already mentioned, they do arenas and maybe even smaller venues as time goes on. A lot of Elevation/Vertigo type productions, etc. There is still a hell of a lot of demand for U2, so the only hang up I could see to this approach is having to do 3 nights in a row 2 days off then 2 or 3 nights again in 10 years when they are older.

Even though, barring extenuating circumstances, 360 will not be their last tour, I plan on seeing them as many times as possible on this and any future tour just in case. Any band that has been around as long as them could have an unanticipated family issue, health issue or internal conflict come up at any time and that could be the end. Just reality.

The original post mentioned Bono's "don't forget about us" line, which I recall being used many times before, mostly on Vertigo. Its just something he says, along with "thanks for sticking around" and "we'll never forget this, don't you" to remind the fans to keep up that connection they made with the band that night.

I wouldn't read anything prophetic into it.

I managed to catch the last song of the 1st Auckland show on YouTube (I think) and instead of signing off with the usual "It won't be long before we're back again" type comment that Bono usually makes at the end of the show (as far as I know from the shows I've seen down through the years), he said "Don't forget about us." This struck me as strange. It made me wonder if they might split up at the end of the tour.

Bono has said this many times over the years, as U2387 pointed out. It's not an abnormal or unusual thing for him to say, and doesn't justify your reaction.

I bloody well hope they never do a stadium tour ever again. Unfortunately, the level of demand in Australia is such that I'm not sure they'd come down here to play venues any smaller than stadiums. Even if they do an arena tour elsewhere, they would still probably adapt it to stadiums for Australia, like they did in Turin on Elevation.

Which leads to my next point ...

i wouldn't be stunned if they don't make it down to australia/nz again...

Why would you say this? The only market where U2 have stronger ticket sales than Australia is Ireland.

Didnt we have this thread last tour? and the tour before that?

Hell, people have been asking this since 1987.

I have the sense that this will be one of their last massive productions. They might scale it down a bit from now, and then come the farewell tour, perhaps go large again.

From my point of view, Bono's "Don't Forget about us" is about how the music industry is changing and how U2 are becoming less or no longer relevant at all.

Demand will always be there for a U2 concert. Its no different to the Stones or AC/DC. I just don't think they will ever dominate the charts again. Which is not bad thing. Does that mean they'll never write another good song? Hell no. Its just how it is.

I have the sense that this will be one of their last massive productions. They might scale it down a bit from now, and then come the farewell tour, perhaps go large again.

This is exactly my thinking. I think we'll get the Elevation/Vertigo treatment for the remainder of their tours before they attempt to cap off their career by topping themselves with the biggest tour ever.

I was watching Rattle & Hum recently and thinking that something 'revolutionary' they could do right now would be to tour like the Joshua Tree Tour again, just them and the audience, that'd be powerful, I know they compromised on this with their use of the small individual black & white video screens on Elevation & Vertigo, but come on, what U2 wouldn't want to see that.

I feel like this could be their last hurrah as far as a stadium tour is concerned. I dunno if it can be bigger and better than it is now. This is the biggest it has ever been for the band.

At the same time, I don't see them doing arenas again. They played the ACC four nights in a week on the Vertigo tour. That's a lot of work compared to two nights at the Rogers Centre.

It will be interesting to see which way they go after this and the new album. My spider sense tells me that the touring is too much for Larry.....

We will just have to wait and see.

I feel like this could be their last hurrah as far as a stadium tour is concerned. I dunno if it can be bigger and better than it is now. This is the biggest it has ever been for the band.

At the same time, I don't see them doing arenas again. They played the ACC four nights in a week on the Vertigo tour. That's a lot of work compared to two nights at the Rogers Centre.

It will be interesting to see which way they go after this and the new album. My spider sense tells me that the touring is too much for Larry.....

We will just have to wait and see.

I could see them doing kind of a hybrid with the Elevation type staging and a more sparse/sporadic 360 style itinerary.

Back
Top Bottom