"Hang out" with U2 in Los Angeles 3/9/09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a loooooong afternoon/evening.:yawn:

Was no nice to meet so many of you guys there! I can't name them all. Hope many of you had a safe trip home, since several came from a distance (Fresno, Bakersfield, Ventura,...) Oh one word for you Carrie - man-purse :)

We got there around 4:45, and there was about 30-40 people there, on both sides of the driveway at Capitol Records. Just hung out for a while & chatted with people. About 10 minutes til 6:00, Bono's car drove up, and he rolled down the window (and we got some pics) and said he'd be out later to sign. Then it seemed like a bunch more people started to show them, among them paparazzi-types and autograph hounds :angry: Then of course there were about 6 police cars called in for "crowd control". And probably around 7:30-ish or so, we see Larry walking out of the Capitol Records parking lot. He went to one side & shook hands, then came to ours and shook ours (Maddy & mine too!). In the meantime, I believe the other cars departed. Sly trick eh? So we all thought they had left. Turns out that they went over to the Avalon across the street, and once we found out, everyone hauled butt over there. Separated into two barricaded groups of people, we ended up waiting there for quite some more time, but eventually Adam came out & signed (got my Q mag signed), Edge came out (ditto), then Bono. He signed on our side, but initially missed Maddy. We had wanted to get her 8x10 of her with Bono signed, and on his way back around, we got it at the last minute :combust: Then Larry came out again and we couldn't believe he was so nice & taking photos with so many people (no autographs), and I eventually got one of her with Larry. Who would have thunk it. Then he left & it was all over. :hyper:

Went to grab a bite with Carlos, tyvm!!! :hug: :love:

Exhausted, but might try & hook the camera up if I can keep my eyes open a little longer...

WHAT AN AWESOME NIGHT!!! Meeting all of the guys!!! meeting all of you was fabulous :) SO STOKED to have gotten a picture with LARRY! He was so nice! SOOOOooo nice. LARRY RULES! HAHA I'm so excited. I'll post all my stuff later on! I haven't uploaded yet. Amazing night. Thanks to all the U2 fans who made the wait that much better and congrats to ya all. see you all very soon I'm guessing.

I know!!! We were worried that it almost wasn't going to happen! He missed her on the first go round, but when he came back, she got lucky. Don't even know if he looked at the photo, LOL! Great to see you again :hug:

Here's some of our pics:

Capitol-BonodrivinginCarlos3-9-09.jpg

Capitol-Bonodrivingin3-9-09.jpg

not that great, I just held the camera up and tried to aim :lol:
Capitol-Bonodrivingin23-9-09.jpg

Capitol-Larry3-9-09.jpg

Capitol-LarryProfile3-9-09.jpg

AIEEE! You got part of my Larry picture! Wow, what an awesome day. I'm so glad I got to meet all of you!! :heart: I'm oddly still wide awake after the drive but...if I'm going to work tomorrow, I should probably get to bed. :hyper:

im beyond ecstatic!!! I was unfortunately shoved out of the way when adam and edge came out and I wasnt able to reach them in time:sad: but I had AMAZING Larry luck:heart::heart: i got to meet him 3 times...twice at the avalon and once outside of capitol records.... and Bono said hi to me in a way that was soooo genuine:love:! Im over the moon and forever grateful to have interacted with half of the band

edge.jpg

bono.jpg

IMG_2533.jpg

IMG_2515.jpg

IMG_2507.jpg
:drool:
IMG_2528.jpg

BTW, if anyone was at the XXXXXXXXXXX today, I'm fairly certain someone got a pic of me hugging Bono. I'd be eternally grateful! I know one of those paparrazzi folks had to have gotten it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to everyone!!!

Especially to Maddy and Lila!!! (2 down 2 go for pictures)

I was reading the posts earlier when no one knew where they were. Amazing how you all found them.

:applaud::applaud::applaud:

so the big group met at the Renaissance Hotel at Hollywood & Highland, and at 445 we were shuttled over to capitol records on two big charter buses. we waited outside the capitol records building for almost an hour, and they finally let us into the building. it was some sort of side door, and a short walk down a small hall into one of the recording studios, sound booths and panels and all. there was a small platform with 4 stools in the middle, and another one off to the side. i got a seat near the front, but there were no chairs in the front section so we were all sitting on the floor. at about 550 Shirley Manson came out, talked about how nervous she was and that Larry is feeling a little under the weather, so he might not come until later. Paul McGuiness was there, Jimmy Iovine, and a few other well-known faces.

at 6, after the intro on the radio, the guys came out. it was incredible. the interview was pretty straightforward, Shirley asked a few questions, the band gave a few answers, and they'd play a song off the album. All 4 guys were hilarious. While the songs were playing the studio was off the air, so the guys would be talking to each other, or to the crowd, or fielding questions. the commercial breaks were pretty quiet in the studio, so people started asking questions directly to the band, which was very exciting. there was a man sitting a few people down from me with a heavy Irish accent, Bono noticed it and they had a pretty lengthy and humorous discussion about a few shows back on the October tour in Ireland. The interview was a pretty standard one, as you can probably hear on the radio broadcast, but the commercial breaks were fantastic. i actually got to ask the band a question! amazing. someone asked Edge about It Might Get Loud, and after Edge talked about it for a while, Larry talked about his own documentary coming soon, called "It Might Get Louder." pretty great stuff. Bono talked about The Killers for a while, and how he admired their belief that they could 'take on the world.' it's unbelievable how likable, personable, and just down-to-earth those 4 guys are: they seemed like 4 regular, average men, yet i was completely blown away.

after the interview was over, the staff was trying to tell people to leave, but nobody did. Larry left, probably still hungover (haha), but Edge, Bono, and Adam stayed and did signatures. i got a few autographs. the guys were just standing around, signing autographs, shaking hands, and just hanging out. it was surreal. an incredible setting and an incredible experience.

also: during a commercial break, someone asked Bono about the next album. Bono then talked about how some albums come in pairs, like they had done with Achtung Baby. He also mentioned that they had been 'strictly forbidden' to say that the same thing is going to happen with NLOTH. he then pointed out Paul McGuiness and said that they had just made his day by telling all of us this news. pretty exciting stuff!

i heard you guys were then bussed over to avalon? is that true? does anybody know what they did inside avalon, since they did radio stuff inside capitol?

Wow!

It was great to meet so many fans yesterday/last night! It was a very long day. We made it home just fine last night.

We didn't have much luck getting autographs, but both Sarah and I got to shake Larry's hand! I still can't believe how soft his hands are....must take care of them. :)

Regarding the man purse, you have to admire a son who would carry his mother's purse on his arm so she can get closer to Bono!!

P1050949.jpg

so the big group met at the Renaissance Hotel at Hollywood & Highland, and at 445 we were shuttled over to capitol records on two big charter buses. we waited outside the capitol records building for almost an hour, and they finally let us into the building. it was some sort of side door, and a short walk down a small hall into one of the recording studios, sound booths and panels and all. there was a small platform with 4 stools in the middle, and another one off to the side. i got a seat near the front, but there were no chairs in the front section so we were all sitting on the floor. at about 550 Shirley Manson came out, talked about how nervous she was and that Larry is feeling a little under the weather, so he might not come until later. Paul McGuiness was there, Jimmy Iovine, and a few other well-known faces.

at 6, after the intro on the radio, the guys came out. it was incredible. the interview was pretty straightforward, Shirley asked a few questions, the band gave a few answers, and they'd play a song off the album. All 4 guys were hilarious. While the songs were playing the studio was off the air, so the guys would be talking to each other, or to the crowd, or fielding questions. the commercial breaks were pretty quiet in the studio, so people started asking questions directly to the band, which was very exciting. there was a man sitting a few people down from me with a heavy Irish accent, Bono noticed it and they had a pretty lengthy and humorous discussion about a few shows back on the October tour in Ireland. The interview was a pretty standard one, as you can probably hear on the radio broadcast, but the commercial breaks were fantastic. i actually got to ask the band a question! amazing. someone asked Edge about It Might Get Loud, and after Edge talked about it for a while, Larry talked about his own documentary coming soon, called "It Might Get Louder." pretty great stuff. Bono talked about The Killers for a while, and how he admired their belief that they could 'take on the world.' it's unbelievable how likable, personable, and just down-to-earth those 4 guys are: they seemed like 4 regular, average men, yet i was completely blown away.

after the interview was over, the staff was trying to tell people to leave, but nobody did. Larry left, probably still hungover (haha), but Edge, Bono, and Adam stayed and did signatures. i got a few autographs. the guys were just standing around, signing autographs, shaking hands, and just hanging out. it was surreal. an incredible setting and an incredible experience.

also: during a commercial break, someone asked Bono about the next album. Bono then talked about how some albums come in pairs, like they had done with Achtung Baby. He also mentioned that they had been 'strictly forbidden' to say that the same thing is going to happen with NLOTH. he then pointed out Paul McGuiness and said that they had just made his day by telling all of us this news. pretty exciting stuff!

Wow, thanks for sharing, I envy all of you so much. Great story :up:

What a loooooong afternoon/evening.:yawn:

Was no nice to meet so many of you guys there! I can't name them all. Hope many of you had a safe trip home, since several came from a distance (Fresno, Bakersfield, Ventura,...) Oh one word for you Carrie - man-purse :)

We got there around 4:45, and there was about 30-40 people there, on both sides of the driveway at Capitol Records. Just hung out for a while & chatted with people. About 10 minutes til 6:00, Bono's car drove up, and he rolled down the window (and we got some pics) and said he'd be out later to sign. Then it seemed like a bunch more people started to show them, among them paparazzi-types and autograph hounds :angry: Then of course there were about 6 police cars called in for "crowd control". And probably around 7:30-ish or so, we see Larry walking out of the Capitol Records parking lot. He went to one side & shook hands, then came to ours and shook ours (Maddy & mine too!). In the meantime, I believe the other cars departed. Sly trick eh? So we all thought they had left. Turns out that they went over to the Avalon across the street, and once we found out, everyone hauled butt over there. Separated into two barricaded groups of people, we ended up waiting there for quite some more time, but eventually Adam came out & signed (got my Q mag signed), Edge came out (ditto), then Bono. He signed on our side, but initially missed Maddy. We had wanted to get her 8x10 of her with Bono signed, and on his way back around, we got it at the last minute :combust: Then Larry came out again and we couldn't believe he was so nice & taking photos with so many people (no autographs), and I eventually got one of her with Larry. Who would have thunk it. Then he left & it was all over. :hyper:

Went to grab a bite with Carlos, tyvm!!! :hug: :love:

Exhausted, but might try & hook the camera up if I can keep my eyes open a little longer...

OMFG WOMAN U BETTER GIVE ME all the DETAILS IN PRIVATE.. :hyper::applaud::hi5:

im beyond ecstatic!!! I was unfortunately shoved out of the way when adam and edge came out and I wasnt able to reach them in time:sad: but I had AMAZING Larry luck:heart::heart: i got to meet him 3 times...twice at the avalon and once outside of capitol records.... and Bono said hi to me in a way that was soooo genuine:love:! Im over the moon and forever grateful to have interacted with half of the band

edge.jpg

bono.jpg

IMG_2533.jpg

IMG_2515.jpg

IMG_2507.jpg
:drool:
IMG_2528.jpg

What an awesome picture of you & Larry! :applaud:

It was a blast.

I got my white booklet from NLOTH signed by Bono and Edge and had a pic taken with Larry.:up:
it was great to meet so many new people; Outsider and friends :)...Chels...:up:

This was my first U2 experience as I hever really had a chance to do any of this before i moved to LA. I have to say that they are amazing to their fans, and their staff is really nice. I have been to similar things to this before, and never seen something so accommodating and fan friendly.

I have two pictures I want to share since I guess these must be people on here. Its really hard to be short and try to take decent pictures!

3343788918_e377bec594.jpg

3343788044_9fdb0053c0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom