good Cameras for the new Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Panasonic ZS3 has been going for $250 at Costco, 12x zoom, and GREAT HD video capability...I posted many a video from my shows...(I think my Ultraviolet is still on the front page of interference...just checked it is...)

What do you guys think of Kodak Z950. The price should come down a good deal by next summer. It has 10x zoom and the Kodak pics I saw earlier in another thread look great. It's a little bulky, but I can deal with that. My Sd780 pics were a huge disappointment.

That looks to be pretty solid, although I haven't used it personally. The Canon SX120-IS and some Lumix models also look good.

The Panasonic ZS3 has been going for $250 at Costco, 12x zoom, and GREAT HD video capability...I posted many a video from my shows...(I think my Ultraviolet is still on the front page of interference...just checked it is...)

Hey Chris, is the audio track on your YT clip from the camera, or did you dub it in?
How good are the still shots with the ZS3?

Well I'm back to looking for a new camera again. I was not happy at all with the Fuji F70. Just taking regular every day pics and they're shit. Lags between photos and the flash goes on forever which usually makes me miss shots or people move because they think the pic is done. The only thing I liked was that it took good pictures in low light without flash and it had a 10x zoom but frankly my old Canon SD1000 takes better quality pictures so I'm back to looking for a Canon but I want a decent zoom (better than 3x) so I'm leaning towards the Canon A2000 IS that has a 6x zoom. Anyone have thoughts on a good Canon that isnt too bulky? (I almost got the SX120 but its a bit bulky for me).

I have that one

Sicy, I have the A2000 Canon and am pretty happy with it. Used it in Chicago and got some really good shots. It does have a slow shutter recovery but if you can go without flash it's much better.
I just have to figure out the settings a bit better-I had a problem with too much light on their faces while the rest of the performer was perfect. Not sure what that's called. Did get a primo shot of Edge though.:up:

I didn't try the video function. [BTW Walmart has it for $179, down from the $199 I paid.]

Good luck!

Birdlover

Sicy, I have the A2000 Canon and am pretty happy with it. Used it in Chicago and got some really good shots. It does have a slow shutter recovery but if you can go without flash it's much better.
I just have to figure out the settings a bit better-I had a problem with too much light on their faces while the rest of the performer was perfect. Not sure what that's called. Did get a primo shot of Edge though.:up:

I didn't try the video function. [BTW Walmart has it for $179, down from the $199 I paid.]

Good luck!

Birdlover

Hey Birdlover,

I had the same problem at my last show, Vancouver. I forgot to change my metering mode, so got a few overexposed faces. When using the normal (centre-weighted average) metering mode, the camera evaluates the light levels over much of the frame. It takes all that black background into account, & therefore wants to lighten up the shot. So for those close ups, often parts of the pic ends up overexposed (particularly faces & white shirts etc). You've got to change the metering mode to 'SPOT' metering, so the camera will only evaluate the light levels right at the centre of the frame (the performer).

Also it's often a good idea to dial down the 'Exposure Compensation' a bit (to negative values). This means the camera will expose the photos a bit less than normal, reducing the chances of overexposed faces.

Best of luck, bring on the 2010 shows!

Well I'm back to looking for a new camera again. I was not happy at all with the Fuji F70. Just taking regular every day pics and they're shit. Lags between photos and the flash goes on forever which usually makes me miss shots or people move because they think the pic is done. The only thing I liked was that it took good pictures in low light without flash and it had a 10x zoom but frankly my old Canon SD1000 takes better quality pictures so I'm back to looking for a Canon but I want a decent zoom (better than 3x) so I'm leaning towards the Canon A2000 IS that has a 6x zoom. Anyone have thoughts on a good Canon that isnt too bulky? (I almost got the SX120 but its a bit bulky for me).

Hey Sicy,

How are ya :wave:

So you want a 'good, not-to-bulky' Canon. Well, I have a 'GREAT, not-to-bulky' Canon for you.

The Canon S90!

First the cons. You said you wanted more than 3x zoom. This camera only just satisfies that spec. It has a 3.8x lens (28-105mm), so you'll have to get closer to the band, we all want that anyway, don't we :wink: Secondly, in continuous shooting mode, it shoots at about 1 frame per second, which isn't exactly sprightly. Thirdly, video is not HD, although, for SD, it's supposed to be pretty good (never used it myself). Lastly, the price tag is about $400, a lot for a compact. Still, I think it's worth every cent, here's why.

The Canon S90 is pretty much the best performing compact, particularly in low-light conditions. With a very large-sized sensor (for a compact), noise levels are greatly reduced at high ISO's (perfect for a concert). Not quite DSLR quality, but not bad at all. Most of my pics were at 800 ISO, with not much noise. In Vancouver, I shot Ultraviolet at 2500 ISO, & the noise levels were still acceptable (I found it pretty hard to get a good shot, I was surrounded by the smoke from that smoke machine). The camera also has a large aperture lens f/2.0 at 28mm, meaning it lets in a heap of light. So you don't have to go quite so high up the ISO scale. It offers full manual mode, I shot most of my pics in shutter priority mode (1/125s, AUTO ISO). The camera has a great feature, that no other compact has. A control ring around the lens, much like SLR's have. This can be used to adjust various functions, such as focal length, shutter speed, ISO, or exposure compensation.

There's also a control dial on the back, & a shortcut button, both of which can be set for various functions. So you can make a heap of adjustments, without having to fiddle within the cameras menus. Perfect when time is of the esscence, like at a U2 show!

Here's an article about the camera, from dpreview.com, Canon reintroduces S-series with PowerShot S90: Digital Photography Review

Guess you can tell, I love this camera. Not quite DSLR quality, but quite a bit cheaper, & much smaller. It'll fit in your pocket, no worries, so you can take it to the pub with you (if you want to risk a $400 camera at the pub).

If a 3.8x zoom just doesn't cut it for you, you could try the Canon G11. It's got a 5x zoom 28-140mm lens, the same large sensor (so pretty much the same low-light performance), full manual mode. But it's a pretty bulky camera, & the price tags bulkier too.

Thank you guys for the feedback. The thing is I dont know what I'm doing with all the manual settings, I tried really hard with the F70 and failed and just got overwhelmed and frustrated, so I pretty much just want something I can put on auto and shoot, which is why I'm not bothered that the A2000 doesnt have manual settings. :reject: And also I dont want a camera that shoots in .MOV because you cant do anything with those files as far as editing, etc and they wont open in Windows Movie Maker.

Hey Sicy,

I'm a total manual newbie too. The S90 is my 1st manual camera, & I picked it up about 1 hour before the Phoenix show (literally - I had Best Buy charge the camera so I could pick it up, & go straight to the show).

The problem using AUTO setting at a concert is, when the camera sees low-light conditions, it opens the shutter for way too long. So you get blurry shots. You can always use a SCENE mode, like SPORTS or KIDS & PETS to get around this (it will use a faster shutter speed), but it just doesn't give you the same control.

As I said, I'm a total newbie too. So all I did was set the shutter speed to 1/125s (pretty fast) before the show, & leave it alone. I also set the ISO to AUTO, & the camera did the rest. So once set, it was pretty much like shooting in auto. Set it, & forget it. These cameras have AUTO setting too, along with plenty of SCENE modes, if you feel a bit overwhelmed.

As I said, I'm a total newbie too. So all I did was set the shutter speed to 1/125s (pretty fast) before the show, & leave it alone. I also set the ISO to AUTO, & the camera did the rest. So once set, it was pretty much like shooting in auto. Set it, & forget it.

That's basically what I did, but I think I set ISO to 400 or 800 and shutter to 1/125 (in shutter priority mode). Then I didn't have to touch the settings again really.

On the F70 I couldnt even figure out how to set the shutter speed. For someone that has no idea about any of that stuff, they dont make it easy. There's nothing in the manuals that even explains it or anything. I dont know what any of those numbers mean or where on the camera to go to set it, or even how to set it. I've tried to look online to educate myself but none of it makes sense to me. I want so bad to be able to take awesome pictures but I just dont think I have the patience.

On the F70 I couldnt even figure out how to set the shutter speed. For someone that has no idea about any of that stuff, they dont make it easy. There's nothing in the manuals that even explains it or anything. I dont know what any of those numbers mean or where on the camera to go to set it, or even how to set it. I've tried to look online to educate myself but none of it makes sense to me. I want so bad to be able to take awesome pictures but I just dont think I have the patience.

Maybe Fujis are harder to use. It's real simple on Canons. It takes a few minutes of practice maybe. I find the built-in scene modes to be more confusing personally - it seems like a guessing game as to what settings the camera will use, and they are seldom optimal.

What do you guys think of Kodak Z950. The price should come down a good deal by next summer. It has 10x zoom and the Kodak pics I saw earlier in another thread look great. It's a little bulky, but I can deal with that. My Sd780 pics were a huge disappointment.

I had the Kodak model below that one (and have since returned it). I'll get a new compact before the next leg.

I'm happy with the Kodak results, and it's real simple to use-

4017781651_bbe7ff5fec.jpg

That's basically what I did, but I think I set ISO to 400 or 800 and shutter to 1/125 (in shutter priority mode). Then I didn't have to touch the settings again really.

mhh I used ISO 200 and 1/60 or 1/100 most of the time. I think it worked well at the beginning of the show. At the end there were more lights and it was hard to get some decent shots.

I have a Canon but I also tried a Fuji and a Panasonic (both were digital bridge cameras). The Panasonic is ok, but the manuals are very confusing. But I think, when your first camera was a Canon, pretty much every other brand is a bit confusing LOL! And the results with Fuji didn't convince me at all. So, I would go with a Canon again, cause you have to change the settings a few times during a concert (or bad light conditions in general), so you should be able to find the right settings instantly.

mhh I used ISO 200 and 1/60 or 1/100 most of the time.

Those are basically the same settings in terms of exposure as what I am using. I'd rather have the safety of using 1/125+ unless everyone is still. Most pro concert photographers use ISO 400 and up.

Those are basically the same settings in terms of exposure as what I am using. I'd rather have the safety of using 1/125+ unless everyone is still. Most pro concert photographers use ISO 400 and up.

My pictures always turn out too dark if I use 1/125. (I think I have never ever used more than that). yup it would be nice to use ISO 400. I tried that only once or twice but the quality is really :down:.

My pictures always turn out too dark if I use 1/125. (I think I have never ever used more than that). yup it would be nice to use ISO 400. I tried that only once or twice but the quality is really :down:.

It depends on the camera - compacts usually have bad high ISO. The newer models (last year or so) have greatly improved ISO 400. With my Canon 5d mark2 dslr, I feel comfortable going to ISO 3200. 1/60 is brings camera shake and motion blur into play, so I avoid that slow a speed.

It depends on the camera - compacts usually have bad high ISO. The newer models (last year or so) have greatly improved ISO 400. With my Canon 5d mark2 dslr, I feel comfortable going to ISO 3200. 1/60 is brings camera shake and motion blur into play, so I avoid that slow a speed.

yes, actually my camera is an old model. I have it 1,5 years now, but when I bought it was already a model from last year. So I got it cheaper, 200€. Sometimes this camera freaks me out, cause you can't really use the auto mode, and you need to use all settings to full capacity to get an ok shot, which sucks cause the motif could be already gone or the light changed again while you're still figuring out what you need to use. When comparing it with a better bridge camera (those with a super zoom you can't use anyway), I feel like it's not really worth it buying a new one. Ok, the pictures are a bit clearer and it's easier to use because you can change the ISO settings more often but they're often a lot pricier than those pocket size cameras. I would rather spend a few bucks more on a beginner slr with a nice lens.

^Auto mode isn't meant for moving subjects anyway. After I set up my camera, I don't have to change ISO or anything else during the show, unless the stage goes pretty dark, in which case I avoid taking shots. My ISO 400 pic on the previous page has low noise (it was taken with a 2009 model Kodak compact). d. darroch mentioned the same thing too about not having to change settings.

^ I had to have a go at Ultraviolet though. Bad lighting, engulfed in smoke, but that laser suit was just TOO COOL! Results weren't too good, but I must say they were interesting.

Ultraviolet

^ I had to have a go at Ultraviolet though. Bad lighting, engulfed in smoke, but that laser suit was just TOO COOL! Results weren't too good, but I must say they were interesting.

Oh yes! I have to explain those pix to everyone, but they're so...pretty! Have you figured a setting that'll give you the lasers? Mine came out all purple and red but the thin laser lights were lost. I noticed on the RB show they didn't capture it too well either, so I don't feel too bad.

So if I buy a Canon SX120 will you guys help me with the manual settings? :flirt:

The S90 looks nice, but out of my price range. :(

I just got the SX120 for christmas-so far I like it! I have a Nikon N60 so I have SOME experience with manual settings but I am still learning. I have found that reading up on photography (I have used Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson) definitely helps (as does just fooling around with the camera)!

I've tried to read up on it but I get overwhelmed. I am going to keep on it though. But if anyone wants to just throw some numbers out there as far as shutter and aperture and what not for manual concert settings that would help me out to start. I'm already taking some notes from this thread. I just have a tendency to get frustrated and give up but I'm going to give it a go again (and pass on the A2000 since it doesnt have manual settings).

Like what is the difference between manual, P, AV, TV etc. and is manual the best setting for concerts? I've already learned that auto mode only produces blurry pictures.

I've tried to read up on it but I get overwhelmed. I am going to keep on it though. But if anyone wants to just throw some numbers out there as far as shutter and aperture and what not for manual concert settings that would help me out to start. I'm already taking some notes from this thread. I just have a tendency to get frustrated and give up but I'm going to give it a go again (and pass on the A2000 since it doesnt have manual settings).

Like what is the difference between manual, P, AV, TV etc. and is manual the best setting for concerts? I've already learned that auto mode only produces blurry pictures.

Sicy, YMMV but I only shoot manual if I'm at a gig. For ideas on exposure/shutter speeds and all that stuff, I suggest browsing on flickr for shots you like and checking out their 'more information' links.

For example:

Flickr: More detail about

That'll let you see the exact settings used and give you an idea of what settings produce the shots you feel drawn to.

Tv=time value or shutter priority. I use that mostly for standard show lighting - e.g. my prior pic had 1/125s and ISO 400, with the camera calculating the aperture. I think 90%+ of my shots had those settings. Songs with darker lighting require bumping up ISO (e.g. 3200 for Ultraviolet). But I shoot mainly when the lights are bright.

So on TV you only have to worry about setting the shutter speed and ISO and the camera does the rest? For a newbie is this the mode you'd recommend to start with for shows?

Tv=time value or shutter priority. I use that mostly for standard show lighting - e.g. my prior pic had 1/125s and ISO 400, with the camera calculating the aperture. I think 90%+ of my shots had those settings. Songs with darker lighting require bumping up ISO (e.g. 3200 for Ultraviolet). But I shoot mainly when the lights are bright.

So, are you selecting an iso of 400 or 800 for concerts, and a shutter speed of 125 and leaving it there?
I keep playing with the settings to do as little as possible to set up a shot so i can enjoy the music. i just went to a concert, and I'm not sure what the heck i did, but it made shutter speeds go to 1/10!!! which of course means nothing but blur! and iso of 200.
I had practically the same settings for prior concerts, but those were at iso 640-800 and shutter speeds of around 1/60-1/100.
I used Program mode, chose HI iso on my Canon G10, no flash, but I think I put it on 'overexposed' 1 stop and maybe that's what kept the shutter open so long?
or maybe there's something wrong with my sensor? One thing I have noticed is a small red pixel showing up in some not all of my photos. I edit it out, but am wondering if something is up with the sensor, when it defaults to 200 iso, and shutter speeds of 1/10 or 1/15
i'm trying to figure out if it needs to go back to Canon-they can take a couple months to get something back to you and i have shows coming up

Back
Top Bottom