good Cameras for the new Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope it's not the case, but it's looking less likely either the new Canon S90 or G11 will be available in time for any of the remaining U2 shows this leg. I have a G11 on preorder with Best Buy. Their website still shows a 10/11 release date, but I've been seeing on other sites like Newegg a new release date of 10/31. Someone who called Canon a few days ago was told 10/31 for the G11. Newegg shows 10/31 for the S90 as well. And Amazon.com just cancelled all S90 preorders within the last couple days with no release date given. If the release dates have been pushed back, I'll probably cancel my preorder and either stick with my current Canon SD700 IS or find another compact camera already available that takes good photos in low light. I was really hoping to get the G11 in time for the shows as they've made improvements to the low-light capability over the previous G10. And I like that they've gone back to a flip-out LCD. Nice to have when you have to hold the camera high above the heads in front of you.

I hope it's not the case, but it's looking less likely either the new Canon S90 or G11 will be available in time for any of the remaining U2 shows this leg. I have a G11 on preorder with Best Buy. Their website still shows a 10/11 release date, but I've been seeing on other sites like Newegg a new release date of 10/31. Someone who called Canon a few days ago was told 10/31 for the G11. Newegg shows 10/31 for the S90 as well. And Amazon.com just cancelled all S90 preorders within the last couple days with no release date given. If the release dates have been pushed back, I'll probably cancel my preorder and either stick with my current Canon SD700 IS or find another compact camera already available that takes good photos in low light. I was really hoping to get the G11 in time for the shows as they've made improvements to the low-light capability over the previous G10. And I like that they've gone back to a flip-out LCD. Nice to have when you have to hold the camera high above the heads in front of you.

Thanks for the info U2ITNOL. Yeah, I'd noticed the link for the Amazon S90 pre-order wasn't working anymore. To complicate matters for me, I don't arrive in the US until 2 days before the Phoenix show. So I won't be ordering online, it'd be a walk-in job into a shop. Don't like my chances, but I'm praying. Guess I may be enjoying this musical & visual spectacular without a camera to distract me.

Thanks for the info U2ITNOL. Yeah, I'd noticed the link for the Amazon S90 pre-order wasn't working anymore. To complicate matters for me, I don't arrive in the US until 2 days before the Phoenix show. So I won't be ordering online, it'd be a walk-in job into a shop. Don't like my chances, but I'm praying. Guess I may be enjoying this musical & visual spectacular without a camera to distract me.

Best Buy would probably be the best store to check for the S90 once you get into Phoenix. At BestBuy.com you can check which stores in an area have an item in stock. I'm feeling a lot better about having the G11 in time for the Phoenix and Vegas shows. TigerDirect is receiving their shipment of 200 Canon G11's on October 1st, ten days before Best Buy is expecting theirs. I cancelled my Best Buy G11 pre-order and placed a order for one from TigerDirect. Getting it extra early will give me a chance to practice taking photos in low-light and determine the best settings before the U2 concert.

I have previously used a crappy Sony DSC-P200 for pictures. That was my 1st digital camera.

Then I did some research.....and found out that for a point and shoot, one of the best lowlight cameras out there is the Fujifilm Finepix F31 or F31d of F30. They have been discontinued, but I managed to get one just in time for the Toronto dates.

Here are pictures from the front row.

Mark Baker's Photos - U2 360 Tour - Toronto Sept 16th | Facebook

8223_278037270446_512545446_8842097_8232029_n.jpg

Having said that....I wanted the Canon G11......

But managed to get a Canon G10 for cheap on ebay. I'm still learning the camera....but I love it. I have a point and shoot for concerts...and a "real" camera for concerts and other things.

I'm envious of the peeps who are getting the G11.

DPreview.com now has online sample galleries for both the new Canon S90 and Powershot G11 digital cameras coming out in the next week or two. The high ISO photos taken by both cameras look pretty darn impressive to me. I don't think anyone could go wrong buying either camera for taking photos at U2 shows. I ended up choosing the G11 for the extra zoom and swivel LCD screen.

Canon G11 Gallery
Canon G11 Preview Samples Gallery: Digital Photography Review

Canon S90 Gallery
Canon PowerShot S90 Preview Samples Gallery: Digital Photography Review

I tried searching this but had no luck- does anyone have a Sony Cybershot (can't remember model # off hand)? I just acquired one; it's not the best, but it's definitely an upgrade from the disposables I've used the last two tours! Anyway, just looking for suggestions as far as which particular settings might work best in a concert setting

Best Buy 10% off coupon

Best Buy would probably be the best store to check for the S90 once you get into Phoenix. At BestBuy.com you can check which stores in an area have an item in stock. I'm feeling a lot better about having the G11 in time for the Phoenix and Vegas shows. TigerDirect is receiving their shipment of 200 Canon G11's on October 1st, ten days before Best Buy is expecting theirs. I cancelled my Best Buy G11 pre-order and placed a order for one from TigerDirect. Getting it extra early will give me a chance to practice taking photos in low-light and determine the best settings before the U2 concert.

Thanks U2ITNOL. Have you got the G11 yet? I've seen posts on dpreview.com, & it looks like people are now getting the G11 & S90 in Best Buy :applaud: Hope there's still some in stock by the time I get over there :pray:

If you haven't bought the camera yet, here's something on dpreview that may be useful.

"For U.S.A. Best Buy customers -- there is a Best Buy 10% off coupon (retail price) available, the USPS puts it into their 'Mover's Guide' packet that you can get at the post office and other locations, reproductions can also be found online.

Applies to cameras $249 and up."

Here's a link for the coupon I found, http://www.mommysavesbig.com/printable-coupons/10-best-buy.pdf

Now start practicing those low-light shots! Wish I could do the same

I tried searching this but had no luck- does anyone have a Sony Cybershot (can't remember model # off hand)? I just acquired one; it's not the best, but it's definitely an upgrade from the disposables I've used the last two tours! Anyway, just looking for suggestions as far as which particular settings might work best in a concert setting

Hey Justin, I'm definitely no expert, but I'll try to help. You've kinda got to give a bit more information. Is the camera just a basic point & shoot, or is it more a prosumer model, with a higher quality lens & sensor, & more advanced features. I suppose the main thing we need to know is, does the camera have manual controls?

If so, you'll be able to adjust the shutter speed, aperture & ISO. If not you'll have to use a SCENE mode, to get some control over the camera.

If you have manual controls, you'll want quite a fast shutter speed. 1/focal length, or quicker! ie when you're zoomed out at 35mm you want 1/35sec, or faster. When you zoom in, you need a faster shutter speed to restrict blur. So say for 150mm, you'll want to be 1/150sec, or faster. Most of the guys here (who'd know way more about photography than me), have been saying go a bit faster than this, so at 35mm use something like 1/100sec. Also make sure you're using image stabilisation (if your camera has it), to reduce blur.

As you reduce the shutter speed, less light will hit the cameras sensor, so the camera will have to increase its sensitivity (ISO). Don't use a super-fast shutter speed, or you'll need a very high ISO to get the correct exposure. Most P & S cameras give very poor results at high ISO, due to the small sensor size. So don't go too overboard on a fast shutter speed, or the pictures will be very noisey. I'd say 1/100sec at 35mm, & 1/200sec at 200mm.

As for ISO, you should really have a play with your camera in low light. Some cameras won't perform well over 200, others you may get respectable results at 400, & if you're very luck your camera may give ok shots at 800. Only a few newer prosumer compacts (the g11, s90, lx3), with larger sensors give good results above this level (along with fuji's 'way ahead of their time' Finepix F30 series). So have a play around, & set the ISO as high as you feel comfortable with noise levels. You can use noise reduction software (noise ninja is free), to reduce noise levels quite dramatically, but this also softens the pictures a fair bit.

If your camera's got no manual controls, you'll have to use a scene mode that gives a short shutter time, so the images aren't blurred. Something like sports, or kids/pets. You may, or may not be able to set the ISO.

Me, I'm hoping to have the S90 before my 1st show (see ya at Phoenix). I haven't had a manual camera before, but am probably going to use shutter priority, set at 1/120sec (28mm-105mm focal length). I'll keep it at the wide end of the lens mainly (not mad about zooming), so I can use a large aperture, & will probably shoot between 200-800 ISO. Wish I could have some time to practice.

Any other advice (from someone who, unlike myself, has actually taken some concert shots using manual controls) would be greatly appreciated.

ok, time to go watch some cricket :D

Gladi found this thread. Very helpful. I have the canon g10 and have taken it to a few concerts and if I'm close enough have gotten some amazing shots. I set a custom setting so I don't have to fumble during a concert. But I want to play aroundmore with doingsettings quickly without missing a shot.
I use a setting of no flash, using "p" dial as priority. It sets the shutter speed and iso automatically depending on available light. I put the iso go auto or auto high which detects motion better and reduces blur but have to be careful it dies kick up the iso automatically or there may be too much noise.
Maybe I'll try a setting of 400 iso, no flash, and fast shutter speed. I have a concert this Saturday-not u2- and will try it. Not planning on being up close to the stage though. There's only certain bands I'll do ga all day for. U2 being one if them :).
My photos are at www. Flicker.com. Kasalexis is the screen name. Ck out daughtry, lifehouse in Dothan, al and nickelback, hinder etc photos. The light was very good. Love my g10!!

Can anyone recommend a better faster memory card for my g10? I use a standard sd 8 gig card. Holds a lot. Maybe I'll pop over to the camera place by work today

If you have manual controls, you'll want quite a fast shutter speed. 1/focal length, or quicker! ie when you're zoomed out at 35mm you want 1/35sec, or faster. When you zoom in, you need a faster shutter speed to restrict blur. So say for 150mm, you'll want to be 1/150sec, or faster. Most of the guys here (who'd know way more about photography than me), have been saying go a bit faster than this, so at 35mm use something like 1/100sec. Also make sure you're using image stabilisation (if your camera has it), to reduce blur.

That shutter speed rule applies more when there is no optical IS. With optical IS (in compacts), it's possible to use slower shutter speeds when zoomed in a lot (e.g. 200-300mm equivalent).

I bought the Canon G11 last week at Best Buy. Lovin' this little camera! It takes awesome photos in low light. Last night I took the G11 to a Chris Daughtry concert in Tempe for a trial run before the U2 shows next week. Now this concert took place in a small 1,000 capacity venue with stage lighting nowhere close to the lighting at U2's shows. I had the camera set to manual mode at ISO 800 and was able to get very clean photos like these..

680516671_jbmqm-L.jpg

680521688_hGeRy-L.jpg

680524733_kGMcb-L.jpg

Full gallery at Daughtry - 2009-10-13 - desertsky's Photos

As you can see, images are very clean at ISO 800 with hardly any noise. My previous Canon SD700 IS P&S camera could not have taken these photos. Most would have turned out blurry and extremely grainy having to shoot at high ISO. The photos I'll be taking at the U2 shows in Glendale and Vegas should look even better than the ones last night as there'll be better lighting.

Couple ISO 800 from the DSLR. More smoke to shoot through there. Also more light changes.

Awesome shots!! How did you manage to get a DSLR into the concert? I have a Canon 40D. I would rather take that camera to the shows next week but will play it safe and take the new Canon G11 instead.

I have the g10 and set up a custom settings I just flip the dial to.
I have no flash, but leave the iso on auto or auto high.
I used the porogram setting so shutter speed adjusts with the ever changing light.
Usually I see the camera use 400 iso when it does it automatically.
I avoided manual setting bc I don't want to fumble with settings while I enjoy the concert.
Will I get better results with manual mode? What setting do you have it on?
F 2.8? I think that's the lowest setting for aptre on the g10.
I'll be in Vegas too! Watch the spotlights behind and to the side bc they really screwup the sensors ability to get shutter speed right. I also took a lot of photos at a daughtry concert. I'll post a link later( on my iPhone now)
The light was better for photos at daughtry than for u2 in Boston. The smoke, spotlights, and the stage is much further away. Outside catwalk rail not close enough to get but a few shots that weren't blurred. Just not enough light reaching from the stage.

Maybe I'll manually make some settings then save those as a second " custom" settings option
any advice? Wide aperture? F2.8? Iso of 400? 800? No flash definitely
aperture priority or shutter priority?
Thx! :D

Awesome shots!! How did you manage to get a DSLR into the concert? I have a Canon 40D. I would rather take that camera to the shows next week but will play it safe and take the new Canon G11 instead.

Thanks - I guess it varies by venue on how strict they are. I mentioned that up to 3" lenses were allowed, even though they said I couldn't bring it in at first.

Maybe I'll manually make some settings then save those as a second " custom" settings option
any advice? Wide aperture? F2.8? Iso of 400? 800? No flash definitely
aperture priority or shutter priority?
Thx! :D

I'd have a custom shutter priority ready to go. I've seen some other people's good dslr shots as low as ISO 200 from the shows, but 400-800 is good. I'd also shoot RAW - lots of show photos I've seen have blown highlights (especially on faces).

Thanks - I guess it varies by venue on how strict they are. I mentioned that up to 3" lenses were allowed, even though they said I couldn't bring it in at first.

I'd have a custom shutter priority ready to go. I've seen some other people's good dslr shots as low as ISO 200 from the shows, but 400-800 is good. I'd also shoot RAW - lots of show photos I've seen have blown highlights (especially on faces).

Thanks! Same settings apply to shooting RAW? I haven't actually explored that mode yet:hmm:. I'd better go get another memory card too. Just picked up a Sandisk Extreme III, class 6, 8GB but I take a lot of photos. I can go back and forth between RAW, auto settings and taking video on the same card?

Thanks! Same settings apply to shooting RAW? I haven't actually explored that mode yet:hmm:. I'd better go get another memory card too. Just picked up a Sandisk Extreme III, class 6, 8GB but I take a lot of photos. I can go back and forth between RAW, auto settings and taking video on the same card?

Yes, same settings for RAW, which you can modify in post-processing to some extent. The card will hold various file types. I'd practice with RAW shooting and post-processing (in Canon DPP) first.

Canon SD880 IS, ISO 400

Amsterdam II - Front Row, Center

oftv2x.jpg

Dublin III - Back Rail, Center

33mo5l1.jpg

Gelsenkirchen, Germany - Outer Rail, Center

34g9f86.jpg

Chorzow, Poland - Outer Rail, Adam's Side

kc553.jpg

Zagreb I - Inner Circle, 12th Row, Far Edge Side

k9babp.jpg

London I - Front Row, Center

2ekql2d.jpg

I bought the Canon G11 last week at Best Buy. Lovin' this little camera! It takes awesome photos in low light. Last night I took the G11 to a Chris Daughtry concert in Tempe for a trial run before the U2 shows next week. Now this concert took place in a small 1,000 capacity venue with stage lighting nowhere close to the lighting at U2's shows. I had the camera set to manual mode at ISO 800 and was able to get very clean photos like these..

680516671_jbmqm-L.jpg

680521688_hGeRy-L.jpg

680524733_kGMcb-L.jpg

Full gallery at Daughtry - 2009-10-13 - desertsky's Photos

As you can see, images are very clean at ISO 800 with hardly any noise. My previous Canon SD700 IS P&S camera could not have taken these photos. Most would have turned out blurry and extremely grainy having to shoot at high ISO. The photos I'll be taking at the U2 shows in Glendale and Vegas should look even better than the ones last night as there'll be better lighting.

Here's the link to my Daughtry photos. I set it to auto for iso and shutter speed, so they differ depending on the photo. A couple are at iso 200, then closer ones at iso 800. This is with the G10
Daughtry at Showcase live, Foxboro, MA - a set on Flickr

Here's the link to ones I took of first, Saving Abel, Papa Roach, Hinder and then Nickelback. Saving Abel came out kind of lousy. Better with Papa Roach & Hinder then Nickelback. I shot in jpeg fformat, and did no pos-processing to these, so They could probably look better than they do, but here's what it does with regular camera-processed jpgs.
I have to play with the settings more :)
Nickelback 7/24/09 - a set on Flickr

I got some REALLY nice photos last night in Glendale from the outer rail with the new Canon G11. I'll try to get them posted soon. I'm headed to Vegas tomorrow, so it may not be until early next week after I get back and finally have the time to crop and retouch photos. I'm wishing though I had brought my Canon 40D last night instead of the G11. They were allowing DSLR's at the Glendale show last night with zoom lenses up to 8 inches! arghhh.... Well, I'm going to bring both the 40D and G11 to Vegas and hope they'll have the same policy allowing DSLR's.

I think the most important thing in any camera is adjustable manual settings-- you need to be able to control your shutter speed and aperture settings, as well as how you're metering, etc. Especially at a U2 show where the lights can change pretty dramatically. Even if it's not a top of the line camera, with those options you should be able to control the situation enough to get good results.

Last tour I had a fairly cheap (we're talking 100 dollars) camera- a Minolta Z1. 3.1 MP, not the fanciest, but it had a great zoom and manual settings, and I loved it to death:

14595053_ec1df70dee.jpg

Five years later, it's died, and I've moved on to the Panasonic Lumix line. Really pleased with the results so far, though I haven't yet uploaded more than a couple of shots.

I do like that it allows for a very simple straight shot:

4031845991_6f59eea73f.jpg

And also can be manipulated to give a little more, uh, atmosphere, maybe? I'm not sure how to describe it.

3929819728_616f47cac8.jpg

Really though, thank God for a band that has lighting you don't have to hunt around on your hands and knees for.

Just picked up a Fujifilm Finepix F70 EXR. Anybody have any recommendations for settings?

i shelled out over 200 for a Canon SD780 so I could get HD video. The video is nice, but the lack of zoom is a hinderence. But what's worse is that it takes crappy photos. I've increased the ISO and messed around with some of the night conditions. Anyone familiar with this camera able to give some suggestions on how to take decent shots. I'm hardly a photographer.

i shelled out over 200 for a Canon SD780 so I could get HD video. The video is nice, but the lack of zoom is a hinderence. But what's worse is that it takes crappy photos. I've increased the ISO and messed around with some of the night conditions. Anyone familiar with this camera able to give some suggestions on how to take decent shots. I'm hardly a photographer.

You may want to hack the firmware of the camera and see if you can unlock the zoom while videotaping..

CHDK Wiki

Edited to add: CHDK is NOT ported to the SD780 yet, there's NO CHDK version available !

What do you guys think of Kodak Z950. The price should come down a good deal by next summer. It has 10x zoom and the Kodak pics I saw earlier in another thread look great. It's a little bulky, but I can deal with that. My Sd780 pics were a huge disappointment.

I think the most important thing in any camera is adjustable manual settings-- you need to be able to control your shutter speed and aperture settings, as well as how you're metering, etc. Especially at a U2 show where the lights can change pretty dramatically. Even if it's not a top of the line camera, with those options you should be able to control the situation enough to get good results.

Last tour I had a fairly cheap (we're talking 100 dollars) camera- a Minolta Z1. 3.1 MP, not the fanciest, but it had a great zoom and manual settings, and I loved it to death:

14595053_ec1df70dee.jpg

Five years later, it's died, and I've moved on to the Panasonic Lumix line. Really pleased with the results so far, though I haven't yet uploaded more than a couple of shots.

I do like that it allows for a very simple straight shot:

4031845991_6f59eea73f.jpg

And also can be manipulated to give a little more, uh, atmosphere, maybe? I'm not sure how to describe it.

3929819728_616f47cac8.jpg

Really though, thank God for a band that has lighting you don't have to hunt around on your hands and knees for.

very nice!!! And I agree with everything you said! :up::up:

Back
Top Bottom