good Cameras for the new Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, for both. I wouldn't ever use the flash on my DSLRs either.
Agree on this flashlight is ugly light anyway. There is enough light anyway, especcially when you make up with ISO settings.

I've never taken a DSLR to a concert, didn't have one last tour. But the point is that you shouldn't use flash. A DSLR is not going to make a difference. Pop-up flash is not what you want for concert pics.

I am bringing my DSLR that will be in my backpack to Croke . I hope I am able to get it in with no problem. I will not have a telephoto lens just the standard EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS Lens.

I hope you hide it good, becuase that isn't allowed officially.

Correct, and even if you are that close, the native flash on a cheaper camera is only going to totally flood whatever is in front of you and still make it a crappy pic.

For concerts you need a higher ISO to use a faster shutter speed. On Vertigo I think I used ISO 400 (I was using a point and shoot so ISO was limited...some DSLRs perform really well at much higher ISOs, 3200, 6400...) and a shutter speed of 1/40 or 1/60 which still is not very fast but I used it when I knew Bono would be holding still and the stage lighting was working in my favor.

Also, a little post-processing goes a long way.

These were taken with a camera that is basically now obsolete

455272848_a002bbc77a_o.jpg

455286661_18677355dc.jpg

455286687_c30c6778ef.jpg

455287009_e7418dd2ff.jpg

455273376_ddd42d5bd8.jpg

455273028_7b79669d26.jpg

455287035_a525650002.jpg

455273310_0b1d50049f.jpg

Standard rule is that shutter speed needs to be 1/zoom or faster for image to be in focus assuming enough light is available. So if you're shooting at 200mm focal length, shutter speed will need to be at least 1/200 for in focus shots. Does not take into account image stabilization features in cams, etc.

awesome pics, btw.

I just bought that camera - known as the ZS3 in the States. Can't wait to try it out in Chicago. Last tour I used a Canon S2IS and G7. Both worked extremely well. For those cameras I used "Program" mode and set my shutter speed to 1/40 - 1/60, ISO at 400, and flash off. I'll be spending time leading up to the concert figuring out the best settings for the ZS3.

I have a question about the ZS3 if anyone can help. I have been looking to buy a new camera before I see some shows this fall and have basically narrowed it down to the Panasonic ZS3 and the Canon XS200 IS. I am leaning toward the Panasonic but I keep seeing as the main drawback is the the camera has little or no manual mode, meaning you cannot adjust the variables such as ISO, focus, etc. As someone that has one, could you please post your opinion on the camera.

I know little to nothing about cameras and was wondering if anyone had an opinion about either or these, especially those that might have one of these models.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Is the regular 18:55 lens more or less than a "1¹¹ Lens".

Please help me... Then I rather won't bring that camera to Croke Oark

Is the regular 18:55 lens more or less than a "1¹¹ Lens".

Please help me... Then I rather won't bring that camera to Croke Oark

I got the same email, I have no idea what "1¹¹" means. Do they mean 1 inch?

I'm seriously considering bringing my 5DII; 24-70mm f/2.8 + U2 = Greatness.

I don't know. But I do know that the 18-55 is one of the smallest lenses available, I don't think zoom lenses get smaller than that actually.
By the way, get a new lens.
You will start enjoying photography much more if you do.

Oh, and just to support Liesje - don't use a flash when the stage is already giving you much better, consistent, and beautiful lightning.

I don't see why an 18-55 would be a problem. Most people bringing point and shoots have 10x + optical ranges. Not sure precisely what that translates to but I know it's a LOT more than 55mm. The point and shoot I used 4 years ago zoomed in farther than my 55-200mm lens and that's really the only lens I use on my DSLR these days (don't have a better zoom than that and want to get a nice 50mm portrait lens but wouldn't be that helpful for a concert if I'm not in the front).

The other night I was seeing a band that shall not be named :shifty: to try out my new Canon PowershotSX110. We were in the 2nd row of GA. I did a few with a pretty high ISO and some in the kids/pets mode and wouldn't you know it - the ones that turned out best were using the 'auto' setting with the flash on! Because we were so close, the flash actually enhanced the lighting without washing out any of the cool colors. Crazy.

They where pretty tight in Amsterdam , left it in car, good choice , but a big bummer for me.

The first night I decided not to bring it because I wanted to see how the security was. When I discovered it was pretty much non-existent in terms of looking through bags, I decided to go for it the second night and made it in with no problems.

No cameras for soldier field!

I apologize for shouting, but I'm furious right now. I just spoke with two people at Soldier Field (the number is on their website or PM me for it) and they are saying that NO CAMERAS will be permitted at the concerts on Sept 12th and 13th.:sad:
They kept claiming they'd 'posted the rules' but could tell me neither where nor when.
PLEASE, if you are attending either concert, please call them and give them a piece of your mind. Remember, politeness will help!

Thanks.

Birdlover

^ I think that is probably the worst thing anyone could possibly do. It just draws unnecessary heat/attention to the U2 dates and makes U2 fans look like crazies. If you call customer service of any venue months before a show, they have no choice but to repeat the 'official stance' of the venue, which is a blanket rule for all venues/all acts. U2 has rarely stopped anyone from taking pics, recording shows, or even videotaping.

Personally I was stopped in Buffalo for trying to take in a full SLR (just returned it to the car). In Montreal, I made it inside with a full DVD camcorder but then 5 songs into the show had it confiscated and returned after the show.

I take my camera but I don't bother much with pics anymore, there are just way too many people taking pics (like good friends who get them autographed also *ahem*) so I just have mine in case an incredibly special moment happens or we meet the band or something. Otherwise, I want to enjoy the show, and let others document it.

I apologize for shouting, but I'm furious right now. I just spoke with two people at Soldier Field (the number is on their website or PM me for it) and they are saying that NO CAMERAS will be permitted at the concerts on Sept 12th and 13th.:sad:
They kept claiming they'd 'posted the rules' but could tell me neither where nor when.
PLEASE, if you are attending either concert, please call them and give them a piece of your mind. Remember, politeness will help!

Thanks.

Birdlover

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. I think they did this on the last tour and I brought my camera anyways.

Official policy at Soldier Field

^ I think that is probably the worst thing anyone could possibly do. It just draws unnecessary heat/attention to the U2 dates and makes U2 fans look like crazies. If you call customer service of any venue months before a show, they have no choice but to repeat the 'official stance' of the venue, which is a blanket rule for all venues/all acts. U2 has rarely stopped anyone from taking pics, recording shows, or even videotaping.

Maybe most venues don't allow cameras, but on Soldier Field's website they say that cameras with lenses less than 6" would be allowed. So this is their normal policy and they say they are changing it for U2. Doesn't make sense to me.
I bought a $200 camera because of this posted policy that was repeated by U2.com! I am on disability and this is a lot of money for me. So forgive me if I'm upset.

By calling the venue now, we are giving them a chance to change it back to what they still have posted on their site. There is no notice anywhere I've looked saying that cameras aren't permitted. It's allowing them to save face, and fans to plan accordingly.

Birdlover

Yeah last time I was walking to the venue with my camera in my hand and some security officer came over and insisted I put it back. I refused because I was going to take pics w/ friends who were in the GA line. But I ended up walking in with it and taking pics during the show. :shrug:

For those of you who have been to a show already...

I will be going to the 1st Giants Stadium show in about a month. I want to take pictures and some video of the show and I want to know what camera people would recommend. I have watched some unreal clips on youtube and no doubt a lot of people here have taken some great pics. Im looking for something compact/small in a price range under $500, any suggestions?

Taking Good Videos At Concerts

On the Vertigo Tour, I took a few videos of the concerts I attended. While they came out fine visually, the sound was not that great. On playback, the bass is too loud to the point where you can't really here much else.

I was just wondering, is there any way to correct this? Do some digital cameras have an option to turn down how much bass the mic records? I've seen tons of videos on You Tube where the audio is good, so there is either a way to fix this problem, or it simply comes down to the quality of the camera. Speaking of which, my digital camera is a Canon Proshot A530.

Thank you for any help!

I'm really tempted to bring my DSLR to Gillette since the policy says detachable lenses are allowed... but my point and shoot has more megapixels and HD video... :hmm:

The Camera search may be over - hope it arrives in time

My camera search may be over.

I wanted something a cut above an average p & s. The Canon G9, 10 & now 11, look pretty cool, but they're a bit big & bulky for me. As are all the ultrazooms. Anyway, I've already got an interesting 10x zoom camera, a Nikon S10. But it takes very noisey shots in low light, so won't make an appearance at a U2 show.

I really liked the look of the Panasomic Lumix DMC-LX3, the best low light performer among compacts. Heaps of manual control. Plus it's got a very large aperture f/2.0 to f/2.8 for a compact, to allow plenty of light in, a large sensor at 1/1.63", & at 10MP, doesn't go overboard on the megapixel count. Only problem is the zoom. Wide angle is 24mm, which is great, get in more of the CLAW from close up. But the telephoto end is only 60mm (x2.5 zoom). I hope to be nice & close, so I'm not looking for an ultrazoom, but 2.5x is very limiting. Was a bit bummed, because, other than the zoom range, this camera looked idea.

But now there's a new contender on the market. Canon's Powershot S90! Very similar specs to the Lumix DMC-LX3 (it's main rival for the prosumer compact crown - if you don't consider the G11 a true compact). They're both about 1/2 the size of the G11, have large sensors (1/1.7" for the S90), fast lenses (aperture range of f/2.0 to f/4.9 for the S90), both are 10MP. But the S90 has one major advantage, the telephoto end of the zoom is 105mm (x3.8 zoom), not quite as limiting as the LX3.

The S90's just now being released in the states, so I hope I'm able to pick one up before my 1st show in Phoenix, in one months time. Wish me luck :wink:

Back
Top Bottom