good Cameras for the new Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My camera's got 12x optical zoom and 4x digital zoom.
I was in front of the stage in the last line of the inner circle (at the fence).
I have marked my location on the picture below:
icw-U2-1.jpg

I have shot some photos during the space chat and during one otrhe song (I didn't won't to spoil the concert feeling). I also filmed only 1 song (my least favourite from NLOTH on the setlist, but now as I watch the video, I love it more and more).

I had some problems with the strong lights, which caused that the band's faces were too bright and flashy, so the light was really important.

Yesterday I read that point and shoot cameras are allowed. Since I didn't know what that was, I checked it out and found out that my camera is among them. But still, you might never know what kind of a security guy you meet.

Canon Powershot SX10?

I am going to go to the 10/9 Tampa show. Last tour I brought a small digital camera and had no problems bringing it in. Now I have a Canon Powershot SX10, it i'snt a SLR but it is bulky, it has a 20x zoom.

anybody know if they are strict at Raymond James Stadium?

any suggestions?

FWIW, if your camera has digitial zoom, I recommend turning it off. It actually makes the picture look worse than taking one without it and cropping it (since that's all digital zoom is). Stick with the optical, especially with the low light already creating noise.

Some of these pictures posted look great. I'm wondering about using the Flash specifically. Is the rule of thumb that unless you are shooting somethhing within 10 feet of you, turn the flash OFF? If thats the case, i assume every single person would not be using their flash unless you happen to be dead centre front row.

Without the flash, its quite hard to get a moving shot that is not blurry, correct? But shots on here look really clear?

If someone could could explain what to do to solve this one issue, that would be great

Some of these pictures posted look great. I'm wondering about using the Flash specifically. Is the rule of thumb that unless you are shooting somethhing within 10 feet of you, turn the flash OFF? If thats the case, i assume every single person would not be using their flash unless you happen to be dead centre front row.

Without the flash, its quite hard to get a moving shot that is not blurry, correct? But shots on here look really clear?

If someone could could explain what to do to solve this one issue, that would be great

If your camera has a 'kids and pets' setting that'll help. And if you can change the "ISO" on it, set it to something very high - that mimics having a higher speed "film".

My camera's got 12x optical zoom and 4x digital zoom.
I was in front of the stage in the last line of the inner circle (at the fence).
I have marked my location on the picture below:
icw-U2-1.jpg

I have shot some photos during the space chat and during one otrhe song (I didn't won't to spoil the concert feeling). I also filmed only 1 song (my least favourite from NLOTH on the setlist, but now as I watch the video, I love it more and more)..

Can you post your pics so we can see what your 12x optical zoom looks like from where you were?

I bought my Canon PowerShot SX110 IS last week and have been playing with it. I'm so excited. I also bought an 8GB memory stick. :D

Panasonic Lumix T7 - This is what I want to buy!! Has stereo sound, 10x optical zoom and HD video (with zooming). Has anyone tried this model "live"??? I was going to order it over the net (much cheaper than in the stores) but it's too close to concert time now so it prob wouldn't arrive on time...

Why do I always leave things to the last moment :doh: :doh:

I've taken some cool pictures of the fan banners in San Siro with my Canon Powershot, the zoom is pretty good. I couldn't even read the banners from my spot but on the pictures they are very clear :up:

Some of these pictures posted look great. I'm wondering about using the Flash specifically. Is the rule of thumb that unless you are shooting somethhing within 10 feet of you, turn the flash OFF?

Correct, and even if you are that close, the native flash on a cheaper camera is only going to totally flood whatever is in front of you and still make it a crappy pic.

For concerts you need a higher ISO to use a faster shutter speed. On Vertigo I think I used ISO 400 (I was using a point and shoot so ISO was limited...some DSLRs perform really well at much higher ISOs, 3200, 6400...) and a shutter speed of 1/40 or 1/60 which still is not very fast but I used it when I knew Bono would be holding still and the stage lighting was working in my favor.

Also, a little post-processing goes a long way.

These were taken with a camera that is basically now obsolete

455272848_a002bbc77a_o.jpg

455286661_18677355dc.jpg

455286687_c30c6778ef.jpg

455287009_e7418dd2ff.jpg

455273376_ddd42d5bd8.jpg

455273028_7b79669d26.jpg

455287035_a525650002.jpg

455273310_0b1d50049f.jpg

Another compact camera I am considering is a shockproof/waterproof Panasonic DMC-FT1 which should be perfect for a rough n steamy GA. But it only has 4,6 optical zoom (28-128mm)....
No mater what camera I get, I'm bound to drop it sooner or later, so maybe a shockproof camera is the way to go... :hmm:

Panasonic Lumix T7 - This is what I want to buy!! Has stereo sound, 10x optical zoom and HD video (with zooming). Has anyone tried this model "live"??? I was going to order it over the net (much cheaper than in the stores) but it's too close to concert time now so it prob wouldn't arrive on time...

Why do I always leave things to the last moment :doh: :doh:

I just bought that camera - known as the ZS3 in the States. Can't wait to try it out in Chicago. Last tour I used a Canon S2IS and G7. Both worked extremely well. For those cameras I used "Program" mode and set my shutter speed to 1/40 - 1/60, ISO at 400, and flash off. I'll be spending time leading up to the concert figuring out the best settings for the ZS3.

IMG_0090scopy.jpg

web-2.jpg

web-3.jpg

I just bought that camera - known as the ZS3 in the States. Can't wait to try it out in Chicago. Last tour I used a Canon S2IS and G7. Both worked extremely well. For those cameras I used "Program" mode and set my shutter speed to 1/40 - 1/60, ISO at 400, and flash off. I'll be spending time leading up to the concert figuring out the best settings for the ZS3.

In Europe its called DMC-TZ7, and the specs look really great for a compact! Pls let us know how your photos turn out, and what you think of the camera

I used a Panasonic DMC-FZ50 for a while but was not impressed in low light. It had this annoying "noise reduction" which just made photos look more pixelated. I sold it after less than a year.

Those are great pics. I tested my Powershot out at the Phillies game on Thursday to see what ISO I should use. I used 800 and they came out good, but for the shows I'll try 400.

Lies, how do you put the watermark at the botton of your pics?

I used 1/60 on Vertigo, but after enough shows I kinda figured out when the band members were more still, when their lighting worked to my advantage. I think all of my pics were 1/60 or 1/80 (I think some might have even been 1/40). Definitely not the greatest pics, but good enough for a point-and-shoot.

Liesje, I've said it before and I'll say it again, your pictures are amazing.

Correct, and even if you are that close, the native flash on a cheaper camera is only going to totally flood whatever is in front of you and still make it a crappy pic.

For concerts you need a higher ISO to use a faster shutter speed. On Vertigo I think I used ISO 400 (I was using a point and shoot so ISO was limited...some DSLRs perform really well at much higher ISOs, 3200, 6400...) and a shutter speed of 1/40 or 1/60 which still is not very fast but I used it when I knew Bono would be holding still and the stage lighting was working in my favor.

Also, a little post-processing goes a long way.

These were taken with a camera that is basically now obsolete

455272848_a002bbc77a_o.jpg

455286661_18677355dc.jpg

455286687_c30c6778ef.jpg

455287009_e7418dd2ff.jpg

455273376_ddd42d5bd8.jpg

455273028_7b79669d26.jpg

455287035_a525650002.jpg

455273310_0b1d50049f.jpg

Very nice Lies.

yeah, the flash on my camera isn't really usable too...
most of the photos I took in milan were taken with ISO 200, the shutter speed on 1/100 ( I think you could also use something below that, but I was standing in one of the front rows and the people were pushing all the time).
I think when you have a camera with 10x zoom this is enough for concerts because of light problems. My camera is a Canon PS 720IS (bought it last year for 200€) and you can adjust everything you need for a passably photo even under difficult condition. But sometimes I wish, I had a better camera because it always takes me sometime to get all the correct settings, and then the motif is gone LOL! But I think they turned out ok, and no postprocessing was necessary.
some examples:
3721267041_e9fe16da18.jpg

3722070594_54558a2038.jpg

3722071798_6b1668137f.jpg

3721323421_7d53490029.jpg

using the zoom didn't really work out...
3721327181_c3c2507b02.jpg

Anna, your GA pictures are amazing :up:

I won't take my camera into GA in Berlin, mostly because I don't want it to get wet, but I might try it out for one of the other shows. I always tend to take too many pictures because I want to capture everything, only to find out that it's hard for me to enjoy the show, so most of the time it's better to leave the camera at home. No matter if I take the camera or don't take it, I usually always regret it :lol:

When we were up in the stands in Milan, I took some decent pictures, but I didn't bother to change any settings since it was dark and people around me were moving so much, I was scared I'll drop the camera. I only changed the batteries once, totally blindly :lol: Many pictures didn't turn out so great, mostly because the lights were too many and too bright.

The zoom of my camera really worked well with all the banners. I couldn't even read them with my own eyes, but on the pictures they turned out really clear.

Anna, your GA pictures are amazing :up:

I won't take my camera into GA in Berlin, mostly because I don't want it to get wet, but I might try it out for one of the other shows. I always tend to take too many pictures because I want to capture everything, only to find out that it's hard for me to enjoy the show, so most of the time it's better to leave the camera at home. No matter if I take the camera or don't take it, I usually always regret it :lol:

When we were up in the stands in Milan, I took some decent pictures, but I didn't bother to change any settings since it was dark and people around me were moving so much, I was scared I'll drop the camera. I only changed the batteries once, totally blindly :lol: Many pictures didn't turn out so great, mostly because the lights were too many and too bright.

The zoom of my camera really worked well with all the banners. I couldn't even read them with my own eyes, but on the pictures they turned out really clear.

Thanks! :)

yeah, I had the same problem when we were up in the stands in Milan...it was so dark and I had to change the memory card ...uh! I think I checked it twice on the way to the metro if I still have the memory card I took out! LOL!
I think you should really try out changing the settings. Your camera is better than mine. (and actually a good recommendation for those who are still searching for a good tour camera). I only take pictures when I think the light etc. is ok. The abilities of those cameras are very limited, so by and by you know if the picture will turn out well or not,so that you not even have to give it a try.

Question: So are DSLRs completely forbidden? not only in America, but in England as well? can anyone confirm this?

So what has been the consensus in this thread on what's the best point-n-shoot to get?

DSLRs are forbidden but for example in Milan they didn't check your backpacks, so there were a lot of people shooting with DSLRs.
And I dunno if we had a consensus. ;)

achtung_girl, your pics are amazing.

I'm not quite sure how to change the shutter speed on my Cannon PS 1200. Any pointers would be great

thanks laura! on my canon it's the AV mode. maybe you can select it somewhere in the menu...

Back
Top Bottom