Girls on stage during 360

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yahweh_OMG

New Yorker
Just wondering if this is really the first U2 tour ever where Bono hasn't brought any girl on stage (yet)?

If yes, why is that?

I think that it's also the first tour that they are so distant and Bono doesn't really try to be one with the audience like he used to all his life. It might be the stage setup, but this is something lacking for me this tour...

He has brought a few girls up, I think all during the first Europe leg.

I don't miss it - it became too predictable and caused way too much stinking drama among some fans. Awesome for the lucky gals who got onstage, but I for one never particularly looked forward to that part of the show.

I'm guessing the stage setup has a lot to do with it - it's a big reach to grab someone's hand or do whatever. I also wonder especially with the back issues he's had so long, if it was a little scary to reach out to touch someone and not know if they would pull on you, or cause you to lose your balance.

But as far as the girls on stage part, I'm kind of hoping he got tired of doing it, or knew it had gotten kind of old. :wink:

He had a girl up in Hannover. However, fact is that the whole "girl on stage" thing became routine and a little tired during the last tours. Bono was starting again to pull kids up on stage in 2009, but I am very glad he isn't trying to do this from the bridges any more, because it's very bad for his back. I don't mind them having fans up on stage, but the whole "girl" thing would be embarrassing giving Bono's age, it would just look silly and it is so yesterday, no need to bring it back. It's not a question of distance; you don't have to bring people on stage to overcome the distance.

Just wondering if this is really the first U2 tour ever where Bono hasn't brought any girl on stage (yet)?
No
I think that it's also the first tour that they are so distant and Bono doesn't really try to be one with the audience like he used to all his life. It might be the stage setup, but this is something lacking for me this tour...

and no...

:shrug:

:hmm: I thought it might have more to do with his back injury. I know when I saw them in Atlanta last October, he pulled a girl up onto the bridge with him during one song. I found out after the show that she posts here (Ironhorse....something like that), when she made a plea for any pictures of their hug & I sent her what I'd gotten.

Seems like he pulled up a few other girls during last year's leg, as well, but it certainly hasn't been an every show occurrence like it was at one time. Boredom, injury, safety concerns? It could be any - or none - of these reasons. :shrug:

In the first Vertigo Seattle show, he pulled up a girl and gave her a freaking piggy-back ride! It's not like she jumped on him, he was all "hey, climb on board!" We were all "Dude, don't you have a bad back?" :lol:

She was kind of lame, actually. All she wanted to do was try and get him to stand still so her friend in the audience could take a picture of them. We were all "You are DOING IT WRONG."

I later found out she was a coworker of a friend of mine. Which has nothing to do with anything, I just still giggle about that concert.

He pulled up the same girl from Barcelona in Foxboro and then I think he pulled up the three sisters at some show, but I don't remember which.

... but the whole "girl" thing would be embarrassing giving Bono's age,

What if we're closer to his age? Would that be better? :shifty: :wink:

Yeah, the bridge is scary - didn't he pull up someone or try to from the bridge at one of the shows? That is just a bad idea all around.

oh, did not know the girl thing happened too on this tour. I have seen a lot of youtube vids and never saw it happening. I guess you're right, it became a routine and it was the case at each concert. I do not miss it, though I wanted to know if it was the first tour like that....apparently not:wink:

As for the distance to the audience, I still think that, Bono in particular, is a bit more faraway and not willing to touch hands, etc... than other tours. He's got indeed good reasons (back injuries, age and stage).

Anyways, thanks for your comments.:wave:

I would agree that there's not as much of a connection, but was there that much connection between Bono and fans on previous stadium tours?

I know you'd get a girl or two on stage, and him leaning into the crowd during UTEOTW or something, on ZooTV and Popmart, but isn't it mostly the arena shows where he reaches out to touch hands (or bite people :lol: ) or whatever?

It doesn't make the show any better or worse for me to not have Bono doing that sort of thing.

As for the distance to the audience, I still think that, Bono in particular, is a bit more faraway and not willing to touch hands, etc... than other tours.

How do you figure? He touches hands all the time from the bridge or the outer stage...

I think PopMart(ironically) was the "furthest" the band felt from the audience.

What if we're closer to his age? Would that be better? :shifty: :wink:
My Magic 8-Ball sez "Yes." :giggle:

Yeah, the bridge is scary - didn't he pull up someone or try to from the bridge at one of the shows? That is just a bad idea all around.
That's what he did at the Atlanta show last year. Reached down over the bridge railing into the middle of the GA pit, to a woman who was being lifted up by her husband. Bono grabbed her hand & slipped twice, & I remember thinking "He's going to drop her or just give up on the whole idea any second." He manged to lift her up though & she climbed the rest of the way over the railing for a quick hug & slow dance. ( :drool: Sorry - I know this needs to be frowned upon, but I am still so freakin' jealous!! :reject: )

Anyway, when I talked to her after sending the pics I had, she told me that she was 'amazed' at his strength, once he finally had a good grip on her. I'm sure of one thing, though - he won't be attempting that stunt again. :no:

Maybe I should bring a sign, just in case:

"Hey! I'm only 13 years younger than you and am on the small side ... LIFT ME UP!"

:wink:

How do you figure? He touches hands all the time from the bridge or the outer stage...

I think PopMart(ironically) was the "furthest" the band felt from the audience.

I went to Wembley 1 last year and was very disappointed about the connection with the crowd, which I think is what also differs U2 from other bands.
Having seen them live every tour since 92, yeah I noticed it.
Maybe it was just 1 concert like that. I will tell you in 1 month after Zurich 1 and 2 and Coimbra :drool:

The girl he brought up at Boston 2 PICKED HIM UP like an infant and carried him around the stage. I believe it was Until The End of the World, he let her stay up for the entire song and they did a little reaching on the bridges, sorta like the Rose Bowl show with Edge, except he had to keep screaming for the bridges to get closer.

August 21, 2010
Helsinki 2

Russian woman from the front row

28klxzd.jpg

Well, if he's still doing it, I'm glad it's not at every show during the same song.

Someone tell Bono that I approve. I'm sure he's been anxiously awaiting my opinions on the matter. :wink:

Ha! At least he didn't put her back in the audience right away when he realized his mistake.

"Oh, whoops! Sorry. Back you go."

Ha! At least he didn't put her back in the audience right away when he realized his mistake.

"Oh, whoops! Sorry. Back you go."

I think he did a double-take when he looked at her up close on the bridge and realized she was probably 40 years old, hahahaha!

I think he did a double-take when he looked at her up close on the bridge and realized she was probably 40 years old, hahahaha!

Hey, I'm pretty short too - maybe I'll luck out! :wink:

*practices the I'm on Stage jig*

Thats probably what I'd look like up there with him....

Cori---I hope were not at any of the same shows....:wink: PLEBA *%tch Fight!

At the Phoenix concert (October 2009) Bono pulled up 3 girls. I think they were sisters?

Yep, he's got a thing for those three girls and yes, they're sisters. They posted on here briefly after that.

I'm with y'all in that I'm glad it's not as often and I'm glad it's not the same song all the time. But I don't think it's a bad idea. I did hear about some nasty things people would say about girls who were or were not picked which is too bad. I mean, be jealous on the inside but you don't have to be snide about it.

I mean, be jealous on the inside but you don't have to be snide about it.
:up: Agreed. I've jokingly referred to a woman/girl that he'd pull up onstage as a 'bitch', but there was only jealousy in that statement, not animosity. Seriously, you want to hate someone over the situation? Blame the guy that decided to bring them up from the audience! :doh:

Back
Top Bottom