GA with separated segments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thijst

Babyface
Here's something I noticed ... today I received my tickets for Paris and it clearly says that I will have to use entrance H, east section. Now, entrance H is clearly near the stage on this map (top left corner):

3384856366_aab46a2fc4_o.gif

So far, in conventional stadium shows, GA entrance was always from the other side of the stadium. Using an entrance at the stage end means that even if you show up 5 minutes before showtime, you would still be upfront. Clearly this would create problems in the traditional setup because there would be 10,000 people blocking that entrance. So I looked up the diagram on 360.u2.com and it looks as if there is a square barrier around the stage ...

lg_paris.jpg

So it seems to me that there are 2 separate GA segments, and I have been given tickets that will grant access to the GA segment close to the stage - perhaps these were given out first and since I got mine in the presale, I am in. Not sure whether this will get me in the circle, but I will definitely be close to the stage.

This also means that even if you have GA tickets, and show up at 7 in the morning, you would still not be able to get closer than halfway the pitch if you have the "wrong" ticket.

Interesting... :ohmy: That they would possibly do an already established lottery with the tickets?

We can speculate all we want, but we really won't know anything for sure until the first show.

True but it is simply impossible to let people enter the stadium from that side in the traditional, unseparated, GA setup.

True but it is simply impossible to let people enter the stadium from that side in the traditional, unseparated, GA setup.

Don't be shocked if either:
A The info on where to enter is incorrect and when you show up you enter elsewhere

or

2 There is a barrier along the side of the field/pitch, and when you enter near the stage, they have you walk single file like cattle to the rear of the field and then enter the GA area.

I think its option 2. You enter and one location. They scan your ticket if you get a "ding" you go into the pit. No "ding" theres a path the takes you to the back of the field.... My guess.. All set up with barriers...

That would make it needlessly compliclated, and it has something I have never ever experienced at any stadium concert. Whether it was U2, Pearl Jam, Springsteen, Iron Maiden ... always entrance was on the side opposite the stage, leading directly to the back of the GA segment.

Don't be shocked if either:
A The info on where to enter is incorrect and when you show up you enter elsewhere

or

2 There is a barrier along the side of the field/pitch, and when you enter near the stage, they have you walk single file like cattle to the rear of the field and then enter the GA area.

I'd bet on the barrier. They aren't going to have that many people on the field in GA without some decent control.

Perhaps the stadium feels that the "H" entrance is the best place for the people lined up OUTSIDE the stadium to enter without messing with the seated crowd entrances.

Again, all speculation, but wasn't there some official statement somewhere that there would be a lottery?

Clearly, there'll only be the regular GA, the "inner circle" GA (perhaps lottery) and the RED Zones. Any more than this and it would seem to be a logistical nightmare.

Mark

i think it's more for traffic reasons. many times, stadiums will do this to prevent too many people (in this case, 10,000 GA ticket holders) from trying to enter one gate at the same time.

Even if what all you claim is true, what is the box around the stage on all the diagrams on 360.u2.com?

How did GA work for the outdoor Vertigo shows? Were there mulitple entrances for GA or one single entrance? Seems like it would be the same this time around...

interesting...

randhail is right... we can speculate all we want about the set up for GA but yes lets wait till the first show to see how it works..

for my part, I have noticed something a little more detailed on the Zagreb stage diagram which clearly showed the barriers...

lg_zagreb.jpg

so Im guessing to get in the "inner circle" GA, we would have to enter via the the side entrances or under the walkway? Im not sure myself...like randhail said, its all pure speculation at this time... hmmm...:hmm:

Maybe it will work like this very logical and worthwhile

Horizon members get in the circle
Breathe member get in the next area
Boots are in the 3rd area

The sound is only going to be great farther back as speakers are above on each side. I will find the sound board and be hanging there if I dont get into the inner circle.

I find it much more interesting that on the first picture the stage is on the lefthand side (where you entrance is) and on the righthand side in the second picture. I've also seen this happen for Amsterdam Arena. Does anybody know on which side the stage will be?

Well the diagram over on 360.u2.com is upside down. You can tell from the non-seated black area along the side of the stadium, which appears as a white area on the bottom of the colored map, and as a black area on the top of the 360-diagram. Also, when you look very closely you will be able to read the stadium's numbers on the black diagram.

It is simply upside down, the stage is on the same side on both maps.

aright i am really freaking out i tried buying GA floor tickets for soldier field right now but it says it cannot be found!?!? Does that mean they are sold out or just not on sale yet or what!!??! SORRY I'm JUST HAVING A HEART ATTACK :(

If I remember correctly, Milan had 2 entrances for the Vertigo Tour.

How did GA work for the outdoor Vertigo shows? Were there mulitple entrances for GA or one single entrance? Seems like it would be the same this time around...

Two things :

1. Just because it says entrance H, this doesn't mean that this corresponds to block H. Entrance H could easily be at the other end of the stadium.
2. For the Manchester shows on the Vertigo tour, multiple entry points were used for GA ticketholders. On both dates I entered at the stage end of the stadium.

Usually there are several GA entrances to regulate the traffic and make sure things go as smoothly as they can, that not all GA people are cramming up to one single entrance. I've seen stadiums where the entrances were at the rear end, and stadiums where entrances were at the side. It depends on where the stage will be located in the end. Of course there will be barriers, there have to be barriers for security reasons. I have no idea how the system will really work in the end, but most concerts I've been to have had 2 or 3 separate GA areas, depending on your time of entrance, with 2 different wristband colors, so you knew where you belong.

They always use multiple entrances on stadium shows to try and alleviate the crush of people heading in to the stadium. It means nothing in terms of who gets in to which part of the stadium. Doesn't matter if you go to the gate on your ticket, pick the one nearest the stage.

If this is the case, then I will not be happy. I'm Boots, and if I knew that my GA ticket meant that I would *definitely* be in the 3rd area, I may have bought more seats... Also, what would happen if I went with a friend who was Horizon or Breathe?

The sound is only going to be great farther back as speakers are above on each side. I will find the sound board and be hanging there if I dont get into the inner circle.

That's a common misconception. There will be speakers in the middle too, you just can't see them in the renderings. They usually go in an arc downwards for the benefit of the front rows of GAs. In fact, I think it was U2 that pioneered that type of speaker configuration some years ago.

With regards to the circle: Firstly, we haven't conclusively found out if there will even be a 'scan' process. Alot of the diagrams show an open ended circle, as do the official renderings on U2.com. This has been speculated to mean that it will work like the Euro Vertigo shows ie, first come, first served.

However...if it does end up being some sort of controlled scan process, how easy would it have been to have some algorithm during the presale purchase process to assign say one 'scan beep' per Horizon or Breathe code? Very easy. I think the 'inner circle', even if it is controlled, is going to be considerably larger than both the heart and ellipse were, maybe even bigger than them combined, so it would be quite possible to accomodate every second or third presale GA ticket or maybe even all of them, imo. Wild speculation, but one thing we do know: U2 likes the hardcores up front, all their protestations of not wanting to see the same faces aside. They are doing far fewer shows this time and the seated crowd will be that much further away than they were in an arena. Something tells me the band is going to want the most energetic and committed fans right up front...just my theory...

If this is the case, then I will not be happy. I'm Boots, and if I knew that my GA ticket meant that I would *definitely* be in the 3rd area, I may have bought more seats... Also, what would happen if I went with a friend who was Horizon or Breathe?

Don't worry, this is definitely not the case.

Don't worry, this is definitely not the case.

i hope you're right. :) wouldn't it be nice if U2 just released info about exactly how GA would work?? ;)

also, gvox, i think there's pretty good info that there will be some sort of lottery process, at least in the US. not sure if it will be the same or different from last tour, though...

Back
Top Bottom