GA Tips and Tricks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bottles = potential flying missiles to be launched at the stage, and therefore are generally not allowed.

:lmao:

So Sicy said they make you buy them inside. I remember that was the deal at the Bob Dylan concert I went to a couple of years ago. They confiscated my camera and made me throw out my bottle of water. Interestingly enough though, the party in front of us (in seats) were drinking beer and smoking pot throughout the entire show, not to mention singing louder than Bob and playing the harmonica.:angry:

However, I'm thinking if you are in GA, you can't really leave your spot once inside to guy buy stuff? I imagine that also applies for bathroom breaks? Except of course if someone's there to save your place..

I slept outside Parken stadium, Copenhagen, and I was there at 8am for concerts in Dublin and Milan:

Bring more food and water than you think you can eat - you will most likely consume it anyway, otherwise you can be the nice guy and share ;)

Wear the appropriate clothing

Bring a pillow or the equivalent

Bring a stereo!

But this time, I plan to bring my professional DSLR camera (Canon 5D Mark II) for movie shooting and great stills - it's big and black and not very subtle. Got any tips? Btw, what do they do with the camera if they discover it? Anyone tried that?

My tips....

(Large garbage bags are a cheap alternative to umbrellas BTW).

Have fun you first timers!!!

So many good tips from your post there, but I especially like that one. Two garbage bags (1 for the upper body, 1 for the head) should be enough for coverage in case of nasty weather! And I forgot, this is in a outdoors stadium not an indoors arena... *groans*

Thanks so much. I too am a first-time GA goer. I've had good experiences with U2 fans as well in the past, so I'm not too concerned about that part... The balancing between having enough H20 to drink in to stay hydrated and the peeing is what worries me the most... :huh:

In the arena shows, I was never allowed to bring in bottled water. And even when I bought it at the stands, they poured it into a cup and threw away the bottle. I can't imagine holding a cup for the entire time of waiting + support act + show without being able to set it down...

Thanks so much. I too am a first-time GA goer. I've had good experiences with U2 fans as well in the past, so I'm not too concerned about that part... The balancing between having enough H20 to drink in to stay hydrated and the peeing is what worries me the most... :huh:

In the arena shows, I was never allowed to bring in bottled water. And even when I bought it at the stands, they poured it into a cup and threw away the bottle. I can't imagine holding a cup for the entire time of waiting + support act + show without being able to set it down...

I know! It's these little things that are really niggling at my brain. :angry:

:lmao:

So Sicy said they make you buy them inside. I remember that was the deal at the Bob Dylan concert I went to a couple of years ago. They confiscated my camera and made me throw out my bottle of water. Interestingly enough though, the party in front of us (in seats) were drinking beer and smoking pot throughout the entire show, not to mention singing louder than Bob and playing the harmonica.:angry:

However, I'm thinking if you are in GA, you can't really leave your spot once inside to guy buy stuff? I imagine that also applies for bathroom breaks? Except of course if someone's there to save your place..

I hate to sound like a broken record (do you kids nowadays even understand that phrase?), but again, the feminine hygiene trick is key, here. I took bottles of water into every venue I went to last tour, they were just buried at the bottom of my bag, with -guess what! - on top. Once you're in there, it's dark and crowded, and no one can really see what you're doing, anyway. I was on the rail, so security probably saw me drinking my water, but they're more chill than the ones at the doors, and no one ever said anything to me.

As far as cameras go, I always hid that, too. U2 are fine with cameras that don't have detachable lenses, but there's always a chance that there's going to be poor communication with the venue, and the venue might not realize they're allowed. This was fairly rare last tour, but I did hear of it happening, and I wasn't willing to take the chance of having to turn my camera in or be refused entry.

As far as washroom trips/food/drink purchases once you're in, I never did it. Once I was in my spot, I didn't want to risk it by leaving. I do know people that did leave to use the washroom, etc, and they were fine, their spots were always saved for them when they got back.

PUT YOUR TICKET ON YOUR PERSON IN A SAFE SPOT. I can't tell you how many countless times someone can't find their ticket......or they gotta run back to the car to get their ticket. Or they CAME ON A PLANE....TOOK THE TRAIN......AND A FERRY.....AND A BUS.....and forgot their ticket!

:yikes:

i was super paranoid when I went to hawaii ...i kept touching my ticket in my purse every 10 minutes

I hate to sound like a broken record (do you kids nowadays even understand that phrase?), but again, the feminine hygiene trick is key, here. I took bottles of water into every venue I went to last tour, they were just buried at the bottom of my bag, with -guess what! - on top. Once you're in there, it's dark and crowded, and no one can really see what you're doing, anyway. I was on the rail, so security probably saw me drinking my water, but they're more chill than the ones at the doors, and no one ever said anything to me.

As far as cameras go, I always hid that, too. U2 are fine with cameras that don't have detachable lenses, but there's always a chance that there's going to be poor communication with the venue, and the venue might not realize they're allowed. This was fairly rare last tour, but I did hear of it happening, and I wasn't willing to take the chance of having to turn my camera in or be refused entry.

As far as washroom trips/food/drink purchases once you're in, I never did it. Once I was in my spot, I didn't want to risk it by leaving. I do know people that did leave to use the washroom, etc, and they were fine, their spots were always saved for them when they got back.

:lol: I'm not sure if I could pull off that concealment with a straight face, but I'll consider it! :D

However, I thought we weren't supposed to take our bags into the stadium?

i'm just thinking....if it's a real hot day in Chicago (September can still have some real hot days), are flip flops a big NO for GA?

LadyLemon wore them in October for Elevation (what a hot day that was, eh? :wink: ) and she was fine from what I can remember.

Stay hydrated, make friends with the people around you, wear comfortable shoes, and make sure to have access to a shower so you can slip away for an hour before doors so you won't have people move away from you once in the pit.

Small cameras are ok, but yeah, I tended to take fewer pics as the tour went on. Enjoy the show and being on the floor and up close (god willing) to the band. :yes:

But this time, I plan to bring my professional DSLR camera (Canon 5D Mark II) for movie shooting and great stills - it's big and black and not very subtle. Got any tips? Btw, what do they do with the camera if they discover it? Anyone tried that?
I don't think that's a good idea. That's a huge camera, and you can't really hide it. Plus, wouldn't you get tired of holding that heavy thing in GA? I wouldn't risk bringing it and having it confiscated, but good luck if you try it.

Karma goes a long way when you're on the tour. Be nice to people. That's what U2 would want.

Best advice yet!!!

Also for those going to Giant Stadium for the first time....food and drink in a throw away cooler is essential, since there NO place to get something to eat and drink.

Umbrellas are good for the sun and the rain...get one at your dollar store since they are expensive. Then if you want to toss it you won't feel bad!

And I was thinking of bringing deoderant you never know, September in NY/NJ could be cold or we could have a heat wave!

Best advice yet!!!

Also for those going to Giant Stadium for the first time....food and drink in a throw away cooler is essential, since there NO place to get something to eat and drink.

Umbrellas are good for the sun and the rain...get one at your dollar store since they are expensive. Then if you want to toss it you won't feel bad!

And I was thinking of bringing deoderant you never know, September in NY/NJ could be cold or we could have a heat wave!

This is so true. Nothing in the meadowlands for food.

I wore sandels to a show and was fine.

Check the weather forecast for where ever your going and dress accordingly.

I don't think that's a good idea. That's a huge camera, and you can't really hide it. Plus, wouldn't you get tired of holding that heavy thing in GA? I wouldn't risk bringing it and having it confiscated, but good luck if you try it.

I know it's huge, but have you seen the picture quality??

I was thinking I could separate the lens and the body and assemble it later.
Then, when tired from holding it, putting it in a bag around my shoulder. As long as I'm in the middle of a crowd and the security people see me, I would have thought that I'd be fine. But I don't know if I can get it in though.

queued all day at Croke Park last time- totally unprepared- no food, no drink, nothing to read and this was pre-ipod for me as well- my brother thought I wouldn't last the distance but I was determined to get into that gold circle

doing the queue is an experience but is completely and totally knackering-
we were both virtually zombies the next day (until we saw U2 again in the evening!)

comfortable clothes and shoes are a must- get chatting with the people around you- you're all there for the same reason so will already have alot in common and if there's 2 or more of you then one can hold the space in the line whilst the other (s) can grab something to eat etc-

alot will depend on where you are- the area around Croke Park is pretty awful and there are no public toilets or anything like that nearby- Wembley is much better as is Cardiff

alot will depend on where you are- the area around Croke Park is pretty awful and there are no public toilets or anything like that nearby- Wembley is much better as is Cardiff

This is probably the biggest factor. Some facilities behave as if they have never hosted a concert before or heard about the lineups for U2 GA shows. In SLC, they opened the building and allowed small groups to enter the washrooms inside throughout the whole day. It was all supervised. Honolulu set up huge pens because they knew a load of people would show up early for that one. And they had port a pottys on-site.

GM Place, not so much. It was "go find your own place to pee" land.

Some locations have lots of surrounding restaurants, hotels and businesses to occupy your time and bladder. SLC had a kickass shopping area just a couple of blocks away with plenty of stores and restaurants. Vancouver had stuff a few blocks away too. While Honolulu was a wasteland but they did sell food on site.

So find out what is around your stadium so you can prepare based on what is immediately available to you.

This is probably the biggest factor. Some facilities behave as if they have never hosted a concert before or heard about the lineups for U2 GA shows. In SLC, they opened the building and allowed small groups to enter the washrooms inside throughout the whole day. It was all supervised. Honolulu set up huge pens because they knew a load of people would show up early for that one. And they had port a pottys on-site.

GM Place, not so much. It was "go find your own place to pee" land.

Some locations have lots of surrounding restaurants, hotels and businesses to occupy your time and bladder. SLC had a kickass shopping area just a couple of blocks away with plenty of stores and restaurants. Vancouver had stuff a few blocks away too. While Honolulu was a wasteland but they did sell food on site.

So find out what is around your stadium so you can prepare based on what is immediately available to you.

Good thing its not @ GM Place this time. BC Place was great for the PopMart- my friends & I were allowed in to use the washrooms in the early afternoon. And there is a small cafe on Beattie St, and a subway near there as well. and a 7-11 nearby if memory is correct...
We had great people to wait with, we helped to organize the 'brunch run' and then the late lunch run for about 15 people, so we had no worries of loosing our place in line.

From my one and only GA wait, I would say that getting to know the people around you is KEY. My brother and I were able to go for lunch, then later go back to our hotel, shower and change. No one minded at all. Everyone was really nice and easygoing. I remember one guy in front of us asked us to watch his laptop while he left to go get food.

I can only hope for a repeat of my first GA experience!

A tent that you, yourself, have set up before and not just a tent that says "easy set up" on the front of the box
:reject:

make friends with the people around you in line and in the stadium

just enjoy yourself and enjoy the music (that is what we came for right?)

Thanks everyone for the tips! For the feminine hygeine tips, did you girls bring your purses into the show? I can imagine it must get pretty annoying holding onto a purse for the whole time, or did you just put on the ground by your feet?

I was thinking I could separate the lens and the body and assemble it later.
Then, when tired from holding it, putting it in a bag around my shoulder. As long as I'm in the middle of a crowd and the security people see me, I would have thought that I'd be fine. But I don't know if I can get it in though.
Yeah, it's an amazing camera (I'm jealous!), and you'd surely get some great photos if you got away with bringing it. Is the potential risk of losing your spot worth it, though?

I've never seen anyone with an SLR in GA, much less one as big and bulky as yours. I have a dinky XTi and I wouldn't even try to bring that with me.

Good thing its not @ GM Place this time. BC Place was great for the PopMart- my friends & I were allowed in to use the washrooms in the early afternoon. And there is a small cafe on Beattie St, and a subway near there as well. and a 7-11 nearby if memory is correct...
We had great people to wait with, we helped to organize the 'brunch run' and then the late lunch run for about 15 people, so we had no worries of loosing our place in line.

THANK YOU for the info. I'm planning on going to the Vancouver show, so this is good to hear. :up:

Thanks everyone for the tips! For the feminine hygeine tips, did you girls bring your purses into the show? I can imagine it must get pretty annoying holding onto a purse for the whole time, or did you just put on the ground by your feet?

Yes I'd like to know too. Though, I think my pockets would be enough now that I think about it... :hmm:

^^I believe if I was going to bring my purse I would bring one with a strap long enough to sling over my other shoulder. Actually I just tried that with my regular purse to see if it I could get it long enough for that.

Have you seen the price tag to buy a new one once it gets confiscated? Because it will get confiscated. I have a 40D and I know you aren't exactly inconspicuous shooting with a DSLR. Unless you can get some sort of photography pass, stick with a point-and-shoot. I'm taking my 40D with me for when I'm doing touristy things between concerts, but no way would I take it into the concerts themselves.

queued all day at Croke Park last time- totally unprepared- no food, no drink, nothing to read and this was pre-ipod for me as well- my brother thought I wouldn't last the distance but I was determined to get into that gold circle

So what is the area around Croke Park like? How long of a walk to get food, get to a public restroom, etc? There will be four of us to it will be easy to trade off holding spots in line...but how far am I going to have to walk when I need to use the facilities???

My advice? If you wait outside all day yet fail to get inside the shape (looks like a circle this year) due to bad luck of the "lottery", try to get a good spot by the rail then do NOT move for any reason. People - especially height-challenged ones - will ask you to if they could step in front of you to see better. Politely decline.

As a result of this, though, you are now stuck in that spot. Unless you came with a barrage of people who can guarantee your safe return to that spot if you must leave, you are pretty much trapped there. Get your beers and use the bathroom well before you get to that spot. Wear comfy, comfy shoes. You will be standing a long time. The GA is let in early, well before the opening acts. So you will be standing there for hours before U2 even come on.

In a stadium, this may not be quite as bad. But the closer you are to the stage (especially if you get a spot along the rail) the tougher it is to move. I found when I saw U2 on the last tour in Croke park, without moving I went from 4-6 rows of people from the stage at the start of the concert to about 12-15 rows of people back half-way through U2's set! That's how many people crammed into that spot - and again, I didn't move! So be prepared to be pushed.

My number one tip? If you want to sneak anything into the venue - camera, food, bottled water, etc - put it in your bag, and put feminine hygiene products on top of it, and then when you go to the security guy to be searched, he'll just glance and let you in without really checking. Seriously, this works. :up: Dumb men. :cute:

*sputters*
:lmao::lmao:

VP! what a great idea!:lmao:

Back
Top Bottom