GA Tips and Tricks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bottles = potential flying missiles to be launched at the stage, and therefore are generally not allowed. However, some venues are more strict and check more carefully than others. To avoid excessive checking, see my feminine hygiene tip. However, in Chicago, a staff member of the venue walked along the inside part of the outside rail of the ellipse, and handed out mini-bottles of water to people during the show. They obviously cared about our hydration levels. :heart:

Around the time of the last tour, I was commuting 2 1/2 hours a day to school, and would often get held up at school unexpectedly when my advisor would have me complete some menial task at the last minute, before I could go home, and so I always kept an emergency granola bar in my bag for these occasions. I forgot that I even had it in there, and neglected to do my feminine hygiene trick, and security at one of the venues found it, and made me throw it out. Fuckers. :angry:

Sorry to hear of all this, lol! Most venues I work, sealed bottles of water are perfectly fine! Up to a gallon bag of food is also fine at most concert venues in Boston. The general concern on water is it being mixed w/ alcohol, hence the factory sealed, not tampered with requirement. The missile thing is only a concern of a few bands that request we take the caps so nothing full hits the stage.

Love the feminine hygiene tip! Alot of idiots I work with dont check to the bottom of bags. I do, but I also have common sense and in the order of priorities, you having water or a granola bar is just not that bothersome to me or any other guard w/ common sense. I would say to you upon seeing your bag "hey, I did not see that granola bar"" or something like that! One of the things that gets me about security searches(front door is my speciality in Boston) is the guards that go crazy about stupid shit. When do I care? When 2 15 yr olds each have 6 beer cans. When some 30 yr old whack job has a laser pen, when someone has a knife or mace. When someone is so drunk they can not walk. You get the idea.

:lmao: except that SUCKS!!! You also sometimes risk escalating things to the level where bad security throws you out too. Ugh.

fail-security-guard.jpg

security_camera_fail.jpg
Yes, these people can ruin your experience big time and it pisses me off so much to see them pulling their shit.

I am very ego free and even keeled as far as security people go, and I am not violent at all as a person. However, I have lost it exactly 2 times in 4 yrs doing my job.

The first was exactly like you guys are talking about- one guy kept pushing a 10 yr old kid at a Dropkick Murphys GA, and when I told him to knock it off, I was promptly swung at. All I remember was ducking, taking the front of this guy's belt and throwing him out of the pit and then getting another guard to help me drag him all the way out the door.

The second was when one guy at River Rave decided to throw another guy's girlfriend to the ground and punch her twice, then tell me not to "f'n touch him." He got touched and lost big time, then even more so when he picked a fight with the police who came over to help me.

I am so thankful that I am a fan of a band that has(vast majority) mostly great people following them!

Yes, these people can ruin your experience big time and it pisses me off so much to see them pulling their shit.

I am very ego free and even keeled as far as security people go, and I am not violent at all as a person. However, I have lost it exactly 2 times in 4 yrs doing my job.

The first was exactly like you guys are talking about- one guy kept pushing a 10 yr old kid at a Dropkick Murphys GA, and when I told him to knock it off, I was promptly swung at. All I remember was ducking, taking the front of this guy's belt and throwing him out of the pit and then getting another guard to help me drag him all the way out the door.

The second was when one guy at River Rave decided to throw another guy's girlfriend to the ground and punch her twice, then tell me not to "f'n touch him." He got touched and lost big time, then even more so when he picked a fight with the police who came over to help me.

I am so thankful that I am a fan of a band that has(vast majority) mostly great people following them!

heh can i go to the concert with you? :D

You're never alone in a U2 GA line, there are all kinds of friendly fans to hang out with. Don't wait for lame ass friends to go with you, go by yourself and meet other crazy fans there!

I got no problem with the first move where everyone has that initial excitement or when Bono walks the ramp and the crowds try to move in as he walks by.

I got lots of problems with people who walk in 5 minutes before the main act comes on and expect to be at the front. You know, that daisy chain of people, literally squirming with their legs into nonexistent spaces to go where no room exists. I hate those fucking shitheads. If you want to be in the front, get there early. If you can't get there early, tough shit. What pisses me off is those people who after pushing and rudely making their way through people say "I'm a huge fan". Yeah, well, where the hell have you been for the past few hours while the rest of us have been here. :angry:

Nothing is more annoying than some assholes who are fighting their way to the front and end up stuck........in front of you. I have no respect for this selfish and ignorant behaviour. I usually am the one who won't let them get by unless it is a single person who I recognized going by me to the washroom or returning with beer.

Thankfully, I haven't seen to many instances of this in U2 shows although in Vancouver there were quite a few lateral movers. People who walk sideways through the crowd. :madwife:

And to reiterate what some have said, it can get dicey on the rail on the outside of the ramps within the first 10 people deep or so. Lots of shoving and surging can occur in these areas. Inside it's less hectic.

Meh, I'm older now so stuff pisses me off.:grumpy:

:wink:

Dude I hear ya 100% these types of people are absolute fucking losers. There's things people do that tell you alot about who they are as a person and this is one of them. Selfish inconsiderate fuckheads. They exist at every show I've ever been to. You know when you and your buddy are front row shoulder to shoulder and some asshole behind you reaches between the two of you and starts sliding in sideways. It's like FUCK OFF and enjoy the show moron. I'm with you all the way. I don't hate anything in life really but I do HATE these people.

I thought the great thing about Vancouver, April 29th 2005 was that I was inside the elipse and I was able to walk anywhere I wanted. I was respectful of people and if I asked they'd let me in quick for a picture and then I'd back out. The Vancouver crowd was really cool that night save for a few losers who are not hard to point out.

A tip I have for GA is if you're inside the elipse/claw and wanna be able to move around before the show choose a spot near the back along the inside of the rail. That's what I did for Vancouver in 2005 and it was great. People are less concerend with getting the "back" and therefor you can actually leave for a bathroom break between the opening act and U2. You can go get a beer and get back to your spot no problem. Also durring the show it's a bit more spaced out so you can actually be "swinging to the music" :lol:

So I probably wouldn't be able (or want to) get there at like 7am. My question is if I have GA tickets, is there much point in arriving a few hours early? like maybe 3 or 4pm? Or is it more like you get a spot in the first 5 rows or it doesnt really matter. Surely it won't be overly cramped after like 10 or 15 rows of people! or am I wrong? I can live w/ being reasonably close (with the chance of getting scanned :) ) So again, is there a difference between getting there a few hours early or just strolling in during the black eyed pisses?

^^^ Hallucination - Best place IMO is the back of the ellipse/GA. :up: Lots of room, you're right there when they come around on the ramp, you can come and go, etc. also best when you have kids, and you get more perspective on the stage show.

I'd often start out in the first couple rows for 4 or 5 songs, get my up close and personal fix and take some pics. I feel bad being 6'4" so then I'd find a girl/couple behind me and let them have my space.

I'd often start out in the first couple rows for 4 or 5 songs, get my up close and personal fix and take some pics. I feel bad being 6'4" so then I'd find a girl/couple behind me and let them have my space.

Yeah, that is very nice of you. And you've got about a foot taller than me, so someone like me would really appreciate that... :lol:

o_O Is the tent for camping out or tailgating?? How many people does it sleep? :lol: Because I can't find a cheap hotel anywhere close to the stadium... :D

Camping out/tailgating. :lol:

Did you try further up Route 1? I know there are some hotels in Norwood that are only a few miles from Gillette.

I'm going to get a tent too. I already have a sleeping bag.

My roommate has a tent that sleeps two, but I have no idea how to put it up. I might have to learn that from her if I decide to bring it. It's pretty big though, the kind you use for camping. How big are people's tents that they're bringing?

Did you try further up Route 1? I know there are some hotels in Norwood that are only a few miles from Gillette.

Yes, I looked at some of those too. Still $120 above. Don't know if I want to spend that much, although a nice bed, warm shower, and hot breakfast probably sounds really good after 12 hours of waiting in line... :)

Last edited:
I'm going to get an average size tent. Maybe something cheap too. I'm only going to use it for this. I have no desire to ever actually go camping

I'm going to get an average size tent. Maybe something cheap too. I'm only going to use it for this. I have no desire to ever actually go camping

Laura, are you camping out for Dublin too? I am trying to figure out the best time to get line for Dublin3. We just plan on bringing cheap chairs and a cooler.....all of which will be disposed of at the proper time.

It's just a matter of finding out when to get in line. We have the 9 y/o with us, so rail is a necessity I think.

I don't know yet. I'm going to see what it is like for the first show and take it from there on how I do the other 2. I don't know if I can camp out. How am I going to bring everything from the US

For the many of you getting to the stadium early, what do you plan to do for parking in non public transportation areas, like Foxboro, Dallas, etc. Lots prob won't be open. I've only had to drive for GA once in Phoenix and they had free parking.

dumb question here, GA floor tix i got show seats XX1 to XX4 GA section X...

there are no seats on the floor what so ever are they? meaning all are standing room only and works same as on other shows? first come first serve?

reason is my buddy wants to buy one, on sale @ craigs and is afraid he'll be put in a diff. section.. gate entrance is diff.. and we cant remember if this was the same as in the vertigo tour...

this is in Vancouver BC Place by the way.. tnx.:D
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

For the many of you getting to the stadium early, what do you plan to do for parking in non public transportation areas, like Foxboro, Dallas, etc. Lots prob won't be open. I've only had to drive for GA once in Phoenix and they had free parking.

I'm going to drive and see if the lots are open and take it from there.

I bought 2 GA tickets from Ebay and they are from the pre-sale. If I don't have membership to U2.com, would that be a problem to get in? In other words, will I have to prove that I have U2.com membership to use these tickets.

They only checked memberships in some places on the last tour because there was 2 seperate lines you could get into. There was a u2.com line and a general line. It didn't matter what line you were in. I really don't remember that much from it.

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but I would advise against wearing long sleeves. I wore a long-sleeved shirt because it was freezing out. By the end of the concert, I was sweating my ass off in it. Being packed in and jumping and dancing arou d with long sleeves is not a good idea. I learned the hard way. :lol: This was an arena show though.

Back
Top Bottom