GA On the sides between the stage and the Red Zones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spoutnik

Acrobat
So if i get this straight,it cost me 245$ more for a red zone ticket just for not having to line up 10 hours before the show and for being close to the stage???How the hell is that fair?Is this should have been the other way around? the closer you are,the more expensive the GA tickets should have been?

I understand that the red zones tickets money is going for africa and all that,but surely they could have come up with a more equal and fairness idea,no?I doubt very much that fans who bought a red zone tickets (like me) said to them self "Heck,i'm being screwed here but i'll do it for the social conscience.

:|

... this thread makes no sense. Red Zone gets you up close without having to line up, for that AND FOR CHARITY you pay.
If you want to be up close otherwise you're gonna have to invest time into it. That's just how it works. It's kinda hard to make some GA tickets more expensive than others as you'd have to divide the floor into sections and it would cost far more time to get people on the floor. And then still people would want to be up front or back rail and stuff.

I don't possibly see how the red zone people are getting screwed. They have a great view and even get a shout out from Bono every fucking night. :|

They could have made the front of the stage all around (not just the sides)the red zones area.Put a barrier to separate the Red zone from the normal GA,that would have made more sense.

Rewarding the fan who waits 10 hours in line instead of the one who's willing to pay more to be closer and for africa isn't logical.

It sounds like what you're saying here is money should talk, and that isn't fair. I understand you paid a crapload of money, but that was you choice.
I've always thought it was very fair to make all GA tickets the same price. Everyone who buys them is equal and it's up to us where we end up standing based on how much effort we want to put into it. What could be fairer than that?
Sectioning off the entire front rail for people who paid more money for their ticket would seriously piss me off, because that just says that people with more money are more "special". I don't have a lot of money, but I do have the patience to simply wait in line all day.
I think it was pretty clear the Red Zone tickets were specifically for a charity, and that's great. If I had been able to buy one, I would have bought it becuase the money was going to a good cause, not because I wanted to be up close. If I wanted specifically to be up close, I would have bought a plain old inexpensive GA and waited on line.

There's always going to be disagreement, but the same price first come first serve seems pretty fair to me :shrug:

I think it speaks highly of them that they DON'T sell the best spots to those who are wiling to shell out hundreds of bucks on a ticket.

Granted, people do shell out big bucks for GA tickets through scalpers, but you know what I mean.

You don't have to line up for Red Zones and they are NOT front of stage. Front of stage still is "regular" GA. That means: You come early, you get a good spot. Regular GA is still in front of Red Zone. That's only fair.

And from my various experiences from last year I can tell you that you don't have to line up for 10 hours to get a good spot in front of the stage. The stage area is so big, you probably get a very good spot if you come in the afternoon. In fact, the closer you stand to the stage, the harder it becomes to see everything, because the stage is too high. A place at the catwalk rail is still very good in terms of view and closeness to stage and band, and it's much easier to get than a spot in the first row front of stage.

I think it speaks highly of them that they DON'T sell the best spots to those who are wiling to shell out hundreds of bucks on a ticket.

Granted, people do shell out big bucks for GA tickets through scalpers, but you know what I mean.

:up: Indeed. Selling out is not the way to go.

Money can get you far enough already in this world, and it would be a kick in the teeth of the die hards who do not have the funds to buy a 250 dollar GA ticket(I know I wouldn't be able to!) but are willing to spend a day on the sidewalk to get up front if things go this guy's way.

Don't forget that in the Red Zone you can see the screen and more of the lighting and video effects which escape those in the pit. Additionally whilst it is a cert that anyone in the pit is a pretty huge fan since they've had to get to the show early, Red Zone tickets do also go to those who feel the need to buy the most expensive/exclusive ticket which does not necessarily equate to level of appreciation for U2.

So if i get this straight,it cost me 245$ more for a red zone ticket just for not having to line up 10 hours before the show and for being close to the stage???How the hell is that fair?Is this should have been the other way around? the closer you are,the more expensive the GA tickets should have been?

I understand that the red zones tickets money is going for africa and all that,but surely they could have come up with a more equal and fairness idea,no?I doubt very much that fans who bought a red zone tickets (like me) said to them self "Heck,i'm being screwed here but i'll do it for the social conscience.

:|

Um, forgive me for asking the obvious here, but if you felt that you were getting screwed, why did you buy it?

I had Red Zone tickets for two shows, and at both of them you were able to get into the circle with a RZ wristband.

I got RZ last year in Chicago for $160. The night before I had GA. Two totally different experiences, but I'd do RZ again in a heartbeat if I could afford it. Yes, the inner circle was between us and the stage but we had a clear view all night long for just a few hours wait.
I thought it was a great way for them to help Africa and let fans who didn't have the stamina to stand for long to have good tickets. The seats behind us were $250.
This year, I couldn't afford the RZ so I've got GA and a seat for one show, and lower priced seats for two others. Hopefully, I'll feel well enough to do GA but if not, I have a seat.

Sitting in the sun or whatever the weather is like all day since 6am.. Getting crushed in the GA line when they start letting people in.. Standing, sitting, standing, sitting, standing 2 hours before the show starts.. Standing the entire show..

Sometimes GA isn't as awesome as it sounds.

I didn't have RZ for Montreal 2,i had 95$ behind the stage.But when i went on the Evenko site last week,there was a lonely RZ ticket.And since i don't have to pay for hotel reservations or airplane ticket for traveling because the gigs are right here,i said to myself,why not go for it.Otherwise,if it was a show out of town,i obviously couldn't afford that pricey spot.

It's just that when you think about it,i'll probably be at the front of the barrier that is separating the RZ from the normal GA ,so the idea that a fan who's just 1 foot ahead of me paid 245$ less, makes it somewhat a little unfair in my view.I'll take back the word "screwed" because i did had the choice to stick with my 95$ behind the stage.But at the end of the day it does feel like buying a ticket on Stubhub or ebay....minus the fact that the RZ money goes for charity.Waiting in line 6 to 10 hours shouldn't give you a 245$ discount,sorry.

P.S. And this notion that a fan who is willing to wait hours in line for a good spot is greater vs a fan who's going for a red zone ticket is somewhat stupid in my book.Because it isn't all the "super" fans that can afford a lost of full day at work so he/she can show up at the gate at 7 am in the morning.

Never thought of that?

No one said those who have the ability to wait all day were greater fans. It just is what it is.

If you can't wait in line all day, you can buy a RZ ticket and zip right to the front without all the waiting. You're paying for convenience, and not all the RZ tickets go for as much as you paid - there were some cities that the winning auction price ended up being much lower.

But honestly, I think we're just seeing it from a whole different angle than you, and nothing can be said that's going to make you change your mind about it.

You think it's unfair, others don't ... :shrug:

The Montreal Red Zone tickets weren't for auction,it was 300$ on the nose..(plus 25,50$ fees,thankyouverymuch)

I still feel it's unfair but like i said,they didn't put a gone to my head and forced me to change my tickets...i did it on my own.Probably after 10 minutes of the start of the gig, i'll forget if its fair or not and i'll enjoy the concert anyhow,so...

I was last year at Wembley Stadium London, arrived very early morning so I got to stand in the first line just near the stage.

However, I didn't see the whole band, but if they came close enough to the mid-edge of the stage they were very close.

I am going to Athens on 02/09 and planning again on arriving early... but now I'm thinking to stand inside the circle but near the outer circular stage... the one the band walks around on.

Anyone ever stood there in a concert? How is the view from there?

Back of the inner circle is fine. You'll get to see most of the show and of course the band goes out on the catwalk often. Just try to avoid being directly under the bridges.

My favourite spot was on the outer rail in GA. You get to see the entire show from that vantage point and the sound quality is excellent.

Im excited for Montreal however i plan on standing a little further back. I was front row at the rail in the circle, right in front of Edge for Toronto 360 in 2009, and the stage is so high that Larry was completely hidden. I remember that I couldn't tell what was going on when Breathe started, because you couldn't see Larry! Just lots of cheering and then all of a sudden i heard drums. But I must say, you are REALLY close to the band.

It's just that when you think about it,i'll probably be at the front of the barrier that is separating the RZ from the normal GA ,so the idea that a fan who's just 1 foot ahead of me paid 245$ less, makes it somewhat a little unfair in my view.I'll take back the word "screwed" because i did had the choice to stick with my 95$ behind the stage.But at the end of the day it does feel like buying a ticket on Stubhub or ebay....minus the fact that the RZ money goes for charity.Waiting in line 6 to 10 hours shouldn't give you a 245$ discount,sorry.

P.S. And this notion that a fan who is willing to wait hours in line for a good spot is greater vs a fan who's going for a red zone ticket is somewhat stupid in my book.Because it isn't all the "super" fans that can afford a lost of full day at work so he/she can show up at the gate at 7 am in the morning.

Never thought of that?

Instead of thinking about the fact that that person 10ft in front of you paid a lot less, just think about the nice relaxing afternoon you had before the concert, the nice evening meal you had (or if you're hungry grab a bite to eat & a beer from the concession stand, before you go right back to your rail spot). Think about all that room you have. Now look in front. This guy looks crushed! He's actually occupying about 0.5 square metre, while you have over 1 square metre (these figures are actually from a leaked diagram for the Gelsenkirchen show. This showed area calculations for the whole floor, & how many people were to be admitted into each section - your taking over double the space in RZ, hence some of the cost). Now look at that guy, is he dehydrated from being out in the sun all day, camped on concrete, does he need to use the bathroom. Not much chance of him being able to get back to his spot in the inner circle if he leaves, & forget about food, or U2 merchandise. Just enjoy YOUR EXPERIENCE!

I love the fact that U2 offers low GA prices, many bands don't. These prices allow ALL FANS (other than those not physically able to endure GA) the opportunity to see their favourite band up close. Ok, sometimes it doesn't work out. Shows may be scheduled mid-week, limiting the number of fans that can line up for extended times. You may have a meeting to attend, a wedding to go to, or you just may not want to line up for so long. But you're given a fair chance to do this anyway. High prices would mean many, many fans would miss out on this opportunity.

If you go to the DMV at the end of a long day at work, and there are 50 people in front of you, do you get angry that you can't jump to the front of the line because it isn't fair that they had the ability to get there earlier?

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom