GA Discussion / Camera policies, etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I'll go for the green dot/outer rail...from the videos I've seen and stories I've heard it may be an all-around better experience from there. Although, I think I'd be okay up front- I'm lucky to be 6'4"

Hey, if you put your arms out on the rail, can I sneak in front of you? I'm 5/3" and you'd never even know I was there. :wink:

I agreed to take my 10 year old son with me with both have GA tickets (wembley 2nd show).

The decision was based on my previous U2 concerts where I managed to queue to get into the Heart and found there was plenty of room.

Our plans were to get there early and line up to get in the pit and stand at the back of the rail.

From what I've been reading, I'm now not sure if this is a good spot ? Being small he needs somewhere where height isn't so important.

So do we go to the pit but stand to one side so it's not too crowded ?
or
Do we go to the outer rail, perhaps to one side a little.

Will he be able to see if we are on the outer rail, or we he be able to see better in the pit ?

I'm concerned that there might be a lot of surging in GA section on the outer rail ?

Any advice much appreciated.

(apologies to those that have heard this story already!)

I can speak to this, as my wife and I took our 9 y/o son (and every bit the U2 fan) to both Dublin 2 and 3. For Dublin 3 we ended up having 1st row off-center, back rail in the pit. As far as height goes, this was a great spot for him. During the opening acts he could see everything, only when it got really crowded for U2 did that change. But even then, he was more than happy to look up at the screen (honestly, it's not THAT bad of a strain to look up).....and of course when they came out on the catwalk, he was RIGHT there.

The queuing was long, and getting from the turnstiles to our spot was a harrowing ordeal. Keeping our spot was just as challenging, especially those that assumed that his spot was actually open ;) Most people when they saw him there, backed off though. My wife and I had him surrounded, however, and acted like a good protection/barrier/buffer zone.....with some help from the nice Irish couple right next to us on the other side.

My son, at 9, is pretty big for his age.......95lbs and plays ice hockey, so he was not afraid to give any pushing right back.

It sure as hell ain't easy to do......BUT it was *extremely* rewarding for all of us. I think the experience has made him into a Pit Warrior now as he's looking forward to the NY and DC shows and wants to get the same spot :ohmy: (not something the wife and I think we're physically capable of going through again so soon....lol)

He loved it so much that his new thing is now listening/watching the Live at Red Rocks....which obviously has me super proud.

Was your son the boy who fell and it looked like he got hurt trying to climb over the barracade in the queue. If so, then you guys were right behind me in the queue.

I had GA outside rail at Amsterdam and back-of-the-pit rail in Dublin... both were about 10 degrees to Adam's side and I wouldn't say it was a wrestling match in there but maintaining personal space can be a little difficult at times. I would say if your son had the rail with you behind him it would be a decent position provided you are strong.

I got a question for GA. Do you guys really do GA two nights in a row? And how does that work out.... i really want to go to like more than one show... and i would hate it for U2 not to tour in the US next year or something so.... How does the back to back dates work? No sleep? hahaha

^ i can assure you U2 will be touring the US again next year you can count on that.. But 2 days of GA, it depends on whether you want to camp out or not or just get there in the very early AM with at least some sleep. That's my plan..

I got a question for GA. Do you guys really do GA two nights in a row? And how does that work out.... i really want to go to like more than one show... and i would hate it for U2 not to tour in the US next year or something so.... How does the back to back dates work? No sleep? hahaha

I went out of my way to avoid this. I think you could do two GA if you didn't queue all-day for one of those days... but two all-dayers is something I couldn't handle. So I went seats/GA for my three multi-show cities.

Ok thanks. I do have tickets for seats day 1 of US leg. But i don't think my friend wants to go both times :( And i have a feeling he will hate me if i go without him first day haha.... so i'll probably selll those and wait for next years hopefully :D :D

Was your son the boy who fell and it looked like he got hurt trying to climb over the barracade in the queue. If so, then you guys were right behind me in the queue.

Yes, that was him. Incidentally though, he had climbed that barracade multiple times throughout the day without issue. That particular time he was climbing over and someone, i'm assuming, didn't realize he was there and leaned back on him accidentally pushing him over. He hurt his knee a bit at the time (was more upset that he was pushed over), but really was fine. It was kind of funny because we heard people in the queue saying "I think he hit his head....." :lol: He was perfectly fine however to stand for the rest of the time in the pit and then after the show walk all the way back to St. Stephens Green. It's not a week unless he gets hurt at least 3 times ;)

If I had known you were just right ahead of us, I would have said hi :)

I had GA outside rail at Amsterdam and back-of-the-pit rail in Dublin... both were about 10 degrees to Adam's side and I wouldn't say it was a wrestling match in there but maintaining personal space can be a little difficult at times. I would say if your son had the rail with you behind him it would be a decent position provided you are strong.

Yes, it was a decent position. Good back support for him (he could even sit down for a moment or two when needed), and we were able to keep him well insulated by just holding our ground. For HIM it wasnt a wrestling match, but there were more than a few people who were late arrivals just pushing there way through the crowd and causing some issues.

Let me put it this way, as most people have said, it was hard work....but well worth the reward and i'd absolutely take him in the pit again if we could get a back rail spot.

I did GA for 2 nights in amsterdam in a row and 3 nights in Dublin, with a break between the 2nd and 3rd concert. No problem at all. Just go to bed after the gig asap, and get out early, continue sleeping in line the 2nd day.

What is it like in the main GA section on this tour?

Am going to Wembley on Fri 14 - GA tickets. Have seen them many times before, I had hoped to get red zone tics but ticketmaster screwed up my bid.

I don't fancy the scrum in the pit. So what is it like in the main GA section? How out into the pitch does the rail come. Is it very packed near the front?

Plan to arrive as the gates open around 4pm.

Cheers

I am queuing up on Friday wembley from morning but I am going to go late on the Saturday as it will kill me to 2 do days of queuing and travelling.

I havent looked at any actual gig pcitures yet

with regard to the greent and red dot - surely being inside the circle is better as you can leave and always go abck there, as opposed to the main GA where it is hard to move around once in place.

is there really a big difference being either side of the rail?

just looked at some pics.

do you get the same view of the claw on any par tof the outer ring? or does it show different things on each side?

i think standing under it would be rubbish (i.e closest to the band)

The claw is basically identical on all four sides. Being underneath it is fucking amazing - it is like being under a space-ship. When you see those speakers swing in the wind, turn around and look at the stadium, the screen moving down in Unforgettable Fire... Second to all of that, it is like being in a club show rather than a stadium gig - it is like the rest of the stadium are watching the *real* gig in the pit.

If you have a desirable space, whether that is inside or outside the pit, don't count on getting back to it easy/at all.

hmm, pit it is then

i am going saturday as well, where i will almost be in the normal ga section so should get both views

at twickenham i got onto the outer edge of the 'bomb shelter' railing and didn't move from like 4pm til the show finished at 10.30 or whenever.

I have a question. I got sick over the last couple of days, now I am not sure if I can stay overnight for the London shows. I am not with any friends. Could I pay someone from the forum to hold my place in line? Is that a possibility?

Thanks

:doh: Is this a serious question

You don't have to campout to get a good spot. I don't know how many more times that I have to state that. I didn't camp out in Dublin and just got there early and got great spots in the pit. The main stage is high, so if your short, you'll still see.

How many people are allowed in the Inner Circle?

Hi

Will be at Wembley tomorrow - does anyone know how many people are allowed into the Inner Circle?

Also, what's a good time to arrive to queue?

Cheers!

Maybe it is different from stadum to stadium. 2-3000 is what I heard and then I heard in Dublin 1500

How much of a visual obstruction are the bridges? I've seen some youtube videos where the bridges looked to be a problem for sightlines (when the move, etc).

They get in the way sometimes, but they are really not that bad. One thing I don't get is that they move them sometimes and the band doesn't use them. I had one of the Dublin shows where the bridge stopped right after it went passed me and Edge went onto it and was playing literally right there. I was in the pit for the 3 shows I went to, so I don't know about it if your on the pitch

Maybe it is different from stadum to stadium. 2-3000 is what I heard and then I heard in Dublin 1500
Cool thanks everyone

Anyone know what time a good idea to arrive is?

I came at 11 am last time and that got me in for Twickenham last time...maybe it's different for different countries?

Back
Top Bottom