Future Tours - Topping 360

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonichka

The Fly
This isn't exactly about 360 tour, but it ties in with it.

It just hit me that the 360 tour stage(s) and concept are astronomical. I'm wondering how on earth they will be able to top it in the consecutive tours down the road. I suppose after Zootv no one thought anything bigger was possible, but we got Popmart and now 360. I stil can't imagine a bigger and better stage and tour concept. They need room for the audience to sit. lol What do you guys think? Will they ever top 360? (i know the answer is yes :p ) I guess as technology gets better at least the visual aspect will get better.

(sorry if this thread idea has been done before)

Personally, I think that, after this tour, they're going to do another Elevation. I can't imagine ANYONE topping 360 anytime soon.

Personally, I think that, after this tour, they're going to do another Elevation. I can't imagine ANYONE topping 360 anytime soon.

You can count on Mick Jagger to come up with something for next year's Rolling Stones tour.

God, I hope they stop trying to do huge tours like this. I'd like some focus off the stage and on the songs again.

I think the next logical step is to create a setup which is completely 360, but without the need for a claw. Whether it be a type of claw that's legs are attached to the stadium roof (or legs go outside the stadium) may be the next step.

Yeah, as we know stadium tours = static setlists, so I'd be more than happy seeing something really stripped down next go around. Gives them more freedom and makes them less rigid I think. I don't know how they can top 360 as far as a stadium show is concerned, though.

They can top themselves by setlist variation, doing more festival sets, or even large scale residency shows were they do 4 shows in a week then the next city is an another part of the continent.

I can think of one way to make the shows bigger, but it's harder to do with an aging fanbase: Build the next tours "claw" in the middle of the field and sell 30-100,000 tickets. Saves a lot on rent, though traffic control/shuttles would need A LOT of pre-planning.

There's also Halosonic(sp?) technology.

Or the full lighting structure can be made out of the "saddle screen" so the entire thing can expand and contract in different ways.

Heck, why not go for an all outdoor tour worldwide where it's nothin but parks with an average attendance of 100,000+ per show! then, scale down to arenas worldwide on the tail end of the tour.

They could go spherical, with fans above and below the stage, sorta like in a fancy aquarium.

With 360 I sort of missed a BIG B-stage/eclipse (spiral shaped instead of ellipse).

I guess when technology advances enough it could be done...but I also think they will want to visit arenas for a while now.

To save Bonos back there will be no more touring. You will simply download a band selected playlist off i-tunes every 3 days with Bono re recording "Where are we going...." for each 'show'. Then wait for the moans when they don't pick 'Drowning Man'.

^^:lol:

Personally I would think they'll do arena tours for the rest of their career until they decide to do one last tour, which they'll try and top themselves in terms of spectacle and do something over the course of a number of years like 360. Hopefully they'll match spectacle with theme more in-keeping with their 90's stadium tours than 360 which is mostly spectacle for spectacle's sake tied together with the space/time references.

To save Bonos back there will be no more touring. You will simply download a band selected playlist off i-tunes every 3 days with Bono re recording "Where are we going...." for each 'show'. Then wait for the moans when they don't pick 'Drowning Man'.

:lol: :lmao:

I would love a stage in the centre of the arena. I do think that we are in for another extended break after this tour!:crack:

Yeah I've been thinking the same, but actually, keeping this general stage/set up for awhile makes sense and seems like the most logical thing to do.

I really hope they will stop doing massive tours, and scale down to arenas. Stadiums are great, but nothing goes above a small venue, with great acoustics and focus on the music. I never understood that so much attention was focused on the lights/video setup, etc, whereas what really is important is the music itself.
Luckily the sound on 360 was way much better than on previous stadium tours. The sound quality on Vertigo was horrible.

It could be great if they ever do a combination tour, smth like the stones did during their 40 licks tour. I remember they played 2x a stadium (55,000 people, stadium rotterdam), 1x an arena (Ahoy' 10,000 people), and 1x theatre/club setup (Vredenburg Utrecht; 1,000 people).

It would be so great to see them in an intimate setting again. And then of course the tickets for the club/theatre shows have to go to u2.com members.... that would be value for money!

I've wondered if getting insurance for future tours will be an issue.

That said, someone's dumb enough to underwrite the "Axl & Employees...er, I mean....Guns and Roses" tours around the globe.

I'm ready and all excited for a very down-to-earth kind of tour ala Elevation with 60 songs rotating all the time and 26 songs a night. Oh yeah I'm ready for that.

I think U2 should persist with stadia. For me, Vertigo came alive when it moved outdoors; as Bono puts it in U2 by U2, there is something epic and gladitorial about a stadium show, a sense of scale wholly lacking in indoor arenas. I would like to see a different set-up to 360; the internet offers a possible theme for future exploration. As far as the setlist goes, I will make a familiar point: it is high time they stopped apologising for Pop and rolled out those huge juggernauts, Discotheque, Mofo and LNOE.

I really hope they will stop doing massive tours, and scale down to arenas. Stadiums are great, but nothing goes above a small venue, with great acoustics and focus on the music. I never understood that so much attention was focused on the lights/video setup, etc, whereas what really is important is the music itself.

Maybe they've gone the "visual etravanga" route in the last couple decades becuase they already proved in the 80s that they are one of the best live acts "musically". We all know they can sing and play perfectly every night and as far as perfomance goes they can't get any better than they already are. Maybe the added stage/visuals is their only way of topping themselves and everyone else. Other than having a more varied setlist each night there is nothing they could do to make the actual performance better.

Honestly, i for one love the huge light shows and stage setups. Elevation was boring to be honest. I saw Popmart when i was 14 years old and Elevation when i was about 17 or 18. I remember almost every aspect of Popmart but Elevation is not engrained in my memory so well. I love the rush of a crowd of 60 thousand people and i wouldn't trade it for a smaller gig. (this is for U2, not neccesary all bands i've seen live) :)

All that being said, i think that U2 will probably re-use this stage for a few more tours, or more likely cut back and do smaller tours for the next few albums. and like someone said, maybe one last hurrah in 10 years with a specatcle unmatched by anyone, even themselves! :applaud:

Monsiur Fly, i agree! Bring back stuff from pop....and also some old 80s stuff. I don't want to hear 5 songs off ATYCLB anymore!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom