First Or Second Day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Visiongfx

Acrobat
This is a dumb question but...

Do the performances on the first or second day of a venue differ greatly? Like is the first night more powerful and the second tends to be more tiresome or do they preform better the second night or mix up set lists?

Just wondering because i'm going to the second day of the chicago show and wanted to know (since tickets are so cheap) if a reason was because its not as good or something...?

Barca 2 was better than Barca 1
Milan 1 was better than Milan 2
Paris 2 sounds better than Paris 1

Varies. Second shows in each city seem to be getting the better setlists though.

Tickets are probably cheaper as they aren't selling. ..

Question here. With the exception of one or two songs every setlist of every show is identical so what makes one show better than the other?

Question here. With the exception of one or two songs every setlist of every show is identical so what makes one show better than the other?

subtle changes to the setlist can have a drastic effect on the show as a whole. Desire instead of Angel Of Harlem was a genius move for Barcelona 2.

The crowd is another big factor. Bono feeds off the crowds enthusiasm. If the crowd isn't great then Bono rarely lifts his game

When figuring out when and where I was going this year I figured I better have both nights covered, so I'm doing Gillette Stadium first night and Giants Stadium second night.

oh and Tampa as a single city stop :hyper:

it appears they have two setlist so far.... the question is what surprises will they have for Dublin 3?

My general rule for every band performing multiple dates is to go to the last concert.
- Generally the last one on sale, might be not equally crowded.
- There's usually too much tension and anxiety in the crowd, at least in countries like mine -Argentina- in a first night. This leads to greater passion, but also dumbass behavior.
- Some adjustments can be made after the crowd reaction or difficulties in the first night. (Willie Williams diary from past tours makes you believe that this indeed happens).
- Second night usually comes after some afternoon rehearsals. First night comes after soundcheck and finishing the mounting of the stage (this may or may not happen. Depends).

I guess I'm more of a Springsteen fan these days and its awesome knowing that when you go see him is that you really dont know what songs will be played as he changes the set list every night and plays about 3 to 4 requests from the audience as well. My frustration with U2 is knowing that when I see them in several months in New Jersey that the Set list will most likely be the same as whats being played now and there really wont be any surprises.

I don't think so, U2 setlists, on the course of the entire tour are pretty varied. And even if that happens, you're not only going to see a mere concert, unlike Bruce.

I guess I'm more of a Springsteen fan these days and its awesome knowing that when you go see him is that you really dont know what songs will be played as he changes the set list every night and plays about 3 to 4 requests from the audience as well. My frustration with U2 is knowing that when I see them in several months in New Jersey that the Set list will most likely be the same as whats being played now and there really wont be any surprises.

But if you didn't pay attention to the setlist you wouldn't know that :shrug: so what's the point?

But if you didn't pay attention to the setlist you wouldn't know that :shrug: so what's the point?

Ok no more setlist peeking until I see them at Giants Stadium. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll play Drowning Man. I know they wont but if they ever played Red Hill Mining Town, Hearland, or A Day Without Me I'll do handstands/ cartwheels all the way home

2nd nights are generally looser with more of a chance for something spontaneous - the major local reviewers generally come to the first night, so they tend to play it safer and stick more to the script on night 1.

I have gone to 2 nights in a row during Elevation for that concert night 1 was better..night 2 Bono's voice wasn't in top form.
But I enjoyed myself both nights..and this tour I'm doing it again ..Honestly I can't wait!:hyper:

Ok no more setlist peeking until I see them at Giants Stadium. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll play Drowning Man. I know they wont but if they ever played Red Hill Mining Town, Hearland, or A Day Without Me I'll do handstands/ cartwheels all the way home

If I saw that I would probably drive over you on the Turnpike.

:wink:

Although I completely agree with your song choices.

:up:

well to me it seemed that the second nites setlist were a bit better, on the Vertigo tour, but that was just my thinking, anyways when i went to 2nd night in Atlanta on the vertigo tour because the person i was going with, had to work the first nite, it was awesome i thought, we got to hear Bad and Miss sarejevo, 2 of my favorite songs, they didnt play Bad the first nite, and i think maybe the setlist was shorter too,but im not sure about that. i guess it all comes down to how U2 feel on any given nite.

Well i hope U2 play it safe and easy for the first show of the american leg and rock it out the second day.... because i'm tempted to switch to the first night...but all that hassle and stuff it seems like i would most likely get a better GA spot the second night...right?

I gotta hope somehow, haha.

A factor that has vaguely been alluded to that has to be considered... Bono tends to protect his voice on multiple-night stops until the last night. For this reason, I'm heavily biased toward the second shows on this tour. The last couple of tours, Bono has only attempted more strenuous songs (e.g., Bad :hyper: ) when he had a day or two off following that show to recuperate.

That makes me wonder, what is the real "belt it out" song(s) of this tour so far? The last two tours, I'd say the vocal highlights a given night were probably "Sometimes You Can't Make It..." and maybe "Kite" before that. The budding photographers among us need to know these things. :D

yes i agree, he has to protect his voice and i understand that, i know i loved the show i saw, it it was awesome, no complaints what so ever:), except i wanted them to play longer, but after Bad, i didnt need to hear anything else, i got what i wanted:)

Back
Top Bottom