European shows question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skoobz

The Fly
Hey all... I'm a Horizon member and if it works out, my wife and I will be going to Barcelona for opening night.

My questions are all based on the fact that my wife will be 6 months pregnant by the time of the show and I want to make sure she'll be ok at the show before pulling the trigger...

1) Are there "seats" in European stadiums or do you have to "stand" in the stands?
2) Do things get "rowdy" in the stands?
3) Is there a lot of smoking (including, most negatively, marijuana) in Euro stadiums?

Thanks in advance for any guidance...

Skoobz

Get seats. You don't HAVE to stand up if you don't want to. Whatever you do, DONT go GA.

And smoking is banned in public places in a LOT of countries here, so I doubt it. And You can only legally smoke pot here in Holland, but it's banned in public, so don't get your hopes up.

Hey all... I'm a Horizon member and if it works out, my wife and I will be going to Barcelona for opening night.

My questions are all based on the fact that my wife will be 6 months pregnant by the time of the show and I want to make sure she'll be ok at the show before pulling the trigger...

1) Are there "seats" in European stadiums or do you have to "stand" in the stands?
3) Is there a lot of smoking (including, most negatively, marijuana) in Euro stadiums?

Skoobz

Hi Skoobz,

Congratulations to you & the missues - hope all goes well!

Certainly for the stadiums I've been to for various live acts in the UK & Ireland over the years, there has been the playing pitch which has been used as GA (General Admission - standing no seats - but whether or not there are seats may depend on the Artist & the overall production). There is also the stands which usually have seats. I'm not sure about Barcelona as I've never been, but if asked to make an educated guess, I'd say you'll be fine & able to purchase seats in the stands at the very least.

I've never had a problem with people being Rowdy in the stands, but that again make be just down to luck with who's around you. You get good & bad sorts all over the world. I'd never hesitate to purhase seated tickets in the stands if I needed them or felt like it due to circumstances as in your case. Generally if the gig is going well & the crowd are responding, they really won't sit down all the time, you'll probaly find they stand up around you in the seating areas - sometimes security may try make people sit down if its perceived as a 'health & safety issue' if you're high up in the stands or have seats near the edge etc.. (Not 'The Edge' though if you know what I mean !)

There may be smoking but its outdoor so you should be fine. Don't let it put you off.

Hope this helps

People may well smoke cigarettes outdoors even if smoking is technically banned in public places; but I'd be surprised if marijuana is openly smoked at a concert. I think that the stewards and fellow concert goers would agree that it would be unacceptably antisocial.

(This is my 200th post, and I never thought it'd be about smoking pot at a U2 concert!)

I wouldn't expect it to be any different to the US. I've attended U2 gigs in London and Glasgow before and never had a problem. Funnily enough on the last tour there was a punch up behind me (during One of all songs!) on the December 4 Boston date and people smoking inside the Garden on the December 5 Boston date. The only thing that puts me off European gigs is the often draconian anti-noise laws which meant when I saw Popmart in Wembley in '97 (could hear people talking through songs) I thought it was shit compared with say Saratoga Springs in '92 (could feel the bass in my throat), but for your pregnant wife this might be better. Good luck on the tickets!

Thanks for the great answers! I'm feeling less worried about it already! We've seen them many times in Canada (6 times for me, only 1 for her) and I desperately want to see them in Europe on this tour as life is about to change for us! The timing is great so if everything else works out, I'll be ecstatic!

I found European audiences better than the US, more unified as a crowd, and more courteous with personal space. Then again, this doesn't include England.

Skoobz

Beware, you may find some communists over here.

People may well smoke cigarettes outdoors even if smoking is technically banned in public places; but I'd be surprised if marijuana is openly smoked at a concert. I think that the stewards and fellow concert goers would agree that it would be unacceptably antisocial.

(This is my 200th post, and I never thought it'd be about smoking pot at a U2 concert!)

Uhh, have you actually been to an outdoor gig around Europe, specially southern Europe?

I think you'll find quite a few of people smoke pot and that most people don't care if someone smokes..

Skoobz

You and your wife are welcome here! :wave:

I was in barcelona's gig in 2005, in the same venue: camp nou. Also in 1997 in the olympic stadium. In both cases I was on the floor, but i must tell you that everybody was jumping like mad in the stands, also the ones that were "sitting" the furthest from the stage. OF COURSE we have seats in the stands, but if you are sitting you're not going to see anything. I don't know what "rowdy" exactly means, but don't expect anything dangerous, only happy people jumping and shouting... and noticeable moving of the stands :sexywink:

About smoking... yes, there will be people smoking. Not many, but probably you will smell tobacco and marihuana smoke...

GOOD LUCK!

If and when you get there, Id make the people around you aware that your wife is pregnant (if it isnt already obvious by her appearence, lol). Just to be on the safe side.

Uhh, have you actually been to an outdoor gig around Europe, specially southern Europe?

I think you'll find quite a few of people smoke pot and that most people don't care if someone smokes..

Yeah, I've been plenty of outdoor concerts. I dislike smoking but can tolerate it in open areas; but not pot smoking. Also, most of my bad experiences with fellow concert goers have been because people are drunk, not stoned!

Never a truer word said. The English never consider themselves part of Europe though.!

whatever, though fact is that demand in england/Uk to see U2 is far greater than most of Europe (apart from Ireland of course) and the US - and in such large crowds you always get a few nutters Mike

Skoobz

1 - there are seats on the sides but once the show starts most people will be standing. The pitch will be all standing.
2 - U2 crowds aren't what I would term "rowdy". You'd get a bit squashed if you are near the front middle on the pitch but that is it
3 - smoking of any kind is banned at all venues in the UK - most people observe this. Hard to enforce on the pitch but generally enforced on the sides. Mainland Europe is a little different, my experience is the smoking ban is largely ignored.

Does anyone know what ticket agency is selling the tickets for the Milano show as I want to register with them and to also see the seating plan and pricing so that I can be prepared when the presales go on sale - I am in the breathe group so the sales will be happenng soon

Back
Top Bottom