European concerts at daylight/Curfews?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
about the last train...they advice people to arrange a bus or whatever since indeed there will be no trains anymore. in Dutch they say:

"U2 heeft aangegeven de normale eindtijd van 23.00 uur te vroeg te vinden en gaat dus langer door dan andere bands in de ArenA. Regel eenvoudig je vervoer van en naar de Amsterdam ArenA met het georganiseerde touringcar vervoer van TripTicket. Houd deze pagina in de gaten voor meer vervoersinformatie."

What?!?! Is the last train from Amsterdam Arena at 23:00?? Do they not put on later train services for large events? Where do we find more info about the "organised bus transport"?? For the Vertigo shows I remember there were trains running after the show.... Have they changed things since then? What is Trip Ticket?
Thanx :sexywink:

getting fined 50k is nothing for these bands, its only revenue from a few thousand seats - almost worth playing on for

the major problem is transprot after the gig - also you end up with people leaving early if it goes on too late, which is never good of course

especially an issue at Wembley because the anti car brigade got involved and want everyone to be "green" and save the planet, so there is no longer any official car parking (although there are plentiful unofficial car parks)- therefore more people go on our creaking public transport system- and 70,000 people using one tiny underground station can cause a few problems!

as for seeing them in daylight- it didn't diminish my enjoyment last time round and at Croke it was raining on and off and a bit misty one night which added to the atmosphere

I hear all of you saying that daylight shows are fine and make the darkness even better, but with sunset at Croke1 not coming until just before 10pm I have a feeling there will be lingering brightness the ENTIRE show.

I'm just complaining after loving the darkness achievable during the US arena shows...:sad:

I agree. We are not used to it.

I don't really care if it is daylight or not. I'll be there to enjoy the show.

nothing you can do about the sunset times, so might as well enjoy! I cant remember what time the start was for slane 1, but i dont remember the daylight being a factor

nothing you can do about the sunset times, so might as well enjoy! I cant remember what time the start was for slane 1, but i dont remember the daylight being a factor

Absolutely-especially if I can get under the shade of the Crab!

the slane shows were in September or October (correct me if I'm wrong) and thus noticeably darker

What?!?! Is the last train from Amsterdam Arena at 23:00?? Do they not put on later train services for large events? Where do we find more info about the "organised bus transport"?? For the Vertigo shows I remember there were trains running after the show.... Have they changed things since then? What is Trip Ticket?

No it says U2 will stop playing later than 23 (normal ending of popconcert in Adam Arena). The last train goes at 00:17. But you will not come far since there are no night trains on monday/tuesday. It is possible that the Dutch railroads will arrange extra trains. TripTicket organises bus transportU r welcome :sexywink:

No it says U2 will stop playing later than 23 (normal ending of popconcert in Adam Arena). The last train goes at 00:17. But you will not come far since there are no night trains on monday/tuesday. It is possible that the Dutch railroads will arrange extra trains. TripTicket organises bus transportU r welcome :sexywink:

Normally (correct me if I am wrong) the dutch railways provide extra trains towards amsterdam centralstation. from there you can get the nighttrain to the 4 major cities and schiphol airport

Depends on where you're going, I'm taking the 00.19 train, it's the last one to Duivendrecht.

Normally (correct me if I am wrong) the dutch railways provide extra trains towards amsterdam centralstation. from there you can get the nighttrain to the 4 major cities and schiphol airport

What? :uhoh: I didn't know thos.

I checked NS.nl and it told me there's a train leaving to Duivendrecht at 00.17 and then I can take the train towards Weesp, change on the train to Lelystad there. :scratch: If there are no trains, then why does it tell me that?

Vertrek maandag 20 juli 2009 rond 00:11
Tijd Station / Halte Spoor Richting Reisdetails
00:19 Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA 3 Amsterdam Centraal Stoptrein (NS)
00:33 Duivendrecht 1 Hilversum Stoptrein (NS)
00:48 Weesp 6 Lelystad Centrum Sprinter (NS)

i was at Slane 8/25/01, and it was twilight during the first 2 songs (just a small amount of light). nothing at all like the photos i've seen from the 2005 Vertigo show in Dublin, where it was REALLY bright out (almost looked like 5 pm here in the States!!). i would prefer for it to be pitch black, but once the music starts, i really won't care either way. :)

i was at Slane 8/25/01, and it was twilight during the first 2 songs (just a small amount of light). nothing at all like the photos i've seen from the 2005 Vertigo show in Dublin, where it was REALLY bright out (almost looked like 5 pm here in the States!!). i would prefer for it to be pitch black, but once the music starts, i really won't care either way. :)

what a day it was!! MY best concertexperience ever and it will be never be topped by anyone, anywhere:drool:

What? :uhoh: I didn't know thos.

I checked NS.nl and it told me there's a train leaving to Duivendrecht at 00.17 and then I can take the train towards Weesp, change on the train to Lelystad there. :scratch: If there are no trains, then why does it tell me that?

that train does indeed go to duivendrecht and from there you can ake that train you wanted. the trains stop around 01.00/01.30 in the netherlands with the exception (as I mentoined) of the nighttrains that go towards Utrecht, Rotterdam, The Hague and Schipol Airport where you an leave the amsterdam arena around 01.30. You WILL have plenty of time though s they will probably stop playing around 23:30 you still have 45 minutes to get to the station which is PLENTY of time. it is a 15 minute walk max

what a day it was!! MY best concertexperience ever and it will be never be topped by anyone, anywhere:drool:

wasn't it so amazing?? i am heading back to Dublin this summer to see U2 on their home turf for a second time, but i know that it will be nothing like Slane. Gorgeous sunny day, seeing Coldplay (before they got huge!), Red Hot Chili Peppers telling people to swing their shirts around their heads like helicopters (and dedicating a song to the lone security guard on the hill), and then (of course) U2... Really just magical! :up:

wasn't it so amazing?? i am heading back to Dublin this summer to see U2 on their home turf for a second time, but i know that it will be nothing like Slane. Gorgeous sunny day, seeing Coldplay (before they got huge!), Red Hot Chili Peppers telling people to swing their shirts around their heads like helicopters (and dedicating a song to the lone security guard on the hill), and then (of course) U2... Really just magical! :up:

we seem to take the same road :)
25th of july Dublin city :wave:

it was,indeed, magical. a completely sunny day witht the castle like a postcar, my brother and I were able to get into the heart so to say. I will NEVER forget that night and it was the ony concert where i ever cried :)

Because of the honeymoon there is no money left for he US this time like he Vertigotour but I won't complain at all :wink:

it was,indeed, magical. a completely sunny day witht the castle like a postcar, my brother and I were able to get into the heart so to say. I will NEVER forget that night and it was the ony concert where i ever cried :)

Because of the honeymoon there is no money left for he US this time like he Vertigotour but I won't complain at all :wink:

awesome about dublin!! i think europe will be better for seeing stadium shows than the US-- the european crowds seem (to me) to be generally more enthusiastic about huge stadium shows. :) and congrats on getting married! :up:

awesome about dublin!! i think europe will be better for seeing stadium shows than the US-- the european crowds seem (to me) to be generally more enthusiastic about huge stadium shows. :) and congrats on getting married! :up:

yeah I guess so. Well I can not wait to go to Dublin again. Man this will be my 7th time allready (some U2 related, some not) :wink:

that train does indeed go to duivendrecht and from there you can ake that train you wanted. the trains stop around 01.00/01.30 in the netherlands with the exception (as I mentoined) of the nighttrains that go towards Utrecht, Rotterdam, The Hague and Schipol Airport where you an leave the amsterdam arena around 01.30. You WILL have plenty of time though s they will probably stop playing around 23:30 you still have 45 minutes to get to the station which is PLENTY of time. it is a 15 minute walk max

Phew. I hope they won't make it too late then! :lol:

That's a relief!
BTW, how did U2 get home after the Vertigo shows at the Arena? Did they leave straight away? I understand there's a major road/motorway(?) running right by (if not into?) the Arena, so that would make for a very quick getaway..... Guess they wont be relying on Dutch Rail to get them home.. :sexywink:

That's a relief!
BTW, how did U2 get home after the Vertigo shows at the Arena? Did they leave straight away? I understand there's a major road/motorway(?) running right by (if not into?) the Arena, so that would make for a very quick getaway..... Guess they wont be relying on Dutch Rail to get them home.. :sexywink:

They went by car, back to the hotel.

Slane Castle 1 was amazing for the reasons you mentioned and for the magical show.. Bono coming on stage, kneeling making a cross while looking up to heaven (he buried his died the day before the show).. an emotional show.. the band playing 'a sort of homecoming'... I was halfway up the hill... what a view, what a show, what a night.. thinking of that a lot while listening to U2 music.. :applaud:

That's a relief!

Amsterdam 2 in 2005 U2 did a runner. The mini van was waiting backstage and the band left immediately after the show..

You're getting married, Zwervers? Congrats... It won't hurt:lol: I can tell from experience...
..I'll be going to both Amsterdam shows and Wembley in London.

I agree. We are not used to it.

I don't really care if it is daylight or not. I'll be there to enjoy the show.

Daylight isn't a big issue... the European Vertigo leg basically opened with a number of uptempo songs and by Elevation the crowd had gone bananas.. after about eight songs the screen was used properly.. this was the time it got dark...
....this time around it was announced that U2 will play after the curfew time of 23.00.. This implies that u2 will start later.. My guess would be 21.30 or so instead of the 21.00.

Back
Top Bottom