Edge's Microphone:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, sorry. I enjoy Garth's music and I think he's an great artist.
Seriously, what's bloody wrong with a headset mic? It's a freakin' mic, what matters is who's singing on it.
Would Paris Hilton look better singing on a normal mic? Would Bob Dylan lose any of his greatness singing on a headset? If you ask me, the answer is no.
I don't remember many artists using it, that's true... and anyway, I won't spend time looking for it on google. But like I said... it's just stupid to not use it since it's a pratical acessory that allows the performer to move and therefore, make a better show.
But I'm sure you would get tons of cash if you provided the musical world with a replacement as good as this. One that doesn't make you and other persons with your problem with this equipment "cringe". (Btw, if you ask me, this is the stupidest word in English language.)
I'm not being rude at you, that's just my two cents. Your reason is not a good reason to dismiss something that provides us a better show. It's narrow-minded and useless.
If other performers are as narrow-minded as you on this subeject, it's their own loss, 'cause they are not giving their public the best show possible. Respectable and brillant artists as Madonna, Garth and now U2 make a great use of this apparatus and I'm glad to be a fan of those three.
And aesthetically-wise, this looks good too.
Again, just my take on the subject.

the idea that Edge wearing a headset mic provides us with a better show is purely subjective, and i certainly to not share that opinion. i've been to a couple U2 shows, and believe me, they have certainly been "the best show possible." Edge does not need to wear a headset mic in order to play the best live shows in the world.

It would be weird if Bono had a headset microphone, that much is true. I don't see how it's weird for the backup singer, though.

simply calling Edge a backup singer is pretty insulting. his voice is as much a part of U2 as Bono's, in my opinion.

I'm not trying to make a statement about his importance as a vocalist by saying he is the backup singer. He IS the backup singer, that's his role. He's a very good one who has carried many a song with his strong vocals, but that doesn't mean that he's not the backup singer.

Jesus, you need to settle down more than the original poster.

I'm not trying to make a statement about his importance as a vocalist by saying he is the backup singer. He IS the backup singer, that's his role. He's a very good one who has carried many a song with his strong vocals, but that doesn't mean that he's not the backup singer.

Jesus, you need to settle down more than the original poster.

yeah, sorry. just getting a bit riled up. my apologies for that last bit.

if the argument is being made here that the headset mic helps the band connect with the audience -- U2 has been doing this for years! i would say that the outdoor Elevation shows were by far the most intimate stadium gigs of U2's career. they didn't need a bloody headset mic to bring the audience together.
He's also doing a lot more singing this tour, so you would rather have him stand still?

the microphone is not just a piece of equipment, it's an iconic symbol in the world of rock n roll, arguably as much as a guitar or a drum kit. would Roger Daltry or Freddie Mercury be looked at the same way if they wore fucking headset mics? hell, would Bono?
Did you not see the ZooTV tour? or Popmart?

Freddie just had that stupid "baton" mic stand... of course he was walking around playing an instrument either.

Hey, maybe Edge should just grow a third arm and all of this would be solved.

He's also doing a lot more singing this tour, so you would rather have him stand still?

Did you not see the ZooTV tour? or Popmart?

Freddie just had that stupid "baton" mic stand... of course he was walking around playing an instrument either.

Hey, maybe Edge should just grow a third arm and all of this would be solved.

i did see ZooTV and Popmart. Bono pranced around with a headset mic for a couple songs, making a big show of things and hamming it up. it was entertaining and very well done. but thank god he didn't use it for the entire show, right?

to be honest, yes, i would rather have Edge stand still (to sing, that is). his running around on this tour makes it seem like the band is trying too hard. 80s U2 would never, ever even have though of using a headset mic. they reveled in being "un-cool," and it was fucking awesome. ZooTV and Popmart were satires on being too mainstream and media-driven, on being "too cool." that was fucking awesome as well. Elevation, and Vertigo to some extent, were about being real. that was also pretty damn great. now they are trying too hard to please everyone, wearing headset mics and running around the stage. they are becoming the exact image which they so vividly rallied against on ZooTV and Popmart. U2 doesn't need to try. they don't need gimmicks or fancy crap. as awe-inspired as I am by The Claw, they don't even need that! they just need to plug in and play, and an entire stadium can be captivated. i hate to see them try so hard.

Sorry, I don't think Edge wearing a headset mic means that they are "trying too hard" or trying to be "cool."

How on earth is a headset mic a gimmick?

What if Edge runs to the little boys' room during the encore break and forgets to take it off?????

I think the point is they want as much freedom as possible to move around these big stadiums. I think if they wanted to be REAL COOL they should go back to microphones and guitars with big long cords and have some guy/gal running around behind them making sure the cords do not get tangled. that would be the coolest. then we would could also talk about the crappy outfits that the cord guys are wearing. You know back in the 70's they would just wear tshirts and jeans and now these guys are wearing leather and wrist bands....how gay. Then maybe bud light could do a commercial saluting your mr microphone cord guy. but i digress.

Jesus, the poor guy sings, plays guitar, and synths, and your complaining cause he's trying to make life a little easier on himself?

If you look at it from the angle that this is some sign that they're trying too hard, of course you're going to think this sucks. But that's because you're overthinking it: they look at it as technology that's been perfected and that they can use now that it's easier on Edge. Simple as that.

as for Edge's headset mic use on the Vertigo tour -- i hated it then also, but at least he didn't use it for the entire goddamn show.

On the Vertigo Tour, wasn't the headset mainly used so Edge could have the really cool double-vocal effect that made his falsetto chorus singing sound like it was in a big echo room?

wait a minute wait a MINUTE! :ohmy:

are you saying no more

bonoedgeelevmontreal01.jpg

or

BonoEdgetipofheart11-23-20012ndlegE.jpg

or

bonoedgevertigofriendliness.jpg

:sad:

oh wait

edgenbonosweaty.jpg

whew... k nevermind :)

:wink:

What's with all the gay comments around here the past couple of days?

Surely the "phallic" comment could have stood on its own with your point intact.

On the Vertigo Tour, wasn't the headset mainly used so Edge could have the really cool double-vocal effect that made his falsetto chorus singing sound like it was in a big echo room?

you wouldn't use 2 mics to get that effect. it would just get sloppy and messy. that can be much more easily controlled with an effects rack.

yes, that headset is truly an eyesore.

if im at a concert, and ive seen U2 31 times now, the last thing i am noticing is what mic edge is using. or wearing. you guys seriously have to be shitting me.

maybe one of the crew could just carry the mic stand around wherever Edge goes...that would not be distracting:wink:

Looks fine,works fine, love it, works well in the context of the stage design and the heavy reliance upon backing vocals on key Horizon songs such as MoS and Sexy Bootz.

Back
Top Bottom