Does anyone NOT care about seeing them this time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon Seidman

The Fly
I have seen U2 on every tour that came to the US since the Joshua Tree, sometimes multiple shows per tour. I have literally everything they have ever recorded and I would consider myself a "big fan". However, I don't really care about seeing them on this tour. The experience is not going to be worth the inconvenience and expense for me. First of all, the nearest they are playing is a 4 hour drive for me. Second, it's going to cost a buttload. Third, even though I really like the new album, I am not so psyched to hear it live. This brings me to my main reason. I will probably have "seen" or at least "heard" the show online about a dozen times beforehand. I have already seen/heard a bunch of stuff from these recent promo performances and I am like, eh... yeah, that's what I expected. That is what happened with the last tour. I pretty much knew the setlist ahead of time and thanks to the internet, I had heard every show prior to mine. It just wasn't so exciting to be there when the night came, even though they played some great old stuff. I wasn' surprised. I could have gone to the trouble of getting tix for this tour but since I didn't bother, that must tell me it is not worth it to me.

Now if I got to see them in a 1000 seat venue, and the setlist was really good and full of unusual songs, that would be a different story. I'd probably give my left nut to be there then.

Anyone else feeling kind of blah about this upcoming tour?

I do not feel blah about the tour, I really want to see them. However, I am pretty sure I will only see them if they come to Detroit. I try to be reasonable with concert spending, so I don't want to go nuts and travel too far and have to book hotels and stuff. I will be bummed out if I do not get to a chance to see them on this tour, but I also know it will not be the end of the world.

Oh, how I hope they come to Detroit though!

definitely not feeling "blah" - but the only pretour stuff I've seen/heard so far has been the Letterman performances, and I probably won't see/hear any shows before Chicago on Sept. 12. I'm sure I'll peek at some set lists, but the show will be still plenty novel for me when it rolls around.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I get the feeling the people not really interested in this tour might not exactly be present in the Tour Forum.

Once U2 start touring & everyone sees images/sounds/setlist I think many will show interest. I want to see them, but my excitement level is pretty low because its so far out. Come summer though the mayhem will begin & my AMEX will have charges beyond my control :wave:

I am feeling the same way you are. This feels like the end of an era for me. For the first time, I'm not into U2's new stuff. I'm not that thrilled with the new album (I haven't listened to it in a couple of weeks), and I was even more disappointed with the tour announcement on Monday: bizarre choice of cities to play (at least in North America) and a problematic stage design that will make getting good seats more difficult than usual. Plus, I'm not all that thrilled that they increased the most expensive ticket price in the face of the economic crisis, nor am I thrilled that they have a corporate tour sponsor, even if it is something as ubiquitous as Blackberry.

To be honest, I could barely get through the Good Morning America set they did last week. Something about the promotional tour has been very off-putting to me. My friends and relatives say that they are "tired of U2," and, for once, I share their sentiment.

Having said that, I'll probably try to get tickets to the Vegas show. If I go, it won't be as big a deal as it used to be, and I'll probably shoot for the $30 tickets (which will likely be obstructed by those goddamn lighting & speaker towers at the far end of the field). Who knows, I wouldn't put it past U2 to eliminate the $30 tickets in Vegas because the place only seats 38,000 people.

If I can't get the $30 tickets, I would be content not seeing them this year. Radiohead is hinting that they may tour this summer, which would help me deal with the "Beginning of U2's Irrelevance." With the high ticket prices for good stadium seats, demand for U2 tickets may be light, and they'll hopefully tour arenas next summer.

I know exactly how you feel since I felt that way for the last tour. We had tickets for Atlanta, and I ended up selling them to a friend because it looked to me like Elevation tour part II. Sure, it would have been great to hear them do something like An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart like they did at some shows, or maybe Crumbs, but outside of that it didn't appear there was going to be anything special about that tour. I'm glad we didn't do the drive from Raleigh to Atlanta, because the setlist for the show we missed was sort of ho hum.

We did do U23D last year, and confirmed that, yes, the show was still exciting (Miss Sarajevo was stunning), but that was enough for us.

We are excited about this tour, though. The last two albums were a little safe for my liking, and ATYCLB in particular included a couple of embarassing songs - sounded like show tunes. Looking forward to hearing the newer songs live.

Anyhow, I know where you're coming from. I sort of like to sit out a tour and let it get a little fresher.

I have never not wanted to see U2 play live. I don't think that will ever change. I will say prior to Elevation I was not as excited to see them as I normally would be. Obviously I still went and went to numerous shows and was very happy I did.

What I have found through the years and seeing them 38 times is that you don't and can't really get a feel for a particular U2 tour unless you actually attend it. I have seen every tour (except Lovetown) since The Joshua Tree tour. Every single one of them has a different feel or "vibe" if you will that you really can't experience by seeing it on TV or on DVD/video or hearing about it. It has to be experienced in person or its just not the same thing. As an example, I hear people on this board that rave about Zoo TV as the greatest tour ever and they didn't go to it. I liked Zoo TV, a lot, I'm fortunate I was able to see it 8 times. But was it the greatest ever, not really. I didn't and don't think it was head and shoulders above any other U2 tour that I have seen. But I think it goes back to actually experiencing it in person.

That is why I will never miss a tour. I thought Vertigo looked like Elevation part II at the start also. But it didn't feel like Elevation at all when I attended and I got to see songs played I never thought I would hear U2 play in person again. (IE Zoo Station, Electric Co, An Cat Dubh, Gloria, Wild Horses, First Time). I think if you really are a fan (I'm skeptical about how big of a fan some on this board are versus other bands they think are superior lately for whatever reason... ;) ) then you shouldn't skip ANY U2 tour if you have the choice and are able to attend physically and financially.

err, no

We are excited about this tour, though. The last two albums were a little safe for my liking, and ATYCLB in particular included a couple of embarassing songs - sounded like show tunes. Looking forward to hearing the newer songs live.

Anyhow, I know where you're coming from. I sort of like to sit out a tour and let it get a little fresher.

Wow . . .
me thinks maybe a couple of people have been spoilt for tix in the past . . . this little chickadee here has seen the band every tour since Lovetown in these parts, granted only in my home city . . . and knows the agony that is 'U2 not touring here this time' so maybe that informs my excitement / anticipation about the upcoming tour?

Will probably stay away from live streams / concert footage once the tour gets underway (if its announced that we have a chance to see them again) just so I get a little suprise as opposed to knowing exactly whats coming

so excited to hear all the new stuff though . . . the bits and bobs they have been throwing out there to promote the new album has been amping my adrenalin levels (and ticket anxiety levels to boot :wink: )

my two cents

:)

I have never not wanted to see U2 play live. I don't think that will ever change. I will say prior to Elevation I was not as excited to see them as I normally would be. Obviously I still went and went to numerous shows and was very happy I did.

What I have found through the years and seeing them 38 times is that you don't and can't really get a feel for a particular U2 tour unless you actually attend it. I have seen every tour (except Lovetown) since The Joshua Tree tour. Every single one of them has a different feel or "vibe" if you will that you really can't experience by seeing it on TV or on DVD/video or hearing about it. It has to be experienced in person or its just not the same thing. As an example, I hear people on this board that rave about Zoo TV as the greatest tour ever and they didn't go to it. I liked Zoo TV, a lot, I'm fortunate I was able to see it 8 times. But was it the greatest ever, not really. I didn't and don't think it was head and shoulders above any other U2 tour that I have seen. But I think it goes back to actually experiencing it in person.

That is why I will never miss a tour. I thought Vertigo looked like Elevation part II at the start also. But it didn't feel like Elevation at all when I attended and I got to see songs played I never thought I would hear U2 play in person again. (IE Zoo Station, Electric Co, An Cat Dubh, Gloria, Wild Horses, First Time). I think if you really are a fan (I'm skeptical about how big of a fan some on this board are versus other bands they think are superior lately for whatever reason... ;) ) then you shouldn't skip ANY U2 tour if you have the choice and are able to attend physically and financially.

You make a good point. I was NOT excited for the Elevation tour (thought ATYCLB had some great songs but weak overall), but was completely blown away once I saw the show. Likewise, I did get the different vibe of Vertigo vs. Elevation once I saw U23D, but I still don't regret forgoing the inconvenience (Raleigh is 6 hours away from Hotlanta) and expense of sitting that show out.

The whole notion of how big a fan one is gets a little silly - I think it's clearly possible to be a massive fan and say, you know, money doesn't grow on trees, so I think I'll pass on blowing a grand (with hotels, tickets, etc) this time around. I forgot to mention that my $130 seats were shit - I don't mind paying for good seats (and, I love GA in clubs for smaller bands, but don't prefer it at big shows - brings out the worst in people), but I do mind paying that much for 2nd level. I have gotten to the point that I will not do an arena or shed show unless I have really good seats (or pit tiks with a small, managable crowd like for Radiohead). Somehow I'm willing to ease up on that for a stadium gig - I guess the scale of it all makes a crappy arena seat a pretty good stadium seat :)

I have never not wanted to see U2 live since 1992 and I still didn't get to see them until PopMart.

I have to say, there were songs on the last two albums that I didn't like until I heard live, "Love and Peace" being one of them. I don't know, I'd say that I'd still give the new songs a chance live before I dismissed the album entirely.

That being said, I'm beyond excited for the tour!

Yep, I hear you. Before the album was released, I was angling to add at least 8 more shows this tour to get me to 40 shows since Unforgettable Fire. I heard the album and now I'm totally "meh" about it. I have conveniently forgotten to tune in for any of the promo stuff live, and what I chase down afterwards I'm not thrilled with it. I don't know why, I want to like it, I just can't. It's got nothing to do with cost, the economy or age. Sure I am older than I was 5 years ago (aren't we all?), but I have 4 other concerts to go to in the next 6 months that I'm a lot more excited for than this. I know this frustrates certain friends of mine (you know who you are if you're reading this) but I just can't explain it.

I will probably go at least to the show/shows in my hometown because I have the fan club membership and have always taken my best friend from college...she is putting it to me that I'd be letting her down otherwise. But if I didn't have that commitment, probably not, and this time I'm definitely not traveling for shows like I did the last few tours.

I'm still trying to decide if they are relevant or if this is their "their Steel Wheels". Remember, that the Stones album in 1989 was actually decent and sold seven(?) million copies.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I get the feeling the people not really interested in this tour might not exactly be present in the Tour Forum.

:lol: very true.

I am absolutely stoked about the tour. So yes, I care about seeing them. This only happens once every four years, and who knows how long U2 will still be touring - probably not more than 10 years would be my guess? Who knows. Point is, see them while you have the chance, while they're still (imo) in their prime. I guess you could argue they peaked with ZooTV or whatever tour is your favourite, but based on Vertigo tour and what we've seen of the new songs they're still fantastic live. September 12th cannot come soon enough!

4 hour drive not worth it? I an in for an 11 hour drive and looking forward to it. Bringing along my girlfriend and best buddy. Why so negative?

im pretty excited just because U2 live is like the biggest adrenaline rush ever but im not so happy about the $$$$$ & inconvience

This has been going on since 1990. Please stop. Barring health issue, they'll keep going - what else can any of them do with their time? Several of their kids are now University age.

I don't get what you're saying? they're going to stop eventually :huh: hate to break it to you but as far as I know U2 are still mortal beings :wink:

Back
Top Bottom