Does anyone NOT care about seeing them this time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^^^Blue Room what is your favorite tour/show?

:hmm: Its tough really. I liked every tour I have seen for different reasons. I think I had the best time though on Popmart. I saw some fantastic shows on that tour (I have every tour really) and I got to hang out with some great people. Chicago sticks out there, three night in a row and the "vibe" I was referring to in my prior post in Chicago that weekend was incredible. One of the greatest times of my life really.

I think setlist wise I would say Vertigo. Electric Co! Enough said! :)

I'm older - 37, and this tour is like an imperative. Being older with kids means sacrificing a lot of things, but going to Chicago (6 hours from here) is a no-brainer.

Which is nice. I'm probably not as geeked about the production this time around; it's more about the whole package - a weekend away, etc.

You make a good point. I was NOT excited for the Elevation tour (thought ATYCLB had some great songs but weak overall), but was completely blown away once I saw the show. Likewise, I did get the different vibe of Vertigo vs. Elevation once I saw U23D, but I still don't regret forgoing the inconvenience (Raleigh is 6 hours away from Hotlanta) and expense of sitting that show out.

The whole notion of how big a fan one is gets a little silly - I think it's clearly possible to be a massive fan and say, you know, money doesn't grow on trees, so I think I'll pass on blowing a grand (with hotels, tickets, etc) this time around. I forgot to mention that my $130 seats were shit - I don't mind paying for good seats (and, I love GA in clubs for smaller bands, but don't prefer it at big shows - brings out the worst in people), but I do mind paying that much for 2nd level. I have gotten to the point that I will not do an arena or shed show unless I have really good seats (or pit tiks with a small, managable crowd like for Radiohead). Somehow I'm willing to ease up on that for a stadium gig - I guess the scale of it all makes a crappy arena seat a pretty good stadium seat :)

If you look at the last part of my post I said as long as you are physically and financially able I think a U2 fan should go and I think most fans that love this band would if that criteria is met. :shrug: I never said you have to go to a certain amount of shows to be a "true" fan. I never even said "true" fan. In fact, I hate it when people throw that term out there as there is no "true" fan definition. If you like U2, you are a fan. Lately though I have questioned why a few posters in the forum in general are here (wasn't directing it at you) as they seem more interested in how they feel other bands are superior to U2 and continue to want to point that out. Not sure what that agenda is really on a U2 board.

:hmm: Its tough really. I liked every tour I have seen for different reasons. I think I had the best time though on Popmart. I saw some fantastic shows on that tour (I have every tour really) and I got to hang out with some great people. Chicago sticks out there, three night in a row and the "vibe" I was referring to in my prior post in Chicago that weekend was incredible. One of the greatest times of my life really.

I think setlist wise I would say Vertigo. Electric Co! Enough said! :)

For some reason I knew you'll say Popmart. I know what your talking about U2 shows (Tour) giving a different feel. And Popmart for me at least was such an emotional show & I remember Bono talking in interviews right before the tour that they wanted it to be an emotional show. It was such a natural emotion at that show. Song placement, lighting, & venues (stadiums/outdoors) just gave Popmart a ton of heart.

I know many aren't too big on stadiums but its an awesome feeling to be at a show outdoors. I was in GA, but going to the Vertigo Stadium show in Monterrey Mexico displayed some very scenic back drops. Something arenas can't do

U2%20Monterrey%201.jpg

However, I don't really care about seeing them on this tour. I will probably have "seen" or at least "heard" the show online about a dozen times beforehand. I have already seen/heard a bunch of stuff from these recent promo performances and I am like, eh... yeah, that's what I expected. That is what happened with the last tour. I pretty much knew the setlist ahead of time and thanks to the internet, I had heard every show prior to mine. It just wasn't so exciting to be there when the night came, even though they played some great old stuff. I wasn' surprised.

I have a cure for what ails you...do NOT listen to any bootlegs, watch any Youtube videos, or visit any set list threads before the concert (that's what I plan to do from now until they play Boston in Sept.) and you WILL be surprised. I did this with the album and was rewarded for my abstinence. It's a brilliant album and the songs in a full concert setting are going to be amazing.

That said, I knew all the setlists from Vertigo and it didn't diminish the concert for me whatsoever...but it's kind of like a challenge for me to avoid the stuff when they start to tour in Europe. It'll make it all that much better.

I dunno, I just can't see U2 touring like this when they're 70. 60 maybe but eventually they're going to retire and probably stop making albums too :shrug: hopefully won't happen for a long time but yeah

In some ways it's a good thing u2 are kinda bad musicians, in that they don't really ever play with outsider musicians very often.

Dylan and McCartney still tour arenas at 65ish. BB King still tours at 85+, although he has slowed down slightly.

While ability to play multiple nights a week and tour for months at a time are needed for big budget tours, nothing stops u2 from touring on a smaller scale until their 80's.

I dont not want to see them, but I do begrudge the inconvienence of getting the tickets and the travel costs. Its a very expensive thing for 2 hours of pleasure.

the cost, arranging babysitters, the torture of fighting for a frenzied hour while tickets are on sale... this time, i'm not feeling too much excitement for a tour. i really like the new album, but fitting in such a night out is too ridiculously difficult at this time. and that bums me. concerts never used to be a shitfight. it was the easiest thing in the world getting good seats to any band. nowadays, not so.
:sigh:

If you're both single, Jon and Pudgie, you'd make a great couple.

If it works out you should consider getting

debbie_downer.jpg

to officiate.

Before you post your usual 'defend U2 at any cost' drivel, you should read the posts you're commenting on. Jon was in no way a 'downer' in his post. He simply shared his feeling as a fan and asked if anyone else feels the same.

I don't agree with him, but that's no reason to discount his opinion.

I like this album a whole lot more than the last 2, but I'll pass this time (yeah yeah yeah, more tickets for you, I know.....gee anyone got ANYTHING more original than that ???)

1. I personally hate stadium shows, being that far from the band may as well just watch on TV, yes I went to Popmart, Zoo and the 2nd leg of JT, but the pricing was also a lot more reasonable back then
2. Stadium shows at the Rose Bowl suck even more, so much for "tiered stadiums only"
3. Ticket prices + "convenience fees" for the decent seats are just ridiculous, add in parking, time off work, the $20 parking, the $12 beer and the $10 slice of pizza etc. Just too many other priorities these days. I can go see multiple smaller band shows for the price of U2, and I'll actually see the band.

I am pumped and can't wait to see them.

But I'll only be seeing the shows (hopefully 2) in Toronto on the second leg of this tour because I have other things going on in my life that don't permit me to travel and line up and take loads of time off work. Also, in light of the economic situation, I don't want to be the one person at work gone for days at a time to line up at concerts, that's a bit of a gamble with how things are going.

2010 might be a different story though!

:up::D:up::D

Well, I was 5 feet from The Edge last time and even though that will be a tuff act to follow I will be following! Even the lousiest seat equates to a Live performance!

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

If you're both single, Jon and Pudgie, you'd make a great couple.

If it works out you should consider getting [Debbie Downer] to officiate.

I am Debbie Downer about the tour so far, I'll fess up. The band has been less than truthful about ticket prices, IMO, so I have no idea how much I would have to pay to have a reasonable seat at Sam Boyd Stadium (and I do need a seat because GA won't work for me or my friends). Like I said in another post, I think the average ticket price in Las Vegas may be considerably higher because of the market and the small stadium size.

Odd reference, by the way.

Well, I'm glad I made you laugh somehow, even if you are a bit of a dickhead.

Pot calling kettle black! :up:

I am looking forward to the tour. I wasn't so hyped before the Vetigo tour and then the tickets went on sale and I was sucked in.

Another thing....it is ALWAYS fun to see/meet interferencers at the shows. Just another advantage of the tour.

1. I personally hate stadium shows, being that far from the band may as well just watch on TV, yes I went to Popmart, Zoo and the 2nd leg of JT, but the pricing was also a lot more reasonable back then
I've got seating tickets now that are cheaper than my POPMart tickets were
when you take inflation into consideration the GA tickets work out cheaper than at POPMart also

:shrug:

I've got seating tickets now that are cheaper than my POPMart tickets were
when you take inflation into consideration the GA tickets work out cheaper than at POPMart also

:shrug:

Yeah, some may be "cheaper than Popmart" but most aren't, Popmart didn't have a huge chunk of tickets at >/= $90 IIRC

Inflation at least in my case, has typically been less then merit increases in salary, so in real dollars they should have actually increased LESS than they did.

Yeah, some may be "cheaper than Popmart" but most aren't, Popmart didn't have a huge chunk of tickets at >/= $90 IIRC

Inflation at least in my case, has typically been less then merit increases in salary, so in real dollars they should have actually increased LESS than they did.

People can bitch about the ticket prices but it's not going to change anything. You either suck it up and buy the more expensive ones or go for the cheaper option. I still think the prices for most tickets were cheap enough/more or less what I would expect to pay.

sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here

what I do know is that when you compare these ticket prices to other stadium shows U2 could have charged quite a bit more

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom