Did this really happen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnnRKeyintheUSA

War Child
A friend told me this story today and says it's true, but it sounds more like a joke to me. Did something like this really happen or not? I know you guys would know.

A recent concert:

Bono comes to the edge of the stage and claps his hands. He waits a few seconds, claps again. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Then he finally speaks. "Every time I clap my hands, a poor child in Africa DIES!"

then somebody in the audience yells out:

"Then stop clapping, you sadistic asshole!"

Most stories say it happened in Glasgow. Well I was there that night and I sure as hell don't remember Bono making the crowd go silent and then clap along to him.

In otherwords, it's utter bullshit. Just another joke made at the B-mans expense.

Robin Williams has been closing his stand up shows with that joke. He starts of by talking about people saying they look alike, then does that joke

SMB

bonoeatsbabies.gif

Slightly off-topic, but I followed a link from the Snopes site onto the main Make Poverty History website. Go and watch the original 'Click' video - looking back on it with a few year's perspective, it seems unspeakably pompous now. (Yes, I know the whole campaign was sincerely managed with the best of intentions, but there's still something nauseating about celebrities telling us what to do.)

my favorite Bono moment is when he yelled at a fan for talking on his cell phone, and then 4 songs later, apologized and told everyone to take out their cell phones.

Back
Top Bottom