Concert camera?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buy it and sneak it into stadiums, no problem.

Arena security crews will be difficult, though, so go to another concert right before the U2 show and hide it in the bathroom.

I don't think you will have a problem getting it in. If I remember correctly only cameras with a detachable lens were not aloud by the fans only by the press.

I'm going to be screwed getting my DSLR in, I just about managed getting my last digital camera into a gig in London (by wearing a coat, having the camera on the strap and hanging in the small of my back) but I doubt this'll work with my Nikon D40. Anyone any tips?

I don't think you will have a problem getting it in. If I remember correctly only cameras with a detachable lens were not aloud by the fans only by the press.

My smaller Canon I got in to many shows by keeping out in my hand and showing security. Never got denied. This one seems quite a bit bulkier.

I would love it if people could share what kind of camera they use and the best setting for concert pictures. I currently have a Canon SD880 and a Panisonic Lumix TZ4. Any tips?

the Lumix has 10x zoom which is awesome btw.

Oooh! Great thread!

I also would love to read anyone's camera recommendations.
I have a Nikon S700 that is great in general, but sucks in low light and fast action even when using the "fast" setting.

Can anyone recommend a digital point and shoot that actually works in a concert setting? Low light, bright light, fast action. I'd consider 8MP but would prefer 10-12MP.

Also, I'd love to bring my Nikon D40X, but security will take it. Even if you manage to sneak it in, it will be at risk for being taken if security sees you using it. I know some people have gotten full DSLRs in before, but it totally depends on the venue and their enforcement. They can't stop small cameras and phones, but I wouldn't risk a big investment like a DSLR---not to mention the risk of the idiot spilling/splashing his beer.

Mark

yes, great thread!

Please I too, would love to know the best settings for a point and shoot too. I still can't seem to get it right enough. I have a Canon SD950 IS/12MP with a 3.7 optical zoom and a 15x digital zoom.

PowerShot SX10 IS Digital Camera

Yep, I'm going with this one. I'm a bit concerned that it's bulkier than my old Canon, but it's got the flip out screen and no one else has that. You can put the camera over your head and angle the screen down and take perfect shots over a crowd.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f195/miscellaneous-picture-mix-27-a-190204-33.html

This thread starting on page 33 and spread out over the next 10 pages or so shows some examples from my old Canon. It was an "A-something" don't remember the model, the ex-wife took it :doh: Even the good ones have a bit of blur to them. I'd like to avoid that this time around. Just need a faster shutter I hope.

I'm just excited to have a digital point and shoot this time around....I had to use the crap disposable cameras last time around :reject:

That's alright, so did we. Our pictures were absolute crap on Vertigo...we were up too high for decent shots. We've a Kodak C340 that we're taking this round, and possibly investing in either an Olympic or Nikon digital camera as well.

I would love it if people could share what kind of camera they use and the best setting for concert pictures. I currently have a Canon SD880 and a Panisonic Lumix TZ4. Any tips?

the Lumix has 10x zoom which is awesome btw.

I've got a Lumix as well - that camera rocks even if you take away the 10x zoom

It is a little bulkier than the sony cybershot I have but the difference in the picture is worth the size

If you manage to sneak in a camera and security sees you taking pics, will they try to take it away in the middle of the show?

No - they are obliged to give you at least one warning.

I can't see it being a problem anyway, camera bans are only enforced if the artist explicitly instruct the venue to do so (and I can't see U2 doing that). In the unlikely event U2 do ask for a ban on cameras it will be made 100% clear on the way in and (sadly) security will take great pleasure in being over-zealous with a little bit of power given to them.

If you manage to sneak in a camera and security sees you taking pics, will they try to take it away in the middle of the show?

As posted, it depends on venue and artist. I have been caught 3 times, with 3 different artists. The busts resulted in: batteries being held by security until the end (with a compact !), being asked to erase all photos I took with my dslr and take it to my car (or check it) at Springsteen, and being harassed by a singer's personal bodyguard (with a non-dslr superzoom in the 2nd row). I've had more success than failure however with getting the dslr in and getting some good shots. And I was able to un-delete the photos from the memory card. For U2 this tour, I plan on using a superzoom (non-dslr) unless the rules prove to be lax.

Nikon P80

just bought the nikon coolpix p80. love it for shows. 18x optical zoom. nikon quality. a little bulky but its the most camera they're gonna let you in with...

great, then my fuji 5600 will be fine.
phew.

Gonna get spare batteries somehow, do those get checked?

I've got an SLR. Can't find my zoom lense but hoping I can find it before all the gigs I'm going to this year. I took the SLR with standard lense to Radiohead. I just had it out of my bag ready for inspection so it didn't look like I had anything to hide and they just asked if I had any extra lenses and since I didn't it was all good.

I'm hoping the same will happen if I end up getting a ticket to U2. Just keep you spare lense (if it's not TOO big) in a pocket or somewhere safe on you rather than your bag as bags always get checked inside and out.

Back
Top Bottom