Close-Up Photos> Back-Rail Pit? OR Rail Outside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzledbylight

Blue Crack Supplier
:wave:wave:

HI!

The other thread was helpful but i guess I need a bit more specifics.... for taking photos.
Here's my situation......

I & friends have never been able to get really close seats OR GA (once that started up) for U2 in the 26 years I've been seeing them in concert...
TILL NOW Weds at Giants Stadium!

U2 is NOT the first band I've loved early on, and then
watch them rise to Super Fame!

BUT in those cases: The Who & Springsteen
I was ABLE to get great seats
OR allowed to run up to the front and stay there!:ohmy::hyper:
I've gotten some great photos over the decades of them & other bands.
I even took photos for 2 local bands in the 2nd set of bands that played CBGB's and Max's back in 76 -78. I'm really serious about this & good at it-
a labor of R&R Live love!

I want the best possible viewing spot/ area for taking pics of Bono & Edge in particular, but Larry as he goes around during "Crazy" if they do that that night. And I'm sure Adam will be on the catwalk too!

I don't think I'll be comfortable right up or in the 2 - 5th row of the stage rail.
I think I'd like to be able to lean ona rail front or my back

SO I am probably going for the back rail or outer catwalk rail & esp be near the bridge on B & E's side when it moves toward the center.

MY CONCERN IS from what you have have seen/remember.....

IF I am by the BACK RAIL that they will be facing the outer audience most of the time....

I figure I can get good side & 3/4 views as they go on and come off the bridge onto the Catwalk.

If I'm on the Outside of circle rail maaAAAYybbe i can get a more OF a variety of photos.
I ALSO EXPECT to use my Optical Zoom for pics of the stage....

WHAT do you people thinK? :help: :D :help:

***Thanks!***

Dazzled, the thing that I found on the back rail inside the pit is that when they did stop by me on the catwalk, they were generally facing outward, so I got a lot of great shots of their backs. :lol: I was also very close to where the bridges stopped several times, but didn't get many good pics then either, because of their constant movement.

Despite getting a ton of great pics last tour, I phailed at concert photography this tour. :happy: :lol:

What kind of camera do you have? (Plan on using?)

hi! Thanks for asking.

Years ago I had a lovely mid-range:heart: SLR that I used for taking all the photos mentioned in my 1st post.

That finally broke (and my income went down). But a kind friend 5 yrs ago
gave me her used 3 Meg camera- no Optical Zoom, just 4x Digital Zoom. I was all together grateful just the same!

But NOW I was reccently given a used Cannon Power Shot 560A
with 7.1 megsabout 2 months ago. :hyper: it was an upgrade for me!

It's got a 4X Optical Zoom + additional Digital Zm up to ?12 or to 16X's.
For U2 I'd refrain from using the added digital most of the time, or use the lowest 2 boosts.
I don't use it much either in the other photography I do.

I KNOW I can get good R & R action photos etc....
because I just ROAD-TESTED it on
Unforgetable Fire
(a great U2 Tribute band) 8 days ago! :lol:

I've use the Cannon on Manual which I mostly did with my SLR, too.
I'm able to adjust things pretty rapidly.

I used both the Optical Zoom, or regular setting for single photos
with or without flash.
THEN for the first time I tried out
the continous shooting mode w/o flash (for much more rapid pics).

I got some good toreally good photos!
I was really pleased!

I had to occasionally duck people to the back & left side of me
(my friends were on the right side). So that was also like it sometimes
was
way back before under concert arena, or club conditions.

All that has given me some confidence that I could get some good stuff
under the right conditions - ie: a good spot!!! :wink:

Please-- sugest away! :D ....and thanks again!

Dazzled, the thing that I found on the back rail inside the pit is that when they did stop by me on the catwalk, they were generally facing outward, so I got a lot of great shots of their backs. :lol: I was also very close to where the bridges stopped several times, but didn't get many good pics then either, because of their constant movement.

Despite getting a ton of great pics last tour, I phailed at concert photography this tour. :happy: :lol:

:( aaaaaawwww VP! :hug:

see that's what I WAS worried about.........

thnaks for answering, too. :hug:

I was on the outer rail for Chicago 1 and IMO it's the perfect spot for taking pics. You get great shots of them when they're on the catwalk and when they're on the stage. You also don't have to worry about someone being directly in front of you like if you were on the back rail of the pit. Here's a couple shots I took from the outer rail. I use a Panasonic DMC-ZS3.

P1010101.jpg

P1010110.jpg

P1010055.jpg

The rest are here: MobileMe Gallery

I was on the outer rail for Chicago 1 and IMO it's the perfect spot for taking pics. You get great shots of them when they're on the catwalk and when they're on the stage. You also don't have to worry about someone being directly in front of you like if you were on the back rail of the pit. Here's a couple shots I took from the outer rail. I use a Panasonic DMC-ZS3.

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::drool:

ooOOHHHhhhhhhh !!!!
:applaud::applaud:

WOAH... IF I could get pics like that.....I'd....

I'd be....... ...beside myself with JOY!!!:loveshower:

:lol::lol:

I've goten pics as good as that ( though not quite as close) for Bruce & the Who.
ANd goten closer photos like that for some other bands, but never U2 in alllll these decades!
Finally finally............... I'll get those kind of pics of U2 !!!!

Were you between Bono & Edge, center, or centerish- but a bit off-center left ?
I took a peek at the rest of yours, will have look more on Mon wehen I have free Net (at a $ cafe now) but looks gooood!!!!

:hmm:
have to look at some of theconcert print-outs I have from here and on-line I have to
guestimate where the bridge stoped to make sure I am "ahead of it" so they're (u2) going towards the center and would pass me. near :faint: :lol:

ON that other thread >>
i think- some one said on the ohter thread that the
inner back of the pit there were glowy green masking/duct tape to guide the bridges to stop there....

thanks!

I was front rail inside the pit and took some fab pictures. However, you miss out on the video visuals.

If I make it to another show, I'm going for outer rail next time.

I was about halfway between the center and the claw leg on the outer rail. The bridge stopped a few feet to my right.

dazzled...doesn't that take a long time to post with all that stuff going on in each post?

:lol: I've always noticed this I just never said anything....don't you get sick of coloring stuff and putting it in bold, italics, etc. etc...?

Just to give you another perspective, I was on the outside rail in Red Zone 2 for Chicago 2. I was on the back rail of the inner circle for Chicago 1. I personally liked the outer rail better. You still are close to the band, but the few extra feet makes the screen that much easier to soak in (especially when you are not taking photos).

Here are some of my pics so that you can see some more of what it possible from outer rail.

James Mikolajczyk's Photos - U2 - Chicago 2 | Facebook

dazzled...doesn't that take a long time to post with all that stuff going on in each post?

:lol: I've always noticed this I just never said anything....don't you get sick of coloring stuff and putting it in bold, italics, etc. etc...?

:lol:

well,rob, if I have to post fast -I don't do all that stuff- (or more emtionally quiet)
or maybe just a little..... like here---vvvvvv

ANd yeah, :lol: it DOES take more time.

But since I have been doing it alot through my years here--
I'vr gotten faster at it- at times! :up::lol:

But, I'm an Artist/ Designer/ Craftswoman etc ,
and I come from a very expressive,
pretty big
(on my mom's side) Greek-American family--
So-- it's kind of in my blood to be expressive emotionally
in general, AND visually with type formats/sizes & colors etc
when I feel strongly -- excited/joyful/sad/mad etc :D

so that's why! :)

Just to give you another perspective, I was on the outside rail in Red Zone 2 for Chicago 2. I was on the back rail of the inner circle for Chicago 1. I personally liked the outer rail better. You still are close to the band, but the few extra feet makes the screen that much easier to soak in (especially when you are not taking photos).

Here are some of my pics so that you can see some more of what it possible from outer rail.

James Mikolajczyk's Photos - U2 - Chicago 2 | Facebook

*THANKS*, james!!! :wave:

HOT DAMN,
you have some great photos there!

When My 2 shows are over with and I can be coherent again-- :lol:
I'll look at the large size versions of your photo "thumbnails"!

straiht on Artistically-- that one around 4 -or 5
on the top row second page--

with ?? purple red sections of the screen
and the Bridge bathed in purple with who ever is on it

WO_AH!! that's so beautiful!!!

I am out for Kick-ass R&R pics as well as some emotional ones and some very artisitic ones with compostions/ colors
maybe inteentional effects etc

I'll ahve 2 2GB cards so i can can just snap away!!

I keep my cannon on maunuel and check to see if I need to adjust stuff etc

thanks again! :wave: :)

TONY-- I'm loving that Edge & Adams photo! :applaud::applaud:

wehn I get time tomorrow or after my shows are done--
I'll get to look at the rest of your stuff!

thanks!! :wave:

Hi Dazzledbylight :wave:

I was inside the claw right at the outer rail by the catwalk at both London shows. Its also great a you can take the whole experience in :drool:

I use a small finepix point and shoot, its the f30, with 6.3 megapixels. I have posted my shots (they are edited, with paint.net) over at flickr here: U2 360 Tour Wembley, London, August 15 - edited Pictures - a set on Flickr
U2 360 Tour Wembley, London, August 14 - edited Pictures - a set on Flickr

You can see the screen, but also they are pretty close. For the first night, I was slightly to Adams side, second night, middle, a little over the the edge. The bridge were right next to me, and you get Bono to sing right above you, watch Larry on the Bongo, Edge play right next to you and Adam will smile at you as well.

Not a bad spot!

Hope this helps and good luck, wish I could go again!!!!:hyper:

:lol:

well,rob, if I have to post fast -I don't do all that stuff- (or more emtionally quiet)
or maybe just a little..... like here---vvvvvv

ANd yeah, :lol: it DOES take more time.

But since I have been doing it alot through my years here--
I'vr gotten faster at it- at times! :up::lol:

But, I'm an Artist/ Designer/ Craftswoman etc ,
and I come from a very expressive,
pretty big
(on my mom's side) Greek-American family--
So-- it's kind of in my blood to be expressive emotionally
in general, AND visually with type formats/sizes & colors etc
when I feel strongly -- excited/joyful/sad/mad etc :D

so that's why! :)

ah, cool! Well they're definitely more interesting to read :)

Personally, I hate taking close up pictures of any band member when I'm in front of them. I know a lot of people do, but I feel it's disrespectful and also takes away from my concert experience. I have taken some pictures at some shows I've been to, because I wanted to try it out and have a personal souvenir, but I didn't even take my camera with me to more than 50% of "my" shows and didn't regret that step. When I had the camera, I took a couple of pics and put the camera away after that. I took most pictures out of a certain distance, my camera has a very good zoom. I never took a picture of a band member's face when they were in front of me and looking at me/us. I felt it was so out of place. That's why I have so many profile shots of Bono and so few full face shots, but I don't mind because I have memories of the shows that cannot be captured in pictures. I liked the spot at the outer rail, because it really gives you the opportunity to see the band, the stage and the screen and light show and you can still take pictures. When I'm in front of the stage, I want to get lost in the music and not shove a camera into Bono's face all the tim. It's sad that so many people prefer to constantly take pictures and shoot videos instead of just enjoying the show.

Btw, the most breathtaking pictures I have were taken in Milan when we were in the stands.

Back
Top Bottom