Bono wearing bulletproof vest on stage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If he didn't need one for the (alleged) IRA death threats on Sunday bloody sunday, I don't see why he needs to start now.

I thought Adam was is body guard on stage anyway, he's often talked about that :sexywink:. I hope it's just a few extra pounds, the schedule has been rather easy, with 3 or 4 days sometimes in between gigs and not really the opportunity to lose those extra pounds. I know he DID appear to be thinner on the promo tour in the US. It's funny someone posted about this because I was watching another video from Dublin and I noticed a bulge but it was a different song, not sure which one but I just thought he had gained a few pounds. I hope it's not a vest, that would be very sad and I'm sure it would take away from his own enjoyment of performing.

unless they are now making kevlar vests with belly button dimples, i'm saying no.

one word: SPANX

I thought Adam was is body guard on stage anyway, he's often talked about that :sexywink:. I hope it's just a few extra pounds, the schedule has been rather easy, with 3 or 4 days sometimes in between gigs and not really the opportunity to lose those extra pounds. I know he DID appear to be thinner on the promo tour in the US. It's funny someone posted about this because I was watching another video from Dublin and I noticed a bulge but it was a different song, not sure which one but I just thought he had gained a few pounds. I hope it's not a vest, that would be very sad and I'm sure it would take away from his own enjoyment of performing.

I read that Adam stood in front of Bono at a show where there had been a threat ( was that in U2 by U2,not sure). I guess it had been threatened that Bono would be the target at a certain song during the show and when they got to that point,unbeknownst to Bono,Adam went and stood right in front of him. What a friend. I hope I got the facts correct..old brain ya know.
This whole thread is scary!

unless they are now making kevlar vests with belly button dimples, i'm saying no.

one word: SPANX

:ohmy:

I also think it's just Bono's .... umm .... body.

But it's not impossible, because there may have been concrete threats. Bono has talked about it in interviews. I'm sure there's a lot we don't know, and maybe it's better that way, but I'm sure sometimes something occurs and an increased level of security is necessary. But I looked at some pictures and videos from the tour and I don't think he's really wearing a vest or anything underneath. Would make it hard for him to move on stage as much as he does.

Bono always gains a little weight while on tour, remember during the Veritgo tour he was thin at the start and then gained a few pounds. Only difference is it seems Bono's gained it a little quicker this time, but he hadn't really got that thin at the beginning of this tour anyway. Let's hope the gaining in weight helps his voice even more like the 5th leg of the vertigo tour - we might be in for something special. :wink:

Or perhaps he's on some phat anti-depressant medication that's not helping or the cut down on his smokes has made him replace it with food. Either way I don't think we mind Bono carrying a few pounds as long as he can still walk.:D

He made a curious comment during Saturday night's Croke Park concert

"I hear there are some people that want to kill us, I guess none of them are in here though" - something along those lines.

Also wasn't he obsessed with John Lennon's death around the time of the Elevation tour, he used to do a kind of rant about it during the concerts.

That was part of his Bullet the Blue Sky rap/rant for a chunk of the Elevation shows. He went on about Mark Chapman and incorporated a shout-out to Patti Smith's "Rock and Roll ******."

It was a really great rap/rant bit.

My Heart sank when I read this

Now, however, I feel that if he is wearing one, he's doing it for a good reason. I'd rather he was safe. There are a lot of weirdos in the world and we don't need him to be another martyr.

It was during a show at Sun Devil Stadium in Arizona that the FBI warned them about a threat. "I have a ticket and a gun..." Apparently someone wasn't happy about the band supporting the proposed Martin Luther King Day in that state. And yes, Adam stepped in front of him. I :heart: Adam!

As for a U2 staff member reporting it, not only have they severely limited the number of All Access Passes (reported in an article before the tour began) but it's rather well established that folks who work for U2 don't report on U2 to the media. That's called loyalty.

Birdlover

Dang, I hate when that happens. You can still click on the title above the video and it will take you to the site to watch.

Awesomeness is just a click away!

All I know from the NYD video is the flag that got thrown on stage was thrown by the guy standing next to the guy in front of me

Ireland is a country facing enormous political, cultural, financial, economic and demographic challenges over the next few years and for the foreseeable future.

U2 are essentially, the best and most vital thing this country has given the world, really the only thing that has outlasted the Celtic Tiger boom, bubble and resultant and inevitable crash.

If Bono has to wear a bullet proof vest on stage when performing here - then wow. Just wow. I hope it is not true.

OK, this topic is getting ridiculous.

I think the thing with the bullet proof vest isn't very funny...

i was going to leave this thread alone for the very same reason, but since we're on page 4 i figure i'm good...

That was part of his Bullet the Blue Sky rap/rant for a chunk of the Elevation shows. He went on about Mark Chapman and incorporated a shout-out to Patti Smith's "Rock and Roll ******."

when i'd blast those 2001 recordings in my apartment, i'd have to hurry up and turn it down during that part

If he didn't need one for the (alleged) IRA death threats on Sunday bloody sunday, I don't see why he needs to start now.

ever read those 'bitching about the setlist' threads?

maybe it's a Bro (all apologies on the crappy quality, it's all i could find):

YouTube - Seinfield - Manssiere

dear bono, please don't kick my ass if you see me later this year
:wave:

-dan

when i'd blast those 2001 recordings in my apartment, i'd have to hurry up and turn it down during that part

Heh. I absolutely love that Patti Smith song (it seriously rocks), but I'm always a little leery of where I'm playing it without headphones. Just in case. Also loved when Bono snippeted it at the end of Vertigo on some of the Vertigo shows. That was great.

And I think it goes without saying that everyone here hopes that he wasn't wearing a bulletproof vest nor that he might need to. Just because we're joking doesn't mean we don't care if Bono's at risk or anything.

Well, There is a type of back brace that's made for people with low back problems. I could see him wearing something like that on stage and it would look bunchy if he was running around in it.
(They make them for pregnant women too:lol:)

I sure hope that (if he IS in fact wearing something) it's a back brace. There is def. something that looks different about his body structure in this video. I was at the Dublin 1 show... second row in the pit, and there was nothing weird about his waist on Friday night. You could clearly see there was nothing underneath the t-shirt he was wearing... in fact, his little belly was obvious at times :wink:
(and he is in no way overweight....)

I also think it might have been the camera angle and, yes, some Bono belly. Now we all know he's stocky and I've taken a close look at him at the last show I went to, and I must say I don't think there was something underneath his t-shirt. Also, I don't think he could move like that if he did indeed wear anything. It's just the way he's built, and yes, maybe enjoying his meals and the wine a little too much, but I've seen him with a bigger belly in the past, so it doesn't bother me. He's also quite pudgy around the thighs.

That made sence at the time since MC was applying for parole.

Back
Top Bottom