Bono voice highligt 360 campign!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I totally agree. I was a huge fan of the song on Vertigo because he sang the chorus better than ever - it was freakin operatic and his voice sounded like there was just no top to it. Now he is just yelling it like he is having trouble hitting the note it sounds like the elevation performances almost (i dont know if he even hitting the C in the 360 performances) I have been really disappointed with these 2 performances of bad - hopefully bono will step it up and sing it well but i am afraid he has lost something in his voice since 06 and he is just not up to singing bad like at those vertigo shows he did anymore

Okey, third Bad on this tour(27/7) and Bono dosnt seem to bother to hit the note correct :sad:

yea bad is starting to really upset me - i dont get it he did so well on the vertigo tour even sang the chorus 3 times sometimes

what is frustrating me about Bad is that they haven't gone into that epic jam they tend to play towards the end of the song where it really goes off, then ends with a massive "wide awake" ....I really think it will improve though as the tour progresses.

i hope so - because they were playing pretty well on the vertigo tour I dont understand how they have regressed in just 3 years

there's one thing I don't understand about Bono's voice.. Why record parts you can't reproduce live? I mean, NLOTH is only 5-6 months old, just listen to the Breathe chorus, or the falsetto in No Line on the Horizon live... they're the first 2 songs on every concert..

what I mean is, I can understand singing Pride (80s) or any other demanding song in a lower key, but these are NEW SONGS.. :|

Because he doesn't want to sing the songs like they are on record?
I think Breathe pretty much sounds like it does on the album.
And you can never "reproduce" studio recordings in a live setting. Performing live isn't about sounding exactly like on a record.

I'm glad he's singing songs in a different key now.
I think Bono's voice is very good right now.
Of course he'll sound tired from time to time, but after all, he has great technique and I really think he has found a new singing style for this tour.

Because he doesn't want to sing the songs like they are on record?
I think Breathe pretty much sounds like it does on the album.
And you can never "reproduce" studio recordings in a live setting. Performing live isn't about sounding exactly like on a record.

I'm glad he's singing songs in a different key now.
I think Bono's voice is very good right now.
Of course he'll sound tired from time to time, but after all, he has great technique and I really think he has found a new singing style for this tour.

I'm talking about reaching and sustaining the notes.. It's obvious no one can reproduce "exactly" on a concert what is on record

I don't think it's because he doesn't want to.. more like he can't, because it looks like he's trying, evidently in the NLOTH falsetto in the verses.

And that's an interesting point.. how can he be tired if they're the first 2 songs on the set?

With "tired" I meant more the end of the show.

Breathe sounds fine to me, high notes and all.

In some shows he's doing the falsetto, in others he doesn't, I don't know why, maybe he's scared that he won't be able to pull it off, maybe he's just lazy, or maybe he thinks it's better to sing stuff differently from time to time :shrug:

Btw, I listened to the Amsterdam II version of Beautiful Day last night and Bono was in top form, really holding the "touch me" for quite some time. It's amazing that sometimes he seems to be weak on certain songs at a show and then strong again for others. His voice seemed tired and a little hoarse for "Magnificent" that same evening.

What I don't understand is why people don't seem to get the fact that he's singing consistantly a hole set for over an hour. That's longer than what a single opera singer would have to do. A friend of ours went to the opera in Vienna, 10 breaks he said they took. He went in there in the evening and it was the morning by the time he cam out. They have no stanima these opera singers. I remember Paul O'Grady had a guest on his show who said that he was doing work at the Covent Garden opera house in London and that he noticed as they were rehersing their performances that they never looked you in the eye. Plus he said they all had bad breath. I hate the silly faces some of them pull as they are singing.

But so what if Bono doesn't hold a note as long on the album? He's preserving his voice. Anyway I don't like the way he sings the title track on the album personally, I don't care how he's holding the note.

Originally Posted by Peterrrrr
Yes, but he sang it with more power and pitch in his voice then on Vertigo tour.

How many different ways is there to hit a note? Either he hits a note of he doesn't? Please explain.

How many different ways is there to hit a note? Either he hits a note of he doesn't? Please explain.

An A is always an A, but you can hit it with different sounds. Just for an example, just listen to the second chours of Vertigo on this version:
YouTube - Vertigo (live from Vertigo Buenos Aires)

The Feels are alot more powerful then the studio version.

Also you can hit a note in falsetto or in a normal voice.

I like this thread, but it is only useful for listening to bootlegs. When you are the concert, you don't notice these minutiae.

I watched the Milan concert from 2005 last night, simply because it was broadcast on our national television, I stumpled about it by accident, a little pissed because they cut an already shortened concert short, but still ....

I noticed that Bono's voice was much worse than it is today. I always thought that his Vertigo voice was very good, maybe except for a couple of shows in South America in early 2006, and I still think his Vertigo voice was good compared to other tours and albums, but it was very interesting listening to him at that Milan show and realising how different he's sounding nowadays. At the European Vertigo leg, his voice often sounded tired and scratchy, and even though he had a strong voice, he still sounded hoarse from time to time. Now I know that we're just seing the beginnings of the 360 tour, but I would still say that overall his voice is much better now. Of course he'll sound tired from time to time, but I think having the longer breaks in between shows really helps. His voice sounds much more melodic now, technically he has definitely improved, and he's experimenting more. There's less scratchiness and overall it sounds warmer and Bono sounds more confident right now.

Apart from that, it was so strange seing the Vertigo stage after I've been to the Milan shows for this current tour. I don't want to compare, because I really loved Vertigo, but one thing I noticed and that I defnitely like more about the current tour is that Bono - and the band in general - seem to be much more relaxed, there are many more smiles and they seem to enjoy themselves more. Even Larry ... well maybe not all the time. But one thing I noticed when I was in Berlin recently is that Bono is really being in good mood and smiling a lot, which I like.

Apart from that, it was so strange seing the Vertigo stage after I've been to the Milan shows for this current tour. I don't want to compare, because I really loved Vertigo, but one thing I noticed and that I defnitely like more about the current tour is that Bono - and the band in general - seem to be much more relaxed, there are many more smiles and they seem to enjoy themselves more. Even Larry ... well maybe not all the time. But one thing I noticed when I was in Berlin recently is that Bono is really being in good mood and smiling a lot, which I like.

Well, I'm all for the band being relaxed, but sometimes these relaxed feelings get the best of Bono, and he really just fucks up the song as a result...good example is when he actually fakes a cough after singing "you stop in, for a pack of cigarettes, you don't smoke....", and this was clearly audible...not even something he did for show away from the mic...

Maybe "fucks up the song" is too harsh, because it was still pretty awesome, but not only did it sort of kill the vibe of the song/moment but it just destroys any chance of it being one of those truly golden bootleg performances. But because Bono's voice is so incredible, after the next few lines it's fairly easy to get over. In certain songs, doing something like this might come off right, but for Stay, a song that isn't even a regular (and sort of a precious moment), it definitely did not. Of course, this is just my personal reaction to it....I'm sure this comes off as a huge over reaction, oh well...:shrug:

^ What on earth are you going on about??? Bono faking a cough as a joke after a line of the song somehow fucks up the song :doh:

Err, yes, you're right, Rob, I'd rather have Bono in bad mood and looking pissed off and grimly all night if that makes him sing better.

How dare they be relaxed and show some humour and self-irony. Really, U2, back to your sour lemon 80's image!

:|

I'd rather have Bono in bad mood and looking pissed off and grimly all night if that makes him sing better.

Sunday Bloody Sunday with "Fuck the revolution" on Rattle and Hum, "Zoonited Nations" at Wembley '93... Some of Bono's finest moments.

I have nothing against being happy and relaxed, but pissed-off Bono is a true mofo. :rockon:

LOL....I had a feeling this would happen. Looking back on it, yeah I overreacted....but it still frustrates me when I listen to this performance...and I still think that fake cough was pretty lame. :shrug:

I like most of his performances so far. I'm a little disappointed with his falsetto still however, namely in UF, I wish he'd sort that song out and sing the chorus correctly.

Back from the two shows in Gothenburg and Bono was hoarse and tired in his voice just as on the third Dublin show. It seems like a bit to early in the tour to get tired and hoarse.

It's all that booze and smokes he does after the concerts me thinks. I know he says he has cut down, but honestly, this is Bono. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom