Bono voice highligt 360 campign!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The falsetto was definately over the top. Beautiful can still be over the top. Frankly Bono didn't have the voice in the 90's to really belt out like he does now.
I hear ya. I just prefer the more restrained croon he utilised during that period. I think not being able to go full throttle all the time actually gave him a certain amount of self-control. He served the song rather than the other way around. His voice was also deeper, richer and the fat lady never sounded better.

I hear ya. I just prefer the more restrained croon he utilised during that period. I think not being able to go full throttle all the time actually gave him a certain amount of self-control. He served the song rather than the other way around. His voice was also deeper, richer and the fat lady never sounded better.

Bono never had a deep voice like this in the 80s/90s
YouTube - Bono Solo - A Dying Sailor To His Shipmates

I love, love, LOVE his singing on that track.

His lower range is really beautiful - I wish he'd utilize it more in their songs, just to give the songs a little different sound and texture.

Yeah, it doesn't lend itself to the belting-at-the-top-of-your-kungs power anthem singalong that they like to do, but it's just so good.

I was thrilled that it appeared on the album in Cedars of Lebanon.

He is sounding damn good, best ever in many ways.

Still, what on earth is with WOWY??? Its sandwiched between UV and MOS, 2 songs Bono has sung brilliantly every time this tour, UV better than ZOO TV days(just listen to "you bury your treasure.."verse) yet Bono is singing it like its Elevation again.

Anyone help me here? Where are the 5th leg Vertigo versions? Edge's long outro? Where is shine like stars? What does Bono have against this song that its the only one thats sounded bad on 360? Is it time for Bad, Stay or Kite in its place?

Bono never had a deep voice like this in the 80s/90s
YouTube - Bono Solo - A Dying Sailor To His Shipmates

Same here, love that song. Did you guys ever read the article about it on u2.com? The whole thing is really interesting, but here's the bit about Bono's track.

Did Bono choose his own track?
I gave him eight tracks to listen to and he chose 'Dying Sailor to His Shipmates' instantly.

How was that recording ?
It went as smooth as can be. Both Gavin and Andrea had recorded their basic tracks first. Gavin did 'Baltimore Whores' with the band which was classic Gavin and Andrea recorded 'Caroline's Young Sailor Bold' totally acapella. When Bono arrived we played him both Gavin and Andrea's tracks which seemed to inspire him. He asked Maurice Seezer to play a drone on his accordion then took the mic and sang a hair raising and beautiful version of the song that felt like a spiritual from Egypt. That was it - Take 1. He added a harmony to his vocal and said 'Adieu'. I later had the great Jenny Scheinman add strings to the track with a quartet with an Om Kalsoum 'Within You Without You' vibe....

U2.com > Sign In

I've said before that I was not as keen of the texture of his voice during the 80/90's. I prefer the brighter tone to his voice now and I've heard other people say the same about him. I think before he had a darker timbre but now he has a brighter timbre. I don't like dark lyrics either. I'm scared of the dark.

I'd just like to point out some awesome vocal moments recently....when he sings "and darling" in the beginning of Stand By Me....also when he sings " and crumble to the sea" ...so awesome.

also in the Unforgettable Fire performances, when he sings "silver and gold" - the way he sings "gold" ...somethin about it!! There's a MacPhisto vibe to it...that's the best way I can explain it :lol:

Sorry because you've mentioned Dying Sailer a few times before, but I'd never heard of it before. I always thought it was a B-side from the 90's. Is it more recent? I've only just listened to it for the first time and occasionally he's either singing with no musical accompliment or with a very low musical backing. Also, does anyone know where can I hear the snippet of Stand By Me during the Milan show?

Sorry because you've mentioned Dying Sailer a few times before, but I'd never heard of it before. I always thought it was a B-side from the 90's. Is it more recent? I've only just listened to it for the first time and occasionally he's either singing with no musical accompliment or with a very low musical backing. Also, does anyone know where can I hear the snippet of Stand By Me during the Milan show?

there's a pretty good boot from U2start.com....really good...I suggest you download it :)

Sorry because you've mentioned Dying Sailer a few times before, but I'd never heard of it before. I always thought it was a B-side from the 90's. Is it more recent? I've only just listened to it for the first time and occasionally he's either singing with no musical accompliment or with a very low musical backing.

Did you see this that I posted just above your post?

Quoted from u2.com article:

He asked Maurice Seezer to play a drone on his accordion then took the mic and sang a hair raising and beautiful version of the song that felt like a spiritual from Egypt. That was it - Take 1. He added a harmony to his vocal and said 'Adieu'.

And as stated by Jdelbove it was in 2006.

such an emotional "wide awake" scream here at about 5:10 ....love it.

YouTube - U2 Dublin 2009-07-24 Bad

Not to be negative, but Im not impressed with vocals on the two versions of Bad this tour. He just sing "Wiiiiiiiiiide Awaaaaake" instead of " Wiiiiiide Awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake", he dosnt try to give his all on this version. The sound he got in those versions postet below is far more emotional. This song was alot better on Vertigo tour

2005-04-25 - Seattle
2005-09-14 - Toronto
2005-12-04 - Boston
2006-12-04 - Tokyo

Not to be negative, but Im not impressed with vocals on the two versions of Bad this tour. He just sing "Wiiiiiiiiiide Awaaaaake" instead of " Wiiiiiide Awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake", he dosnt try to give his all on this version. The sound he got in those versions postet below is far more emotional. This song was alot better on Vertigo tour

2005-04-25 - Seattle
2005-09-14 - Toronto
2005-12-04 - Boston
2006-12-04 - Tokyo

well, Bono could not scream like this on the Vertigo Tour...many times it just sounded very hoarse...but in this case, it's like a clean scream sort of. What I'm talking about is hard to explain, but this scream has something to it that Vertigo performances did not. Bono's voice is just cleaner sounding than previous tours, so when he screams, it just sounds better...if that makes sense.

Also, keep in mind this is only the 2nd performance of the song. I'm sure we'll hear him soar like he did on 12/4/06 for example.

well, Bono could not scream like this on the Vertigo Tour...many times it just sounded very hoarse...but in this case, it's like a clean scream sort of. What I'm talking about is hard to explain, but this scream has something to it that Vertigo performances did not. Bono's voice is just cleaner sounding than previous tours, so when he screams, it just sounds better...if that makes sense.

Also, keep in mind this is only the 2nd performance of the song. I'm sure we'll hear him soar like he did on 12/4/06 for example.

A correct clean note is always better in technichal way and in sounding in "Wide Awake", it is much easier to scream instead of hitting it correct and clean. This is what he did on JT/LT and ZooTV tour when he didnt manage to hit the note, he just screamed back then.
Those versions listed in my previous post is examples when he have much more powerful sound and he hitting the note correctly and higher. Those performences are much closer to the original studio version.

A correct clean note is always better in technichal way and in sounding in "Wide Awake", it is much easier to scream instead of hitting it correct and clean. This is what he did on JT/LT and ZooTV tour when he didnt manage to hit the note, he just screamed back then.
Those versions listed in my previous post is examples when he have much more powerful sound and he hitting the note correctly and higher. Those performences are much closer to the original studio version.

yeah, I know he sings it better in those performances...honestly though, it's not always about actually singing it better from a technical standpoint. Sometimes it's just about the overall delivery...the passion, the energy...just everything coming together...that's why some of the LT versions of this song are some of my favorites, and that's why this one stands out to me ( or at least that moment), even though he isn't soaring like he does on those performances you listed. For example, there's a Rotterdam performance of Bad from LT Tour, where he snippets All I Want Is You, and I think it's one of the greatest performances of Bad ever. Either way though, just about any performance of Bad is fucking awesome...lets hope it stays in the set. :up:

^ What Rob33 has just explained here describes the difference between pop music and rock music. Rock is all about the energy and the delivery whilst pop is more about being technical. This is why Cray Tonight is a rock song because the falsetto if funny.

Are we finally talking about phrasing now on Wide Awaaake?

yeah, I know he sings it better in those performances...honestly though, it's not always about actually singing it better from a technical standpoint. Sometimes it's just about the overall delivery...the passion, the energy...just everything coming together...that's why some of the LT versions of this song are some of my favorites, and that's why this one stands out to me ( or at least that moment), even though he isn't soaring like he does on those performances you listed. For example, there's a Rotterdam performance of Bad from LT Tour, where he snippets All I Want Is You, and I think it's one of the greatest performances of Bad ever. Either way though, just about any performance of Bad is fucking awesome...lets hope it stays in the set. :up:

But I think that the Vertigo versions has more energy in the Wide Awake, it sounds so much more powerful when he hits them clean.

2005-04-25 - Seattle
2005-09-14 - Toronto
2005-12-04 - Boston
2006-12-04 - Tokyo

I totally agree. I was a huge fan of the song on Vertigo because he sang the chorus better than ever - it was freakin operatic and his voice sounded like there was just no top to it. Now he is just yelling it like he is having trouble hitting the note it sounds like the elevation performances almost (i dont know if he even hitting the C in the 360 performances) I have been really disappointed with these 2 performances of bad - hopefully bono will step it up and sing it well but i am afraid he has lost something in his voice since 06 and he is just not up to singing bad like at those vertigo shows he did anymore

I totally agree. I was a huge fan of the song on Vertigo because he sang the chorus better than ever - it was freakin operatic and his voice sounded like there was just no top to it. Now he is just yelling it like he is having trouble hitting the note it sounds like the elevation performances almost (i dont know if he even hitting the C in the 360 performances) I have been really disappointed with these 2 performances of bad - hopefully bono will step it up and sing it well but i am afraid he has lost something in his voice since 06 and he is just not up to singing bad like at those vertigo shows he did anymore

I dont think he have lost it, but uses his voice alot more in the songs now. He sings more raw now in almost every song and it takes alot of his energy Bad is in the end of the show and I think that he hanst to much energy left then.

Back
Top Bottom