Bono voice highligt 360 campign!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It seems for some songs like UV, Miss Sarajevo, SYCMIOYO, MOS etc there is quite a mixture of technique going on with some old style Bono singing which uses more forceful, passionate improper technique to hit some notes. The reason why this is for those songs and not others? I don't know, perhaps those songs require a deep amount of energy and passion to pull off and doing so more than twice a night will kill his voice? Which probably explains why you get some songs using deliberate 'boring' singing techniques and others with a mixture of old style plus new.

I'm absolutely blown away by that version you posted of UV from Milan, Peterrr....

I mean this is one of the greatest performances on the 360 Tour thus far, and should go down as one of the greatest versions of UV...spectacular!

The thing i dont quite understand with the band right now is why arnt they re-inventing old songs like SBS, Pride, Streets ect. Its so easy to make a good performance of a song by adding a few minor changes. For example, adding the drums back in towards the end of SBS takes the song to a different level, thats all it takes, just a bit of drumming and its fine. Now ill admire Bono for trying to bring the slane castle streets intro back towards the end of the tour, but he just couldnt hold it on the Rose Bowl performance, which is a shame. But sometimes i just dont understand why they wont place Bad or All i want is you in front of streets, and if there worried about it becoming boring because they did it on the elevation tour, why not try MLK, as it worked well at superbowl. I seriously dont understand the band sometimes, its as if they dont notice what works the best.

On this tour, when they have played Bad, they have played it after Streets. Its like there teasing us not playing it before. Same goes with MLK, playing it on 1 song before Streets. They should look back at some old performances, and try and look at what worked really well back in the day, and try and bring it back, but slightly different.

Now they probably wont do any of this, but its a long long time since the Band for me played a gig so perfect and passionate as something like Slane castle, when the band were just totally on it 100% for 1 night. Right, Bono's voice might of been strained on the Elevation tour, but his voice had so much rawness to it, and he could defiantly tell that, thats why he created so much excitement with it. He voice to me right now, lacks passion, well songs like TUF and UV are top notch, but when he tries putting passion in BD, Streets ect it sounds no where near exciting, and doesnt give me the goosebumps he voice used to.

I know its good to try new things instead of looking in the past, but sometimes its good to look at the past at older performances and take things from them. They should look back at the best gigs they feel as a band they have ever done, and try and take so many things from them gigs.

I think the difference is with some songs is (especially in the case of UV) if they haven't played them for a while it's much easier for them to come up with a new creative approach, especially Bono. However if it's a song they play all the time like BD then I think they kinda lose sight of what 'used' to work and what to do next with the song.

The problem also is with U2 and notably Bono in that they often say they don't ever look in the past, they always look to the future! Which OK is useful to keep optimistic about things but at the same time it's kinda ignorant too as it's like they believe what they did in the past is rubbish and not as good as what they are doing now. Yes in some ways some things are done better now than before but there are a lot of things that are a lot worse too and with this U2 seem to be their own worst enemy because with all this arrogance about looking in one direction it is letting them down for a lot of songs.

You are perfectly right Sexyboots, they need to start doing some more research. I'm not saying they don't do any but I think if they want to recapture the spirit of some songs they definitely need to re-inspire themselves by looking at what they did before, like you so rightly said.

I seriosuly wouldnt mind if on the next leg they dropped SBS, WOWY, Pride, Elevation as long as them songs come back twice as good. Streets of course should be played every night, along with Beautiful Day, even if your worried the band is going through the motions you pay money to see them perform these songs. But they should bring back songs like AIWIY, Gone, The Fly ect whilst giving SBS, WOWY and so on a good break, or whilst there working on improving them oldies.

Another thing is drop the damm bloody snippets. Every freaking song is getting killed by stupid unneeded snippets by Bono. Look at BD now, from Rose Bowl, the last third of the song. First theres a IGC snippet which is fine, then he waffles for 1 minute about america, then he shouts soul which i dont mind, and then finishes with God Only Knows and The Makers snippets once the drums have stopped. Thats 5 snippets in 1 third of a song. Rather shouting the goal is soul for 20 seconds sounds 10times more awesome.

The last time the band really experimented was Popmart, and the last time the band played the oldies with passion was Elevation tour, ever since its just been completely about the new material, and arrogance towards the oldies. I wouldnt mind if the new material was 100% perfect live, but songs like Magnificent, Breathe sound really flat. I dont understand how the band thought Breathe worked so well it should be the opener every night. Doesnt someone who works with the band have the balls to tell them this isnt working as well you think. Its as if the band are so overwhelmed with the stage, and excited about showing the new material they have forgot about experimenting with what works and doesnt, and there in there own planet where everything seems to be perfect. Its cringing listening to plain boring uninspired performances every night of the songs that made them where they are now.

All this arrogance towards old songs complexly shows on whats happening right now, which is making more new material. I would seriously prefer the band spending months on re-inventing the old songs than righting new material that surely wont make a bigger impact than a new refurbished streets or SBS would.

Mag sounded fantastic in Cardiff?, and also your pretty much saying you would rathe they would rewrite old songs rather than bring out a new album? if so i disagree.

The thing i dont quite understand with the band right now is why arnt they re-inventing old songs like SBS, Pride, Streets ect.

This is the first tour since JT where I actually like SBS, it has a new energy, and new chant/scat part at the end, I'm loving it. Pride's been dropped, so why re-invent a song that's been dropped? And Streets, eh still sounds good to me, Popmart is the only tour that had a successful re-invention of that song.

Another thing is drop the damm bloody snippets.

The last time the band really experimented was Popmart, and the last time the band played the oldies with passion was Elevation tour, ever since its just been completely about the new material, and arrogance towards the oldies. I wouldnt mind if the new material was 100% perfect live, but songs like Magnificent, Breathe sound really flat. I dont understand how the band thought Breathe worked so well it should be the opener every night. Doesnt someone who works with the band have the balls to tell them this isnt working as well you think.

All this arrogance towards old songs complexly shows on whats happening right now, which is making more new material. I would seriously prefer the band spending months on re-inventing the old songs than righting new material that surely wont make a bigger impact than a new refurbished streets or SBS would.

I sometimes think you live on a completely different planet than most of us. Why spend so much energy "re-inventing" classics? Very few want that. I don't mind a few changes here and there but spending months doing this? What? I think 99% of the folks want new material. Why does one have to re-invent a classic every tour, that makes no sense. And Mag and Breathe sound brilliant.

Why spend so much energy "re-inventing" classics? Very few want that.

So, here is another one of the "few" – I want them to reinvent classics, too. And: "Magnificent" & "Breathe" do not sound brilliant IMO.:down:

I'm absolutely blown away by that version you posted of UV from Milan, Peterrr....

I mean this is one of the greatest performances on the 360 Tour thus far, and should go down as one of the greatest versions of UV...spectacular!

I totally agree with you :)

Other great expermental moments in the recent years is Discotheque from Vertigo tour, Crazy dance mix.

You all remember that they rehearsed EBTTRT on the rehearsals of 360 last summer, well I think they first ideas was to play it but they then choose to do the Crazy tonight thing instead.

I sometimes think you live on a completely different planet than most of us. Why spend so much energy "re-inventing" classics? Very few want that. I don't mind a few changes here and there but spending months doing this? What? I think 99% of the folks want new material. Why does one have to re-invent a classic every tour, that makes no sense. And Mag and Breathe sound brilliant.

Of course its brilliant the band writing new material, but thats all they concentrate on, which is good i guess, but never looking back in the past is just insane, especially when that was them at there peak. Okay spending months re-inventing old material would be a bit to much, ill admitt now, but at least spend a month or a few weeks before the next leg working on bringing them old songs back to life, otherwise in another 7 years or something, songs like streets ect will sound tottaly worne out and when there getting stick for that, they'll realise spending all there time writing new material which doesnt make the impact they wished, was a mistake.

And Breathe/Magnficient dont sound Brilliant, well not as energetic as they are on the the album. When comparing the impact Vertigo/COBL made on the vertigo tour, there way below par. Breathe would probably come across better if it wasnt made as the opener. Everyone expects it to rock the house, and when it doesnt, it just get stick. Magnificent is no where near as good as it sounds on the album, or as powerful, it sounded good on the promo tour, and the first couple of shows on the first leg it sounded good, when bono did the opera, but from then, he has backed out of the opera part and his voice sounds to bland, rather on the album to sounded raw and powerful.

Like Sexyboots has already said, you have completely missed his point. What we're getting at is that during the 360 tour recently in regards to the classics, the band (especially Bono) don't seem very inspired in their performances and actually some songs sound far worse than they have ever sounded. Take for example WOWY a classic U2 song that is a favourite among hardcore and casual fans, during this tour they seem to have (especially Bono) gone for a really dull uninspired approach to playing the song. Some people have said "oh it's just Bono trying something clever and different" but to me and a lot of other people I've spoken to it comes across as though U2 are BORED of the song. There just seems to be no energy and no passion there in the song at all. This is why we are saying U2 NEEDS to look back at what made the song so good in the first place to recapture that passion and inspiration.

But recapture and re-invent are not the same things. I agree WOWY has lost it, it has since Macphisto started singing it and he adapted that talk/sing thing ever since. I think they should learn how to give them a rest, "re-invent" is something completely different from "recapture". So no, I didn't miss the point.

But recapture and re-invent are not the same things. I agree WOWY has lost it, it has since Macphisto started singing it and he adapted that talk/sing thing ever since. I think they should learn how to give them a rest, "re-invent" is something completely different from "recapture". So no, I didn't miss the point.

Let's ask him. SexybootsU2 did you mean recapture or reinvent? If it's the latter I will stand corrected.

Let's ask him. SexybootsU2 did you mean recapture or reinvent? If it's the latter I will stand corrected.

The last time the band really experimented was Popmart, and the last time the band played the oldies with passion was Elevation tour, ever since its just been completely about the new material, and arrogance towards the oldies.

:shrug:

The thing is there two different things, yes, but can be combined very easily. My actual point was for the band to look at some old performances, find some inspiration and then re-invent them to re-capture the passion in them songs. Now i dont mean completely re-invent the song, but maybe extend some chorus's, or even add in some extra instruments. Now this is the re-inventing part, to re-capture the song we and U2opra were talking about Bono's vocal, aswell as changing the songs in some way. So re-invent can easily lead to re-capturing a song, which means both of these different words can be easily discussed together without any misunderstanding.

Like Sexyboots has already said, you have completely missed his point. What we're getting at is that during the 360 tour recently in regards to the classics, the band (especially Bono) don't seem very inspired in their performances and actually some songs sound far worse than they have ever sounded. Take for example WOWY a classic U2 song that is a favourite among hardcore and casual fans, during this tour they seem to have (especially Bono) gone for a really dull uninspired approach to playing the song. Some people have said "oh it's just Bono trying something clever and different" but to me and a lot of other people I've spoken to it comes across as though U2 are BORED of the song. There just seems to be no energy and no passion there in the song at all. This is why we are saying U2 NEEDS to look back at what made the song so good in the first place to recapture that passion and inspiration.

While I agree that a few of the performances of With or Without You are very lackluster, I think its more because of Bono's attempt to color the song. There is some theme or character to the encore of the 360 show even if we don't know what it is (probably "surrender" or something). This version of WOWY I saw live in Boston and felt it was spectacular. A couple standing next to me had seen 15 shows on this tour and thought this was the best WOWY they heard. Its not Rattle and Hum, but its a little different.

YouTube - U2 360 Tour (Boston 21/09/09) - With or without you

While I agree that a few of the performances of With or Without You are very lackluster, I think its more because of Bono's attempt to color the song. There is some theme or character to the encore of the 360 show even if we don't know what it is (probably "surrender" or something). This version of WOWY I saw live in Boston and felt it was spectacular. A couple standing next to me had seen 15 shows on this tour and thought this was the best WOWY they heard. Its not Rattle and Hum, but its a little different.

YouTube - U2 360 Tour (Boston 21/09/09) - With or without you

That was very emotionel :) Something Bono in the 80s and 90s wasnt able to get is the emotional sadness in his voice that he gets sometimes. Streets from Slane, live versions of SYCMIOYO.

see...I don't understand how some of you think this sounds uninspired...there's incredible passion in every single word! Listen to the way Bono sings "you give" at around the 2:08 mark. He doesn't have to be screaming at the top of his lungs for it to be passionate...It sounds like there is some intense heart wrenching pain driving Bono throughout the entire performance, and it comes through wonderfully.....it's almost like as the song progresses, the emotions get more and more intense as Bono delves deeper into the song...into himself, until the end where everything just boils over...like Jeef said...then the final "ohh ohhh ohhh's" represent a "surrendering"...that may sound over the top, but I really don't think WOWY is suffering on this tour...it's just different :shrug:

Also, this is a prime example of why Bono is in a different league...nobody sings with this much passion...the way he spontaneously explodes with "you give"...so good :yes:

WOWY took a ton of heat this tour (360) but with it being squeezed between UV & MOS takes a whole new meaning. And I think Bono is in some sort of character when singing these songs. I loved the "Surrender" encore & I think Bono did a great job of capturing the character of defeat in a relationship.

Easily the best performence ever on this song
YouTube - MULTICAM U2 - UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD - WEMBLEY 15TH 09

Been analyzing his voice alot now from this tour and must admit that this is his best voice era ever, sure the falsetto inst on top like on ZooTV but the falsetto has been great on this tour compared to Elevation/Vertigo tour. But technically his never been better. Most of the people who thinks that his voice was best on JT/LT because of the raw power hasnt much to go on after this tour. Just listen 4:21 till 4:45 in the youtube clip I posted above or listen to this(aspecaily from time 2:00 till 2:10):
YouTube - U2 Moment Of Surrender, Paris 2009-07-11

On this tour he got the rawness, hits the high notes easily, the falsetto is better in years...

Bono's efforts on unforgettable fire this tour were pretty sad... he did'nt strain, but that made for aboring dreary song especially since he missed alot of lyrics. if he put some effort into it and sang more of the real lyrics it would have been massive excitement even if he strained for some parts, that's what makes it. I think if Bono can't put the effort into the songs night after night they need longer breaks between shows... the 2nd or 3rd Dublin gig was pretty terrible when i wathed it :( Bono either could'nt or did'nt want to give 75% let alone 100% or so it seemed to me....

Actually some of Bono's performances during the earlier shows were magnificent! They need to manage things better so he can give 100% every night and on the odd occasion go crazy with even more!

Peter, I agree that, technically, Bono's voice has been excellent this tour. At all the concerts I've been to, his voice was great. Even if he's starting to sound tired or his voice is starting to sound strained, he can still keep it pretty much under control. I haven't seen a show where his voice was bad. I hope he can keep that form for the 2010 shows.

Bono's efforts on unforgettable fire this tour were pretty sad... he did'nt strain, but that made for aboring dreary song especially since he missed alot of lyrics. if he put some effort into it and sang more of the real lyrics it would have been massive excitement even if he strained for some parts, that's what makes it. I think if Bono can't put the effort into the songs night after night they need longer breaks between shows... the 2nd or 3rd Dublin gig was pretty terrible when i wathed it :( Bono either could'nt or did'nt want to give 75% let alone 100% or so it seemed to me....

Actually some of Bono's performances during the earlier shows were magnificent! They need to manage things better so he can give 100% every night and on the odd occasion go crazy with even more!

Must say that I have never liked how the live versions of UF before, the UF tour were good, the JT tour versions was very boring. Much because they lacked the atmosphere it had on the album and Bonos jt voice didnt fit the song. But on this tour it realy had the atmosphere from the album, a even more powerful sound. And specially on the 1st leg his sang it great, he hit the high notes and I must say that the voice he got now fits the song more then the voice he had on the Uf album.

UF, UV and MOS was one of the highlights from this tours first two legs :)

Back
Top Bottom