Bono using 2 mics during HMTMKMKM?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I heard somewhere he has a mic on the laser jacket. But I don't remember where I read it now, or if it's something new or he always had it. (Or if it's even what's going on, sorry!) But it seems likely, especially now that he sits on the wheel mic during part of the song, that they would give him a mic for that portion.

I heard somewhere he has a mic on the laser jacket. But I don't remember where I read it now, or if it's something new or he always had it. (Or if it's even what's going on, sorry!) But it seems likely, especially now that he sits on the wheel mic during part of the song, that they would give him a mic for that portion.

Yeah, this also came up in the Vienna setlist party thread.
Bono indeed has a mic in his jacket (or maybe under his shirt) for the encores.

A not very clear picture of him singing in his jacket (from Moscow):
41111_10150264718460503_878975502_14628903_7672226_n.jpg

Yes, I saw it very clearly in Vienna, he has a backup mic in his jacket. It seems to be a new addition to the show, I never noticed anything like this last year.

The wheelmic doesn't seem to work properly sometimes, maybe wind and rain causes problems. Bono singing into his jacket looks a bit strange, though, but it's a spare mic he's having in there, it's not playback as some people on You Tube claim.

Thats what i wanted to make sure of, i read a few comments on youtube, and the way he is singing into his jacket does unfortunately make it look like its playback.

There are even pictures where you can see the little mic inside his jacket, but I cannot find any now. It surely ISN'T playback.

That's not that big of distance for the microphone not to work...unless he throws it around full on like he used to on Ultraviolet. Then of course he'll miss a line or so.

These things are sensitive and not made for the (ab)use by a swinging Bono every single night. No wonder it got damaged.

Last nıght ın Istanbul durrıng Ultarvıolet he used two mıcs as well. Hıs voıce was ıncredıbly crystal clear when he used a lıttle mıc that seemed to be attatched to hıs jacket. the kınd you'd see a facılıtator of a semınar use. It was cool and sounded much better than hıs regular mıc or hıs steerıng wheel mıc.

Smoke

The more interesting question - at least for me - right now is: Why on earth is there a guy on stage blowing smoke up Bono's backside during Hold me and Ultraviolet? I saw it in Vienna and thought it was because of the wind, but obviously it has been done that way at other shows as well. :scratch:

Any reasonable explanation for that? I'm sure U2 can afford a proper smoke machine, and if it's broken they can afford to have it fixed. Last year the smoke production worked just fine. First I thought it to be funny when I saw these guys getting up on stage with their little smoke-makers, but now I think it looks kind of awkward and cheap.

The only explanation I have is that it may have something to do with someone - obviously not Bono - being allergic to the smoke, thus they try to confine it to a small part of the stage. I've heard from people who had problems breathing in front of the stage because the smoke was so heavy at some shows last year.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

The more interesting question - at least for me - right now is: Why on earth is there a guy on stage blowing smoke up Bono's backside during Hold me and Ultraviolet? I saw it in Vienna and thought it was because of the wind, but obviously it has been done that way at other shows as well. :scratch:

Any reasonable explanation for that? I'm sure U2 can afford a proper smoke machine, and if it's broken they can afford to have it fixed. Last year the smoke production worked just fine. First I thought it to be funny when I saw these guys getting up on stage with their little smoke-makers, but now I think it looks kind of awkward and cheap.

The only explanation I have is that it may have something to do with someone - obviously not Bono - being allergic to the smoke, thus they try to confine it to a small part of the stage. I've heard from people who had problems breathing in front of the stage because the smoke was so heavy at some shows last year.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
In Athens they were filming the show. The big smoke machine operated from the side of the stage just doesn't completely cover Bono in smoke. For the laser effect they probably needed more smoke. From a distance you don't even see the extra guy.

As for the extra mic, since Bono uses the other mic as a swing, he can't sing into that mic. So an extra mic as backup is in his jacket.

It's from U2start, Domo just posted it in PLEBA. I thought of this thread immediately as we hadn't found a clear pic of the mic yet.

Back
Top Bottom