Bono, Oh Bono!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really don't understand why the slightest bit of criticism draws such defensive comments from a large portion of interferencers. I admit in my opening post I might have been too harsh (in retrospect), but in my subsequent posts I think I made it clear that it's just the shortness of breath, especially during breathe and GOYB in all the shows, (and COBL at the rose bowl, and one or two songs from each of the other shows I have listened to) that ruins the performance of those particular songs. I have said that I thought he sang well in a lot of the other songs, very impressively. And I am genuinely happy that most of you guys think that he is doing a terrific job even now.

For me, breathe has the potential to be one of the best U2 songs ever. It's unlike anything they have done before. But I have noticed from watching previous tours all the way back to lovetown that a great performance on tour of a particular song really gives it a push from being a good song to an all time classic. witness kite and IALW, Love is blindness, to name just a few. It saddens me that breathe is not getting that boost. And GOYB too (don't kill me:reject:), it has the potential to be a great live number, especially as good sense has prevailed and they seem to have left the "sexy boots" back in the studio.

For the umpteenth time, I am not saying that Bono has lost his voice, or that this tour marks a decline of his vocal capabilities, but as gvox said much better than I did, he could do better with balancing his jumping around and singing on some of the songs.

And no, I do not want to hear perfect studio versions, I have been a U2 fan too long to not know the advantages of live versions. All I am saying is that while Bono always had a good balance between showmanship and performance, on this tour with songs like breathe and GOYB it has slipped away from him a bit. And don't tell me it's too difficult for him to sing breathe, he did an excellent job of it on that german talk show just after the album came out, I forget which. I just fear that an awesome song like breathe may just slip under the radar as a goodish opener with great music, when it is actually a lot more. The singing has a big role to play in that. The delivery of the lines are a big part of the song, because the style is unique in the band's catalogue.

I really hope they move the song later into the setlist on the third leg and open with something that bono finds easier to sing. In my opinion, justice isn't being done to the song as it stands.

His worst move ?

Almost screaming himself out of his career in the 80's. And smoking.

I really don't understand why the slightest bit of criticism draws such defensive comments from a large portion of interferencers.

Eh, try to take it with a grain of salt. It's kind of par for the course around here sometimes.

:)

Eh, try to take it with a grain of salt. It's kind of par for the course around here sometimes.

:)

yeah you're right. I think the problem is that I don't really come on here unless I want to ask a question or say something (and unless there's a leak thread raging like a frikkin bushfire:hyper:). I forget the protocol.:huh:

too true, henceforth I solemnly swear to sugarcoat.:love::wave::sexywink::hug::cute:

In all seriousness though, I am glad that most of you guys think that he is singing well. That's a relief because as I have said I live far away from where the action is, and it's nice to hear from people who go to the shows. But I am serious about breathe and to a lesser degree GOYB. Something should be done there IMO. Breathe is too good a song not to be done properly. Along with MOS, UC and NLOTH, I feel it is the song that will be remembered from the last album.

I agree with everything you've said CMIS.

To those that think Bono gets breathless from being Nervous while jumping around, ok so why do it? He should just stop doing that and concentrate on the singing. I know he gets into the song and improvises but surely he knows better by now...

To be fair he has been singing really well this tour, but the last leg of the Vertigo Tour was and still is his best singing. I totally disagree that any performances so far have been significantly better than the last leg of the Vertigo Tour. Sure a few songs have been good but consistency is the key. Bono was very consistent in his vocal ability in that last Vertigo Tour leg. This leg it's been more varied and unpredictable. The real test will be comparing both last legs.

I also sometimes think Bono needs a kick up the backside when he thinks talking lyrics are better than singing them, especially Walk On. It just comes across lazy not creative. Please stop doing that Bono. :|

I agree with everything you've said CMIS.

To those that think Bono gets breathless from being Nervous while jumping around, ok so why do it? He should just stop doing that and concentrate on the singing. I know he gets into the song and improvises but surely he knows better by now...

No, he should not stop, because that's what his on stage performance is all about. Other singers just stand behind a mic and sing or hold a guitar, but Bono is about energy and moving around, and I wouldn't want to see anything else. People are too tough on him, he's not that young anymore and I want to have his energy when I'm his age and still be able to sing like that. And the improvising has always be part of his singing, I don't understand why people certainly have a problem with that now. A U2 show is dynamic, it's lively, it's warm and human, it's not perfect and I wouldn't want it any other way.

I'm all for Bono being energetic, I love that. But I was just saying if it makes it difficult for him to sing, why do it if he's so out of breath and he can't hold a note or be heard I don't see the point.

I don't necessarily always have problem with his improvisation but lately his improvising has not been good and comes across damn right lazy. Talking the lyrics for Walk On in my opinion is not better, it takes away the melody of the song.

But of course as usual you don't understand last unicorn because you personally can never fault Bono ever. And, those that do must definitely be weird, not proper fans of U2, looking for excuses to hate, and generally acting like trolls. But that's fine whatever.

I agree with you Silvia, watching Bono perform and trying keep up with him is totally exhausting! :yippie: And I've very rarely noticed him to be out of breath when singing live. :no:

I just don't understand some people with this criticism of Bono not sounding as good as he does on the album! :tsk: If you want to hear U2 and Bono perform songs as they are on the album, then stay at home and listen to the bloody cd! If you're going to a U2 gig expecting to hear every song sang and played in perfect key with word perfect lyrics you're gonna disappointed every time!! :shrug:

I personally go to U2 concerts to see them perform, bugger the bloody lyrics (so long as they're kinda right :wink: ), don't care if Bono's voice is a little off key, Bono can run like to bloody wind or stand stock still and I'd still be happy! :D

Yes!! exactly! :applaud::applaud: You expressed perfectly how I feel :)

Bono has been amazing for the entire tour...like the OP said, it's just frustrating for certain songs and at certain times...like Breathe...seems like he struggles to sing it usually :shrug:

anyway, Bono sounded fucking brilliant at the Berlin show...:applaud:

I think it just goes to show that a lot of Bono's singing problems are just a result of so many shows piling up and wearing his voice out

Bono has been amazing for the entire tour...like the OP said, it's just frustrating for certain songs and at certain times...like Breathe...seems like he struggles to sing it usually :shrug:

anyway, Bono sounded fucking brilliant at the Berlin show...:applaud:

I think it just goes to show that a lot of Bono's singing problems are just a result of so many shows piling up and wearing his voice out

What Rob said...

Toward the end of the tour I think it is expected that his voice will... give out a bit. And Rosebowl show is most def. not the best representation of his up to date performances - that is why I would suggest the creator of the thread not to base his whole opinion on this performance. I've been to 5 shows this tour, and his performance has been nothing but amazing.
And yes, he was breathless after running couple of circles around the outer stage... so what - the man is pushing 50, and he doesn't stand still during the show (like some other artists, who spend 2 hours standing behind the mic). Personally, I find his performance actually better than Vertigo tour.

Man! :drool: He was on fire on SBS in Berlin. Nice to see more energy, his voice was very mellow, the "Wipe your tears away" sound realy nice! Great job Bono.

First I want to state that I'm not attacking anyone, I'm just giving you my own opinion and experience on this subject.
I've watched 10 shows during the European leg and I can say I have nothing to complain, Bono sounded amazing from the first show in Barcelona, my last were Sheffield and Cardiff, well he was a bit hoarse in Sheffield, but his performance in both concerts was amazing, of course he was hoarse in Rose Bowl, how many concerts had he sung by then? don't you feel that your voice is sometimes worse and maybe you have only shouted a bit the day before? I'm always hoarse the day after I attend a U2 concert, oh, come on, you want his voice to be an instrument and it is, but it is a biological instrument, it gets tired and is affected by the weather conditons and so on....

On the other hand, Breathe is a great, great song and he sings it amazingly, yes it sounds like he's struggling, but it is supposed to sound so, listen to the studio version and you'll get the feeling as well, then listen to the lyrics and maybe you understand why, many singers before Bono have performed this kind of songs whose melody always make you think they are struggling to reach the note, it is in the way the melody is carried and has nothing to do with the singer's breath. I have to admit that lap before COBL was not a wise move, there he was out of breath and he exposed himself in the middle of a show that was webcast and many people will think he is usually out of breath, what is not true at all.

The last thing I'd like to say is that I don't feel fair to foccus only on Bono's performance thread after thread, why doesn't anybody start a thread on the other musicians in U2 mistakes when they perform? Edge is my favourite guitar player of all times, but I see him making mistakes in every show he plays, I think it's normal and that other guitarrists do too, but nobody has talked about his performaces in Barcelona that were a real chaos, why is it? is ist easier to criticise a voice just because everybody notice when it is hoarse?

what a load of bull!

On Elevation & Vertigo tours bono had some issues on several nights with his voice its bloody natural! he is not gonna be note perfect at every show! the man has been singing for over 2 hrs every other night for the past 3/4 months.

Give me a live show with Bono running around a bit with a few bad notes / crokey voice over a stationary Bono with a note perfect performance.

If you want to go and see a perfect vocal performance go and watch a boy band or girl band who mime throughout the whole show but i will take a rock band who play live every day

Bono's vocal performance was incredible in Berlin. Given the circumstances - end of a long tour, possibly jet leg from flying in from the US, stress, and mostly cold and wet weather - I'd say that's pretty remarkable. Most news reports are saying that U2's performance was outstanding that night, unlike the EMA show itself which was bland, ridiculous and boring. Leave it to U2 to be better than the (much younger) rest.

To whomever said Bono sounds out of breath singing Breathe and GOYB?

You try singing those.

I'm a performer who does several covers (I have a rotation) in addition to original material. Singing those two songs is hard enough just standing there. Moving around like Bono does? Damn near impossible.

Bono sang those two songs brilliantly in Phoenix. This'll be my last post on the matter.

again and again and again I have said that I do not want a perfect performance. and this is the third or fourth time I am saying that yes, my opening post was an over-generalization. I had just watched the rose bowl performance for the third time, and the discontent was based on that. But in subsequent posts I have refined my stance, and said that his performances during breathe and GOYB has rarely been good on this tour. there have been great performances (I haven't watched the berlin ones yet, so am not gonna comment), but I felt that he could improve breathe. And no, the studio version doesn't seem out of breath as someone says, there seems to be an underlying melody that is straining to be let free even among the rapidly delivered lines, and this is the beauty of the song and Bono's exceptional skill. I am not asking him to do it exactly like the studio version, but at least capture the essence.

And it's ridiculous to make comparisons between you, me and bono beau99. Have you been an international rock star for thirty years? DO you have 100s of millions in your bank account. Have you been known as one of the best vocalists of all time? Do you sing under the claw? Well he does..... and forgive me for saying that a certain responsibility comes with that.

I am not asking him to stand still for the entire show, why would he when he sings brilliantly as it is for most of the show? Just a song here and there, the ones he knows and it seems all of you know (you admit as much when you make excuses about him jumping around and being able to sing, WOW:ohmy:) are a bit difficult and could be performed better if he just simmers down a bit, just for those one or two songs.

ANd to the one who asks why we don't focus on edge when he makes mistakes, well I don't blame Bono for his voice accidentally cracking, I never have. I am only pointing out that the shortness of breath (he's a vocalist for god's sake) can e helped and is not an accident, but he repeats it night after night. I have watched about 60 percent of the shows this tour (fanshot, but you don't need 320kbps to detect shortness of breath), and I am sorry but in all of them breathe wasn't up to scratch vocally. If you think that he sang breathe fine, then we just have to agree to disagree.:|

You seem to base your judgement mostly on bootlegs and you tube videos, while most of us who actually were at shows are saying that he DID sound fine. So why argue even further? I think a bootleg can never diplay the real quality of a performance.

I completely agree, those who went to the show have a better grasp of the performance. That's why I have repeatedly revised my stand and have said that its only the shortness of breath in breathe an GOYB that I take issue with. I even said a few posts ago that I am delighted to hear that all those who went to the show thought that he was singing well. I deferred to your judgement because I know I can't get a good idea from bootlegs.

But shortness of breath? Do I really have to be at the show to detect that? C'mon, stop using that as a club to beat me with, and say whether breathe has been sung to its potential.
You guys are acting like I'm a troll, when all I am saying is bono could be better in two songs if he reined himself in a bit.
Lighten up guys.

You seem to base your judgement mostly on bootlegs and you tube videos, while most of us who actually were at shows are saying that he DID sound fine. So why argue even further? I think a bootleg can never diplay the real quality of a performance.

And there are others who have gone to the show and thought that it was not all good, and there were a few problems, although the overall quality was brilliant by all accounts (again, happy to know). Are their opinions irrelevant too?

And I'll keep arguing as long as I want to, till I am blue in the face or shitting pink pellets:angry:, who are you to say? All you have to do is not click the thread that says "Bono, oh Bono!" and you are set.

Have a nice day

ANd to the one who asks why we don't focus on edge when he makes mistakes, well I don't blame Bono for his voice accidentally cracking, I never have. :|

That's not what I'm saying, I think that I understand that you want to do this criticism in a constructive way because you are a fan of Bono, but I don't agree with it because in the shows I have attended I haven't witnessed all these mistakes you are talking about, so I must conclude that you are imagining them from defficient recording, even if you don't believe it. I admit that running before COBL wasn't a wise move because it gave those who were suspicious, like you, a comfirmation that has nothing to do with the mayority of shows, and that was a mistake.

Then I asked why you, but not only you, people in this forum in general only focus on Bono's mistakes, why you don't start threads talking about the other three people in U2 making mistakes, I gave the example of Edge in Barcelona, but we could have talked about any of them, and of course you don't answer me, I suspect that most people in this forum don't even hear those mistakes and those who do have some knowledge of music, so they can understand why these things happen. Most people criticising here are sometimes only satisfying their own egos, but they don't do it with much basis, many don't know a word about music.

I still think it is very unfair to build such amount of negativity against Bono, he's not the only one to make mistakes and he's one of the best singers in the international panorama

I am with the OP on this matter. A high percentage of the singing performances i have heard, from MANY MANY shows on this tour, i have felt Bonos singing style has been very lazy/Uninspired/disinterested. This is from someone who grew up witnessing Bono put his all into his performances. ISHFWILF suffers terribly on this tour and i feel his voice is the poorest i have ever heard it. Just my opinion...not a scientific fact!

Marien, I really don't want to give the impression that I am needlessly arguing here, but one of my questions have not been answered. I have already said (This is probably the fifth time) that after reading the overwhelmingly positive response to his singing that my problem was with one or two songs. I don't know if you read my other posts in this thread, but in the post you were referencing I said, "I am not asking him to stand still for the entire show, why would he when he sings brilliantly as it is for most of the show?". There, that's acknowledgement that he's singing well for the most part, we are completely on the same page there. I am the first to admit when I am wrong, and my opening post was wrong because I was affected by the Rose Bowl which I am given to understand was one of his off nights. The post should have been more about shortness of breath and breathe and GOYB.

And I will never start a thread about slip-ups from the band members, any one of them. I haven't yet started a thread that asks "Why is Bono's voice cracking?", nor do I plan to. SLip-ups are part and parcel of any performance. And believe me I have heard the Edge mess it up on this tour, unknown caller to name just one. I would have started a thread if those slip-uups were due to edge roller blading around the stage while snorting coke off the speaker top. Because then he could actually do something about it. Take off the skates and stop snorting the powder.

But the question that has not been answered is, what about breathe? I said it in an earlier post, it's my favourite song from the album and it is the one song, along with GOYB which I do not care much for but has great live potential, that is repeatedly affected by the shortness of breath from him being too physically energetic.

Just to sum up, because I feel I am being misinterpreted repeatedly here (I would love to discuss this over a pint with all you guys because the forum is not always the most communicative medium), I agree with all of you about his singing being good. Ok, Let's not say agree, but I take your word for it because I haven't been at the concerts. But I must maintain that breathe has not been sung well. If anyone has a clip of it live (except the german talk show right after the album release)where Bono doesn't seem out of breath and actually sings the verses in tune I would love to hear it. Breathe and GOYB and shortness of breath, that's my issue, not the whole show, just that.

I'd just like to point out that Edge's mistakes are FEW and far between, and alot of them are due to equipment malfunction or a mistake by Dallas (unavoidable? who knows, who cares?) and never because Edge chose to do something that would cause him problems, like, sprinting around the ramp. Also, notably, when something happens with Edge's gear it get's pointed out usually by Bono in a good-natured humour way, which is fine...and sometimes the song is even restarted. Bono asked the band to restart Vertigo - not because Edge's guitar was completely inaudible - but because it didn't sound the way it normally does. Think about what I'm saying there.

Noone in this thread, period, is saying we expect Bono to sound like the album and if that means standing in one place for the entire show, so be it. NOONE. So those types of statements are irrelevant. What we are saying, well at least what I am saying, is that due to the level of physicality required for most of U2s songs, a move like sprinting around the ramp can in fact be viewed as a bad move. Alot of U2s songs can't be sung standing like a statue anyways, so he needs to be realistic and pace himself. He's sputtering and practically laughing (probably self-depreciatingly?) through most of COBL at the Rose Bowl. It affected him. And anyone who thinks that breathing doesn't affect singing has no idea, really.

i've noticed a lot of ppl on this forum making the "you cannot comment on Bono's (or the entire band's for that matter) performance if you haven't been to the show and have only listened to bootlegs etc."

that is utterly illogical bullshit. i have been a fan for more than 17 years but have unfortunately never had the chance to go see a U2 show. and yes when i listen to bootlegs of the 360 tour i am not in the same position as the people who were actually there to judge the band's performance. but i can compare their performance to the hundreds of earlier U2 bootlegs i have! i can say that Bono sounded better or worse at a certain 360 show than he did at some Vertigo or Elevation concert, based on listening to bootlegs alone....because the basis of comparison is the same

btw just to be clear, i think all in all, Bono was pretty solid throughout the first 2 legs

too true, henceforth I solemnly swear to sugarcoat.:love::wave::sexywink::hug::cute:

In all seriousness though, I am glad that most of you guys think that he is singing well. That's a relief because as I have said I live far away from where the action is, and it's nice to hear from people who go to the shows. But I am serious about breathe and to a lesser degree GOYB. Something should be done there IMO. Breathe is too good a song not to be done properly. Along with MOS, UC and NLOTH, I feel it is the song that will be remembered from the last album.

how is breathe supposed to be done properly? they play it the way it was recorded. if they didnt it would be a different song :huh:

Back
Top Bottom