Bono is a crappy guitar player...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tabmanmatt

The Fly
I mean, I love the guy but...I really believe he only plays the guitar onstage to either (A) look cooler or (B) have his own rhythm in his "in-ears"...

Sorry I'm a musician so I love analyzing this stuff!

It changes from song to song. Some songs he serves no purpose on whatsoever. Others he plays a pretty important part. I'll give him credit: he's doing a lot more on The Fly this tour than he ever has (playing along with Adam after the chorus is a really nice touch).

This is not news....in fact, you might be the first to put the words Bono, guitar, and player in the same sentence. :)

It changes from song to song. Some songs he serves no purpose on whatsoever. Others he plays a pretty important part. I'll give him credit: he's doing a lot more on The Fly this tour than he ever has (playing along with Adam after the chorus is a really nice touch).

It's quite funny on the 'Glastonbury Fly', at one point i think Bono forgets which chord he's supposed to be playing and quickly goes from an A to a G, or something, then does my trick of just fumbling for any old chord

On the Vertigo tour live dvd, his guitar is way up in the mix for "The Fly" to the point it ruins the song.

Brian Eno has said that Bono has become a better guitar player over the years and that he actually has some good ideas. Now i kind off agree with you some times i cant make out what Bono is playing, And sometimes i can. I know what he is playing during No Line,The Fly and now i understand what he is playing in One.

I heard Bono's guitar in every song he had it on for over the last 3 shows. I think he adds to The Fly, for example.

Yup, and on the early 2010 shows his added solo to One was a very nice touch. :up:

He doesn't play much, but when he does it's an improvement. Tho during the Vertigo tour he usually wore guitar rather than played it.

I doubt if you've been playing guitar for 30 years, you could be considered "crappy". It doesn't mean Bono's a virtuoso by any means, but he can certainly play more than three chords by this point.

Whether he adds anything to the songs live, though, is another debate. There's definitely a few songs in the past where he's added something to it though.

Guys, true story: when U2 first got together, Bono thought he would be the guitarist. Apparently he wanted to play the guitar very badly. And lo and behold, that's how it all turned out, he plays the guitar very badly! Get it? He plays badly! Ahahahahahaha..hahaha.ha.......ha........h......nevermind.

Anyways, I can't remember where I read that, I just did.

I'm not gonna prove it either, I've been around here and a fan long enough that you should just trust me.

Or you can Google it.

:wink:

I doubt if you've been playing guitar for 30 years, you could be considered "crappy". It doesn't mean Bono's a virtuoso by any means, but he can certainly play more than three chords by this point.

Whether he adds anything to the songs live, though, is another debate. There's definitely a few songs in the past where he's added something to it though.

fan since ACHTUNG, ...when I first got exposed to U2 and bono, I could only recall watching Rattle & Hum, Joshua Tree clips, Unforgettable Fire clips, and I could swear bono not giving three shits and rocking out with a guitar like a rock-star does, and so what has changed now? ...I'd think with age, the opposite could have been said!!!! ...a more savvy more experienced guitar player perhaps??? :hmm: bono bono bono :doh: ...can't win em all lol

Remember when Bono played guitar on almost every song durning love town? I thought that was cool..

Yeah, his guitar playing probably actually peaked during Lovetown. Besides what silkensky posted re: Hawkmoon, he also added a lot to some versions of All I Want Is You (including mini-solos in the outro on a few occasions) and All Along The Watchtower.

After a few decent spurts on ZooTV, his guitar playing then seemed to decline, and by Elevation he was pretty much just wearing the guitar. Who the fuck thought it'd be a good idea for him to put it on during I Will Follow?! But he seems to be back in some decent form this tour ... shame NLOTH is long gone from the setlist!

Axver said:
Yeah, his guitar playing probably actually peaked during Lovetown. Besides what silkensky posted re: Hawkmoon, he also added a lot to some versions of All I Want Is You (including mini-solos in the outro on a few occasions) and All Along The Watchtower.

After a few decent spurts on ZooTV, his guitar playing then seemed to decline, and by Elevation he was pretty much just wearing the guitar. Who the fuck thought it'd be a good idea for him to put it on during I Will Follow?! But he seems to be back in some decent form this tour ... shame NLOTH is long gone from the setlist!

I know I never understood why he played guitar during I will fallow.

My very very VERY favourite. Brings tears to my eyes. :lol::lol::lol:

‪U2 - Stand By Me (Stockholm,1992)‬‏ - YouTube

And as soon as I shot this one in Toronto this year, I thought....

"What do I do with this thing?!"

360-Toronto-123-X2.jpg

Still love you, B ;)

Oh I totally forgot, love the Streets intro that he does. :D And if you check the IEM from Brussels 23rd sept, you can CLEARLY hear him play alongside Edge(well couple of notes each time, but still), it sounds pretty nice.

Back
Top Bottom