Bono is a crappy guitar player...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What chords does he play during The Fly? Cause I've been trying to figure that out so that when my buddies and I go to open mic out and my one friend kicks me off of lead guitar, I can grab another one and act like Bono when we do a cover of that song. :D

I thought he was pretty good Zoo-TV era, he didn't sound bad at all and his amp was turned up. I think he just got lazy and decided to wear it without playing anything.

I never hear his guitar and I always call it "his toy" :wink: , because he doesnt really play it.
I quote myself haha.
Well, I only hear it in the "Bono solos", for example, Vertigo Tour and in "Will you still love me tomorrow" that some of you´ve posted. But I don´t know if I like how he plays.

I mean, he's not a great guitar player, but I personally don't think it's that bad. Most of the time that you can actually hear him playing I think it subtly adds to the songs rather than ruin them.

‪U2 The Fly - Glastonbury 2011‬‏ - YouTube

(Listen how he joins in at 0:18 during the intro. It's subtle, but it does IMO add some extra weight to the intro)

I quote myself haha.
Well, I only hear it in the "Bono solos", for example, Vertigo Tour and in "Will you still love me tomorrow" that some of you´ve posted. But I don´t know if I like how he plays.

Then perhaps you should listen more closely before you claim he doesn't really play. Even on the past two tours it was audible enough to hear what he played.

I doubt if you've been playing guitar for 30 years, you could be considered "crappy". It doesn't mean Bono's a virtuoso by any means, but he can certainly play more than three chords by this point.

Whether he adds anything to the songs live, though, is another debate. There's definitely a few songs in the past where he's added something to it though.

I would think so too. I have been playing guitar for only a few weeks and can play at least six chords. I'm not great at it, but I can change from chord to chord without stopping. Learn to stum down on open strings during the transition.

(Listen how he joins in at 0:18 during the intro. It's subtle, but it does IMO add some extra weight to the intro)

That's just one sustained strum though. Any monkey could do that after a day of learning. Compare the music at 0:41 when you can see him playing to the same portion of music at 1:11 when he's not playing. Not much difference

That's just one sustained strum though. Any monkey could do that after a day of learning.

Well, to be honest, I don't care if a monkey could do that. It sounds good. Most of the time Bono plays the guitar it sounds good. Is that not what makes a good guitar player? As an example, listen to how Edge plays the outro to WOWY without all the effects:

‪The Edge - With Or Without You‬‏ - YouTube

Does the simplicity make it a bad guitar-segment? Well, I don't think so, it sounds damn good in the song.

What chords does he play during The Fly? Cause I've been trying to figure that out so that when my buddies and I go to open mic out and my one friend kicks me off of lead guitar, I can grab another one and act like Bono when we do a cover of that song. :D
What has been said already is basically true, the only thing is the solo has some extra chords thrown in you have to look out for. Try and play along with the bass.

Well, to be honest, I don't care if a monkey could do that. It sounds good. Most of the time Bono plays the guitar it sounds good. Is that not what makes a good guitar player? As an example, listen to how Edge plays the outro to WOWY without all the effects:

It does sound good, but I dont agree that's what makes a good guitar player. I realize the outro to WOWY is easy. So is the beginning to Streets. But it's not the easy bits that makes a player good, it's the harder bits. Otherwise everyone would be a good guitar player because each of those could be picked up in an less than an hour. Not trying to start some pointless back and forth, just sayin' :)

PLaying guitar isn't his job and it really doesn't matter if he's any good.

It's a prop. You think Mick Jagger is really adding a lot to the mix when he plays the strat on "Miss You?"

Of course not. Guitars make you look cool, and provide you with a 5 minute rest where you don't have to drag your aging bones all over the stage.

Bono is no spring chicken either, so there you go.

I actually think that him playing guitar on I WILL FOLLOW was great... except that you couldn't hear anything

I was watching Popmart Mexico DVD the other day and to my suprise Bono started desire o the accoustic, he can play if he really wants to

PLaying guitar isn't his job and it really doesn't matter if he's any good.

It's a prop. You think Mick Jagger is really adding a lot to the mix when he plays the strat on "Miss You?"

Of course not. Guitars make you look cool, and provide you with a 5 minute rest where you don't have to drag your aging bones all over the stage.

Bono is no spring chicken either, so there you go.

yeah?
well i'd like to some 35 yr olds keep up w B's stage performance........

:D

I mean, he's not a great guitar player, but I personally don't think it's that bad. Most of the time that you can actually hear him playing I think it subtly adds to the songs rather than ruin them.

‪U2 The Fly - Glastonbury 2011‬‏ - YouTube

subtle?! it's louder in the mix than edge's!

Back
Top Bottom